Car and Drivers TLX V-6 Instrumented Test

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014 | 12:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by saturno_v
Q50 buyer remorse?? For a TLX?? Are you kidding me??
Nope, not kidding. you dost protest too much, methinks.
Old 11-18-2014 | 12:25 PM
Banned

I agree with you 100% but $12,000 more you can get comparably equipped 335i vs a v6 tech TLX and get a more of sports car like experience. for 12k less you get a competent car performance wise that rides tons better and is much quieter. for most acura buyers who are looking at the TLX are looking for comfort, quietness, value both for initial ownership and cost of maintenance, with solid performance.
Problem is Acura decided to play in that sandbox...so comparisons are made....you want quiet in the $40K range?? Get a Lexus ES....

Last edited by saturno_v; 11-18-2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-18-2014 | 12:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nexx
shouldn't have remorse for buying a Q50 but I don't see the Q50 being a far superior car like you make it out to be.

It is for me...and I bet that if you ask to 10 car enthusiasts (not Acura or Infiniti owners), 7 out of 10 would tell you the same thing...but everybody is entitled to their opinions....
Considering that both Infiniti and Acura are value propositions compared to the Germans, the large price difference tell a clear story....but, again, you are free to believe whatever you want to believe....

Last edited by saturno_v; 11-18-2014 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-18-2014 | 12:37 PM
Burning Brakes

It is for me...and I bet that if you ask to 10 car enthusiasts (not Acura or Infiniti owners), 7 out of 10 would tell you the same thing...but everybody is entitled to their opinions....
Considering that both Infiniti and Acura are value propositions compared to the Germans, the large price difference tell a clear story....but, again, you are free to believe whatever you want to believe....

give me your definition of enthusiast
Old 11-18-2014 | 12:42 PM
Suzuka Master

There you have it! That really is the question, isn't it?
Old 11-18-2014 | 12:46 PM
Banned

Someone that love cars...for the way they drive, for their performance, for the way they are built...not very hard to define....
Old 11-18-2014 | 12:49 PM
Instructor

Someone that love cars...for the way they drive, for their performance, for the way they are built...not very hard to define....
I've read reviews that felt the Q50 didn't handle worth a sh!t. I'd think enthusiasts would have a problem with that.
Old 11-18-2014 | 12:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by smoooov
I've read reviews that felt the Q50 didn't handle worth a sh!t. I'd think enthusiasts would have a problem with that.
The only bad things I read in the Q50 revies is about DAS, not the handling...
Old 11-18-2014 | 12:58 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

I thought that is a fair review and sums up exactly what I think the TLX FWD V6 is. No real surprises.

And the test proves what I've been saying, that the TLX V6 FWD is highly competitive in straight line acceleration against the likes of IS350 and ATS 3.6.

Here are the numbers of TLX V6, IS350, and ATS 3.6 for comparison:
Habemus Papem! 2013 BMW 335i M Sport vs. 2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6, 2014 Lexus IS350 F Sport Comparison Tests - Page 5 - Car and Driver

0-60
ATS: 5.6s
IS350: 5.6s
TLX: 5.7s

5-60
TLX: 5.8s
ATS: 5.8s
IS350: 6.2s

0-100
TLX: 13.3s
IS350: 13.5s
ATS: 13.8s

0-130
TLX: 24.2s
IS350: 25.9s
ATS: 26.2s

1/4 mile ET
IS350: 14.0s
TLX: 14.2s
ATS: 14.2s

1/4 mile trap speed:
TLX: 103mph
IS350: 102mph
ATS: 101mph

Top gear 30-50mph:
TLX: 3.1s
ATS: 3.1s
IS350: 3.2s

Top gear 50-70mph:
TLX: 3.7s
ATS: 3.9s
IS350: 3.9s

In general, these numbers suggest that all three cars are pretty much just as fast as each other. Any suggestion that the TLX V6 is slow means that the IS350 and ATS 3.6 are also slow. These numbers also show that the TLX has traction issue which hinders its 0-60mph time and 1/4 mile ET. However, once the car is up to speed or from a roll, it would ever so slowly crawl away from the ATS 3.6 and IS350. That sort of trap speed destroys the likes of C300, 328i, ATS 2.0T, and A4 2.0T that are closer in the price range.

