Some stuff from our recent TLX training in TX.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 06:31 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
C'mon Weather, you know you like that white one...
Old 04-20-2014, 06:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I did want a white one...so BADLY!! I am not sure if my sales manager was joking with me but he told me that he has a white with a black interior on order for me (I think he was just joking...it was a text and never had a chance to follow up with him....I'll be there on Thursday/Friday).

I still can't help but feel soooooo underwhelmed but maybe when I see it in the flesh with a bodykit and accessory wheels from a different year, it could be salvageable. I am still distraught by that interior though....YIKES!
Old 04-20-2014, 06:47 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Seeing is believing. Just hold out a little bit longer. You might just be pleasantly surprised.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Treblig
Just hold out a little bit longer. You might just be pleasantly surprised.
I used that same line on my g/f.....she is still waiting
The following users liked this post:
Acura_Dude (04-20-2014)
Old 04-20-2014, 10:07 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Old 04-20-2014, 10:27 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
I did want a white one...so BADLY!! I am not sure if my sales manager was joking with me but he told me that he has a white with a black interior on order for me (I think he was just joking...it was a text and never had a chance to follow up with him....I'll be there on Thursday/Friday).

I still can't help but feel soooooo underwhelmed but maybe when I see it in the flesh with a bodykit and accessory wheels from a different year, it could be salvageable. I am still distraught by that interior though....YIKES!
Weather, I can't help but to think that the TLX will look much better in person, and hopefully the drive will be even more engaging than the 4G TL SH-AWD. Then we have a winner.

Hang in there, my friend!

P.S. See how good that white TLX looks!? I cannot wait to see the white on brown combination - wow, that reminds me of the gorgeous colour combination of BMW :-)
weather (04-21-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 07:11 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by ostrich
Weather, I can't help but to think that the TLX will look much better in person, and hopefully the drive will be even more engaging than the 4G TL SH-AWD. Then we have a winner.

Hang in there, my friend!

P.S. See how good that white TLX looks!? I cannot wait to see the white on brown combination - wow, that reminds me of the gorgeous colour combination of BMW :-)
I can confirm that the car does look better in person than it does in photos. Somehow, Acura's cars seem not to photograph as well (or maybe their photographers need to be shuffled), but in person, they have much more presence.

You can see the photos I shot at the NYIAS and decide for yourselves.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=308
internalaudit (04-21-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 07:18 AM
Suzuka Master

^^ I had seen your pics and they are better than some of the one I had seen. That being said, you are correct in that Acura vehicles are the least photogenic vehicle I have ever seen - It's unexplainable!
Old 04-21-2014, 08:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
Looks like its another White with Ebony for me if I pull the trigger in October! My current lease expires this month and I'm going to extend it 6 more months allowing for TLX "shakedown", inventory build-up and discounts.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:42 AM
Racer

Received 234 Likes on 82 Posts
COREY....WOW!! It is amazingly refreshing to hear someone in the auto industry to give solid advice to people....I have been saying this too, having 2 new and unproven transmission is not something I am overly comfortable in jumping blindly in.
Thank you! Look at honda's past? There first generations of new transmissions were never the best. With the exception of the 6at in the 12+ TL, but that's based on the same archetecture as it's previous 5at.

Originally Posted by Treblig
Corey, when is MMC? Would that be 2017?
2-3 years after launch. More on the 3 side.

Originally Posted by tsturbo
Corey,

Did they say why they are not doing Advance trim on the 4 cylinder?

What else did they say about the RDX? I am very stoked this will be getting Advance package. Will the current non DI V6 still be used or will it be the DI 3.5? Will it get the new 9 speed transmission?

Thanks
They did not say why you cannot get the advanced on the 4 cylinder, not yet at least. I would expect this at some point in it's life.

We have not heard anything about the powertrain or engine for the MMC RDX just the additon of the advanced package, updated center consol, and rear a/c vents.

Originally Posted by Tonyware
I think this is aluminum painted black. Powder coating perhaps. At least the throttle body better be metal - lol!!!! What I noticed is that nicely covered alternator, looks very "bulletproof". I also wonder if that bolt-on piece in front of the tranny is just a protective cover or actually something to unbolt for easy access to the internals of the tranny without removing the entire thing. Interesting stuff...
I highly doubt that it's been pouder coated, this would cost money, and any expense that can be cut, almost certainly will be. If it was going to be metal it would be left unexposed, what you see here is Acura going down the aweful, cheap path of GM with plastic IM's, Valve covers, and throttle bodys.

