Msrp

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 11:16 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Msrp

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but are people considering it standard to simply pay full MSRP for the first couple months after the car hits the dealer lot? Or is full MSRP for people who are pre-ordering, and is it expected that dealers will actually be at least somewhat negotiable off that if you walked in to buy within the first few weeks of release? I'm not even sure I totally understand the special pre-order "incentive" being offered, but sounds like you agree to pay full MSRP and get $500 credit toward dealer options. That doesn't necessarily sound like that great if dealers might be negotiating somewhere under MSRP relatively soon after release.

Obviously it may all depend with nothing for certain at this point, but sounds like some of you have experience with how things work with newly released vehicles. I have no clue how things work when a newly designed vehicle is released, but the TLX is on my short list for an upgrade that needs to happen sooner rather than later. So any insights about this stuff is appreciated.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:28 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I want to see what the invoice prices are first. General rule of thumb is to decide on a deal of $250-750 over invoice (usually $500) less incentives.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:26 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
I'm guessing there won't be much dealing the first few months unless the car is a complete dud. Even then, you would think it'd take a month or two to determine it's a dud.

I was kind of hoping there would be better incentives if you pre-order. Accessories usually look like they're overpriced anyway. But then I thought the car is already priced pretty well from the looks of it for what it offers.

My only concern is if there will be scarcity of the product initially. My dealer said they were only getting like 9 cars initially, which made me wonder when the next shipment would come in. lol.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
It will all depend on basic marketing 101, supply and demand. If they can not keep them on the lot then I expect them to b close to MSRP. I got very little discount on my 04 TL because they were just coming out and actually had to wait a week for the car to show up. Every car since then I get close to invoice or invoice. My 09 AWD TL was not a great deal because they were rare in Georgia and I had to get it from TN and the dealer knew he had the only Palladium Tech AWD in the south and that I wanted it.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:57 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeAmmo
I want to see what the invoice prices are first. General rule of thumb is to decide on a deal of $250-750 over invoice (usually $500) less incentives.
so lets say theoretically if the invoice of the base v6 is 33k, you would negotiate for 33.5? Taxes, fees, destination charge not included right?
Old 07-20-2014, 06:25 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
That is part of the tradeoff of not waiting. Early adopters will pay MSRP or close to it because the dealer is in the power position. The other tradeoff is the risk of dealing with defects and glitches.

I'm patient enough to wait, I don't ever buy a 1st yr redesign. I am usually able to play hardball and get the price $2-3K BELOW invoice like I did on my TL.
The following users liked this post:
Healingduck (07-21-2014)
Old 07-20-2014, 07:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TLX35
so lets say theoretically if the invoice of the base v6 is 33k, you would negotiate for 33.5? Taxes, fees, destination charge not included right?
Yes
Old 07-20-2014, 08:49 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,607 Likes on 967 Posts
there is a deal in Quebec, i know some who works there already sold 33 TLX. People reserved the car before even seeing it. Just based on pictures and internet sites.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:10 AM
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
there is a deal in Quebec, i know some who works there already sold 33 TLX. People reserved the car before even seeing it. Just based on pictures and internet sites.
Interesting. What deal exactly?
Old 07-21-2014, 02:38 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
If you are a good customer is a local dealer maybe they cut you a little slack on early cars, but otherwise I'd expect to pay MSRP or pretty close until supply matches demand. That could be months. Maybe early in 2015 even. If I buy I'll test the waters but I'm expecting to wait several months at least. There are three large Acura dealers in Houston. Once there is a good supply I know I can get a decent price

My wife just ordered a new Mini. It is a brand new model and a nice upgrade from the outgoing Mini. The car is a special order, we paid MSRP minus $250. Most are paying MSRP. But if you can find one on the lot you can get a deal since many buyers custom order the car. But Acura is not a car that people custom order so I'd expect the price will come down once supply is adequate.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:00 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
If you are a good customer is a local dealer maybe they cut you a little slack on early cars, but otherwise I'd expect to pay MSRP or pretty close until supply matches demand. That could be months. Maybe early in 2015 even. If I buy I'll test the waters but I'm expecting to wait several months at least. There are three large Acura dealers in Houston. Once there is a good supply I know I can get a decent price

