Is Motorweek accurate for 0-60?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 09:27 AM
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
Logically, doesn't this defeat the whole argument that every male buyer cares? Think about it, if they already know 0-60 and they still came in, it must not matter to them right? Or if they didn't research 0-60 ahead of time but never ask (you'll have to take my word on this), they must not care about it. Assuming that I've sold men cars, we can logically conclude that many men buy cars without knowing or caring enough to ask about 0-60. It's only deduction here.
I don't think *most* men care, but most men on this board care.

As with hddnav, I think you'd need to spend some time on a sales floor to really understand, but no one "type" is a "dream customer". Customers are all unique and each will have a set of priorities that matter to them.
I did car sales a longgg time ago(before college) and know some people who do it now. I'm not sure where you work but the "dream customer" is the one who is willing to give the most profit to the dealership via price paid, buying add-ons they may or may not need, giving away their trade etc. dream customer= uneducated customer. And when I say uneducated I mean in terms of the car buying process to get the best deal. There's a reason why dealerships are referred to as stealer-ships.

Earlier someone wrote that this thread would be shorter if we just 'agreed that 8.7 was dog slow'. Even here it's not that easy, for someone moving up from a Civic, it's fast.
Actually if the 8.7 seconds is accurate its about the same speed as a Civic for twice the price so not really.

This thread is really only a hot item for 2 reasons
1) 8.7 would be a huge step back for even the 4 CYL TSX.
2) Guys who have purchased the car implying it doesn't matter on a enthusiast forum.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverJ

I did car sales a longgg time ago(before college) and know some people who do it now. I'm not sure where you work but the "dream customer" is the one who is willing to give the most profit to the dealership via price paid, buying add-ons they may or may not need, giving away their trade etc. dream customer= uneducated customer. And when I say uneducated I mean in terms of the car buying process to get the best deal. There's a reason why dealerships are referred to as stealer-ships.

Actually if the 8.7 seconds is accurate its about the same speed as a Civic for twice the price so not really.

2) Guys who have purchased the car implying it doesn't matter on a enthusiast forum.

Dude, just let it go. You are never going to get satisfaction. It seems very important to you, for some reason.

The 0-60 number is just not as important to the vast number of regular car buyers, not the members here, as you want it to be.

As The Eagles sang:
Get Over It!

Makes you sick, makes you ill,
makes you cheat, slipping change from the till.
Had it up to the gills... makes you cry while
the milk still spills. Ain't it just a bitch? What a pain...
Well it's all a crying shame. What
left to do but complain? Better find someone to blame.

(Hey!) Get, get, get, get, get over it!
Get over it, get over it.
Now, I think if you was to ask people if they care if the 0-60 was 6 or 9 seconds, I think many would say yes.

Last edited by Stew4HD; 09-27-2014 at 09:45 AM.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:11 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
I think it's a hot topic because it seems that MotorWeek came up with a wildly inaccurate number.
The following 2 users liked this post by CheeseyPoofs McNut:
sstfnv (09-27-2014), Stew4HD (09-27-2014)
Old 09-27-2014, 10:16 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Stew4HD

Now, I think if you was to ask people if they care if the 0-60 was 6 or 9 seconds, I think many would say yes.
My point exactly.

I'm not looking for "satisfaction" as you put it. Just having a friendly discussion about a car I was interested in buying. I'm just surprised that the car would be slower than its predecessor, by a fairly wide margin, and who better to discuss that fact with than a bunch of people here ?
Old 09-27-2014, 10:16 AM
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 9 Posts

There are now a couple of users already showing that the 8.7 figure is more likely an anomaly than the norm. I'm still waiting for Motorweek to release the video of the road test in the hopes it'll shed more light on the conditions/process for clocking the 0-60 before drawing any further conclusions.

In regard to number two, I saw more people discussing how 8.7 didn't seem right than anything else. I also saw others saying that is indeed a slow 0-60 time (if that is all the TLX can really muster). There may have been a few users saying it didn't matter, but I'd say it's equally as bad having the forum flooded with users claiming the TLX is a step back based solely on one source's 0-60 results. It's overreaction on both ends, and the resulting shitfest only served to show where certain users personal bias lies.

Last edited by liquidh2o; 09-27-2014 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
My point exactly.

I'm not looking for "satisfaction" as you put it. Just having a friendly discussion about a car I was interested in buying. I'm just surprised that the car would be slower than its predecessor, by a fairly wide margin, and who better to discuss that fact with than a bunch of people here ?
yeah, in a roundabout I made your case.

We still do not know the real and verified number. I do not believe the 8.7, why do you after seeing evidence to the contrary? To me, it's a 4 cyl, that is why I don't want it. I know the V6 is more powerful and suits me.

