Buying decision

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 05:17 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buying decision

Hello,

First time here.. and have super hard time to decide... I tried: Infinity QS50s AWD, Volvo S60 R AWD, and Mercedes Class C AWD... and of course TLX AWD... Mercedes is gone... no match.... Liked Infinity - buy high price is ... hm.... Liked performance of Volvo.... but... felled in love with cheaper TLX for comfort, but not for performance...

So final debate is between Volvo (325hp, 5.5 0-60mph), and this Acura... Did anybody consider Volvo??? I just am torn apart... I think Volvo is decent.. yet, not much on the road thinking must be expensive to repair if needed... Car we need mostly for the hwy ...

Any inputs highly appreciated, thx!

Whats your thoughts about Acura's reliability and price value hold???
Old 07-13-2015, 06:14 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by zawaprz
Hello,

First time here.. and have super hard time to decide... I tried: Infinity QS50s AWD, Volvo S60 R AWD, and Mercedes Class C AWD... and of course TLX AWD... Mercedes is gone... no match.... Liked Infinity - buy high price is ... hm.... Liked performance of Volvo.... but... felled in love with cheaper TLX for comfort, but not for performance...

So final debate is between Volvo (325hp, 5.5 0-60mph), and this Acura... Did anybody consider Volvo??? I just am torn apart... I think Volvo is decent.. yet, not much on the road thinking must be expensive to repair if needed... Car we need mostly for the hwy ...

Any inputs highly appreciated, thx!

Whats your thoughts about Acura's reliability and price value hold???
Hi, Acura typically has pretty good resale value. The TLX is so new and not too many people have put a lot of miles on them that it is hard to tell the long term reliability. The J-series motor in the v6 has been used by Acura/Honda for a long time and should not have any issues. The car uses a newly designed transmission from ZF, and it is a 9-speed. The only issue I can potentially foresee with this car is the ZF transmission. Some people notice a hard shift when it shifts from 2nd to 3rd gear. Once again, this transmission is so new that we don't have the long-term reliability on it. The ZF 8 speed that is used by many different car manufacturers is regarded as one of the best transmissions out there, but the ZF 9 speed is engineered differently and only time will tell.

You cross shopped a lot of good cars, and a lot of cars that other people on this forum have looked into like the Q50 and C class. A couple others that some people look at are the BMW 3 series, or the Lexus IS. if you are looking for an AWD car and plan to spend in the $39,000 to $45,000 range, I would check out the Lexus IS AWD. It is a very dependable car and is proven, has good performance, and will hold its value well. I don't really have experience with Volvo and haven't looked into them, so I can really speak on that. The SH-AWD that Acura uses is loved by many and highly spoken of. I'd recommend checking out the Lexus before you make your decision. The TLX is a great car if you can live with the fact of being unsure how the transmission is going to be in the long run
Old 07-14-2015, 06:08 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by h_dawg
Hi, Acura typically has pretty good resale value....
Thank you !

I'm split 50/50 at this point between getting TLX or Volvo S60 R design... (decision will be my wife's as it'll be her car) - waiting for re-testing both cars (both AWD) with her.

I think two are dramatically different cars... I like TLX.. my wife is more into 'sport' in dramatic like sense - Volvo does not disappoint while I truly love luxury level of Acura, soft, super quite...
Old 07-14-2015, 08:43 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S60 has been out for a pretty long time now so a new redesign should be coming in a year or two. If you plan on keeping the car for a couple of years the Acura will hold it's value a lot better. Right now you can probably get a great deal on a 2015 TLX AWD, I got mine three weeks ago with 4k off msrp and 2 years free maintenance.

But most importantly just buy what the wife wants. lol
Old 07-14-2015, 08:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts

Both are great cars. The TLX is considerably cheaper when comparably equipped (about 10k in Canada). Similar story with Lexus, BMW and Infiniti.

When it comes to performance, you should watch the link above comparing a FWD Volvo S60 to the TLX SH-AWD. You may be surprised.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:07 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Carbonic
S60 has been out for ,,,Right now you can probably get a great deal on a 2015 TLX AWD, I got mine three weeks ago with 4k off msrp and 2 years free maintenance.

