Have you guys seen this recall yet?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2023, 08:57 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Exclamation Have you guys seen this recall yet?

Long time no see, everyone. As an owner of a black ‘18 TLX A-Spec I’ve always been curious about the rod bearing issue. Seen this today in a Facebook group. The guy who posted it works at a dealer from what I read in the post.

Old 11-10-2023, 08:26 AM
ElectroMechanicalEngineer

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Started to see this pop up everywhere this morning after the CarFax email
Old 11-10-2023, 04:01 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Originally Posted by djtsmith007
Thanks for sharing. Started to see this pop up everywhere this morning after the CarFax email
No problem. Glad Honda is taking care of it. I had asked my dealer had any TLXs came through yet with blown motors and the service advisor said no, but this was last year. I had brought it up because I kept seeing posts online about it. Apparently some Honda models are affected as well. I’m almost 6K miles out of my power train warranty. My car has been flawless. Just a replacement battery.
Old 11-14-2023, 10:29 AM
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Just a heads up. I spoke to my service rep today to check on whether the timing belt was replaced with either of my engine replacements and, to our surprise, it was not. Apparently, Acura does not recommend and will not cover replacing belts for such a repair. If your vehicle is near the timing belt service and needs work done as part of this recall, I would recommend discussing having that work done while it's in for the repair as it most likely will save you some on labor vs. doing it later.
The following users liked this post:
Jim2301 (11-14-2023)
Old 11-14-2023, 05:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura_Dude
No problem. Glad Honda is taking care of it. I had asked my dealer had any TLXs came through yet with blown motors and the service advisor said no, but this was last year. I had brought it up because I kept seeing posts online about it. Apparently some Honda models are affected as well. I’m almost 6K miles out of my power train warranty. My car has been flawless. Just a replacement battery.
I beg to differ on a "No problem" statement ... Safety recalls are an ultimate regulatory requirement for manufacturers to issue such safety recalls when there are problems. If it was no issue, it would have been a service bulletin to apply towards any in warranty cars, as well as brand new units.
This recall alone could break the whole company if this issue is wide spread... Because whatever it is that they discovered, they had to issue the safety recall ASAP, even admitting that there is no remediation available at the moment... So what is one to do? Drive and pray nothign happens to the car? What if the remediation not being available results in someone's engine blowing internals up due to failure?

Considering all, would you still say "No problem"?
Also, service technicians are not allowed to discuss ANYTHING outside of the scope of their engagement - which is doing service on a car, whatever the assigned work is... technician saying they did not see any engine failures is as reliable as George Bush's "internets"... must be true...
Old 11-15-2023, 10:48 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rlx015
I beg to differ on a "No problem" statement ... Safety recalls are an ultimate regulatory requirement for manufacturers to issue such safety recalls when there are problems. If it was no issue, it would have been a service bulletin to apply towards any in warranty cars, as well as brand new units.
This recall alone could break the whole company if this issue is wide spread... Because whatever it is that they discovered, they had to issue the safety recall ASAP, even admitting that there is no remediation available at the moment... So what is one to do? Drive and pray nothign happens to the car? What if the remediation not being available results in someone's engine blowing internals up due to failure?

Considering all, would you still say "No problem"?
Also, service technicians are not allowed to discuss ANYTHING outside of the scope of their engagement - which is doing service on a car, whatever the assigned work is... technician saying they did not see any engine failures is as reliable as George Bush's "internets"... must be true...
Well, I believe this has been years in the making. The moment they started seeing these failures, which was years ago, they likely started investigating. My having had it happen twice under warranty and it being covered both times was a significant departure from Acura/Honda of old where they almost never approved warranty replacement of engines. This won't break the whole company, but, presuming they have insurance for things like this, I guarantee their premiums will be going up.
Old 11-19-2023, 08:31 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Honda news release.

Under 1,500 claims made for this issue, includes TLX, MDX, Odyssey, Ridgeline, Pilot.

249,000 recalled for inspection, estimate of only 1% of these will have a problem.

https://hondanews.com/en-US/honda-co...ing-rod-recall

Old 11-19-2023, 08:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
November 2, 2023 Honda determined that a defect related to motor vehicle safety existed and decided to conduct a safety recall. As of November 3, 2023, Honda has 1,450 warranty claims, and no reports of injuries or deaths related to this issue from July 2014 through November 3, 2023
Old 11-21-2023, 09:07 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
My wife seems to be afraid to drive her 2015 TLX for now in view of the recall (which in turn causes other problems because she is directionally challenged and often needs the navigation screen to help her find her way, as she isn't comfortable using her phone for directions). Anyone have any advice I can give her to convince her just to drive the car until it comes time to take it for repair?