I think that plastic cover in front of the transmission is for easy servicing the filter, shift solonoids, etc. Maybe for easier maitinence.

Originally Posted by Colin
Here is the color matrix for V6 FWD models...what a nightmare
Christ.... It's going to be a nightmare to dealertrade for the car that people want. With that many combinations it really does become a pain in the a#s to get people the car they want when there are none in the nearest 3 states and 2 accross the US.

Rocketsfan....LMAO!! I have quite the reputation don't I

I keep wondering if Acura is going to pull a Rabbit out of its hat and offer us a Type-S by the fall with a integrated bodykit directly from the factory making it look almost similar to the prototype and sporting dual exhausts. If you recall, the designer was saying at some point, visible exhaust tips would make to the production....could that be or did I have too much wine for supper *lol*
Don't hold you breath, I know I was praying that durring launch one would come out, that the executive who was in charge of the much loved 3G TL who came back to work on this car could change that. But to no avail. I really truly believe the A-SPEC and Type-S of this once great company have completely been killed by executives who believe they needed to be eliminated in order present a more 'grown up' brand, and in the process of trying to do so they killed the companys soul when it comes to building a sports car.
Gen4MDX (04-21-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 09:29 AM
Volvo Defector

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
I went to the NY Auto show on Saturday and was REALLY looking forward to the TLX. After visiting the Acura booth I left there somewhat puzzled. The TLX was locked from the public so we couldn't sit in it which was disappointing considering this is supposed to be the production model.
I couldn't help but echo the same thing everyone has been saying. This is what the 4G should have been in terms of looks. Perhaps not powertrain as this technology didnt exist back in 09 but this current model looks like a more refined and mature 3G than an evolution off the 4G.

When I first saw the 3G in the show room(MMC 2007 year), there was a chemical reaction inside me that said I MUST have this car. Either it was just the color they brought(blue) or I'm getting older, but I didnt get that same feeling this time around. The TLX powertrain and interior will have to Wow me in order for me to put down this kind of cash as this market segment is a lot more competitive now.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:00 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by reddogTL
I went to the NY Auto show on Saturday and was REALLY looking forward to the TLX. After visiting the Acura booth I left there somewhat puzzled. The TLX was locked from the public so we couldn't sit in it which was disappointing considering this is supposed to be the production model.
I couldn't help but echo the same thing everyone has been saying. This is what the 4G should have been in terms of looks. Perhaps not powertrain as this technology didnt exist back in 09 but this current model looks like a more refined and mature 3G than an evolution off the 4G.

When I first saw the 3G in the show room(MMC 2007 year), there was a chemical reaction inside me that said I MUST have this car. Either it was just the color they brought(blue) or I'm getting older, but I didnt get that same feeling this time around. The TLX powertrain and interior will have to Wow me in order for me to put down this kind of cash as this market segment is a lot more competitive now.
The car has been locked since after the press days. Was not able to get my contact to confirm why this was done, but he was kind enough to open it for me before the public was allowed in on Saturday morning. That said, I too was hoping to like the blue, but it does not pop as much as I had hoped and I think I am likely more likely to look into the bronze color.

I think you will be generally pleased with the interior, especially if you like the way the new RLX and MDX interiors look. Performance-wise, we will have to see what the car rags put out after they drive it, but what I have been able to piece together from rumors is that the car is going to be quieter than the 4G, but handle better, accelerate quicker, and return better fuel economy.

Last edited by CGTSX2004; 04-21-2014 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:47 PM
Volvo Defector

Originally Posted by Corey_Straker
We have not heard anything about the powertrain or engine for the MMC RDX just the additon of the advanced package, updated center consol, and rear a/c vents.
I know there hasn't been a response to this thread in a while but I was thinking about the 2016 MMC RDX. Now that the 2014 MDX has been selling like hotcakes I think Acura would have to update the RDX's powertrain. Especially since now both the MDX and RDX have the same fuel economy numbers even though the MDX is 300-400lbs heavier.

Since AWD has been confirmed across all models, including ILX which will most likely get the i4 with DCT, would it be possible they could also try to squeeze a variant of the i4 with DCT into an RDX? I know weight vs. performance would be a factor here but lets crunch the numbers:

2014 MDX FWD 4025 lbs
2014 MDX AWD 4255 lbs
2014 RDX FWD 3717 lbs
2014 RDX AWD 3838 lbs
2015 TLX FWD i4 3483
2015 TLX FWD V6 3585

TLX numbers taken from www.tlxthrill.com

It looks like the V6 vs i4 on TLX is 100lbs difference so lets say the FWD RDX drops from 3717 to 3617lbs in i4 guise. That's only 134lbs heavier than the i4 TLX. With the TLX's 0-60 numbers around 6.5-7 seconds i think that's still definitely plausible for the RDX with the right tuning from the engineers. An RDX i4 with AWD will probably be around 250lbs heavier than i4 TLX.