But most importantly just buy what the wife wants. lol
Thanks!
It's always good to know...
p.s. : This S60 is not regular, it is an R Design... quite a different animal from regular S60 with over second acceleration punch, and totally differently SPORT shaped seats...
Old 07-14-2015, 09:10 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by mapleloaf
When it comes to performance, you should watch the link above comparing a FWD Volvo S60 to the TLX SH-AWD. You may be surprised.
I know this review, thx! Unfortunately I'm not comparing apples to apples as model I'm thinking about is S60 R Design - 325hp with 267 lb-torque... Acura's acceleration nowhere close, lagging probably second behind RD....

But I understand. I still of course like Acura (no meter which way we'll go) for what it offers for money !

p.s. Acceleration why thrill it does not constitute day to day hwy drives... I'm through the teenage age , lol.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 319 Posts
If you like Acura for what it offers why not just go Acura? I am pretty sure the Acura will be more reliable, better resale value and cheaper maintenance. Just my 2 cents
Old 07-14-2015, 11:33 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey zawaprz, your inbox is full but I can tell you that I'm from Toronto Canada and the deal I got from my dealer was a promotion from Acura Canada so I don't know if there's any deal like this in America. I do know the 2016 TLXs are coming in late August so Acura is probably doing a lot of incentives for the 2015 model, you can probably knock down 5-6k easily if you buy the top of the line TLX AWD Advanced.
Cheers!
Old 07-14-2015, 12:36 PM
Instructor

I know this review, thx! Unfortunately I'm not comparing apples to apples as model I'm thinking about is S60 R Design - 325hp with 267 lb-torque... Acura's acceleration nowhere close, lagging probably second behind RD....

But I understand. I still of course like Acura (no meter which way we'll go) for what it offers for money !

p.s. Acceleration why thrill it does not constitute day to day hwy drives... I'm through the teenage age , lol.

The TLX has the same torque as the S60R... down a little on the hp but im sure it's not that noticeable. If you put the TLX in sport mode, I'm sure you will find its acceleration to be fine (0-60 in about 5.7-5.8 for the AWD), and it's not like you are going to be punching it 24/7. The performance numbers seem pretty similar to me and close to the volvo. Definitely recommend driving the TLX in sport or sport+ and seeing how you like it
Old 07-14-2015, 12:37 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Volvo just bought tuning company Polestar!!!

i know i know, off topic.. but i would do a S60R Polestar over a winky dinky TLX.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:44 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by justnspace
Volvo just bought tuning company Polestar!!!

i know i know, off topic.. but i would do a S60R Polestar over a winky dinky TLX.
Minus the 20k price difference, I'd probably agree with you
Old 07-14-2015, 01:30 PM
10th Gear

The TLX has the same torque ...t
Nope, sorry TLX users ! R Design S60 has: .... 354lb-ft --> right hand side locum: 2015.5 Volvo V60 Specifications - Sports Wagon | Volvo Cars

Accelerating RD makes u vomiting wigh G forces... coud not find it with either S or S+ mode...

But I UNDERSTAND Limitations, as I totally am aware of it.... I buy car to drive, not to race, and Acura can see why feet so many..
Old 07-14-2015, 01:36 PM

not sure if this was intended for me, as OP and I have never interacted before...but OP sent me a PM...

The battle for us is unsettled.. We found 2016 RD extremly bumpy, and people say dealer most likely forgot to take out dampers from telescopes as they are used for transport.... We have tried RD 2015 and drive was like in Acura ...

so having 5.4 for 0-60mph is way better then TLX's probably around 6.4... u can easily tell the difference whatever it is...

but more factors we consider - mileage, quietness, and price...

... as well as reliability...
Acura in this regard has a good history, though this 2015 is a new car...

unsettled... probably will make decision in 2-3 weeks :wink:
gathering from context the RD is the S60 R-Designed (RD)

Hope you make a sound decision and come back to tell us what you purchased!!
Old 07-14-2015, 01:37 PM
10th Gear

Minus the 20k price difference, I'd probably agree with you
This and mpg is some sort of sell advantage fact for Acura for sure...

(different strokes for different folks I guess)...

While I like price/ride of TLX am ready to go more RD...

