Discount Advantage Program Discontinued?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 10:26 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Discount Advantage Program Discontinued?

I received my Advantage Discount Certificate in the mail today. I went to the closest Acura dealer last Friday to apply for it, and they had trouble printing it out, so they mailed it to me. I was thinking about trying to get another one from the next closest dealer, in my wife's name in the event I can only get one. I figured it might give me more leverage in negotiating a good price on the car. However, when I just looked on Acura's website, I could not find any mention of the program. Does anybody know if it has been discontinued?
Old 08-19-2014, 10:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
The program is not discontinued. However, the certificate is linked to your current Acura VIN and you probably won't be able to get another.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:46 PM
Racer

Thanks for the information. I was told last Friday that the program dates had been extended, and that I needed to take delivery by December 1, I believe. The certificate that I received states that I need to take delivery by October 31.

Do you know why there is no mention of the discount on Acura's website?
Old 08-19-2014, 10:54 PM
Suzuka Master

No, but I've known about the pending extension, just wasn't sure when they'd announce it. They told us a few days ago. Maybe they've met their initial goals and have started to de-emphasize it? BTW, I was going to add to my original post, I believe if you cancel the current certificate, you can obtain a replacement from a different dealer.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:20 PM
Racer

I saw the extended dates online last Friday or Saturday, but do not see any information at all right now.

I would prefer to buy the car from the dealer that I currently have the certificate from, so I probably will not try to cancel it. I am hoping for some discounts, especially if I can wait until late November to take delivery.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:40 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
Can someone explain how this works?
I go to a dealer and they print out a certificate that entitles me to the $500 in accessories and other benefits. I have to buy the car from them at that point?
When I get the certificate, do I have to tell them the car, color, trim, etc., or is it just that I'll buy a particular car from them?
Do I have to agree to a price before getting the certificate?
Also, if I choose to buy the car outright, I know I won't get the $1000 in payments benefit, but do I still get the $500 in accessories or is this whole thing only if you finance through Acura Financial Services?
Old 08-19-2014, 11:52 PM
Racer

I had to fill out a credit application, and they input the information and issued the certificate. I was told the certificate was only available if the car that I wanted was not in stock at the dealer. Since they did not have any 4 cyl models at all, that was easy. I told them the type of car (Tech), bur not the color. We did not discuss price at all, and I did not have to make any deposit. I am not sure if you have to finance through AFS to get the $500 in accessories.
The following users liked this post:
Rocketsfan (08-20-2014)
Old 08-20-2014, 02:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
Can someone explain how this works?
I go to a dealer and they print out a certificate that entitles me to the $500 in accessories and other benefits. I have to buy the car from them at that point?
When I get the certificate, do I have to tell them the car, color, trim, etc., or is it just that I'll buy a particular car from them?
Do I have to agree to a price before getting the certificate?
Also, if I choose to buy the car outright, I know I won't get the $1000 in payments benefit, but do I still get the $500 in accessories or is this whole thing only if you finance through Acura Financial Services?
  1. A credit application is required and you must finance with AFS
  2. you must have a Vin number for the current Acura vehicle
  3. The dealer submits the credit application and uses the confirmation code to generate the certificate
  4. The vehicle must not be in stock at the time it's ordered
  5. you must take delivery before December 1

All of the benefits are predicated on financing through Acura Financial Services. If you were planning to purchase the vehicle out right you should still finance with AFS to get the specials and pay it off quickly. There is no prepayment penalty.

Most of the other questions regarding price, whether you decide on a color right now, are likely handled by the individual dealerships policy and not governed by the TLX Advantage Program.

In my case, I've done my best to "land" my clients on a specific vehicle and color combination. Only because we've only got a handful coming and we need a separate method to sort out "who gets what."

Last edited by Colin; 08-20-2014 at 02:12 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Colin:
Melrosejeff (08-20-2014), neuronbob (08-20-2014), Rocketsfan (08-20-2014)
Old 08-20-2014, 04:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I have a certificate. It's not tied to a specific vehicle other than it says TLX V6 Advance. I did fill out a credit app.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:19 AM
9th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks Colin, that's exactly the process I went through with my dealer yesterday as I ordered a v6 fwd tech, the car can't be in stock for sure.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:16 PM
Team SSM Queen

Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
FYI if you're paying cash, you can finance to take advantage of the $1000 benefit. Make the first 2 payments of $500, and then pay the balance in full the next month. It just costs you a small amount of interest to get the $1000 benefit.

However I heard the $1000 is actually in the form of a credit card, not a cash rebate. Can someone confirm?
Old 08-20-2014, 12:23 PM
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by narnia
However I heard the $1000 is actually in the form of a credit card, not a cash rebate. Can someone confirm?
That's correct...from the terms (fine print)...

