CR - "Should I buy an Acura TLX or just buy a loaded Honda Accord?"

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 12:00 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by Red2K
I currently own a 2014 Accord EX-L Sedan (I4) and a 2015 TLX Tech (I4)

Let's talk about the main differences.

When it comes to overall handling and ride quality, the TLX beats the Accord anyday. TLX is more refined and smoother on bumps. The cabin is very quiet compared to the Accord, which was a surprise to me since the Accord is also very quiet.

The ELS sound system is much better than the upgraded EX-L sound system. I can play the same song in both cars and there is a huge difference. Both the cars lack in the bass department but TLX delivers the music with immense details.

As far as the headlights go- I also own a 2006 Honda S2000 with stock projectors and Osram CBI 5000k bulbs. The bulbs on the S2000 are very bright and white compared to the Accord. The Accord's halogen do travel very far, but the TLX kills it with the LED setup. Much crisper, brighter, and whiter. The beam is wider in the S2000 compared to both the TLX and the Accord but that is because the way the headlights are positioned in the S2000. But yeah, the TLX has a much better light output than the Accord.

Brakes- Accord has much better brakes than the TLX. Accord seems to stop quicker and the pedal feels more solid compared to the TLX.

Acceleration- TLX is a lot quicker and also feels amazing thanks to the DCT. Accord CVT feels bland, but it is still powerful.

Interior- Accord is bigger and wider, so more room.

Bells and whistles- TLX has the tilt down side mirror when backing up. Blind spot indicator (best feature yet). Touch screen interface (annoying at times compared to the Accord). Lane Keep Assist really helps and works wonderful to my surprise.

The only thing I don't like about the TLX compared to the Accord are the wheels. I think the wheels on the Accord look a lot better than the ones on the TLX.

Bottom line- I prefer driving the Acura more than I like driving the Accord, because the TLX feels much better =)
Well put. The only thing I miss from my 13 Accord EXL is the lane watch camera - not having to turn to look behind your shoulder was a great feature to have - I'm surprised that Acura didn't ape that from the Accord.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
If you have to turn to look behind your shoulder then you side mirrors may not be optimally positioned. Left side should see straight back when you lean toward the left. Right should see straight back when you lean toward the left. You should not be able to see the sides of your car in either mirror. With this adjustment there should be no blind spot. The BSI is a bonus.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I tried to adjust my mirrors that way but I could not stand it. having to lean over to see down the side of the car sucks for me. I have never had a problem looking over my shoulder.. old habit
Old 02-05-2015, 08:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I tried to adjust my mirrors that way but I could not stand it. having to lean over to see down the side of the car sucks for me. I have never had a problem looking over my shoulder.. old habit
Funny huh? I used to place some of my car in the right side mirror. However, after years of 'forcing myself' to re-learn, I now set the mirror wider and forgo seeing my car. I've grown accustomed to it.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Colin
Funny huh? I used to place some of my car in the right side mirror. However, after years of 'forcing myself' to re-learn, I now set the mirror wider and forgo seeing my car. I've grown accustomed to it.
I think having to lean over while backing up my driveway was what did it for me. I have a narrow driveway that wraps around my house and to the back. I like being able to see both sides of the car while backing up (using mirrors, not the camera)
Old 02-05-2015, 08:24 PM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Quandry
If you have to turn to look behind your shoulder then you side mirrors may not be optimally positioned. Left side should see straight back when you lean toward the left. Right should see straight back when you lean toward the left. You should not be able to see the sides of your car in either mirror. With this adjustment there should be no blind spot. The BSI is a bonus.
+1
Old 02-05-2015, 08:26 PM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
Well put. The only thing I miss from my 13 Accord EXL is the lane watch camera - not having to turn to look behind your shoulder was a great feature to have - I'm surprised that Acura didn't ape that from the Accord.
I prefer the BSI on both sides of the car than the lane watch camera on one side.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
You may have misunderstood my note... oops I did not explain it properly. You only lean to the left and right when making the adjustment. After that sit normally and no need to look over your shoulder. How many people have you seen looking over their shoulder and not being able to keep the car in a straight line or having to brake suddenly because traffic in front was slowing unexpectedly. You are likely not one of these but new drivers are not taught properly.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Quandry
You may have misunderstood my note... oops I did not explain it properly. You only lean to the left and right when making the adjustment. After that sit normally and no need to look over your shoulder. How many people have you seen looking over their shoulder and not being able to keep the car in a straight line or having to brake suddenly because traffic in front was slowing unexpectedly. You are likely not one of these but new drivers are not taught properly.
I did understand, I've tried that adjustment and it does cover the blind spot. It is the recommended setting mentioned at a few of the safety meeting we have frequently at work.

