CR - "Should I buy an Acura TLX or just buy a loaded Honda Accord?"

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 09:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
CR - "Should I buy an Acura TLX or just buy a loaded Honda Accord?"

What do you really get with an Acura TLX that you don’t get from a loaded version of its corporate cousin, the Honda Accord? To find out, we compared our four-cylinder TLX, which stickered at $35,920, with a $33,090 Accord EX-L V6. Both did well in our road tests, but the Accord finished with 84 points vs. the TLX’s 80.

In addition to costing about three grand less, the Accord’s 278-hp, 3.5-liter V6 has 72 more ponies than the TLX’s 206-hp four-cylinder.

The Accord is a full second quicker than the TLX to 60 mph. But with the TLX, you get a modern eight-speed, dual-clutch transmission, which has a more direct and sporty feel than the Accord’s conventional six-speed.

But the driving experience is quite different. Whereas the Accord V6’s power delivery is lush and smooth, the TLX’s feels crisper and more guttural. The Acura was more capable in handling and braking, and it has a quieter cabin; we found the Honda’s ride to be choppy.

Both come with such important standard features as dual-zone climate control, backup camera, and power driver and passenger heated leather seats. Their infotainment and safety suites are similarly equipped.

The TLX’s touted all-wheel steering didn’t seem to benefit agility or maneuverability. And the Accord’s conventional halogen headlamps illuminated stronger and farther than the Acura’s hyped LED setup.

Sure, the TLX has three more stereo speakers and one more year of warranty. And though it’s slower, the TLX rides better and feels sportier. If those things, plus the prestige badge, are worth the $3,000, go for it.

Mark Rechtin

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/buy-acu...130000648.html
The following users liked this post:
internalaudit (02-16-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 09:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
I apologize for the funkiness of the post above. I tried to clean it up through IE and Mozilla -- neither worked. I'm not sure why. Maybe some code carried over from the copy and paste from Yahoo?
The following 2 users liked this post by Glashub:
triax37 (01-27-2015), WheelMcCoy (02-01-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 10:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I have no doubt it'll stir up some more Accord v. TLX arguments and that's how it is.

My 2 cents: All interior differences aside, If I was looking at a V6 Accord, I'd not compare it to a I4 TLX.
The following 6 users liked this post by Stew4HD:
07Acuradude (01-28-2015), Acura-OC (01-27-2015), Glashub (01-27-2015), neuronbob (01-27-2015), tlxsteve (01-27-2015), weather (01-27-2015) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-27-2015, 10:42 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,237 Likes on 1,024 Posts
I agree. I'm not sure why they compared the V6 to the I4. Maybe just to keep the prices closer?
Old 01-27-2015, 10:45 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Thanks for posting this. I have no doubt it'll stir up some more Accord v. TLX arguments and that's how it is.

My 2 cents: All interior differences aside, If I was looking at a V6 Accord, I'd not compare it to a I4 TLX.
Egg Zactly. V6 people aren't going to cross shop i4 engines unless they're turbos.

Otherwise it's a valid comparison and worthy of debate I suppose. Frankly the Accord is a great value and it's hard to argue against it when you do a 30,000 foot view of things. If you want and can afford the extra level of refinement (better ride, quieter cabin, lots of extra little touches) then the TLX wins IMO, but those aren't necessities for most blokes.
The following 4 users liked this post by CheeseyPoofs McNut:
a35tl (01-27-2015), Stew4HD (01-27-2015), tlxsteve (01-27-2015), wlkeel (01-27-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 10:47 AM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
I'm with Stew. You're either comparing the TLX 4 cyl to the Accord 4 cyl or the TLX 6 cyl FWD to the Accord 6 cyl FWD

No one interested in paying the difference between an Accord 4 cyl and a Accord V6 is all of a sudden going to be okay driving around a 200hp TLX.

I would've been interested in the following questions:
Is a TLX 4cyl Base worth $3K over an Accord 4cyl EX-L
Is a TLX 4cyl Tech worth $5.5k over an Accord 4cyl EX-L w/ Nav?
Is a TLX 6cyl Tech worth $7k over an Accord 6cyl EX-L w/ Nav?
Is a TLX 6cyl Adv worth $9k over an Accord Touring?