I'm deliberately brain storming with people just to see what motives decided for people to go with one or the other car... Indeed so far with RD forum seems it was more emotional (guess rightly so) then logical ... but it's been always that way... same as in my opinion many people are obsessed about having sport manual transmission over tip-tronic or automatic... just what I said in paren... (there is no medicine for that), lol.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (07-14-2015)
Old 07-14-2015, 01:41 PM
10th Gear

not sure if this was intended for me,
In a sense it was intended for u, now that you have made it public, keep stroking...
Old 07-14-2015, 01:49 PM

In a sense it was intended for u, now that you have made it public, keep stroking...
at this point in my life, i will still pick the rational thoughts over the emotional.

EVEN though I dislike the TLX(i could buy a better used vehicle than the TLX), the TLX would get my vote over the 60R.

however; if I was a little more established, I would pick the emotional purchase..the 60R!!!
Old 07-14-2015, 01:53 PM
10th Gear

...I would pick the emotional purchase..the 60R!!!

me 2, lol.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:54 PM
Instructor

Nope, sorry TLX users ! R Design S60 has: .... 354lb-ft --> right hand side locum: 2015.5 Volvo V60 Specifications - Sports Wagon | Volvo Cars

Accelerating RD makes u vomiting wigh G forces... coud not find it with either S or S+ mode...

But I UNDERSTAND Limitations, as I totally am aware of it.... I buy car to drive, not to race, and Acura can see why feet so many..
Oh, well you previously said that the Volvo you are looking at has "325hp with 267 lb-torque." 267lb ft vs 354 lb ft is a big difference lol
Old 07-15-2015, 05:56 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Jakes_tl
If you like Acura for what it offers why not just go Acura? I am pretty sure the ..
If that was for me, I'd go with that... but ... I'm not a woman, lol!
Old 07-15-2015, 11:18 AM
10th Gear

After tring S3 from Audi I think TLX is over for me. thx for all input guys.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:32 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
After trying 1986 Citation from Chevrolet I think TLX is over for me. thx for all input guys.
Fixed.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:07 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
What about the GS350?

I am looking at the TLX but may go with a CPO '13 ES350 or GS350. An ES with 15k miles and some goodies will be about the cost of a 2.4 base TLX and a GS with the same will be about the cost of a 2.4 tech TLX.

A lot of the posts on issues have scared me a little off the TLX with 2 brand new transmissions. The ES and GS have had the same powertrains for a decade but that isn't necessarily a bad thing in my mind. The TLX looks more fresh but solidity is very important to me.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Macau Park
What about the GS350?

I am looking at the TLX but may go with a CPO '13 ES350 or GS350. An ES with 15k miles and some goodies will be about the cost of a 2.4 base TLX and a GS with the same will be about the cost of a 2.4 tech TLX.

A lot of the posts on issues have scared me a little off the TLX with 2 brand new transmissions. The ES and GS have had the same powertrains for a decade but that isn't necessarily a bad thing in my mind. The TLX looks more fresh but solidity is very important to me.
I have a v6 TLX and a buddy of mine has a 2013 GS 350. The GS350 is a great car, I highly recommend it if you are not willing to risk it with the ZF 9 speed transmission. If you are buying a used one, get a 2014 or up GS350... in 2014 I believe Lexus updated the GS transmission to an 8 speed which they use in a lot of their other vehicles and is solid
Old 07-15-2015, 08:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Two points. There is no identified issue with long term reliability for the 9 speed. Rather this is primarily an issue with users getting accustomed to the transmission, in particular the first two shifts. The other 6 are absolutely like butter. Once you learn the transmission and it learns your driving style, the vast majority of users report that there are no issues…especially with later production models.

Secondly, I find it amusing that the Acura s compared with a vehicle that costs substantially more than it. In Canada a fully equipped Elite SH-AWD is more than 10k less than the Volvo RD. It should have some better characteristics for that coin! There is no question, IMHO, that the Acura is a better buy, dollar for dollar. But if that is not an issue, then clearly you should go for the car that meets your emotional requirements. The S4 seems like a good choice fbased on your posts. For me, too small, and not the best looking outside or inside, but no doubt a sporty ride. Enjoy.
The following users liked this post:
a35tl (07-15-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 06:27 PM
Instructor

Two points. There is no identified issue with long term reliability for the 9 speed. Rather this is primarily an issue with users getting accustomed to the transmission, in particular the first two shifts. The other 6 are absolutely like butter. Once you learn the transmission and it learns your driving style, the vast majority of users report that there are no issues…especially with later production models.
Not saying they will be problematic, but the fact they are both brand new designs and people having issues so early in the mileage is not confidence inspiring. That combined with the other smaller but numerous things people are complaining about has me doubting Acura.