I don't expect a 4 cyl to push this car as fast a turbo charged car or a V6... but that is just me. YMMV

It's a good discussion! Some % of people care and some % of people don't care?
Old 09-27-2014, 12:26 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
We still do not know the real and verified number. I do not believe the 8.7, why do you after seeing evidence to the contrary?
I don't take it as fact, which is why I proceeded a lot of my statements with "if that is the true number" .
Despite Acuras claim that the new transmission would make it "1.5 seconds faster to 60 than the previous TSX" I would guess it to probably be in the 7.5 range from Motorweek. Which if THAT were published on a thread no one would really care, as that's about par for the course for the TSX.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:15 PM

Received 5,885 Likes on 2,900 Posts
Originally Posted by smoooov
Horse shit.
Besides clowns on this forum want to compare and rave how great the german sedans are and that the japanese cars are a compromise without taking prices into consideration so what's a measly 5 grand. The 5.0 mustang will hang with a 335is with ease and cost 15 to 20 grand less so that means the BMW is an overpriced POS.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:39 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
True but when that 5.0 mustang is setting next to you and blows your door off leaving the light, that $55,000 german sport sedan that you bought because you thought it was so fast doesn't seem so great.
I don't know about you but for me, tablestakes is a car that has a great fit/finish and a Mustang does NOT have that. That's just one of the many reasons I wouldn't buy one, the others being that it's a coupe, the looks don't appeal to me, I'm not into the whole Mustang mythology/retro thing etc. So if I was sitting in a 435i and a Mustang passed me, I'd think "good for you" and I wouldn't think twice about wishing I owned one.

People who buy the TLX like the car because it offers acceptable performance and features at a price they are comfortable paying. Like it's been said, there is always something faster or more luxurious. All it takes is money. And as far as wheels spinning, the Acura sh-awd system is said to be one of the best you can buy at any price so buy what you want and enjoy it. Others will do the same.
Yeah, SH-AWD seems to remove one of the big gripes I have about Acura, the FWD-ness. However, it's only available on the big car (not the TSX which is more the size I would be looking for) and that bigger car has its own issues like the beak, the big wheel wells, the huge overhangs, and the general Japanese anonymous look. It does have a lot of tech and pretty good fit/finish and that's why it's a good value and there's a market for it.

I'm 100% in agreement with Colin saying that 9/10 people don't care how fast the car goes 0-60, because it never occurrs to these people that the gas pedal can go all the way to the floor. These are the people who line up in the lane that has by far the most cars even though they could switch lanes. For these normal people an Acura is a great option.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:40 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
Which Audi are you referring to ? Your description makes me want one.lol.
Go into your local Audi dealership, sit in a well-optioned A4/S4, and run your fingers along all the switches, dash materials etc.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:12 PM
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Belzebutt
I don't know about you but for me, tablestakes is a car that has a great fit/finish and a Mustang does NOT have that. That's just one of the many reasons I wouldn't buy one, the others being that it's a coupe, the looks don't appeal to me, I'm not into the whole Mustang mythology/retro thing etc. So if I was sitting in a 435i and a Mustang passed me, I'd think "good for you" and I wouldn't think twice about wishing I owned one.

Yeah, SH-AWD seems to remove one of the big gripes I have about Acura, the FWD-ness. However, it's only available on the big car (not the TSX which is more the size I would be looking for) and that bigger car has its own issues like the beak, the big wheel wells, the huge overhangs, and the general Japanese anonymous look. It does have a lot of tech and pretty good fit/finish and that's why it's a good value and there's a market for it.

I'm 100% in agreement with Colin saying that 9/10 people don't care how fast the car goes 0-60, because it never occurrs to these people that the gas pedal can go all the way to the floor. These are the people who line up in the lane that has by far the most cars even though they could switch lanes. For these normal people an Acura is a great option.
I don't care if you'd want a mustang or not and I doubt that mustang owner gives a crap about your 435i. He's probably thinking " there goes another snobbish fool shelling out big money for a badge". And a corvette owner who paid about same money for his car would pass that 435i and just laugh.

Last edited by smoooov; 09-27-2014 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:14 PM

I don't care if you'd want a mustang or not and I doubt that mustang owner gives a crap about your 435i. He's probably thinking " there goes another snobbish fool shelling out big money for a badge". And a corvette owner who paid about same money for his car would pass that 435i and just laugh.
You've got issues.
The following 2 users liked this post by ttribe:
BEAR-AvHistory (09-27-2014), jwong77 (09-28-2014)
Old 09-27-2014, 03:25 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ttribe
You've got issues.
Just telling it like it is.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:28 PM

Just telling it like it is.
Actually, you're "telling it" the way you see it. It's called an opinion, and it's the height of arrogance to present your opinion as if it were fact.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:37 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ttribe
Actually, you're "telling it" the way you see it. It's called an opinion, and it's the height of arrogance to present your opinion as if it were fact.
Whatever helps you sleep at night beemer boy.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:04 PM

Whatever helps you sleep at night beemer boy.
Good grief. I don't need any help sleeping at night when it comes to my car choices. You think you have it all figured out by concluding that anyone who buys a BMW does so only for the badge. Did it ever occur to you that not every single person in the world shares your utility curve?