I suspect the TLX AWD would probably shave a couple tenths of a second for the 0-60mph sprint and 1/4 mile run, but the 1/4 mile trap speed would take a small toll due to the heavier curb weight and AWD system.
The following 8 users liked this post by iforyou:
4WDrift (11-19-2014), a35tl (11-18-2014), iutodd (11-19-2014), JM2010 SH-AWD (11-18-2014), Legend2TL (11-18-2014), neuronbob (11-18-2014), ostrich (11-18-2014), Stew4HD (11-18-2014) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-18-2014 | 01:09 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by justnspace

Also, there is no room for improvement, as that's the most Honda can wring out of it, as they are a "green" company and not a performance company.
I miss the '90s when Honda cared more for performance, rather than saving me 0.5 mpg.

If a Type S model does come out, it's not that Honda can't get more power out of it, but more so that it's still a FWD car and having 400hp to the front wheels is just stupid, unless you have herculean arms to fight dat torque steer. Honda could always up the displacement like they did between the 3G TL/Type S to get more power, but probably won't. It's funny, because Honda refuses to move to RWD, they're limiting themselves to how much power they can put out. Horsepower sells cars.

Last edited by TacoBello; 11-18-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11-18-2014 | 01:37 PM
AZ Community Team

meh, no one lied as it's all relative. No one promised a 350HP motor, and last time I checked it's not possible to measure a "adrenaline rush". Anyone one who's taken basic marketing 101 knows this, you adjust your marketing message/image/statement for the particular end user segment you are aiming for. Every automaker does it including BMW, Porsche, Ford, Honda, Toyota....

and that basic concept hasn't changed in decades.

Why not BMW have a marketing campaign about the truth, i.e. "the ultimate driving machine that will cost you a fortune once it's out of warranty and free dealer provided service ends"
Doesn't work, now does it?

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Because being lied to sucks. The whole marketing program for the car is disingenuous & has no relationship to reality.

At the unveiling of the TLX Mike Accavitti Senior VP of Acura lied through his teeth about the TLX's capabilities.

"Last January, Mike Accavitti told a standing-room-only crowd of journalists that the 2015 Acura TLX would deliver “an adrenaline rush like no other” and that it would be “instinctively responsive,” “firmly planted,” and “incredibly nimble.”

So based on this hype "were are finally going to get a first class sports sedan" posts flooded the board. Visions of 350hp carland sugar plumbs danced in their heads.

Then reality sets in & the attitude on the board is "oh well its quiet". What happened to all its going to be a killer car posters?

Its guys like Accavitti that give marketing people a bad name. You expect some puffery, nobody is going to say our new product sucks, but total BS is something else.

Why not build a marketing program around the truth. Solid, quiet, Honda dependability, MPG, bang for the buck. There is plenty there to sell the car if they believed in it.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 11-18-2014 at 01:46 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Legend2TL:
a35tl (11-18-2014), CoquiTSX (11-23-2014), dysonlu (11-18-2014), JM2010 SH-AWD (11-18-2014), wlkeel (11-18-2014)
Old 11-18-2014 | 02:02 PM
Instructor

"I thought that is a fair review and sums up exactly what I think the TLX FWD V6 is. No real surprises.

And the test proves what I've been saying, that the TLX V6 FWD is highly competitive in straight line acceleration against the likes of IS350 and ATS 3.6."