I recall getting dinged on my first driving text for not looking over shoulder when changing lanes.. old habits
Old 02-06-2015, 06:17 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
The problem with not looking over your shoulder occurs on multi-lane highways. Many cities have 3, 4, 5 or more lanes. I've noticed for years that even though I use the approach mentioned above for adjusting the mirrors to avoid the blind spot the mirror will miss a car two lanes over on my left that decides to make a lane change into my adjacent lane. So even though there was no vehicle showing in my left mirror, by the time I execute the lane change that car also made a lane change and we are on a collision course. Looking quickly over the left shoulder prior to making the lane change will ensure that you know what is happening.
The following 2 users liked this post by Don1:
Stew4HD (02-06-2015), WheelMcCoy (02-07-2015)
Old 02-06-2015, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by CoquiTSX
I prefer the BSI on both sides of the car than the lane watch camera on one side.
I loved my lanewatch camera. In busy traffic I would turn it on and when merging right to exit the freeway it allowed me to SEE exactly what was going on over there with just a quick glance down to the iMid. The BSI tells you when someone is in your blind spot (useful but as documented above - with proper mirror placement not really necessary) but it doesn't tell you if someone is doing a quick lane change and flying up behind you to the right.

I'd love to have cameras on both side mirrors!
Old 02-06-2015, 12:14 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by Don1
The problem with not looking over your shoulder occurs on multi-lane highways. Many cities have 3, 4, 5 or more lanes. I've noticed for years that even though I use the approach mentioned above for adjusting the mirrors to avoid the blind spot the mirror will miss a car two lanes over on my left that decides to make a lane change into my adjacent lane. So even though there was no vehicle showing in my left mirror, by the time I execute the lane change that car also made a lane change and we are on a collision course. Looking quickly over the left shoulder prior to making the lane change will ensure that you know what is happening.
+1 to that. Looking over your shoulder is not just an old ritual guys. It's for everyone's safety, just like seatbelts.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:10 PM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Honda's lane watch camera is antiquated and makers like Volvo deemed it useless during poor visibility conditions switching over to radar based systems like Acura's BLIS. The camera lane watch system in my mind simply saves you from turning your head less often but that's just it and I don't consider it a true safety feature.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by baelim
Honda's lane watch camera is antiquated and makers like Volvo deemed it useless during poor visibility conditions switching over to radar based systems like Acura's BLIS. The camera lane watch system in my mind simply saves you from turning your head less often but that's just it and I don't consider it a true safety feature.
Interesting. I had my Honda for two years (almost to the day) and never had visibility issues with the lane watch camera - unlike the backup camera which gets dirty and blurry.

Maybe I'm an anomaly here - but not having to turn your head - or even glance over to the mirror and decipher what you see there - *is* the point of the camera. A quick glance from the road down to the iMid then back up to the road seems much safer. And - the camera does more than just show your blind spot - you can see exactly what's happening in the right lane.

I'm not trying to convince anyone as to the merits of the camera vs the Acura BSI implementation - just sharing my experience
Old 02-07-2015, 11:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 159 Posts
While I don't own a TLX, the topic interested me.

I cross-shopped a loaded Accord (V6 Touring) with my 4G TL SH-AWD. The offer I walked away from at Honda was $31k OTD done and done. That was a seriously solid offer.

The comparably equipped TLX to that has an MSRP of $40k (V6 P-AWS w/ Tech)

What does the TLX really have over it?