But.... there's already a thread on that and so this one will probably be locked by the end of the night
DEman19901 (02-23-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 11:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Glashub....Thanks for posting. I am fully aware that the comparison was not fair (as many others have said) but please note that I am FULLY AWARE that you are not the one doing the comparison or is asking the question, but rather, just providing us with the information of the comparo.

I just felt it was important to not lose that focus
Glashub (01-27-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 11:19 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
"And the Accord’s conventional halogen headlamps illuminated stronger and farther than the Acura’s hyped LED setup.".... Is he serious? They aren't even close from my perspective. To each his own I guess.

Neil
The following 2 users liked this post by neil4:
a35tl (01-27-2015), tlxsteve (01-27-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 11:19 AM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
"Halogens illuminate stronger & farther than LEDs"........WTF?
The following 2 users liked this post by MardiGras:
a35tl (01-27-2015), tlxsteve (01-27-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 12:18 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by MardiGras
"Halogens illuminate stronger & farther than LEDs"........WTF?
That is quite possible given the different qualities and wavelengths of the light beams. The LED lights are of whiter / bluish color without question. The question is if it can illuminate farther / brighter than the halogens. May be someone who owns both should give an opinion.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfy
That is quite possible given the different qualities and wavelengths of the light beams. The LED lights are of whiter / bluish color without question. The question is if it can illuminate farther / brighter than the halogens. May be someone who owns both should give an opinion.
From LED vs Halogen - LIFX

Why is an LED Better Than a Halogen Lamp?

While a halogen bulb has a number of advantages over an incandescent light, LEDs contain a number of benefits over halogen lamps. These include:

1. Colour Profile : LEDs are available in a whole range of colours for any lighting situation. Halogen lights burn much hotter than incandescent bulbs and therefore only produce a bright white light. This might be good for some situations, but when a different colour is required, LEDs are a better option.

2. Heat : Halogen lights not only burn brightly, but they also produce a lot of heat. They can cause a nasty burn when touched by accident and will raise the temperature of a room significantly. This can cause real problems especially in hotter climates. LEDs produce very little heat and do not add to an environment's temperature. Due to their low heat output they are also safer and have a lower chance of starting an accidental fire.

3. Energy Consumption : Halogen bulbs use a large amount of electricity to produce light. This can lead to substantial energy bills. LEDs on the other hand use only a fraction of the power which can lead to huge savings each month. They are also better for the environment as they reduce the carbon footprint of those who use them through lower power consumption.

4. Long Lasting : While Halogen lamps last longer than their incandescent counterparts, LEDs can burn for a staggering 60,000 hours. In that time a consumer would have to buy anywhere from 10 to 20 halogen bulbs just for one socket. This again saves a large amount of money on replacements. It also cuts down on maintenance times. Install an LED and don't worry about it for years to come.

5. Power Source : While halogen bulbs can make excellent torches, they are often used in conjunction with a mains power source. LEDs on the other hand are able to work off of something as small as a watch battery due to their low power consumption. This increases their uses markedly. Outside Christmas lights, light strips, garden lights - LEDs can easily be used for any situation without the need to be connected to a main electricity supply. This can circumvent any concerns about having a live cable being exposed to the elements.

6. Durable : Because LEDs are made from a solid semiconductor they are much more durable than halogen bulbs. Halogen lights are made from quartz and glass and therefore are much more fragile. They can be broken when dropped or bashed, and while the quartz gives them more durability than incandescent bulbs, LEDs are far more reliable. Drop one and it will probably still work. What's more, with little or no glass, LEDs reduce the risk of an animal or child stepping on a stray shard when broken.

7. Compact Design : LEDs come in a variety of shapes and sizes and can be manufactured to almost any specification. This is why they are included in everything from mobile phones to security lights. Halogen lamps are more constrained by their bulb design, and as such are less adaptable. LEDs can happily sit flush in a wall cavity or floor without having to make any major changes to the surroundings.
tlxsteve (01-27-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 12:35 PM
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
While I haven't ridden in a current gent Accord, one of the more popular topics on driveaccord.net is replacing the stock halogens with either the Touring edition's LEDs or HIDs.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
My '13 Accord has excellent halogen headlights. But the Touring LED headlights and those on the TLX are even better.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
I agree. I'm not sure why they compared the V6 to the I4. Maybe just to keep the prices closer?
A year (or two) ago I read a book by Dan Ariely called Predictably Irrational. In it, he explains that humans do not like making decisions unless there is something to compare it to. One example cited in the book:

When Williams-Sonoma introduced bread machines, sales were slow. When they added a "deluxe" version that was 50% more expensive, they started flying off the shelves; the first bread machine now appeared to be a bargain
Consider the Accord and TLX question in this context.
The following 3 users liked this post by Colin:
Glashub (01-27-2015), MisterZDX (01-28-2015), Stew4HD (01-27-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 03:38 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I took delivery of a TLX V6 Advance in December after doing a LOT of shopping - including the V6 Accord.