What surprised me was that this review didn't completely trash the handling saying it handled pretty well for a FWD.
The following users liked this post:
Stew4HD (11-18-2014)
Old 11-18-2014 | 02:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
meh, no one lied as it's all relative. No one promised a 350HP motor, and last time I checked it's not possible to measure a "adrenaline rush". Anyone one who's taken basic marketing 101 knows this, you adjust your marketing message/image/statement for the particular end user segment you are aiming for. Every automaker does it including BMW, Porsche, Ford, Honda, Toyota....

Why not BMW have a marketing campaign about the truth, i.e. "the ultimate driving machine that will cost you a fortune once it's out of warranty and free dealer provided service ends"
Well said. If "truth in advertising" was really held up, so many things in ads would be illegal. As an example, every truck company says it's the best selling, most powerful, etc. Where's the outcry because someone is lying!?
Old 11-18-2014 | 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Well said. If "truth in advertising" was really held up, so many things in ads would be illegal. As an example, every truck company says it's the best selling, most powerful, etc. Where's the outcry because someone is lying!?
Haha - watch this commercial for the Dodge Friggin Dart:

"Take it to the Track!"
"Give it more power. More Power. Never too much power."
"Making a ground breaking car"

I guess somebody should sue Dodge for not telling the truth! Lols!
Stew4HD (11-18-2014)
Old 11-18-2014 | 02:28 PM
Burning Brakes

My only issue with Acura is that the initial ad campaign talked about the Thrill and showed a car in the dark rocketing around city streets. We see the prototype and hear about the Thrill. I love Acura, and I suspect that the TLX is a very nice, comfortable and value automobile for the long haul,.....but this is not the thrill that I was expected based upon the image put forth. If they advertised as reliable, comfortable, quiet and semi-luxury, then I think that no one would feel too mislead. I have test driven all of the model styles and I like the car for what it is. But I think that Acura has defined Thrill in their ads, and I just didn't get that feeling on any of my test drives.
Old 11-18-2014 | 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by quantum7
My only issue with Acura is that the initial ad campaign talked about the Thrill and showed a car in the dark rocketing around city streets. We see the prototype and hear about the Thrill. I love Acura, and I suspect that the TLX is a very nice, comfortable and value automobile for the long haul,.....but this is not the thrill that I was expected based upon the image put forth. If they advertised as reliable, comfortable, quiet and semi-luxury, then I think that no one would feel too mislead. I have test driven all of the model styles and I like the car for what it is. But I think that Acura has defined Thrill in their ads, and I just didn't get that feeling on any of my test drives.
Right. I think there is a clear disconnect with car enthusiasts and the current Acura TLX. That's well established. They have/will lose some sales from existing Acura owners. Meanwhile I suspect they will gain more sales from existing Accord drivers (much larger group) which seems to be the target for the i4 and i4 Tech IMO.

They can't say that in marketing because it's just not very exciting. The nature of marketing is to PUMP YOU UP - not tell the truth and the Accord isn't a very exciting car nor is the image of a really really nice Accord - so we get the Thrill campaign. The proof is in the pudding as Ben Franklin used to say - they need to sell a lot of these cars and so far they're doing pretty well. So maybe they're not so stupid after all?
a35tl (11-18-2014)
Old 11-18-2014 | 03:01 PM
Instructor

Car power and weigh dictate what performance to spec , pure and simple.
Add 200lbs to a FI car, or sheet 300 from the TLX and these cars will be 100% different.
Another fact, Acura wasnt selling fantasy with a 290 HP car, it perform like 98% of all 290 hp cars around, as well as they test a 700HP Lambo. Any 700HP supercar posted 8.9 0/60
times ???
Old 11-18-2014 | 03:04 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CARLOS10
Car power and weigh dictate what performance to spec , pure and simple.
Add 200lbs to a FI car, or sheet 300 from the TLX and these cars will be 100% different.
Another fact, Acura wasnt selling fantasy with a 290 HP car, it perform like 98% of all 290 hp cars around, as well as they test a 700HP Lambo. Any 700HP supercar posted 8.9 0/60
times ???
Um... Wut?
Old 11-18-2014 | 03:24 PM
Burning Brakes

