Cilajet

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 11:34 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Cilajet

does anyone installed the product that the dealer offered to protect the paint called cilajet? can you find it somewhere else?
Old 07-24-2015, 02:22 AM
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 105 Posts
I don't personally know about the product but I saw the information on the web and it appears that it was originally designed for the aerospace industry. It looks to be a decent product, but again, I can't confirm anything.

I did have Opti-Coat Pro applied to my car at the time of delivery in mid February and to this day (5+ months later) it still beads when wet and cleans up very nicely. I know there are some good products out there, but you'll need to do as much research as you can to determine what's best.

I was also told that a big part of any coating application is making sure the paint is prepped correctly to give the best appearance after any coating is applied. Mine was prepped first before the coating and it looked night and day different in just the time I picked up the car and after the detailer had finished.

I'm very happy with Opti-Coat, but that's not to say this won't be a fine or better product.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Clean it good & use a quality carnauba wax. Paint has a clear coat to protect the color coat.

17 years outdoors 24/7/365, occasional washing, 2 detailing's, waxed about once every 18 months.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:08 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cilajetreviews.com

Originally Posted by pizokk1
does anyone installed the product that the dealer offered to protect the paint called cilajet? can you find it somewhere else?
We invite you to check out what other happy Cilajet customers are saying at [URL="http://www.cilajetreviews.com"]

Cilajet can only be applied at authorized dealerships. Please email us at info@cilajet.com to find an authorized dealership near you.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:14 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
i already watched videos where dealers are doing cilajet and all they do is polish the product and sealant, thats not alot of work to pay about 1500 bucks, thats alot of money , i work harder than that in construction and i get paid les than that i understand its all about to take care about my car but im not stupid to pay that amount of money,if there is nothing to do out of the dealer its okay i can take care of my car by my own
Old 07-24-2015, 04:11 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^^^^

Agree another puff & buff product to recover some of the profit the dealer lost negotiating the cars price.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:10 PM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Mr Bear has a point. Your opinion on coatings being overpriced is valid too.

However, carnauba waxes only last about 1 month while synthetic sealants can give you around 4-6 months worth of protection. These coatings are semi-permanent and last years. Properly prepping your paint and waxing/sealing it every few weeks/months takes lots of hours. A coating brings convenience in exchange for a higher price.

I'm a fan of sealants. I know lots of people love coatings. Classic carnauba waxes still have a pretty big following too. You choose what suits you best but IMO all 3 options are perfectly viable.

Also, you can look into applying a coating yourself. More and more companies are coming out with their own coatings offering anywhere between 1-5 years worth of protection (at least that's what they claim).

Last edited by EddieOnAZ; 07-24-2015 at 07:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Hoosier_TLX (07-24-2015)
Old 07-24-2015, 10:28 PM
Racer

There's already some discussion about the process and reasoning behind me going with a coating, but I mainly did it because I'm lazy (and don't have much time) and I can't always find the time to completely detail my car. By having any additional assistance in keeping a black car clean, I was willing to give it a shot. It wasn't excessively expensive, it still looks amazing, I got a professional paint prep/correction in the price, and if it aids in keeping my paint protected then that's a bonus.

I agree that waxes, sealants, and coatings offer "potentially" different levels of protection and at different costs, so it's up to each individual as to what is best for them.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:32 AM
Racer

Exactly. I do find 1500$ a little expensive though. The prep should not take a ridiculous amount of time since the car is brand new. I often see detailers offering prep+coating for 800-1200 on used cars needing some correction done on the paint.

As usual, OP might be paying a little too much by purchasing through the dealership. It would also be interesting to compare this specific coating to ones used by mainstream professional detailers.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Some pros & cons on Edmunds. Interesting thing is the post from VA where a guy got his new Honda done for $550 by the dealer. Link below

Honda Civic Cilajet - Car Forums at Edmunds.com
Old 07-25-2015, 01:05 PM
Racer

The price OP was quoted probably reflects the prep they would have to do before applying the coating.

Would I trust a dealership to properly prep my car's paint AND properly apply a coating? Hell no. Even disregarding the high price, I wouldn't trust dealership staff using any type of tools on my car.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by EddieOnAZ
I wouldn't trust dealership staff using any type of tools on my car.
Two things. The OP said "dealer offered" with prep seems the same as the $550 deal. Just seems like a big spread or maybe an Acura Tax.

