Just Got The Call - New Dealer Info!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 06:43 PM
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts
If I compare the specs for shoulder/leg/hip room etc. from TLXthrill with the specs for the TSX on Edmunds, they're virtually identical. Smaller than the current Accord in the rear.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Ding. Ding. Ding. Acura. Please wake up!
They will not ever do a RWD or V8. Ever. They've had 28 years to join the V8 bandwagon and they still decline. They are focused on fuel efficiency. They also drum to their own beat in the luxury industry, kind of like Saab did (though with better sales results).

Acura seems to have decided that SH-AWD is the drivetrain of their future, and that V8 power can be coaxed out of a V6 with hybrid tech. Nothing wrong with either approach, but obviously they do not suit your needs if that is what you are looking for. You need to move on like I did if you want a V8 and RWD.

I think the TLX will be a great volume seller for the masses who don't care about drivetrain. Hell, I may get one myself! (keeping the V, of course, I need my torque and RWD sometimes! )
Old 07-08-2014, 07:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
But one important point that most often overlooked is that, where German luxury sedan buyers custom order their luxo sedans, they only order the options they want/need, and therefore it ends up that the custom-optioned German luxo sedans are even cheaper in price than the comparable fixed-trim-optioned RLX.

Very few German luxury sedan buyers order their luxo sedans loaded with every possible option available from the feature sheets.
!
Hmm, not sure I agree that many people order their cars, yes many do,order, I did, but I am guessing most buy what is on lot. I do agree that many people buying German are more interested in the badge, not the content. When I looked at BMW a while back I was amazed how virtually every 3 series on the lot and even 5 series sedans had so few options. Few 3 series sedans had real leather, HIDs, sat radio an even upgraded audio. My guess is the average German buyer is looking at the badge first and foremost.
The following 2 users liked this post by KeithL:
Acura_Dude (07-08-2014), CoquiTSX (07-13-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 08:52 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
^
Old 07-08-2014, 09:12 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
If you go to the www.acura.ca site, they have a list of features for each TLX trim, with a small photo of the vehicle. You will notice several things:

1. For the SH-AWD Elite model (Advance in US) it has the same wheels as the other V6 models, but the 4 cylinder models have that ugly 17" wheel. So that really busy 19" design is indeed an option but not standard on the Elite model in Canada.

2. The V6 SH-AWD Elite model and the V6 Elite model both have the LED fog lamps as standard, but not the others.

3. The Tech model (4 cylinder and V6) and above all have heated rear seats and heated steering wheel (YAY!!!)

4. The Elite model has even more goodies, including perimeter/approach puddle lights! That is a very nice feature indeed.

It is a shame that we still cannot view all of the colour combinations, esp. the espresso interior! I am very interested to see how that looks!
The following 3 users liked this post by ostrich:
4WDrift (07-08-2014), internalaudit (07-11-2014), randomRon82 (07-08-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 09:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 891 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally Posted by ostrich
3. The Tech model (4 cylinder and V6) and above all have heated rear seats and heated steering wheel (YAY!!!)

4. The Elite model has even more goodies, including perimeter/approach puddle lights! That is a very nice feature indeed.
Cool, I didn't know about the puddle lights. Also I've only seen heated rear seats and heated steering wheel options on the Canadian site... I wonder if they're only offered there? would that make sense for that to happen?
Old 07-08-2014, 10:54 PM
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
I believe I saw an interior shot of a med brownish interior that could have been the Espresso, can't find it again yet either here or other sites. Was a lighter version of the Black Copper that is now on the acura.com homepage.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:00 AM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
If the remote engine start comes with the ability to have the AC/heat started as well (as I believe the MDX's version does), I may have to spring for the Advanced for that reason alone. lol.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:10 AM
Team SSM Queen

Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts
I called Rallye Acura in Roslyn, and they're not going to have the TLX until the end of August.