The only bad things I read in the Q50 revies is about DAS, not the handling...
steering feel is HUGE to me as an "enthusiast". im sure your wife is pushing her q50 to its limits in turns and in the quarter mile so she can take advantage of advantage of her Q50 over the TLX right?
Old 11-18-2014 | 03:28 PM
Banned

steering feel is HUGE to me as an "enthusiast". im sure your wife is pushing her q50 to its limits in turns and in the quarter mile so she can take advantage of advantage of her Q50 over the TLX right?

You do not need to push a car to its limits to enjoying a sporty driving and to feel the difference with other automobiles....Do you need to floor a 328i all the way to appreciate the difference form a Lexus ES??

DAS it's fine.
Old 11-18-2014 | 03:50 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by justnspace
do you even know why BMW calls itself the ultimate driving machine?

because of the driving experience.
the thrill is there.

sure, there is thrill in the aesthetics of the TLX. but the TEST above indicates that there is no thrill.

Stew, do you not consider the TLX as a value driven, reliable vehicle?
Do you get your thrill from saving money?
I'm pretty sure there are many folks out who are bored to death driving a 3-Series. You think the 3-Series or even an M3, or any mass produced BMWs for that matter, are the ultimate driving machines?

Why is that you accept one (arguably much bolder) marketing slogan, but not the other?

Funny how haters never see hypocrisy and irony when they stare right at it.
Stew4HD (11-18-2014)
Old 11-18-2014 | 03:57 PM
Senior Moderator

DAS it's fine.
LOL. That should be the Q50's marketing slogan since you are so hung up on accuracy in advertising.

The car handles great, but has no steering feel? If you can't tell what the wheels are doing in relation to the steering wheel effort, then yeah the car may go around a corner ok, and generate good stats, but no one would describe that as great handling. Most reviews recommend the traditional steering rack over DAS, and the hydraulic rack is being replaced with the old one from the G37 due to poor feel.

If I recall correctly, Infiniti had G37 ads with couples accidentally getting on a race track and driving around with F1 cars, and asking for directions. Purely comical you say? They also have a Q50 ad showing the car racing around a track, flying past Vettle's F1 car. I guess those ads are accurate, and not over the top at all while showing the TLX zooming around on city streets is just crazy........

These numbers are right on point with what I expected, and lend validity to TOV's numbers which were much quicker than Edmunds for the AWD version.

It seems like the V6 TLX matches up just fine with the 328, IS350, etc for this questionably valuable 0-60 metric which some said was not even within the realm of possibility.
Old 11-18-2014 | 04:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
LOL. That should be the Q50's marketing slogan since you are so hung up on accuracy in advertising.

The car handles great, but has no steering feel? If you can't tell what the wheels are doing in relation to the steering wheel effort, then yeah the car may go around a corner ok, and generate good stats, but no one would describe that as great handling. Most reviews recommend the traditional steering rack over DAS, and the hydraulic rack is being replaced with the old one from the G37 due to poor feel.

If I recall correctly, Infiniti had G37 ads with couples accidentally getting on a race track and driving around with F1 cars, and asking for directions. Purely comical you say? They also have a Q50 ad showing the car racing around a track, flying past Vettle's F1 car. I guess those ads are accurate, and not over the top at all while showing the TLX zooming around on city streets is just crazy........

These numbers are right on point with what I expected, and lend validity to TOV's numbers which were much quicker than Edmunds for the AWD version.

It seems like the V6 TLX matches up just fine with the 328, IS350, etc for this questionably valuable 0-60 metric which some said was not even within the realm of possibility.