AHM will send a prepaid debit card equal to two of your monthly payments up to a total of $1,000
Old 08-20-2014, 01:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by narnia
FYI if you're paying cash, you can finance to take advantage of the $1000 benefit. Make the first 2 payments of $500, and then pay the balance in full the next month. It just costs you a small amount of interest to get the $1000 benefit.

Yes, you HAVE to finance with AFS to get the 2 free payments. Would I be correct in assuming that the debit card can be used for anything not just your car payment?
Old 08-20-2014, 03:00 PM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
When I went to one of the Denver dealerships to get one of the certificates, they basically said that the benefits of the program were "in lieu of any other discounts or promotions", and went on to say that in order to get the value from it you would have to pay MSRP for the vehicle. I called b/s on it....

One would think by their explanation is that they should then have at least $1500 in wiggle room from the MSRP then. I said that to him and he just gave me a blank stare, but added that they would rather "take care of me at the dealership level" than rely on manufacturer promotion. I try not to despise car salesman but this type of experience makes it difficult. It's the first time this dealership has left a sour taste in my mouth...
Old 08-20-2014, 03:05 PM
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ZAXDude
When I went to one of the Denver dealerships to get one of the certificates, they basically said that the benefits of the program were "in lieu of any other discounts or promotions.
Did you specifically ask about combining their College Grad/Military discounts with the Advantage program?

The language indicates they (College grad/mil) can be combined with other offers, but I guess it's a moot point if the Advantage Program doesn't offer the same.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by liquidh2o
Did you specifically ask about combining their College Grad/Military discounts with the Advantage program?

The language indicates they (College grad/mil) can be combined with other offers, but I guess it's a moot point if the Advantage Program doesn't offer the same.
I didn't even mention that. Just asked about the Advantage program and he went off to ask some questions. He came back with that business about it being in lieu of any other discount and I would have to pay MSRP to get it, etc. etc.
liquidh2o (08-20-2014)
Old 08-20-2014, 03:13 PM
Suzuka Master

.. it being in lieu of any other discount and I would have to pay MSRP to get it, etc. etc.
This is definitely not a requirement of the program, however, if in the store they feel they want to sell at list, that is their choice (and your choice not to buy).
ZAXDude (08-20-2014)
Old 08-20-2014, 03:26 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Colin
This is definitely not a requirement of the program, however, if in the store they feel they want to sell at list, that is their choice (and your choice not to buy).
Thanks. I figured as much. I think I even tried to mention to him that no where in the TC did it mention a requirement that MSRP must be paid. The discussion just left me sour on the experience. It's totally opposite every other experience I've had there.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:24 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
Yes, you HAVE to finance with AFS to get the 2 free payments. Would I be correct in assuming that the debit card can be used for anything not just your car payment?
My dealer told me I would be receiving a debit card in about 2 weeks for $1,000 and it can be used on anything.
Colin (08-20-2014)
Old 08-20-2014, 05:30 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cruiserchuck
I had to fill out a credit application, and they input the information and issued the certificate. I was told the certificate was only available if the car that I wanted was not in stock at the dealer. Since they did not have any 4 cyl models at all, that was easy. I told them the type of car (Tech), bur not the color. We did not discuss price at all, and I did not have to make any deposit. I am not sure if you have to finance through AFS to get the $500 in accessories.
I did the same thing, he ran my credit app and came up with my finance rate through afs, the next day he called me and told me I qualified for the program, with no deposit put down.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Timmygp
My dealer told me I would be receiving a debit card in about 2 weeks for $1,000 and it can be used on anything.
When you finance it's 'easy' to get a $500/ month payment. For lease customers, it's a little different. You will have the first months credit applied to the initial driveoff, lessening this amount. Then you receive a debit card for the value of the second payment.

Remember that it is for "up to" $500/month, so if your lease payment is $329 +tax, this is the amount of the benefit ($329 x2 of course).
Old 08-20-2014, 10:11 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
Hmm. Thanks for the information, folks. I had been led to believe (by 2 different dealerships) that I could pay cash and still get the $500 in accessories. Ah well. No big deal. I'm still in "wait and see" mode.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 160 Likes on 100 Posts
Just signed up today for mine, ran it and said I was approved, figured I had nothing to lose as I was not planning to buy a 2015, but after looking at one in person, this may all change...the car s gorgeous in person, even the i4 wheels look much much better!

One reason I am considering making a purchase is due to the advantage program and it "might" be the best time to trade in the 2011 MDX now vs 1-2 years from now?

Colin or others what is your opinion (trading in a 2011 MDX now vs. waiting a year or 2?)

Now I need to test drive all 3 (i4 tech, v6 Advance & v6 Advance SHawd). Glad the program has been extended.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tsturbo
Just signed up today for mine, ran it and said I was approved, figured I had nothing to lose as I was not planning to buy a 2015, but after looking at one in person, this may all change...the car s gorgeous in person, even the i4 wheels look much much better!