Do you think we will be able to negotiate on price at all if we buy right away?
Old 07-09-2014, 08:19 AM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
^Doubt it. If you're willing to buy a car as soon as it hits the lot, then there's no reason for the dealer to discount the MSRP.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:30 AM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
^yeah..only deals would be on configs that don't sell well and even then the deals wouldn't show up for at LEAST a few months after release, so winter at the earliest. I'm guessing that's the main reason there isn't a "Base" sh-awd.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:13 AM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
If the remote engine start comes with the ability to have the AC/heat started as well (as I believe the MDX's version does), I may have to spring for the Advanced for that reason alone. lol.

I'll get Elite , here in Canada , only for that feature. For my 2009 Acura was asking 895$ for a remote start at that time....insane.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:01 PM
Hello World

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ostrich
Now, I am particularly excited to see that for the Canadian Tech and Elite models (Elite = Advance in US), the features include heated front AND REAR seats, LED fog lights, as well as heated steering wheel:

"...Further, the TLX Tech and Elite trim levels add a host of available features, including Premium Milano leather-trimmed interior, a remote engine starter, heated rear seats, a heated steering wheel, LED fog lights, and more. The 2015 Acura TLX will also be available with a suite of safety and driver-assistive technologies, including the Collision Mitigation Braking System™ (CMBS™), Forward Collision Warning (FCW), Lane Departure Warning (LDW), Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS), Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with Low-Speed Follow and Blind Spot Indicator (BSI)."

Now, that is pretty exciting! Are the heated rear seats and heated steering wheel Canadian only features???

Those features are available on the Tech and Elite but they are not necessarily included...
Also I think those features will not be available in Base model, even as an option.

So if we want the remote starter, we will be forced to go with the Tech version and add the remote starter option.

This is how I understand this.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:24 PM
Hello World

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ultramart
Those features are available on the Tech and Elite but they are not necessarily included...
Also I think those features will not be available in Base model, even as an option.

So if we want the remote starter, we will be forced to go with the Tech version and add the remote starter option.

This is how I understand this.
Oh! I just saw the specs on acura.ca!

SH-AWD TECH CAD$43,890
  • Acura Navigation System with Voice Recognition™
  • AcuraLink™* connectivity system
  • Acura/ELS Surround 10 speaker Premium Audio System with 1-disc CD, AM/FM tuner (RDS-enabled), MP3/Windows Media Audio compatibility, Dolby Pro Logic II, and DTS-CD
  • Lane Keeping Assist System** (LKAS)
  • Blind Spot Information system** (BSI) with Cross-Traffic Alert System
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Heated rear seats
  • Perforated Premium Milano leather-trimmed interior
  • Remote engine starter

Wow!!!

I was considering the IS350 AWD F-Sport but it's 5k-10k more!
The following users liked this post:
internalaudit (07-11-2014)
Old 07-09-2014, 09:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ that is insane!! What an amazing package.....
Old 07-09-2014, 10:06 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Unfortunately not the same car we will be getting in the US.

It appears that the US 2015 TLX will not have the heated steering wheel or headed rear seats. Also the Remote Engine Start will only be available on the Advance package for V6 models.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:59 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
I find it strange that you have to go to the Canadian web site to get the best information on the TLX. Hopefully Acura will update the American web site since the current content is getting stale and boring. Seems like Acura should offer a 'cold weather' package that has the steering wheel and rear seat heaters.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:59 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
I find it strange that you have to go to the Canadian web site to get the best information on the TLX. Hopefully Acura will update the American web site since the current content is getting stale and boring. Seems like Acura should offer a 'cold weather' package that has the steering wheel and rear seat heaters.