I never mentioned the Acura advertising campaign I believe...you are confusing me with Bear-AvHistory
Old 11-18-2014 | 04:55 PM
Suzuka Master

I think you guys have all brought good points to the ongoing conversation....but we all understand that this is not a black/white answer or a right/wrong one. It is all about perception and expectations so obviously, the ones that bought the TLX are of the opinion that Acura delivered on what they promised, while those that didn't are convinced (yet).....

We all need to understand that we all have difference of opinion of what perormance, handling and thrill means so while I am all for people articulating their vie point, as long as it remains civil, respectful and entertaining/engaging, it's all good.

For me, I think Acura did deliver a great package whith really good styling and amazing features for the price point but needed a bit more time before rolling it out thus the reason I am still waiting it out.

I will say that I am a little dispointed in that they hyped this vehicle tremendously (driving the streets and flying in the air and such) and delivered something a bit different. A 4 cylinger without a huge HP number but a fun quick shifting DCT while offering a model with lots of power but matched with a transmission geared for fuel economy....To me, its almost as if they should have done the opposite, a fuel efficient 4 with an efficient tranny and a fun powerful car with a quick shifting tranny....I know I know...the DCT can't handle this HP of the V6 but I am just saying that it just feels like they mismatched the tranny/engine.

*reaching for a glass of wine and enjoying the rest of the conversation*
Old 11-18-2014 | 05:06 PM
Burning Brakes

With all due respect -- we are manipulated in so many more ways than we're aware of. Read "Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion, Revised Edition". It's unbelievable. Acura fudging a little with the word "thrill" is nitpicking and some might argue that it's our fault for feeling betrayed as we're the ones who projected our ideas, images, and associations on a bunch of dots on a screen. We projected our expectations onto that campaign. We all do it. That's why it's so important to be aware of the auto triggers within each of us -- that's what they reach for when they want to yank a consumers chain. There are plenty of people who will find the TLX very thrilling, upscale, and satisfying.

Here's a link,
Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion, Revised Edition: Robert B. Cialdini: 9780061241895: Amazon.com: Books Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion, Revised Edition: Robert B. Cialdini: 9780061241895: Amazon.com: Books
Old 11-18-2014 | 05:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dysonlu
I'm pretty sure there are many folks out who are bored to death driving a 3-Series. You think the 3-Series or even an M3, or any mass produced BMWs for that matter, are the ultimate driving machines?

Why is that you accept one (arguably much bolder) marketing slogan, but not the other?

Funny how haters never see hypocrisy and irony when they stare right at it.
Hey, the guy said the 2015 Acura TLX would deliver “an adrenaline rush like no other” and that it would be “instinctively responsive,” “firmly planted,” and “incredibly nimble.”

He actually delivered warm oatmeal. If that's OK with you have a nice time with the TLX Adrenaline Rush if you can find it.

Interesting thing, He did manage to fool the automobile press:

C&D said "Journalists could be forgiven for emerging from the presentation with the impression that they had just seen a seriously hot new sports sedan."

So I am not alone in my thoughts on his comments. Regardless people here will still make excuses for the presentation, eat their oatmeal & wait for the fabled "S" Type.

At the end of the day C&D couldn't get the Rush. They also seemed not to be able to find the other high points but did find fading brakes.

Maybe that's the RUSH, brake pedal on the floor as the car continues on.
Old 11-18-2014 | 05:21 PM
Burning Brakes

The Japanese have an approach to life that is millennia old and is goes complete against the grain of Teutonic thinking -- Wa: The key to clear, harmonious design. To Acura, I'd bet, they have delivered a harmonious blend of virtues and I don't think they really care that a BMW has more torque and goes faster (on a soft suspension with wishy washy steering). The funny thing about speed is that there is always a faster car. I had a 385 hp Genesis that was breath taking up to 40 mph when I had to slam on my brakes to avoid hitting someone in stopped traffic on a freeway. I can't tell you how often I was stuck next to a Civic whether I was driving a Jag, Porsche, BMW, or Rolls.
Old 11-18-2014 | 05:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Hey, the guy said the 2015 Acura TLX would deliver “an adrenaline rush like no other” and that it would be “instinctively responsive,” “firmly planted,” and “incredibly nimble.”