Rather than taint you with my opinions, I strongly suggest you drive them, but be sure that you drive both the I4 and the V6 TLX's - they are totally different cars.

The one common thread in both the TLX's, however is the refinement - especially in sound deadening compared to the Accord and others in the price segment.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:55 PM
a77
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts
Surely the halogen vs LED vs HID is partly due to the latter 2 having very sharp cut offs. Very bright in the area the illuminate then nothing. Whereas Halogens are less bright but gradually fade, thereby having more range all be it not that well it...

The extra for the TLX is down to much more comfort and refinement, better seats, a few more features, nicer finishing. worth it for some, not for others. I for one could not easily live the lack of manual override with the Accord sedan autos. Sport excepted. Not matter how much extra go the V6 has.

As for the rear wheel steering not doing much - how can anyone tell? RWS done right reduces understeer, enabling a softer ride without compromising handling and roadholding. The TLX rides far better than the Accord. And handles just as well.....
WheelMcCoy (02-01-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 08:21 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
Yahoo is comparing based on price as follows:

Honda Accord/V6 is a better value than the 2.4 TLX + paying the extra $3000 for many people. I guess that depends on how much you value warranty, silence, and improved materials & features. There's no question an Accord V6 will be quicker/faster.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:58 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know what the author compares, but I would question the validity of the article as 35.9k is TLX v6 sticker price. Just my 2cents.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Comparing an Accord to a TLX is like comparing a Corolla to a Lexus 250 or a Maxima to an Infiniti Q50…except that the TLX is a better value than the other two luxury brands. They are apples and oranges!! Get a good car for less money or get a better car with more refinement, more amenities, better handling, smoother quieter ride, more power (4 to 4, 6 to 6), etc. Different cars, different prices.
wlkeel (01-28-2015)
Old 01-28-2015, 02:22 AM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
I can give you an unbiased opinion here as I asked exactly the same question and compared and test drove Honda Accord (including its tour version) vs. Acura TLX back-to-back three times.

Exterior: I prefer Accord's classic look both the front and the rear. However, I like TLX's side look more. To me, TLX's jewel's eyes look very cool. But its grill does not look classy enough. But thank god that Acura made it smaller compared to the 4th generation TL (it was flat out ugly). In my opinion, Acura totally messed up the exterior look of the 4th generation TL. That was why its sales declined so much compared to the 3rd generation TL which had a very handsome and classy exterior.

Interior: Acura TLX wins in every dimension. Accord's interior looks cheap (although good for its class and the money you pay) with lots of plastic. My biggest complaint is the seat comfort of the accord. Even with the leather seat of the tour version, Accord's seats are not comfortable. Technology-wise, you can argue it is a tie between the two. However, I prefer the blind spot monitor system of the TLX as Accord's system is not on unless you switch on turn signal and it is only available on the right hand side. TLX's system is always on and very easy to see.

Engine and transmission: I did not feel much of a difference when I compared both the 4 cylinder engined Accord vs. TLX and the 6 cylinder. However, transmission is very different. I am not a fan of accord's atkinson cycle transmission. However, it has been reliable. I opted for the TLX's 8 speed DCT transmission. However, now I have learned that it is still a work in progress and Acura should have done more testing and fine tuning before its release. Anyway, I paid the price to be an early adopter. It does shift very fast and smooth in higher gears (4th and above). But it jumps and lunches forward (slams to drive) during cold start.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:29 AM
shenanigans

Received 65 Likes on 36 Posts
I want to see hard data that proves that the Accord headlights are better than the TLX. I think that is the second article that I have read that. I haver a hard time believing it.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:37 AM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Glashub
And the Accord’s conventional halogen headlamps illuminated stronger and farther than the Acura’s hyped LED setup.