Check out this page for the US Spec listings:

http://www.tlxthrill.com/specs.html
Old 07-10-2014, 01:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by motegi
Check out this page for the US Spec listings:

http://www.tlxthrill.com/specs.html
I still don't get why this site has no mentions on Acura.com or on acuranews.com?
Old 07-10-2014, 08:04 AM
Racer

^Colin I thought maybe you'd have a better understanding of acura's marketing strategy here. I'm guessing there's an ad coming either in late july or august with the tlxthrill linked.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:48 PM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
^^ that is insane!! What an amazing package.....
Is the TLX still under consideration?
Old 07-11-2014, 02:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jterp7
^Colin I thought maybe you'd have a better understanding of acura's marketing strategy here. I'm guessing there's an ad coming either in late july or august with the tlxthrill linked.
They're really trying. LOL. One of our internal messages says that acurathrill.com is the 'live' e-brochure site. Of course, that link doesn't work so it must be TLXthrill.com instead. [sigh]
Old 07-12-2014, 01:15 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
They're really trying. LOL. One of our internal messages says that acurathrill.com is the 'live' e-brochure site. Of course, that link doesn't work so it must be TLXthrill.com instead. [sigh]
If that site were actually endorsed by Acura you would think it would be more accurate. But the obvious thing is for Acura to just put the car on Acura.com and be done with it. It is not like they have a lot of TLs and TSX's they are still trying to move. This car is less than a month away from going on sale, quit beating around the bush Acura and get some publicity on your own website... geesh. What are they afraid of?
Old 07-12-2014, 01:34 AM
Suzuka Master

^^ what is it about the Internet? Whenever something doesn't unfold the way you think it is supposed to unfold we think they're "afraid" of something. Whether their choices are right or wrong, there is definitely a scheduled rollout of the information. I don't think "fear" has anything to do with it.
a35tl (07-12-2014)
Old 07-12-2014, 01:45 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
This car is less than a month away from going on sale, quit beating around the bush Acura and get some publicity on your own website... geesh. What are they afraid of?
The truth?

I'm really wondering why we haven't seen some Press Drive reviews popping up online already.

Seems like most automakers who are releasing an all new design, especially one as important to the brand as the TLX have a press preview drive arranged to get the positive reviews out early. It goes like this: they invite online automotive review editors and the magazine writers to some Arizona resort, dine them, show them a brief powerpoint of the key features, and then send them out in fully loaded demo cars for a test drive.

Shortly thereafter we see the reviews and photos from these events on the online blogs and youtube channels, followed by the print media which help generate interest for the cars set to arrive in dealerships shortly thereafter.

Heck they've been taking this car to bicycle races in recent weeks. Why haven't we seen a single test drive preview yet?

Last edited by motegi; 07-12-2014 at 01:53 AM.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:42 AM
Summer is Coming

^^ what is it about the Internet? Whenever something doesn't unfold the way you think it is supposed to unfold we think they're "afraid" of something. Whether their choices are right or wrong, there is definitely a scheduled rollout of the information. I don't think "fear" has anything to do with it.
The truth?

I'm really wondering why we haven't seen some Press Drive reviews popping up online already.

Seems like most automakers who are releasing an all new design, especially one as important to the brand as the TLX have a press preview drive arranged to get the positive reviews out early. It goes like this: they invite online automotive review editors and the magazine writers to some Arizona resort, dine them, show them a brief powerpoint of the key features, and then send them out in fully loaded demo cars for a test drive.

Shortly thereafter we see the reviews and photos from these events on the online blogs and youtube channels, followed by the print media which help generate interest for the cars set to arrive in dealerships shortly thereafter.

Heck they've been taking this car to bicycle races in recent weeks. Why haven't we seen a single test drive preview yet?
Well while Acura US is playing around with this 'TLXthrill' web site Acura Canada had no problem figuring it out.

http://www.acura.ca/tlx#/tlx/pricing

Maybe Acura USA will figure it out soon.