He actually delivered warm oatmeal. If that's OK with you have a nice time with the TLX Adrenaline Rush if you can find it.

Interesting thing, He did manage to fool the automobile press:

C&D said "Journalists could be forgiven for emerging from the presentation with the impression that they had just seen a seriously hot new sports sedan."

So I am not alone in my thoughts on his comments. Regardless people here will still make excuses for the presentation, eat their oatmeal & wait for the fabled "S" Type.

At the end of the day C&D couldn't get the Rush. They also seemed not to be able to find the other high points but did find fading brakes.

Why is this so important to you? WHY?

You obviously have no intention of buying the TLX, have always let us know that you don't like the car yet you must maintain this "Acura lied to me" crap as if it actually affects you, personally. It's become quite silly.

Have you driven the I4, the V6 or SH-AWD? I think not, yet you run with any negative mention from a mag/reviewer for what purpose?

What is your agenda here? Are you hoping to "get through" to just one potential buyer and change his/her mind? Is that it? Would that give you "That kind of thrill"?

It seems that you can't sleep well at night for worrying that Acura is scamming someone.
a35tl (11-18-2014)
Old 11-18-2014 | 06:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Because product marketing is interesting to me. Was involved in it for a very long time.

I also enjoy the way the TLX marketing strategy drives the give & take of the defenders like you vs. those with differing opinions on the forum.

Just some points, correct I will not be buying a TLX. Incorrect, I have said all along the car will sell well & is a good value.

Correct I did not choose to drive one. My dealer is also an Acura dealer, bought my TL (Summer Tires, 6MT, Brembo Brakes) there, when I looked at the car & saw the tires there was no point.

I would have driven the TLX that Mike Accavitti was talking about with the prototype skin in Red but they did not have one. I did not drive a 428 either.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 11-18-2014 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-18-2014 | 07:26 PM
Suzuka Master

..."ouch" If Acura execs read this...they'll be upset and want to give you a smack bottom (lol)
BEAR-AvHistory (11-19-2014)
Old 11-18-2014 | 08:37 PM
Senior Moderator

You guys take this way too seriously. It is clear the TLX performs similarly to its intended competition as evidenced by iforyou's excellent post.

There will be a Type S TLX at some point to handle enthusiasts. Let's let the initial launch complete before the volume enhancers for later in the model run, like a type S, come into play.

Now everybody go drive their cars and enjoy them! REAL enthusiasts actually drive their cars.

*Bob scuttles off to garage to change CTS-V summer wheels for winter set so he can drive like an enthusiast*
The following 3 users liked this post by neuronbob:
a35tl (11-18-2014), ostrich (11-19-2014), Stew4HD (11-19-2014)
Old 11-18-2014 | 08:47 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Legend2TL

I was one of the overly optimistic ones. I expected maybe 5-10hp over the rlx, like the last time, so 320hp? Paired with the nerfed rlx 7 dct i thought this would easily break 4s considering how close the 4g mt comes. Sadly the 9at and 290hp version are insufficient to achieve those numbers (although still an improvement on last gen). I almost bought the m235i (320hp lol), and probably would have if a 2gc was available. The 335i sport just didnt wow in the same way sadly.
Old 11-18-2014 | 09:37 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by iforyou
I thought that is a fair review and sums up exactly what I think the TLX FWD V6 is. No real surprises.

And the test proves what I've been saying, that the TLX V6 FWD is highly competitive in straight line acceleration against the likes of IS350 and ATS 3.6.