The Touring model has:

- LED Headlights
- LED Brakelights
- Power Driver + Passenger seats
- Navigation
- LaneWatch
- Push button start
- Rear view camera
- Adaptive Cruise Control
etc

I think the Accord would win in a head to head between the two. Used, I opted for the SH-AWD TL because I wanted the AWD system. If you're comparing FWD to FWD though the Accord seems way more attractive.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:27 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Red2K
I currently own a 2014 Accord EX-L Sedan (I4) and a 2015 TLX Tech (I4)

Let's talk about the main differences.

When it comes to overall handling and ride quality, the TLX beats the Accord anyday. TLX is more refined and smoother on bumps. The cabin is very quiet compared to the Accord, which was a surprise to me since the Accord is also very quiet.

The ELS sound system is much better than the upgraded EX-L sound system. I can play the same song in both cars and there is a huge difference. Both the cars lack in the bass department but TLX delivers the music with immense details.

As far as the headlights go- I also own a 2006 Honda S2000 with stock projectors and Osram CBI 5000k bulbs. The bulbs on the S2000 are very bright and white compared to the Accord. The Accord's halogen do travel very far, but the TLX kills it with the LED setup. Much crisper, brighter, and whiter. The beam is wider in the S2000 compared to both the TLX and the Accord but that is because the way the headlights are positioned in the S2000. But yeah, the TLX has a much better light output than the Accord.

Brakes- Accord has much better brakes than the TLX. Accord seems to stop quicker and the pedal feels more solid compared to the TLX.

Acceleration- TLX is a lot quicker and also feels amazing thanks to the DCT. Accord CVT feels bland, but it is still powerful.

Interior- Accord is bigger and wider, so more room.

Bells and whistles- TLX has the tilt down side mirror when backing up. Blind spot indicator (best feature yet). Touch screen interface (annoying at times compared to the Accord). Lane Keep Assist really helps and works wonderful to my surprise.

The only thing I don't like about the TLX compared to the Accord are the wheels. I think the wheels on the Accord look a lot better than the ones on the TLX.

Bottom line- I prefer driving the Acura more than I like driving the Accord, because the TLX feels much better =)
nice write up. but for the advantages TLX gets over Accord in your thread they're not worth the $10k price difference imo.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by kevTL888
nice write up. but for the advantages TLX gets over Accord in your thread they're not worth the $10k price difference imo.
Then buy the Accord and be happy
Old 02-07-2015, 10:56 PM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recently looked and drove used Honda Accords and used Acura TLs. Man, there was no comparison in how they drove. The Accord was not bad, but the TL was much more refined. The power delivery was much smoother and it had the best brakes of any car I have driven. Because the cars were used, the price differential between them was not very big.

Just another perspective.

Soaring Bear
Old 02-08-2015, 12:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Then buy the Accord and be happy
I'm starting to get the impression that one car isn't right for everybody.... strange...
Old 02-08-2015, 06:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Colin
I'm starting to get the impression that one car isn't right for everybody.... strange...
That's an outrageous claim!
Old 02-08-2015, 12:50 PM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Hard to believe there have been 100 posts on this subject. Seems like one would drive them, analyze them, and then buy what you like/want/can afford.

On the other hand, why the heck am I making it 101 posts?
Old 02-08-2015, 01:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ Could be worst, you could be like me and make it 102!

I think both the Accord and TLX are great cars. One offers a little more exclusivity and technology/refinement while the other one offers a little bit more 'mainstream', just as good reliability and a little extra dough in your wallet.

The TLX is simply the Accord's rich cousin....They both have the same genes.
The following users liked this post:
wlkeel (02-08-2015)
Old 02-08-2015, 03:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by weather
^^ Could be worst, you could be like me and make it 102!

I think both the Accord and TLX are great cars. One offers a little more exclusivity and technology/refinement while the other one offers a little bit more 'mainstream', just as good reliability and a little extra dough in your wallet.