The tip on the timing belt is a good one to look into when we schedule the repair.
Old 11-21-2023, 09:12 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2015 TLXs VIN appears to fall within recall range. So I guess I have a 1% chance of getting a new engine in my 95k mile car? 🤔
I’ll take it 👍🏻😂
Old 11-22-2023, 09:11 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1995hoo
My wife seems to be afraid to drive her 2015 TLX for now in view of the recall (which in turn causes other problems because she is directionally challenged and often needs the navigation screen to help her find her way, as she isn't comfortable using her phone for directions). Anyone have any advice I can give her to convince her just to drive the car until it comes time to take it for repair?

The tip on the timing belt is a good one to look into when we schedule the repair.
I'm one of probably a select few who had this occur twice. If she hears it knocking when idling which increases w/ RPMs then it's time to park it; otherwise, it should be fine to drive. Curtail any spirited driving, but probably don't need to baby it.

Here's a good clip for reference:
The following users liked this post:
finebead (12-08-2023)
Old 11-22-2023, 11:07 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Thanks very much for that. I've never heard that noise, but I'll play it for her later and ask if she has. She bought the car in 2017 and has an extended warranty valid through next year.
Old 11-24-2023, 06:51 PM
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts
I saw this on YouTube then I came here and found this thread. But he doesn't say anything that you don't already know in the video

Old 11-24-2023, 07:09 PM
Intermediate

Doubly disturbing for me as I have 2015 TLX with the 3.0 V-6, as does my boat with a BF 250- the same block turned to vertical...🤦‍♂️
Old 12-02-2023, 07:36 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
Looking around the internet most people with this issue report that it started knocking hard after an oil change. Logic tells me that hot engine oil changes may be contributing to this. So, until it really starts to knock long after an oil change, do your oil changes with a relatively cold engine. Me not an engineer, just my logic tells me that if all the oil drains from the crank then it will speed up the deterioration. Just a thought.

So far my 2020 v6 a-spec is doing fine. Not a hint of that 80k km later. But the last oil change I did the engine was not at operating temperature, I just let it run for 2-3 min from dead cold before draining the oil. First start after the oil change... no loud banging inside the engine bay. Maybe the engineers at Honda should look into that scenario and if true adjust their recall notice to warn people not to do hot engine oil changes. Again, just a thought.

Last edited by Tonyware; 12-02-2023 at 07:41 PM.
Old 12-02-2023, 09:45 PM
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts
Or if your car falls within the recall range then you could just take your car to the dealership and have it fixed.....
if it doesn't fall within the recall range then you probably don't have a problem.....

Originally Posted by Tonyware
Looking around the internet most people with this issue report that it started knocking hard after an oil change. Logic tells me that hot engine oil changes may be contributing to this. So, until it really starts to knock long after an oil change, do your oil changes with a relatively cold engine. Me not an engineer, just my logic tells me that if all the oil drains from the crank then it will speed up the deterioration. Just a thought.

So far my 2020 v6 a-spec is doing fine. Not a hint of that 80k km later. But the last oil change I did the engine was not at operating temperature, I just let it run for 2-3 min from dead cold before draining the oil. First start after the oil change... no loud banging inside the engine bay. Maybe the engineers at Honda should look into that scenario and if true adjust their recall notice to warn people not to do hot engine oil changes. Again, just a thought.
Old 12-05-2023, 10:26 AM
Instructor

I'm not sure where you're seeing reports of it happening after an oil change, but I will say that correlation is not causation. I had this arise twice and neither was shortly after an oil change.
Old 12-05-2023, 01:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
Maybe the engineers at Honda should look into that scenario and if true adjust their recall notice to warn people not to do hot engine oil changes. Again, just a thought.
Your logic is flawed. I've done thousands of oil chgs at auto shops in Phoenix AZ, on cars that regularly see over 110 degrees in the summer. Draining the oil pan during an oil chg does not fully remove all the oil from the motor. There will be residual oil that is on the bearings, cyl walls and oil passages.
Old 12-05-2023, 01:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by noclutch
Doubly disturbing for me as I have 2015 TLX with the 3.0 V-6, as does my boat with a BF 250- the same block turned to vertical...🤦‍♂️
There was no 3.0 v6 in 2015 tlx, it's either a 3.5 or 2.4
Old 12-06-2023, 01:58 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 619rcr
There was no 3.0 v6 in 2015 tlx, it's either a 3.5 or 2.4
Yes, my typo. Meant to say 3.5 but mods wouldn’t let me edit. Lol
But I have no idea if it’s the same block as my boats 3.5 Honda 🤷🏻‍♂️. No news in marine circles of similar crank problems, but it’s a tiny sampling relative to autos.
Old 12-07-2023, 07:27 AM
mvl
Pro