Mark Rechtin

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/buy-acu...130000648.html
Did they put on a welding helmet while driving the TLX?
Old 01-28-2015, 10:58 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
It would be interesting to do a comparison of LED vs halogen on a rainy and foggy night. I have had halogens on several camrys and found that my current HID's are much more effective in the rain/snow/fog than my halogens were. On several occasions my HID's on low beam have saved from hitting people and things when the visibility was low due to rain. When the payment gets wet and shiny I find that halogens illuminate the road poorly as compared to HID's and LED's.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:08 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
it is really a tough call. the price difference between two brands' I4 versions is about $5k, for V6 about $10k. those are pretty steep price for basically 80% of the same car.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:45 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Theres millions and millions of Accords. Exclusiveness has his price , and by any means
Acura is a more exclusive brand than Honda, that why people pay the extra for a MDX Vs
Pilot. But Acura sedans is the more troublesome line up in the market , it seen that people
looking for a Acura need a Science degree of aerospace to understand that a MDX is a SUV, TLX is a sport sedan.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:01 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by CARLOS10
Theres millions and millions of Accords. Exclusiveness has his price , and by any means
Acura is a more exclusive brand than Honda, that why people pay the extra for a MDX Vs
Pilot. But Acura sedans is the more troublesome line up in the market , it seen that people
looking for a Acura need a Science degree of aerospace to understand that a MDX is a SUV, TLX is a sport sedan.
good thing you brought up MDX and Pilot comparison. they're completely different vehicles, they don't share powertrains like TLX and Accord do (motors at least). it's very simple, if i have $40k to spend on a sedan, i'd get a low mileage IS350. for $30k i'd buy an Accord V6 Touring. TLX is selling because most of buyers opt for the I4, just wait until the '16 Lexus IS200T shows up that'll change real quick.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:06 PM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
it makes sense to me... its just furthering the case for the accord.. you're essentially getting close to the same if not more, in a cheaper and more powerful package..

I would think comparing it to a V6 model would only work more in the accords favor..

Originally Posted by mapleloaf
Comparing an Accord to a TLX is like comparing a Corolla to a Lexus 250
no... not even close

Last edited by Rockstar21; 01-28-2015 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:51 PM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
Originally Posted by kevTL888
good thing you brought up MDX and Pilot comparison. they're completely different vehicles, they don't share powertrains like TLX and Accord do k.
Really?
Old 01-28-2015, 01:35 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
good thing you brought up MDX and Pilot comparison. they're completely different vehicles, they don't share powertrains like TLX and Accord do (motors at least). it's very simple, if i have $40k to spend on a sedan, i'd get a low mileage IS350. for $30k i'd buy an Accord V6 Touring. TLX is selling because most of buyers opt for the I4, just wait until the '16 Lexus IS200T shows up that'll change real quick.
The issue is that, the current MDX is a new generation that came out as a 2014 model, while the current Pilot started life as a 2009 model.

The new Pilot will be based on the current MDX platform. Most likely the new Pilot will share a similar engine as the current MDX, sans direction injection.
Heck, the current Pilot and MDX both use J35. In fact, the TLX V6, Accord V6, MDX, and Pilot are use the J35 engine. So I'm not sure how you can say the TLX and Accord share the engine while the MDX and Pilot do not.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:51 PM
Suzuka Master

it is really a tough call. the price difference between two brands' I4 versions is about $5k, for V6 about $10k. those are pretty steep price for basically 80% of the same car.
But this is true for all durable consumer goods. We pay ever larger sums for smaller and smaller gains as you go up the price scale.

And, LOL, I think 80% is probably debatable considering that all body panels, all glass, shocks, rear suspension, subframes, transmissions and interiors are different. Similarities are likely limited to the central unitized body and basic architecture of the engines. You might be able to stretch it to 80% similar by weight, but by parts count, no way (IMO).
Old 01-28-2015, 02:08 PM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
I don't mind the feature comparison but I think it's important to look at what you truly need and account those for your final decision. To give you an example, Honda services is vastly different from Acura services and for my wife and I who planned on owning a single car it was imperative that we would have options like free road side assistance and free loaners if the car repair took more than 2 hours. I believe the former is offered by Honda too but the latter isn't.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:09 PM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
^
To me there is a HUGE discrepancy (locally) between Lexus and Toyota Service.