My wife just ordered a new Mini. It is a brand new model and a nice upgrade from the outgoing Mini. The car is a special order, we paid MSRP minus $250. Most are paying MSRP. But if you can find one on the lot you can get a deal since many buyers custom order the car. But Acura is not a car that people custom order so I'd expect the price will come down once supply is adequate.
The tale of two deals:

1) I bought my 13 Accord the day before they officially went on sale. Paid MSRP for it. They weren't willing to move on price at all and while I could have played the "pit the local dealers against themselves" game I decided to save the bother and bite the bullet. It's been a great car so I have no regrets.

2) My wife bought her 13 Mazda 3 a month before the 14's were supposed to hit the lots. We drove off the lot after paying a couple hundred $$ under the invoice. They wanted/needed to move the car so they dropped their pants.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:43 PM
Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 9-2014

Received 55 Likes on 22 Posts
My local dealer is saying pricing is list and they already have deposits on 3 of the 13 they have coming in...BUT... they are part of the Advantage program which states:
1. $500 credit on Acura Genuine Accessories (at MSRP) after TLX vehicle purchase (basically a free spoiler)
and more importantly-
2. Exclusively for returning Acura owners, a loyalty reward equal to two (2) monthly payments up to a total of $1,000

Furthermore the 299/m 2.4 and 349/m 3.5 lease with $2500 down puts the price close to $1000 off the cap cost from retail I think.... also interesting to note is that the 3.5 price is almost the same as the 2.4+tech, so you would imagine a 2.4+ Tech is going to run you $349 as well.

Thus in my mind about $1000 off MSRP is reasonable with zero negotiation since it is already part of the program.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:42 PM
King of NYC

I guess Acura is lovin it when people are lining up like this. This is what they want. You'll end up the first on the block with it and all you'll get all the attention and stares while driving on the road. But I can't call it smart deal making. The only good thing is that you are getting a 2015 model early so that helps your resale value down the road. But so what, next year models are usually out in the fall anyways.

As I said I don't buy a 1st yr run. But I once helped negotiate a deal for my mom's 2007 ES350 that was redesigned for that year. There was a line for that car too initially. People paid sticker in 2006 and waited. I waited until around March/April 2007. I played aggressive with the "pit dealer vs. dealer" game. I walked away with a $42k car for a $35.5 deal. That is so far below invoice that the Lexus forum didn't believe me. Most of those fools all paid sticker. Didn't have to wait for the car either. Signed the check, drove the car off the lot. Essentially just for waiting another 3 months than the rest of them. That is how a deal is done.
GhostTL09 (07-23-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 08:55 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. It sounds like the pre-order option isn't a very good deal, especially if you aren't a current Acura owner (which I'm not) and can take advantage of the extra money offered toward payments. Although, I'm curious about what type of additional discount one might get offered if you pre-ordered with a refundable down payment, but then decided to back out after a test drive for whatever reason. I'd think maybe the dealer would want to work with you a bit on pricing at that point.

When does invoice pricing usually become known?
Old 07-23-2014, 09:15 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by netter123
Thanks for all the replies. It sounds like the pre-order option isn't a very good deal, especially if you aren't a current Acura owner (which I'm not) and can take advantage of the extra money offered toward payments. Although, I'm curious about what type of additional discount one might get offered if you pre-ordered with a refundable down payment, but then decided to back out after a test drive for whatever reason. I'd think maybe the dealer would want to work with you a bit on pricing at that point.

When does invoice pricing usually become known?
No dealership will be pressed to discount a tlx. Demand will succeed supply, so no matter what tactic you try I think they'll pass. The first couple months or so is really the only opportunity a dealership gets to full sticker a new car. I suggest waiting a few months
Old 07-23-2014, 11:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by rockyfeller
I guess Acura is lovin it when people are lining up like this. This is what they want. You'll end up the first on the block with it and all you'll get all the attention and stares while driving on the road. But I can't call it smart deal making. The only good thing is that you are getting a 2015 model early so that helps your resale value down the road. But so what, next year models are usually out in the fall anyways.