This thought process is provoked because I've always wanted an SUV but with decent performance numbers and good fuel economy. Wishful thinking I guess
Old 07-15-2014, 03:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Since AWD has been confirmed across all models, including ILX
I need to say that this has NOT BEEN CONFIRMED! In fact, this is the ONLY place and ONLY time that I've seen this suggested.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:23 PM
Volvo Defector

I need to say that this has NOT BEEN CONFIRMED! In fact, this is the ONLY place and ONLY time that I've seen this suggested.
Noted. Not confirmed for ILX but if they already have an i4(5AT) CRV mated with 185hp they should be able to mate the new i4(DCT) 206hp to AWD for the RDX. It would need different gearing ratios and a retuned suspension for the lighter weight but I think its doable. It could be comparable to Audi Q5 2.0T, BMW X3 2.0T, or new Lexus NX SUV with turbo 4 coming out.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:27 PM
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 42 Posts
Noted. Not confirmed for ILX but if they already have an i4(5AT) CRV mated with 185hp they should be able to mate the new i4(DCT) 206hp to AWD for the RDX. It would need different gearing ratios and a retuned suspension for the lighter weight but I think its doable. It could be comparable to Audi Q5 2.0T, BMW X3 2.0T, or new Lexus NX SUV with turbo 4 coming out.
The base RDX with a V6 is already cheaper than all it's competitors.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Of course they can, but they have yet to mate AWD with a 4 cylinder for Acura (the Turbo 4 was different since it used the RL tranny). IMO, they do not need to pursue this route, and would be better served bringing the SUV-X to the US market and adding a Advance Package to the current RDX at MMC

Old 07-15-2014, 08:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
I know there hasn't been a response to this thread in a while but I was thinking about the 2016 MMC RDX. Now that the 2014 MDX has been selling like hotcakes I think Acura would have to update the RDX's powertrain. Especially since now both the MDX and RDX have the same fuel economy numbers even though the MDX is 300-400lbs heavier.

Since AWD has been confirmed across all models, including ILX which will most likely get the i4 with DCT, would it be possible they could also try to squeeze a variant of the i4 with DCT into an RDX? I know weight vs. performance would be a factor here but lets crunch the numbers:

2014 MDX FWD 4025 lbs
2014 MDX AWD 4255 lbs
2014 RDX FWD 3717 lbs
2014 RDX AWD 3838 lbs
2015 TLX FWD i4 3483
2015 TLX FWD V6 3585

TLX numbers taken from www.tlxthrill.com

It looks like the V6 vs i4 on TLX is 100lbs difference so lets say the FWD RDX drops from 3717 to 3617lbs in i4 guise. That's only 134lbs heavier than the i4 TLX. With the TLX's 0-60 numbers around 6.5-7 seconds i think that's still definitely plausible for the RDX with the right tuning from the engineers. An RDX i4 with AWD will probably be around 250lbs heavier than i4 TLX.

This thought process is provoked because I've always wanted an SUV but with decent performance numbers and good fuel economy. Wishful thinking I guess
I like your thinking and hope they do this and/or use their new upcoming turbo 4, BUT.....I want the Advance package on the I4 TLX and Acura is not giving us that option unfortunately
Old 07-15-2014, 08:43 PM
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts
Colin, do you know if the 4cyl TLX wTech will have upgraded 18 in wheels? In a few threads I've seen Acura has had them on the 4cylinders. The 17s are heinous!
Old 07-15-2014, 08:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by A4toTL
Colin, do you know if the 4cyl TLX wTech will have upgraded 18 in wheels? In a few threads I've seen Acura has had them on the 4cylinders. The 17s are heinous!
I have no idea, I'm trying to figure out what wheels come with what car myself!?
A4toTL (07-15-2014)
Old 07-15-2014, 09:00 PM
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts
I have no idea, I'm trying to figure out what wheels come with what car myself!?
Glad I'm not the only one!
Old 07-15-2014, 09:22 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ I'm leaning towards "no" on different rims. The only rim upgrade mentioned in our 'feature walk' material is the upgrade to 18" rims for V-6 models.
A4toTL (07-15-2014)
Old 07-16-2014, 06:53 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by A4toTL
Glad I'm not the only one!
^^You're not, I'm confused too.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:43 AM
Volvo Defector