Second about dealers & tools, you ever get or intend to get warranty work?

Personally I do everything myself but do have warranty & free maintenance items done by the dealer. Once had a blown engine replaced, oil pump failure, while on the road by a local dealer. The SUV was sold a while back & AFAIK its still chugging right along.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 07-25-2015 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:38 PM
Racer

The price OP was quoted probably reflects the prep they would have to do before applying the coating.

Would I trust a dealership to properly prep my car's paint AND properly apply a coating? Hell no. Even disregarding the high price, I wouldn't trust dealership staff using any type of tools on my car.
When I purchased my car, the dealership offered a Simoniz coating and they would have taken it to a local detailer to actually apply it. I doubt if most dealerships would do it themselves, but you never know.

I had my coating done at a very reputable detail shop and I've even taken my CTS back to them to have it detailed so I could try to sell it. It's sad, but it looked better the day I picked it up (the CTS) than the 7 or so years I owned it. They did an amazing job and the price wasn't nearly as much as what the OP is having quoted to him.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:49 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Two things. The OP said "dealer offered" with prep seems the same as the $550 deal. Just seems like a big spread or maybe an Acura Tax.

Second about dealers & tools, you ever get or intend to get warranty work?

Personally I do everything myself but do have warranty & free maintenance items done by the dealer. Once had a blown engine replaced, oil pump failure, while on the road by a local dealer. The SUV was sold a while back & AFAIK its still chugging right along.
Lol I'm sorry I meant "any type of tool on my car's paint"

I prefer Indy shops for mechanical work but I'm sure a dealership won't fuck shit up mechanically. However, their "detailing" departments are not to be trusted IMO.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:52 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Hoosier_TLX
When I purchased my car, the dealership offered a Simoniz coating and they would have taken it to a local detailer to actually apply it. I doubt if most dealerships would do it themselves, but you never know.

I had my coating done at a very reputable detail shop and I've even taken my CTS back to them to have it detailed so I could try to sell it. It's sad, but it looked better the day I picked it up (the CTS) than the 7 or so years I owned it. They did an amazing job and the price wasn't nearly as much as what the OP is having quoted to him.
Yeah professional detailers make your car look like new. Even better in some cases. Simoniz isn't exactly regarded as top of the line detailing stuff too, I personally wouldn't have purchased that coating.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Agree on that, tell them not to wash it when I take it in for service.

Misunderstood the use of "tools" earlier.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:02 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Often the perceived value of these coatings from the dealer are in some sort of warranty they offer. But there are usually so many loop holes in those warranties that they are essentially never honored.

I think modern coatings are great and have applied them to three of our personal cars. They do take work to prep the paint. Even on my wife's brand new Mini I spent hours prepping the car for Opti-coat. But it is worth it. Other coatings are just as good. If you invest some money in a good polisher and pads and are willing to invest the time, it is a DIY job and you may even get some satisfaction doing it yourself.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:03 PM
Racer

It's fine I wasn't very precise, my bad.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:06 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Often the perceived value of these coatings from the dealer are in some sort of warranty they offer. But there are usually so many loop holes in those warranties that they are essentially never honored.

I think modern coatings are great and have applied them to three of our personal cars. They do take work to prep the paint. Even on my wife's brand new Mini I spent hours prepping the car for Opti-coat. But it is worth it. Other coatings are just as good. If you invest some money in a good polisher and pads and are willing to invest the time, it is a DIY job and you may even get some satisfaction doing it yourself.
How is the longevity on opti-coat? I love optimum products in general but I've heard mixed reviews on the coating.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:15 PM
Summer is Coming

How is the longevity on opti-coat? I love optimum products in general but I've heard mixed reviews on the coating.
They don't last forever, but they last far longer than wax and longer than sealants. They make the car easier to clean. If you clean the car regularly after applying a coating they will last longer. Also if you apply a topping after cleaning it extends the life. I'm not sure there is a rule of thumb how long they last since there is so much variability in how each owner maintains their car. I must admit I get lazy in keeping my car clean. Then I pay for it with hours of claying, polishing, coating etc...
Old 07-27-2015, 08:57 AM
Racer

I had my Opti-Coat Pro applied in Mid February and with almost a month straight of rain, it still looks amazing and it cleans up very easily. So far it's lived up to my expectations. I'm very happy with my decision to skip the dealer installed and go this route.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:22 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
There are a bunch of coatings on the market now, it used to be just OptiCoat (in the US) and Gtechniq C1 (in the UK)