Here are the numbers of TLX V6, IS350, and ATS 3.6 for comparison:
Habemus Papem! 2013 BMW 335i M Sport vs. 2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6, 2014 Lexus IS350 F Sport Comparison Tests - Page 5 - Car and Driver

0-60
ATS: 5.6s
IS350: 5.6s
TLX: 5.7s

5-60
TLX: 5.8s
ATS: 5.8s
IS350: 6.2s

0-100
TLX: 13.3s
IS350: 13.5s
ATS: 13.8s

0-130
TLX: 24.2s
IS350: 25.9s
ATS: 26.2s

1/4 mile ET
IS350: 14.0s
TLX: 14.2s
ATS: 14.2s

1/4 mile trap speed:
TLX: 103mph
IS350: 102mph
ATS: 101mph

Top gear 30-50mph:
TLX: 3.1s
ATS: 3.1s
IS350: 3.2s

Top gear 50-70mph:
TLX: 3.7s
ATS: 3.9s
IS350: 3.9s

In general, these numbers suggest that all three cars are pretty much just as fast as each other. Any suggestion that the TLX V6 is slow means that the IS350 and ATS 3.6 are also slow. These numbers also show that the TLX has traction issue which hinders its 0-60mph time and 1/4 mile ET. However, once the car is up to speed or from a roll, it would ever so slowly crawl away from the ATS 3.6 and IS350. That sort of trap speed destroys the likes of C300, 328i, ATS 2.0T, and A4 2.0T that are closer in the price range.

I suspect the TLX AWD would probably shave a couple tenths of a second for the 0-60mph sprint and 1/4 mile run, but the 1/4 mile trap speed would take a small toll due to the heavier curb weight and AWD system.
Thank you so much for bringing in some objectivity and strong argument into this thread. Opinions are just opinions. At the end of the day, I appreciate some facts like these! Thank you.

I think that Acura has been such an easy target for a while now. Look at the new MB C300. Everyone says it's gorgeous and does not criticize it for its cramped interior space, small trunk, and 0-60 mph of 6.5s. No one ever said that it was slow. On the other hand, my goodness, the TLX V6 SH-AWD gets criticized for its interior space, trunk space, and "slow" 0-60 mph time of 5.7s for crying out loud! While these are all better than the new MB C300, somehow no auto journalist would say a negative word about the MB C300 while crucifying the TLX V6 SH-AWD for the same items.

I parked next to a C400 yesterday. It just looked weird - a long, long bonnet contrasted with a short stubby rear end. It did not look $20,000 better than my TLX SH-AWD Elite for sure! On the other hand, my TLX looked well-proportioned and very nice indeed.... :-)

Life is tough being an Acura sedan....
The following 6 users liked this post by ostrich:
a35tl (11-18-2014), Cmyoung (11-19-2014), JM2010 SH-AWD (11-19-2014), jterp7 (11-18-2014), Stew4HD (11-19-2014), wlkeel (11-19-2014) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-19-2014 | 12:03 AM
shenanigans

Reading this thread and I cant believe some people take commercials and marketing so seriously/literally...LOLZ

iforyou -GREAT post.
The following 2 users liked this post by 07Acuradude:
dysonlu (11-21-2014), Stew4HD (11-19-2014)
Old 11-19-2014 | 07:06 AM
Drifting

For me the "thrill" is another day not having my Acura flat-bedded out of our neighborhood like I commonly see happen with many of my neighbors' Euro cars!

BTW, great post above Dr. Bob - well said.
The following 2 users liked this post by JM2010 SH-AWD:
jterp7 (11-19-2014), ostrich (11-19-2014)
Old 11-19-2014 | 07:49 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by neuronbob
You guys take this way too seriously. It is clear the TLX performs similarly to its intended competition as evidenced by iforyou's excellent post.

There will be a Type S TLX at some point to handle enthusiasts. Let's let the initial launch complete before the volume enhancers for later in the model run, like a type S, come into play.

Now everybody go drive their cars and enjoy them! REAL enthusiasts actually drive their cars.