Received 235 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by noclutch
Yes, my typo. Meant to say 3.5 but mods wouldn’t let me edit. Lol
But I have no idea if it’s the same block as my boats 3.5 Honda 🤷🏻‍♂️. No news in marine circles of similar crank problems, but it’s a tiny sampling relative to autos.
The mdx owners are noticing a pattern where Ohio MDXs are being recalled but Alabama MDX's arent. I think all TLXs are made in Ohio.

Any info on where your boat engine was manufactured?
Old 12-07-2023, 08:27 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mvl
The mdx owners are noticing a pattern where Ohio MDXs are being recalled but Alabama MDX's arent. I think all TLXs are made in Ohio.

Any info on where your boat engine was manufactured?

probably not a bad thing👍🏻
Old 12-11-2023, 12:06 PM
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 TLX FWD 3.5 46k miles..

Old 12-11-2023, 12:36 PM
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts
Just curious... what are you trying to show us??
Old 12-11-2023, 04:05 PM
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim2301
Just curious... what are you trying to show us??
that would be metal flakes in my oil
Old 01-11-2024, 12:36 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation recall too late

While I'm happy to see Honda do this recall , It came too late for me .. at just over 100k miles my 2015 TLX 3.5 AWS engine locked up while in traffic. Mechanic could not get it to turn over, even manually. The engine was replaced and I am hopeful to be reimbursed / covered under this recall. The bad new is that the engine was replaced with a newer version of of the 3.5 that might also have the same problem // just my luck .. I have not read on here that many have failed in the same manner ( or failed at all ) ..
anyone ?
Old 01-11-2024, 01:06 AM
mvl
Pro

Received 235 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by henryt97
While I'm happy to see Honda do this recall , It came too late for me .. at just over 100k miles my 2015 TLX 3.5 AWS engine locked up while in traffic. Mechanic could not get it to turn over, even manually. The engine was replaced and I am hopeful to be reimbursed / covered under this recall. The bad new is that the engine was replaced with a newer version of of the 3.5 that might also have the same problem // just my luck .. I have not read on here that many have failed in the same manner ( or failed at all ) ..
anyone ?
You can get reimbursed for the prior engine replacement if due to the issue. Acura's recall filing said they have a process for this, call Acura Client Relations and see if they can provide you the process.
Old 01-11-2024, 12:23 PM
Instructor

I received my recall mailing yesterday. To check for reimbursement eligibility, you can call 1-888-234-2138 or visit https://mygarage.honda.com/s/help-acura and select the following:
Send an Email, then choose:
Topic: Recalls/Campaign
Sub Topic: Recalls/Campaigns: Reimbursement Request
Old 01-11-2024, 12:42 PM
4th Gear

Thanks .. I had called , my "hope" is that they reimburse , but they said since they don't know the exact "fix" they will wait till that comes out before reimbursements are determined. IOW - it might depend on parts used in the engine based on manufacture location / date etc ...
Old 06-18-2024, 02:46 PM
4th Gear

Success!

After an initial denial by AHM , I called and asked to reopen my case . At the time of engine failure there no remedy and no way was I going to pay mechanic to determine the total seizure of the engine. So Honda agreed and reimbursed the total cost of replacement.

so now I have one more dilema.. the replacement engine is technically covered by the recall… now to see if Honda will make sure it won’t seize like the first
Old 06-27-2024, 03:11 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by henryt97
Thanks .. I had called , my "hope" is that they reimburse , but they said since they don't know the exact "fix" they will wait till that comes out before reimbursements are determined. IOW - it might depend on parts used in the engine based on manufacture location / date etc ...

How did the reimbursement request go for you? I'm having issues with Honda at the moment. They aren't providing me a check in the amount I paid for the engine replacement, and they aren't providing me the details on which parts are covered on the recall so that I reconcile what which parts weren't covered on the engine replacement. The engine replacement the Acura dealership did because of the rod bearing failure. So confused as to why they refuse to reimburse
Old 06-27-2024, 03:28 PM
4th Gear

@mocfam10 - received my reimbursement check last week from AHM … full amount of replacement! Know that my engine totally seized while driving (long before they were recalling). I had 3rd party shop do replacement not an Acura dealer.

put in a 2016 from salvage yard.