Canadians and Advance owners, please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2022 | 12:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by VTECin5th
Dear diary,

Today I tore the mirror apart to find which pins run the motor for folding. I already knew they'd work open/close by reversing polarity but I didn't know which two wires in the harness were used. I didn't want to short out anything else, even though I probably won't be using much of it, I decided to tear the whole mirror down.

It was pretty terrible to tear down. Not because it's hard but because it feels like everything is going to break. I used plastic pry tools to not scratch anything. I spent too long messing around but I took pictures so I can reference and enumerate them further later.

For now, I'm going to post the pics of which wires are used and where they are in the adv mirror harness. I haven't compared the mirror harnesses yet. (I did but I don't remember it).

The power folding mirror motor uses orangish-brown+black stripe and the wire next to it, orangish brown. They're in the corner.

The way I count my pins, is looking into the connector with the release on top. 1->10 across the top 11->20 on the bottom. Making the pins #11&12.

2020 Acura TLX Advance Power Folding Mirror. Folding Mirror motor pins. Reverse polarity to change direction. Wire colors are orangish-brown+black stripe and orangish-brown. Your wiring colors may vary and often do year to year
​​​​​

In this picture, the wires used for folding are the top right. Orangish-brown+black stripe & orangish-brown
Hello my friend how the swap going? Any further updates? Thanks
Old 02-26-2022 | 01:06 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SHayat786
Hello my friend how the swap going? Any further updates? Thanks
hi. No, not yet, unfortunately.

I haven't had the time to take it all apart and compare. I might order a door harness to compare them out of the car. It's inconvenient to take my whole door apart and compare pins, then the wife wants to go somewhere or the kids need something and I gotta put it all together again 😅

I haven't given up yet
Old 10-07-2022 | 04:54 AM
Intermediate

I know it has been some months but it is cooling down here next month. I plan to continue working. I never did order the stock door wiring (I have advance door wiring) to compare but I think I may do that next because I can compare switch wires away from the car much easier.

I think for anyone in the future that finds this thread, you will not have to buy everything listed above. I think the more logical approach for our vehicles is to use the existing door wiring and add wiring and relays coming off the Adv switch for the mirrors. If anyone has found any updated information, I will gladly take it.

​​​​​
Old 10-07-2022 | 01:56 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by VTECin5th
I know it has been some months but it is cooling down here next month. I plan to continue working. I never did order the stock door wiring (I have advance door wiring) to compare but I think I may do that next because I can compare switch wires away from the car much easier.

I think for anyone in the future that finds this thread, you will not have to buy everything listed above. I think the more logical approach for our vehicles is to use the existing door wiring and add wiring and relays coming off the Adv switch for the mirrors. If anyone has found any updated information, I will gladly take it.

​​​​​
Unsure if either of these may be the wiring diagram you're looking for.
The following users liked this post:
VTECin5th (10-07-2022)
Old 10-07-2022 | 08:41 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 18TLXAspec
Unsure if either of these may be the wiring diagram you're looking for.
They will surely help. Thanks for these. All of the links I found before from alldata were already down
🥳

My car was hit by a tree in a recent storm and scratched up the entire passenger side/top of my car. Glad I didn't have the mirrors on yet. Still very sad

Needs a buff or more

Last edited by VTECin5th; 10-07-2022 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-28-2023 | 01:11 AM
Intermediate

I don't have any great update but I spent some hours today checking out what the advance switch does and the wires for it.

The advance door panel inner harness (panel only, NOT the main door harness with the door jamb connector) will work in our cars. This harness has the additional pins used for the Power Folding Mirror switch.

​​​​​​I'm not exactly sure how the switch works yet or how to wire it up to be used. When you check for continuity between ground and the two mentioned wires, they have continuity, until you press the fold button, then it stops having continuity and the other one in the set has continuity. Something like a 'reverse' ground circuit. I'm not sure if maybe the mirror is supposed to have 12v always and then when you press the button, it grounds and completes the circuit? I tried to mess with that a bit but blew a fuse. If anyone ever gets there, it's the under hood fuse, 10a/red "Back Up". I want to play with it some more but I can't keep taking the door panels apart just to test. Knowing I can use the advance inner door harness, I may be able to set up an external rig indoor.

I will go back and take a look at the diagrams shared above and see if they make more sense to me now. I'll also share the switch wires I'm talking about for anyone else.

Old 05-28-2023 | 06:37 AM
Intermediate

Spamming my own thread like a headass

Sorry for spamming my own thread. I ran out of edit time. Me taking notes here saves them for later and helps me.

After looking at the diagrams above, it appears as though: the driver side window switch supplies the two main wires used for folding (gray and white in my case but orange and orange/blk on the mirror harness side). During my tests, I did not try connecting the power window switch. I actually forgot I even ordered that and there was probably a reason for it. It would seem that reason is to supply the fold with both wires.