You would think after one of the most dismal sedan sales months that I can recall they would want to get some excitement going about this car. Honda/Acura always seems to be poor at building excitement for their cars. Its not like they are trying to protect TL/TSX sales.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:23 AM
Suzuka Master

^^ personally, I think you are significantly under estimating the number of cars they are going to roll out in August. I've been through this many times in my 18 years selling Acuras and I can tell you that every time you build up excitement too early, it backfires. They always want us to do launch parties and special events with three cars in stock. Totally useless hype. I would like to see the major push of advertising and promotion hit when we have 50 cars in stock. This won't happen till September at the earliest but most likely October or November.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:37 AM
Summer is Coming

^^ personally, I think you are significantly under estimating the number of cars they are going to roll out in August. I've been through this many times in my 18 years selling Acuras and I can tell you that every time you build up excitement too early, it backfires. They always want us to do launch parties and special events with three cars in stock. Totally useless hype. I would like to see the major push of advertising and promotion hit when we have 50 cars in stock. This won't happen till September at the earliest but most likely October or November.
I hope they have been busy cranking these out during this delay period. It only works to a buyers favor to have a ton of cars on the lot, but I'll take it.

50 cars per dealer is over 13,500 cars in stock. At those volumes there should be deals to be had. That will be fine with me.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:20 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
I hope they have been busy cranking these out during this delay period. It only works to a buyers favor to have a ton of cars on the lot, but I'll take it.

50 cars per dealer is over 13,500 cars in stock. At those volumes there should be deals to be had. That will be fine with me.
Exactly. I thought that they had been building up inventory during the delay as it was a "software" issue and not a hardware problem that was causing the delay.

If this was the case then there should be a decent selection available right from the beginning.

But who knows!
Old 07-13-2014, 12:24 PM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still do not understand why we haven't at least seen first drive reviews by now.

We are talking about a car from a major manufacturer which is WEEKS from releasing a brand new design!?

I don't know about the other launch fanfare - parties, wining and dining etc., but we REALLY should've seen reviews of some sort by now. The day of the unveiling of the RLX Hybrid, reviews began surfacing a few days later. I can't help shake the feeling that Acura is simply concerned about reviews (not being positive enough or possible negative?) on a new car that will have to be their lifeblood since their other two sedans are not really selling.

I don't know what's going on a Acura, but they are having serious problems. Where's the RLX-Hybrid? What happened to the NSX we saw 3 years ago!? No other manufacturer I know of are having these sort of problems launching vehicles. The TLX would be my third Acura, but I honestly can't pretend that I'm not concerned about he companies direction and decisions.
Gen4MDX (07-14-2014)
Old 07-13-2014, 12:29 PM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
Hmm, not sure I agree that many people order their cars, yes many do,order, I did, but I am guessing most buy what is on lot. I do agree that many people buying German are more interested in the badge, not the content. When I looked at BMW a while back I was amazed how virtually every 3 series on the lot and even 5 series sedans had so few options. Few 3 series sedans had real leather, HIDs, sat radio an even upgraded audio. My guess is the average German buyer is looking at the badge first and foremost.
+1
Old 07-13-2014, 01:06 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ALL:

New member here...i have a 2003 TL Base (bought May 2002). It has 139k on it (new transmission March 2013 with 128k).

I have been following your discussions on the TLX for the past year or so as I will probably get into the new car market after 1-2 model years of the TLX. I have flirted with the idea get 2014 model (SHAWD Advance), but will wait now.

Y'all have been very helpful and informative.

Many thanks.

fairfaxgator
Old 07-13-2014, 01:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Exactly. I thought that they had been building up inventory during the delay as it was a "software" issue and not a hardware problem that was causing the delay.
That was one suggestion, and I believe it started with Rolled over on TOV. The only thing directly from Acura (to dealers) was that they wanted "more automation in the assembly process" mating the engine to 9AT. This necessitated some change(s) to the assembly line but would save big time in the long run. I believe I posted this earlier, but cannot find it. If this was the case, they definitely weren't building them till now. The evidence is that we have 8 scheduled for July production with Aug. delivery and 9 with Aug. production and Sept delivery.