Over the years, my wife and I have owned six Hondas and Acuras. We still own our Honda Pilot. I'd be very surprised if we purchased another Honda/Acura product anytime soon. Why? They having nothing I find satisfying anymore. Nothing. They've fallen behind nearly all of the competition.

Let me tell you something. I never really liked German cars until I finally drove one. I wasn't attracted to my first BMW because of the badge. I was attracted to it because it had a 500HP V10 based on an F1 engine. I soon realized there was a great deal more to the driving dynamics of a BMW compared to the TL I had been driving for the past five years. Now everything I look at I compare to that baseline. Maybe it ruined me and my ability to settle for something more cost effective. Oh well. As long as I can afford it, I'll live with it. Because of the badge? No. Because I've driven nothing else (other than 30 minutes in a Gallardo) that comes even close to providing the type of driving experience I crave.

So, you can keep going around proving your shallow intellectual honesty by making broad inferences about "all" owners of certain brands and couple it with your arrogant "Tell it like it is", B.S., or you can act like a grown up and recognize that the world is a dynamic place filled with a plurality of opinions and desires, none of which are any more or less important than your own. At that point, you might finally figure out how to play nice in the sandbox. Something most of us learned in kindergarten.
The following users liked this post:
BEAR-AvHistory (09-27-2014)
Old 09-27-2014, 04:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
As someone who has owned Corvettes for about 32 years of my driving life I can't remember laughing at what someone else was driving. Just never occurred to me.

Priced out the Stingray I would buy @ $68K give or take. Decided to do a Bucket List item & bought the 435 & FFR Cobra instead. Should I choose to laugh as I drive by something the Cobra is a mid 11 second car out of the box which puts it up on a lot of cars. That said there is always something faster.

Typically the guys I have met at 1/2 mile airport runs are very helpful to each other & don't see anyone laughing at anyone else's expense.

I am not sure what kind of thought process would lead you down that path but its not a good plan.
The following 3 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
jwong77 (09-28-2014), ttribe (09-27-2014), vbx (09-27-2014)
Old 09-27-2014, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
As someone who has owned Corvettes for about 32 years of my driving life I can't remember laughing at what someone else was driving. Just never occurred to me.

Priced out the Stingray I would buy @ $68K give or take. Decided to do a Bucket List item & bought the 435 & FFR Cobra instead. Should I choose to laugh as I drive by something the Cobra is a mid 11 second car out of the box which puts it up on a lot of cars. That said there is always something faster.

Typically the guys I have met at 1/2 mile airport runs are very helpful to each other & don't see anyone laughing at anyone else's expense.

I am not sure what kind of thought process would lead you down that path but its not a good plan.
BTW, smoooov, have you any idea what Bear is building in his garage right now? What he's owned in the past (aside from the Corvettes he just mentioned)? If you did, you might realize he knows his stuff and his opinions are, at least, worth respecting even if you don't agree.
BEAR-AvHistory (09-27-2014), fsttyms1 (09-29-2014)
Old 09-27-2014, 04:14 PM
vbx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory

The only time I laugh is when some idiot tries to race me on a busy HWY in a new car their parents just bought them.

I think people still call it the "ricer fly bys".
Old 09-27-2014, 04:19 PM
Instructor

Well my original comments were directed towards Belzebutts comments but you 2 had to chime in because you're all butt hurt that someone doesn't feel your BMWs are such hot shit. Sorry if I hurt your little feelings but you'll get over it.

Last edited by smoooov; 09-27-2014 at 04:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Stew4HD (09-27-2014)
Old 09-27-2014, 04:22 PM

Well my original comments were directed towards SilverJs comments but you 2 had to chime in because you're all butt hurt that someone doesn't feel your BMWs are such hot shit. Sorry if I hurt your little feelings but you'll get over it.
Seriously? You can't act like a grown up at all? I don't give a damn whether you like my car. It's your juvenile generalizations that pissed me off. Quit acting like an asshat and you might find this a good board to learn on, especially since Acura seems to be becoming a transition brand rather than an end destination for more and more people.

Last edited by ttribe; 09-27-2014 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
And we are done here too.
The following 4 users liked this post by ggesq:
a35tl (09-27-2014), JM2010 SH-AWD (09-27-2014), Legend2TL (09-28-2014), wlkeel (09-27-2014)