One reason I am considering making a purchase is due to the advantage program and it "might" be the best time to trade in the 2011 MDX now vs 1-2 years from now?

Colin or others what is your opinion (trading in a 2011 MDX now vs. waiting a year or 2?)

Now I need to test drive all 3 (i4 tech, v6 Advance & v6 Advance SHawd). Glad the program has been extended.
Would you be kind enough to explain a little further run detail what you did to "sign up"? My preferred dealer here in Denver seems to be a little bit clueless on the program and how it works.

I'm not a current Acura owner, but am a returning one. The way I understand it, I'm still eligible to receive the $500 accessory credit. But I'm not eligible for the 1,000 towards payments.

It's a shame I may have to teach them how it works in the end....
Old 08-22-2014, 12:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Would you be kind enough to explain a little further run detail what you did to "sign up"? My preferred dealer here in Denver seems to be a little bit clueless on the program and how it works.

I'm not a current Acura owner, but am a returning one. The way I understand it, I'm still eligible to receive the $500 accessory credit. But I'm not eligible for the 1,000 towards payments.

It's a shame I may have to teach them how it works in the end....
Asked about the program, filled out credit app, he came back about 5-10 minutes later and said I was approved. I am a current Acura owner though, I thinks that's why I qualify. Read this entire thread, I spells it out pretty clearly.
ZAXDude (08-22-2014)
Old 08-22-2014, 12:24 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tsturbo
Asked about the program, filled out credit app, he came back about 5-10 minutes later and said I was approved. I am a current Acura owner though, I thinks that's why I qualify. Read this entire thread, I spells it out pretty clearly.
Thanks much. I have read it...and others. Like I said, I thought hat everyone qualifies for the $500 (as long as you finance through AHF), but only current Acura owners get the 1,000. I just want to make sure I get what I'm eligible for at purchase....
Old 08-22-2014, 05:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks much. I have read it...and others. Like I said, I thought hat everyone qualifies for the $500 (as long as you finance through AHF), but only current Acura owners get the 1,000. I just want to make sure I get what I'm eligible for at purchase....
I do not know the answer to that question, you should contact your dealer.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:58 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Not trying to necro a thread here, but I am trying to figure out if my dealer is holding out on me on this deal. He told me it has expired and I am no longer eligible.

However just doing a google search shows many dealers still advertising this deal, including another local-ish neighboring Acura dealership: Acura of Seattle.

I cant find anything on the official Acura site though, saying yay or nay on if it is still active though.

Am I getting yanked or did I really miss out on this killer deal?
Old 09-13-2014, 05:37 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by BandwidthExceeded
Not trying to necro a thread here, but I am trying to figure out if my dealer is holding out on me on this deal. He told me it has expired and I am no longer eligible.

However just doing a google search shows many dealers still advertising this deal, including another local-ish neighboring Acura dealership: Acura of Seattle.

I cant find anything on the official Acura site though, saying yay or nay on if it is still active though.

Am I getting yanked or did I really miss out on this killer deal?

I was told the deal ended on the 2nd. In fact they dated all my paperwork for the 2nd even though I picked the car up on the 4th so I would qualify.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:50 AM
Advanced

Yeah, and I have seen that date floating around this site. I also saw some people say it was getting extended to October because of the delay in the SH-AWD.

That with the other local dealer advertising it still makes me think someone is being disingenuous...
Old 09-13-2014, 05:56 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My understanding is that you had to apply at the dealership by September 2nd for the cert. So the deal is over for any who haven't applied yet. The rest of us will get the extended deal apparently due to a delay in dealerships receiving enough cars to meet the early demand.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:00 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Keifer1112
My understanding is that you had to apply at the dealership by September 2nd for the cert. So the deal is over for any who haven't applied yet. The rest of us will get the extended deal apparently due to a delay in dealerships receiving enough cars to meet the early demand.

And that makes sense. Now we are 10 days past that you would think that the dealers would have taken it down. I am going to try to work that posting against my current dealer to maybe backdate my documents like worked for Cheesey. Considering I gave them a deposit on the 8th for a car they had to order I may have some swing here...
Old 09-13-2014, 06:05 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by Keifer1112
It was my understanding the Acura Advantage deal was for cars that were not on the lot at a dealership. You had to "take delivery" before the end of Oct meaning you weren't buying something off the lot. Pretty smart actually as they knew they wouldn't have any appreciable number of cars on the lot for a few months.

That said - they already extended it once so it wouldn't surprise me if they did it again.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:19 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exactly! And a smart way to keep them from stacking up on the lot, thus creating more hype / demand. I would bet a high % of the initial sales are due to the Acura Advantage Deal.