Originally Posted by tsturbo
I like your thinking and hope they do this and/or use their new upcoming turbo 4, BUT.....I want the Advance package on the I4 TLX and Acura is not giving us that option unfortunately
I completely agree with you. I dont NEED a V6, its a want. I average 2,000 miles per month with my commute and the Adaptive Cruise Control with better fuel economy just makes more sense for people that commute a lot.
It befuddles me why this isn't an option.

V6 Tech Package: $39,250
V6 Adv Package: $42,500
-------------------------
Difference: $3,250

i4 Tech Package: $35,025
Possible Adv Pkg: +$3,250
i4 Advance Pkg: $38,275

V6 Adv Pkg: $42,500
Difference: $4,225

Those of us that want this package would pay $4,225 less.

Last edited by reddogTL; 07-17-2014 at 11:52 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by reddogTL:
Acura_Dude (07-17-2014), Gen4MDX (07-17-2014), Rocket_man (07-17-2014)
Old 07-17-2014, 11:53 AM
Team Owner

I was told by an Acura PR rep at the NYAIS that the I4 would have one standard wheel selection and the V6 would get a different one. The only optional wheels are the dual-color accessory wheels that were shown on the cars at NYAIS.

Personally, I would be asking my dealership to swap a set of the 18-inch wheels onto the car if I am ordering the I4. The standard 17-inch wheel design is utterly grotesquely atrocious.
The following 3 users liked this post by CGTSX2004:
a35tl (07-17-2014), A4toTL (07-17-2014), Gen4MDX (07-17-2014)
Old 07-17-2014, 04:21 PM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts
Where is Corey_Straker with his inside info??? Looks like Acura Corporate got to him after all. His inside scoops were great. He's proly locked up in some building along with Acura's RWD plans
Old 07-17-2014, 04:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 891 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally Posted by dmski
Where is Corey_Straker with his inside info??? Looks like Acura Corporate got to him after all. His inside scoops were great. He's proly locked up in some building along with Acura's RWD plans
He's still active on the forum but he mentioned in a post that he no longer works for Acura, so... yeah
Old 07-17-2014, 06:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by randomRon82
He's still active on the forum but he mentioned in a post that he no longer works for Acura, so... yeah
Wonder if all his inside scoop stuff got him in trouble?
Old 07-17-2014, 07:06 PM
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
Wonder if all his inside scoop stuff got him in trouble?
Well duh. IIRC he even scoffed at my suggestion that sharing everything for free on the internet, whether it be car info or a copy of the Lego movie, is not a good idea. I'm sure he would tell a completely different story as to why he no longer works for Acura though.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:40 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
I completely agree with you. I dont NEED a V6, its a want. I average 2,000 miles per month with my commute and the Adaptive Cruise Control with better fuel economy just makes more sense for people that commute a lot.
It befuddles me why this isn't an option.

V6 Tech Package: $39,250
V6 Adv Package: $42,500
Difference: $3,250

i4 Tech Package: $35,025
Possible Adv Pkg: +$3,250

V6 Adv Pkg: $42,500
Difference: $4,225

Those of us that want this package would pay $4,225 less.
I'd love to have an I4 Advanced Option. After looking at what I'd get in the advance package I'm leaning towards an Advanced over the Tech. But it looks like I'd have to pay for the V6. Some of the cost difference between the I4 and V6 are those horrible wheels, and the passenger 8-way seats. So even though I may end up with the V6, I won't complain about the added power, better wheels, passenger seats. The fuel efficiency is pretty good for a V6. And it will get me a little better resale value someday so not as big of a loss.
Gen4MDX (07-18-2014)
Old 07-17-2014, 11:10 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
I'd love to have an I4 Advanced Option. After looking at what I'd get in the advance package I'm leaning towards an Advanced over the Tech. But it looks like I'd have to pay for the V6. Some of the cost difference between the I4 and V6 are those horrible wheels, and the passenger 8-way seats. So even though I may end up with the V6, I won't complain about the added power, better wheels, passenger seats. The fuel efficiency is pretty good for a V6. And it will get me a little better resale value someday so not as big of a loss.
Another difference is only the V6 has that elec tranny shifter, as well as those fancy automatic features u mentioned in another thread