As I said I don't buy a 1st yr run. But I once helped negotiate a deal for my mom's 2007 ES350 that was redesigned for that year. There was a line for that car too initially. People paid sticker in 2006 and waited. I waited until around March/April 2007. I played aggressive with the "pit dealer vs. dealer" game. I walked away with a $42k car for a $35.5 deal. That is so far below invoice that the Lexus forum didn't believe me. Most of those fools all paid sticker. Didn't have to wait for the car either. Signed the check, drove the car off the lot. Essentially just for waiting another 3 months than the rest of them. That is how a deal is done.
Not all people care about getting a deal. I have a few friends that really don't care about invoice, rebates, incentives and the like. I've asked each of them on several occasions why they don't take their time to research and or wait. The overall impression I got from them is their time is more valuable spent elsewhere. Walk in, see the car they want & sign papers. Worst way of doing it but hey who am I to judge when they own boats bigger than my house.
rockyfeller (07-23-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 11:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 674 Likes on 365 Posts
I absolutely have to have a deal. My local dealer is trying to give away a 2014 Tech Package TL for $30k. Salesman is my Frat Brother and the Owner. Sticker is $40,000. LOL. They just sold their last Special Edition for $7000k under sticker. Hell I'd get a 2014 and trade that baby in for the improved 2017 TLX. But the question is how many people can really hold their pee after waiting for a remodel since, well, hey 2009!
Old 07-23-2014, 01:05 PM
King of NYC

Originally Posted by ggesq
Not all people care about getting a deal. I have a few friends that really don't care about invoice, rebates, incentives and the like. I've asked each of them on several occasions why they don't take their time to research and or wait. The overall impression I got from them is their time is more valuable spent elsewhere. Walk in, see the car they want & sign papers. Worst way of doing it but hey who am I to judge when they own boats bigger than my house.
Yep I hear ya. I'm usually the "go to" person in my networks to work a deal. Some ask and I'm happy to help. I do the same if it is something I am not familiar with, I want advice.

But there are a fair number of those who don't care for help, nor do they actually really care about getting a deal, it's very true. They just want what they want, when they want it and they want to do it their way. It's a great feeling to make a solid purchase and walk away with it. It's that much greater when it is the best deal in town. There is actually a thrill in it. I don't see how these people don't see that.

Someone with a lot of money may feel good but as I always say you're just making someone else a millionaire.
ggesq (07-23-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 02:01 PM
Hello World

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ggesq
Not all people care about getting a deal. I have a few friends that really don't care about invoice, rebates, incentives and the like.
How long after a new model arrives does it usually take to know invoice price?

Any idea how much below MSRP it should be possible to pay for a SH-AWD Tech?
Old 07-24-2014, 02:22 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 05Tilly
I absolutely have to have a deal. My local dealer is trying to give away a 2014 Tech Package TL for $30k. Salesman is my Frat Brother and the Owner. Sticker is $40,000. LOL. They just sold their last Special Edition for $7000k under sticker. Hell I'd get a 2014 and trade that baby in for the improved 2017 TLX. But the question is how many people can really hold their pee after waiting for a remodel since, well, hey 2009!
if i'm in your shoe, i'd go with that TL Tech for $30k, drive it for 2 years and then replace it with a '16 TLX. The TL would probably still worth about $25k in 2 years when you make the switch.
a35tl (07-24-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 05:43 PM
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ultramart
How long after a new model arrives does it usually take to know invoice price?

Any idea how much below MSRP it should be possible to pay for a SH-AWD Tech?
If you check out Edmunds or KBB they have invoice pricing listed.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:22 PM
Hello World

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by A4toTL
If you check out Edmunds or KBB they have invoice pricing listed.
It's not there yet. 2014 TL but not 2015 TLX.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:48 PM
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ultramart
It's not there yet. 2014 TL but not 2015 TLX.
My fault, actually nadaguides.com. I've looked at so many sites I can't remember where I've been.
Attached Thumbnails Msrp-screenshot-2014-07-24-21.40.09.png  
The following 2 users liked this post by A4toTL:
Rocketsfan (07-24-2014), ultramart (07-27-2014)