In my testing yesterday, there were really only 3 noticed different wires from the inner door panel harness (again, not the inner door harness that has jamb connectors). White, gray and purple. And a couple others that were probably for the camera and whatnot but as far as the switch for folding is concerned, there were only those 3 differences.

Now when I'm looking at the diagram, I think I may be able to connect the advance harness, advance mirror switch and advance window switch and then check for voltage on the white and gray that are supposed to feed the mirror folding. If I find voltage at those wires, I may be able to press the button again and see if the voltage is then changed to be the opposite (-12v in this case).

IF that works, it will be quite helpful. The other things to figure out is if purple (signal wire from adv mirror fold button on switch) wire needs to go anywhere else or if it is all dealt with in the master window switch. And then if there's already a wire connecting the fold-signal from the driver side switch to the passenger side switch. The diagram shows a junction but I'm not sure if that's already there, only there in cars with PFM, or worse, if it's some kind of relay I've never heard of while searching for parts.

That diagram is coming in clutch, it reminded me to make use of that expensive ass window switch I have around and forgot about entirely. I really hope the power required is already in place but if it's not, I may be able to jump it from somewhere nearby using that diagram
​​​​
Old 05-29-2023 | 07:03 PM
Intermediate

I got it!

I have the driver side working using the oem advance switch. No relays are needed! Everything is handled in the power windows switch. I will find out/pray that the connection from driver to passenger side is existing. I'll find that out soon. Right now I'm going to install the advance sub-harness, mirror switch and window switch into my door panel and get it wired up.

I will have to depin and make a custom mirror plug from the existing mirror plug but in my test using two wires from the window switch, the power fold button works as intended. I'll update the thread with more info. I just now got it and this was my first stop.

parts list: Advance Mirror, Advance sub harnesses for door panels, Advance window switches, wires, patience.

I'll do a write up in a new thread after I get this completely sorted. For now, it works. Hopefully I can repin the existing harness and not make too many splices. I spliced two wires on the sub harness to test with

Let's goooo!

Old 05-29-2023 | 07:06 PM
Intermediate

@SHayat786 @edmua6 @18TLXAspec

Thank you all so much for the help. Everything shared helped me figure this out as I went along. I'll keep you all updated soon enough!
Old 05-30-2023 | 01:04 AM
Intermediate

I didn't get to the passenger side. I ran into unexpected problems with the door panel. Getting to the switches is harder than I expected. And depinning the existing mirror harness was next level headass. I spent a couple hours and still broke some pins. I ended up sacrificing the interior door jamb harness to pull some new pins and repinned the small mirror connector + 2 for folding. I used that door jamb harness+regular mirror pigtail to make a jumper harness for going from advance mirrors to A-Spec door panel plug. This wasn't ideal as I sacrificed my mirror harness and to sell or fix them, I would need another mirror or custom pigtail.

The car automatically detects the mirrors and gives me options in the menu now. I will get to the passenger side and figure out the rest. I still need to redo some wiring in my driver side door. It got late so I threw thin wire in and put the panel back on.

Edit: one more thing. I'm not sure why but my driver side window Auto roll up/down doesn't work. The switch is brand new. The passenger side works. I'm not sure if there's something missing, the passenger side switch needs to be in also or I just got a broken switch. I'm likely never buying another one to find out if it's the switch itself.

here's a video of it in action:

Last edited by VTECin5th; 05-30-2023 at 01:08 AM.
Old 06-01-2023 | 10:54 AM
Instructor

That is great my friend congratulations please do let me know once the entire right up is done in detail.
The following users liked this post:
VTECin5th (06-01-2023)
Old 06-03-2023 | 03:50 AM
Intermediate

That is great my friend congratulations please do let me know once the entire right up is done in detail.
I will. I finished it up today. Unfortunately, my brand new passenger side mirror is a bit crunchy or clicky. I read others have this happen but haven't looked for a solution yet. It sucks this is just removed from the box, still had plastic on it but had been sitting for over a year. As such, I doubt Acura would take it back at this point. I may call and ask because it can't hurt to ask.

It also turns out that we DO need the passenger side door jamb+inner harness. I didn't expect that with the driver side working fine but the passenger side sub-harness needs it to fit/function.

I verified the infotainment options for "fold automatically with key fob lock"/"only manual" do actually work. My auto window switch just needed a reset and works normally again.

Until I get to writing up the process, here's a video:
Old 06-05-2023 | 10:56 PM
Intermediate

I sent a PM but had to remove that thread because I'm a retard and kept mixing up two pics and wires. I verified it today and reposted, the DIY is all up now:

https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-...-spec-1003245/

And thanks for all of your help sharing what you'd heard and learned, and for the words of encouragement 🥳🎉