However, Honda/Acura discrepancy isn't as huge (locally at least)

-in my experience.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:34 PM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
In fact, the TLX V6, Accord V6, MDX, and Pilot are use the J35 engine. So I'm not sure how you can say the TLX and Accord share the engine while the MDX and Pilot do not.

J35 yes, but the Pilot is the pre-Earth Dreams J35Z series still and the MDX, TLX, Accord V6 are all J35Y series. Here you see a 40hp diff between the peak power Pilot/MDX whereas it's roughly a quarter of that in the Accord/TLX.

That gap will close soon, and both the Pilot/MDX will share J35Y engines. But before the 2014 redesign, the MDX was using a J37. The MDX has had a pretty healthy output advantage over the Pilot for a long time now.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
I had halogens in the past, and HIDs are far superior. Compared to the HIDs on my TSX, and RDX, the MDX/TLX LEDs are superior as well. For lighting up down the road, they even surpass the adaptive lenses on my RS4, and I'd give up the lens swiveling around the bends for the greater light output of the LEDs.

good thing you brought up MDX and Pilot comparison. they're completely different vehicles, they don't share powertrains like TLX and Accord do (motors at least).
Is that sarcasm? The engines are as different between the MDX and Pilot as they are between the Accord & TLX. Direct injection vs Port, different compression ratios, etc.

If you include the drivetrain, then the TLX differs more from the Accord than the MDX does from the Pilot.
YeuEmMaiMai (01-29-2015)
Old 01-28-2015, 03:46 PM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
But this is true for all durable consumer goods. We pay ever larger sums for smaller and smaller gains as you go up the price scale.

And, LOL, I think 80% is probably debatable considering that all body panels, all glass, shocks, rear suspension, subframes, transmissions and interiors are different. Similarities are likely limited to the central unitized body and basic architecture of the engines. You might be able to stretch it to 80% similar by weight, but by parts count, no way (IMO).
I think the 80% is in reference to quality or provisions of said parts.. not the physical shape and design of each individual one.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by 07Acuradude
I want to see hard data that proves that the Accord headlights are better than the TLX. I think that is the second article that I have read that. I haver a hard time believing it.
This yahoo (how appropriate) article is referencing the same CR article from a few months ago. Unless there were just driving around with their DRLs, I have no idea what they are smoking.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
I had halogens in the past, and HIDs are far superior. Compared to the HIDs on my TSX, and RDX, the MDX/TLX LEDs are superior as well. For lighting up down the road, they even surpass the adaptive lenses on my RS4, and I'd give up the lens swiveling around the bends for the greater light output of the LEDs.

Is that sarcasm? The engines are as different between the MDX and Pilot as they are between the Accord & TLX. Direct injection vs Port, different compression ratios, etc.

If you include the drivetrain, then the TLX differs more from the Accord than the MDX does from the Pilot.
Some people spout non sense like they know what they are talking about. So frustrating. Get your facts straight before posting garbage information.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rockstar21
it makes sense to me... its just furthering the case for the accord.. you're essentially getting close to the same if not more, in a cheaper and more powerful package..

I would think comparing it to a V6 model would only work more in the accords favor..

no... not even close
You're correct. The Lexus 250 is overpriced.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

As we can all agree that the TLX is more car than the Accord, for more money, the issue is really about individuals assessing their own subjective value proposition. What do you want in a car and how much more are you willing to pay?. That can never be decided by any number of people with different tastes and wants. For me, I always make lists of positive and any negative features (for me) of any two or three cars I am considering, including test drive performance, and then decide accordingly.

Discussion can be amusing but this topic has not only been beaten into the ground, it's been chopped into little pieces and scattered to the winds!!!!! Let's debate as to who you would prefer….Mary-Anne or Ginger. Much more interesting (I'm a Mary-Anne guy).
Old 01-28-2015, 05:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Rockstar21
I think the 80% is in reference to quality or provisions of said parts.. not the physical shape and design of each individual one.
Not sure how you parsed that from this,
...for basically 80% of the same car.
but ok.

Originally Posted by mapleloaf
Let's debate as to who you would prefer….Mary-Anne or Ginger. Much more interesting (I'm a Mary-Anne guy).
Even this is hard, Ginger for the 'one night' but Mary-Ann to take home to mom.

Quick Reply: CR - "Should I buy an Acura TLX or just buy a loaded Honda Accord?"