*Bob scuttles off to garage to change CTS-V summer wheels for winter set so he can drive like an enthusiast*
... and in the meantime, the strongest and the most negative opinions seem to come from those who don't own a TLX, who have barely driven a TLX, and dare I say..... who have NEVER driven a TLX.....! OOPS!
Old 11-19-2014 | 07:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ostrich
... and in the meantime, the strongest and the most negative opinions seem to come from those who don't own a TLX, who have barely driven a TLX, and dare I say..... who have NEVER driven a TLX.....! OOPS!
BAM!
Old 11-19-2014 | 01:13 PM
Cruisin'

Problem is Acura thinks they can compete in a segment by compromising so much.

-Hidden exhaust tips. Really? In a luxury/sport or sport/luxury car segment?

-Front wheel drive. Even with the SH-Awd the car understeers in corners. This is partly blamed on the chassis tuning and partly blamed on FWD.

-Light steering is blah. Acura is going for sporty yet even in Sport Mode the steering is too light. Lexus, BMW, Cadillac, Infiniti at least have a heavy steering feel.

-Wheels and tires: the wheels are so small...look at Infiniti offering 19" wheels and the Q50 looks gorgeous. Looks expensive.

Lack of power is another thing I won't dive into much. my test drive in the V6...felt a little underpowered compared to other 6 cylinders from other competition.

My impression after my test drive: TLX doesn't differentiate enough from the Accord. The other Japanese makes at least differentiate. The Q50 is way different from the Altima and the IS350 is nothing like a Camry or Corolla.

Last edited by chris2k5; 11-19-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Old 11-19-2014 | 01:14 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by ostrich
Thank you so much for bringing in some objectivity and strong argument into this thread. Opinions are just opinions. At the end of the day, I appreciate some facts like these! Thank you.

I think that Acura has been such an easy target for a while now. Look at the new MB C300. Everyone says it's gorgeous and does not criticize it for its cramped interior space, small trunk, and 0-60 mph of 6.5s. No one ever said that it was slow. On the other hand, my goodness, the TLX V6 SH-AWD gets criticized for its interior space, trunk space, and "slow" 0-60 mph time of 5.7s for crying out loud! While these are all better than the new MB C300, somehow no auto journalist would say a negative word about the MB C300 while crucifying the TLX V6 SH-AWD for the same items.

I parked next to a C400 yesterday. It just looked weird - a long, long bonnet contrasted with a short stubby rear end. It did not look $20,000 better than my TLX SH-AWD Elite for sure! On the other hand, my TLX looked well-proportioned and very nice indeed.... :-)

Life is tough being an Acura sedan....
Thanks!

To be fair, car and driver's review of the C300 was pretty spot on too. It mentioned most of the shortcomings that you listed such as cramped space, below average braking, and average handling.
Old 11-19-2014 | 01:33 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by chris2k5
Problem is Acura thinks they can compete in a segment by compromising so much.

-Hidden exhaust tips. Really? In a luxury/sport or sport/luxury car segment?

-Front wheel drive. Even with the SH-Awd the car understeers in corners. This is partly blamed on the chassis tuning and partly blamed on FWD.

-Light steering is blah. Acura is going for sporty yet even in Sport Mode the steering is too light. Lexus, BMW, Cadillac, Infiniti at least have a heavy steering feel.

-Wheels and tires: the wheels are so small...look at Infiniti offering 19" wheels and the Q50 looks gorgeous. Looks expensive.

Lack of power is another thing I won't dive into much. my test drive in the V6...felt a little underpowered compared to other 6 cylinders from other competition.

My impression after my test drive: TLX doesn't differentiate enough from the Accord. The other Japanese makes at least differentiate. The Q50 is way different from the Altima and the IS350 is nothing like a Camry or Corolla.
wheels and steering feel are subjective...but on power it does match and exceed the ATS and IS350...and this is on garbage eco tires. Look above for the numbers.
Stew4HD (11-19-2014)

Quick Reply: Car and Drivers TLX V-6 Instrumented Test