Opti's old products (OptiCoat 2.0, OptiGuard) were considered permanent. A consumer could purchase OC 2.0 and be done "for life" (the coating would stay on, but chances are in a few years you would have to touch it up anyway because of swirls in the coating, etc)

They revamped their product line and now the only one considered permanent is OptiCoat Pro and its only sold to and applied by professional approved detailers. Optimum GlossCoat is their consumer product, and its rated at 2 years. Since its only been out a few months, no one knows what 2 years really means (does it come off the paint or are they just saying it)

Other brands are CarPro CQuartz (Classic, UK, Finest), Pinnacle, Gyeon, 22PLE, etc. They all have pro-only products and consumer versions.

Im an OptiCoat fan...had it applied back when it was 2.0 on my G37 and then reapplied as OptiCoat Pro when the dealer washed it against my wishes and swirled up the whole deal. A year later even when the car is dirty it still looks spectacular. As such, I had OptiCoat Pro applied to our new car by the same detailer.

If you want to DIY, you need to make absolutely sure the paint is perfect AND perfectly clean. Polish out all the swirls (or until you are happy), then be sure to remove any oils leftover from the polish products. IPA wipedown or other specific products (I loved using Griots Paint Prep, worked really well and was quick). If the paint isnt perfectly clean of previous products, the coating wont stick.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:51 AM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
I had the Cilajet put on at the dealership when I picked up the car in November. Stuff slides right off of it, it's great. A 5 year re-application was included. We'll see how it lasts. I certainly don't have the time to hand wax and buff the car once a month. The way I price my non-working time, at 2-3 hours month for waxing, at $1500 the Cilajet would pay for itself in less than six months.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:35 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I dont think the quesiton is here is if a coating is worth it.

The question would be, could you get a different (more proven, not dealer installed) coating for 1500 or less.

I can assure you the answer is a resounding yes. I paid half that much to have a professional detailer do a deconamination wash, single stage polish and apply OptiCoat Pro (along with OptiLens on the head and taillights, and OptiGlass on all the glass) to our new car.

If given the option, I wouldnt let the dealer touch the car at all. Drive the car to a detailer and have them have at it. You'll save money AND get a better job.
The following users liked this post:
BEAR-AvHistory (08-02-2015)
Old 08-01-2015, 08:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
I had a different coating applied to my MDX back in August when we purchased it. It was already on the car, and my salesman didn't even bother try to sell it to me as an option, so it was included for free.

The TLX was purchased in Novermber didn't have anything on it, so I put 2 quick coats of optiseal on it in December just to get through the winter. Just last month, I clayed, polished, and prepped the paint for PInnacle's Black Diamond Sealant, and I have to say I have been very impressed. I can definitely tell it is a much high quality product by how it beads water, and protects the paint from bird bombs. Dirt also seems. to not stick to the paint as well either.

For the price they charge, I would pay a pro detailer to prep, and top your car with Opticoat, CQuartz, or Pinnacle. You'll pay less, and end up with a higher quality product.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:53 AM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
I had a different coating applied to my MDX back in August when we purchased it. It was already on the car, and my salesman didn't even bother try to sell it to me as an option, so it was included for free.

The TLX was purchased in Novermber didn't have anything on it, so I put 2 quick coats of optiseal on it in December just to get through the winter. Just last month, I clayed, polished, and prepped the paint for PInnacle's Black Diamond Sealant, and I have to say I have been very impressed. I can definitely tell it is a much high quality product by how it beads water, and protects the paint from bird bombs. Dirt also seems. to not stick to the paint as well either.

For the price they charge, I would pay a pro detailer to prep, and top your car with Opticoat, CQuartz, or Pinnacle. You'll pay less, and end up with a higher quality product.
To keep that shine going as long as possible... every time you wash your car hit it with an instant detailer as a topper like thess...

http://www.autogeek.net/quickdetail.html
Old 08-02-2015, 10:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
To keep that shine going as long as possible... every time you wash your car hit it with an instant detailer as a topper like thess...

Quick detail sprays, spray waxes and spray sealants provide instant shine and paint protection! Pinnacle Crystal Mist, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Spritz
I'm actually a big fan of Aquawax. I buy it by the gallon, and use it with every wash. Lubes while drying, and lasts a little while. Very cheap as well.