The TLX is simply the Accord's rich cousin....They both have the same genes.
103... One might even argue that if the TLX sold more than 20% of the Accord volume, something was wrong. HMC either overpriced the Accord or underpriced the TLX.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
#104....Just for the heck of it! :-)
The following users liked this post:
wlkeel (02-12-2015)
Old 02-08-2015, 03:45 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
#105....the TLX is a great car, but if I were in the market right now for a sedan, I'd go for the Accord Touring hands down.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:44 AM
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kevTL888
Where did you get the 10k from?
Old 02-13-2015, 10:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
In Canada the difference BEFORE fees and taxes for a TLX 2.4 Tech is about 7k vs an Accord Touring; 6k difference between a TLX V6 Tech and an Accord V6 Touring. I came, I saw, and I conquered……the V6 SH-AWD Tech…..about an 8K difference.

Last edited by mapleloaf; 02-13-2015 at 10:59 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:59 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I would skip both cars and get the 2016 mazda6.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 07wdptl-s
I would skip both cars and get the 2016 mazda6.
Enjoy your Mazda
Old 02-14-2015, 12:54 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Enjoy your Mazda
I currently don't own a 2016 mazda 6 but if I had to choose between the accord and the 4 cylinder tlx I would take the mazda
Old 02-15-2015, 11:40 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
In Canada the difference BEFORE fees and taxes for a TLX 2.4 Tech is about 7k vs an Accord Touring; 6k difference between a TLX V6 Tech and an Accord V6 Touring. I came, I saw, and I conquered……the V6 SH-AWD Tech…..about an 8K difference.
Have a 3rd gen TL now and considering replacing it with a TLX or Accord Hybrid Touring. Was quite impressed with the interior tech features of the Hybrid which is comparable to the TLX. Having driven both cars, I would agree that the TLX has better handling and ride quality, but both cars are compelling. Though in Canada an Accord Hybrid Touring is about the same price as a TLX base.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Nomad346
Have a 3rd gen TL now and considering replacing it with a TLX or Accord Hybrid Touring. Was quite impressed with the interior tech features of the Hybrid which is comparable to the TLX. Having driven both cars, I would agree that the TLX has better handling and ride quality, but both cars are compelling. Though in Canada an Accord Hybrid Touring is about the same price as a TLX base.
I think there are a few of us that would like an acrura hybrid although some of us think that is a stupid idea.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:26 PM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by 07wdptl-s
I currently don't own a 2016 mazda 6 but if I had to choose between the accord and the 4 cylinder tlx I would take the mazda
I love the Mazda 6 and Mazda 3 (I have an MX-5 Miata) - they are really fun to drive - Zoom Zoom. But if you're looking for ride comfort and quietness, be sure to evaluate them very carefully, especially the Mazda 6 Touring versions with the larger wheels.

I place great emphasis on ride and quietness, so I went with the TLX. But everyone has different priorities.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
So if I negotiated about 1500 off the price of a fully loaded 2016 Mazda 6 with Technology package (estimating about 800 in fees that you won't find on the website), and put the same money down as I put on my 3.5 TLX SH-AWD, the payment is $20 more per month with taxes than my TLX. Hmmm….tough choice…NOT!!!

The 2% reduction in the interest rate for a previous Acura customer helps, but, it still wouldn't be close in terms of choice. Same reason why I would also take the Accord Touring 4 cylinder…better value proposition. The Mazda 6 is an excellent car, but…..
Old 02-18-2015, 09:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Mazda's traditionally poor resale value hurts their ability to offer good lease residuals. I remember back around 2004, we were looking to replace our first S2000 lease and looked at the RX-8. Although it was similar in selling price, the monthly payments were ~$200 higher! We went with another S2000, our third of four.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:47 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 846 Likes on 526 Posts
The Mazda 6 is a nice car, but it seems a bit pricey. The fully loaded GT with Tech model is at $33k. The top of the line Accord Touring V6 is just $500 more, and you get a car that has much better performance than the Mazda 6.

While the TLX I4 Tech is some $2000 more expensive, you do get a car with a much more sophisticated transmission, better NVH, better performance, and more features in general.

I think $30k would have been more reasonable for a fully loaded Mazda 6.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:33 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Personal choice

Accord is a great car. I had one for a long time never had any issues. However, TLX is different car. It's gives you a nicer, quieter, smoother ride with the better feel of interior materials. I would say if you go for a ride and if you do not see obvious difference, go for Accord. For me, TLX V6 SH-AWD is amazing value for the car that has fantastic driving dynamics, great fuel economy and Honda reliability.