Originally Posted by REGGIEW
I still do not understand why we haven't at least seen first drive reviews by now.
It is a different world now. They are no longer bound by Car and Driver's print deadlines. In the 'old days' the Aug issue would hit the stores in mid-July. This meant that the magazine went to press in June, and the drives happened in June. In the age of the internet, these lead times no longer apply and only lead to 'leaks'. Our schedule shows that Ride and Drives for dealers will begin mid-August, and I'd expect the same timeframe for the press.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:47 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by REGGIEW

We are talking about a car from a major manufacturer which is WEEKS from releasing a brand new design!?

I don't know about the other launch fanfare - parties, wining and dining etc., but we REALLY should've seen reviews of some sort by now. The day of the unveiling of the RLX Hybrid, reviews began surfacing a few days later. I can't help shake the feeling that Acura is simply concerned about reviews (not being positive enough or possible negative?) on a new car that will have to be their lifeblood since their other two sedans are not really selling.

I don't know what's going on a Acura, but they are having serious problems. Where's the RLX-Hybrid? What happened to the NSX we saw 3 years ago!? No other manufacturer I know of are having these sort of problems launching vehicles. The TLX would be my third Acura, but I honestly can't pretend that I'm not concerned about he companies direction and decisions.
My sentiments exactly.

Having owned Acuras continuously for the past 25 years their recent pattern of delays is somewhat troublesome. I really hope that they straighten things out soon.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:56 PM
Instructor

That was one suggestion, and I believe it started with Rolled over on TOV. The only thing directly from Acura (to dealers) was that they wanted "more automation in the assembly process" mating the engine to 9AT. This necessitated some change(s) to the assembly line but would save big time in the long run. I believe I posted this earlier, but cannot find it. If this was the case, they definitely weren't building them till now. The evidence is that we have 8 scheduled for July production with Aug. delivery and 9 with Aug. production and Sept delivery.
Excellent info! I'm sure their actuaries calculated the financial cost of delaying the release by several months versus possible improvements in efficiency of production. It's just strange that they gave zero information to the potential customers about the delay and zero updates for the future release date. And the dealer sales managers that I spoke to had no information to provide either other than general frustration with the lack of inventory during the delay.

It is a different world now. They are no longer bound by Car and Driver's print deadlines. In the 'old days' the Aug issue would hit the stores in mid-July. This meant that the magazine went to press in June, and the drives happened in June. In the age of the internet, these lead times no longer apply and only lead to 'leaks'. Our schedule shows that Ride and Drives for dealers will begin mid-August, and I'd expect the same timeframe for the press.
It makes sense. Although I don't see why having some press coverage out a few weeks in advance would hurt. Besides none of the features are industry exclusives so I don't know what "leaks" there would have been. Of course I'm sure it's all part of the new plan...
Old 07-14-2014, 06:30 PM
Suzuka Master

It's just strange that they gave zero information to the potential customers about the delay and zero updates for the future release date.
I suppose the recent fanfare about the start of production answers our questions on whether they were building or not.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:37 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
lol. The 2015 Hyundai Sonata already being recalled due to wiring harness issues. I'm going to be so pissed if the TLX has major issues early on.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:55 PM
Instructor

I suppose the recent fanfare about the start of production answers our questions on whether they were building or not.
Very true! You were 100% correct. Hopefully we'll start seeing some reviews in the coming weeks!
Old 07-15-2014, 09:23 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
lol. The 2015 Hyundai Sonata already being recalled due to wiring harness issues. I'm going to be so pissed if the TLX has major issues early on.
as an owner of an 08 V6 accord, no it hasn't exploded, but there were definite improvements at mmc, in both the transmission and things like ipod, rear vents that were missing in the first model. Its really based on how patient you want to be and when you need the car.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:15 PM
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Very true! You were 100% correct. Hopefully we'll start seeing some reviews in the coming weeks!
_When the pricing details dropped I think it was Left Lane News that specifically said to check back at the end of the July to get their driving impressions.

Now that production models are being built I'm guessing the media fleets will be filling up and first drives, you'd think, would be sometime in the next few weeks.

Quick Reply: Just Got The Call - New Dealer Info!