I was thinking a used Lexus would actually be safer because the trannies are bullet proof, and with some miles on it, any issues would more likely be apparent.

If Acura went with the same old 6-speed, people would be complaining, but their QA seems like it is lacking testing or rushed.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Not saying they will be problematic, but the fact they are both brand new designs and people having issues so early in the mileage is not confidence inspiring. That combined with the other smaller but numerous things people are complaining about has me doubting Acura.

I was thinking a used Lexus would actually be safer because the trannies are bullet proof, and with some miles on it, any issues would more likely be apparent.

If Acura went with the same old 6-speed, people would be complaining, but their QA seems like it is lacking testing or rushed.
Who among us has a crystal ball. Remember, however, that Acura didn't develop the ZF, they sourced it from the Germans and certainly would have tuned it tuned and installed as per their product specs.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:07 AM
Instructor

What is worse Acura wheels or Lexus grills? Gotta go with Lexus grills (even worse than the worst A beak), saw pics of the 2016 ES and RX and am leaning back towards a TLX lol.

I am really surprised they went that direction with their bread and butter. The IS sure because it is their smaller, sportier car and NX because it is their new small CUV. The '16 ES and RX are abominations. I predict RDX and MDX sales will go through the roof when the '16 RX goes on sale.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

What is worse Acura wheels or Lexus grills? Gotta go with Lexus grills (even worse than the worst A beak), saw pics of the 2016 ES and RX and am leaning back towards a TLX lol.

I am really surprised they went that direction with their bread and butter. The IS sure because it is their smaller, sportier car and NX because it is their new small CUV. The '16 ES and RX are abominations. I predict RDX and MDX sales will go through the roof when the '16 RX goes on sale.
Abominations might be a little strong, but i concur that they are not particularly attractive and perhaps will get "old" real fast.
Old 07-18-2015, 11:00 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
ooooh.... i wish I can get a C class... a beauty...

but if i have to decide between volvo or tlx, I'd go for tlx
Old 07-18-2015, 04:55 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts

I agree with the other poster who said "abomination may be a little strong".. But I do agree that the 2016 RX in the photos I've seen is going to take some getting used to, but I'll reserve my final opinion for when I see it in person.

However, with that being said IMO the RX will still outsell the MDX as it always has, the Lexus faithful aren't going to jump ship. I've owned two MDX's (2005 & 2008) in the past and loved them.

Back in Sept we test drove back to back a 2015 MDX and the RX F-Sport. The RX is so much more refined it was a no brainer.. Not knocking the MDX, just my opinion.. Sorry for drifting off topic.

OP If I was leasing, I may give the S60R a shot... Good Luck with your decision..

Last edited by JT4; 07-18-2015 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 151 Posts
I have a v6 TLX and a buddy of mine has a 2013 GS 350. The GS350 is a great car, I highly recommend it if you are not willing to risk it with the ZF 9 speed transmission. If you are buying a used one, get a 2014 or up GS350... in 2014 I believe Lexus updated the GS transmission to an 8 speed which they use in a lot of their other vehicles and is solid :thumbsup:
not in the AWD model....
only the RWD.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Who among us has a crystal ball. Remember, however, that Acura didn't develop the ZF, they sourced it from the Germans and certainly would have tuned it tuned and installed as per their product specs.
IIRC Honda did its own adaption & software development.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:50 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JT4
I agree with the other poster who said "abomination may be a little strong".. But I do agree that the 2016 RX in the photos I've seen is going to take some getting used to, but I'll reserve my final opinion for when I see it in person.

However, with that being said IMO the RX will still outsell the MDX as it always has, the Lexus faithful aren't going to jump ship. I've owned two MDX's (2005 & 2008) in the past and loved them.

Back in Sept we test drove back to back a 2015 MDX and the RX F-Sport. The RX is so much more refined it was a no brainer.. Not knocking the MDX, just my opinion.. Sorry for drifting off topic.

OP If I was leasing, I may give the S60R a shot... Good Luck with your decision..
I agree the Lexus brand is much stronger in both perception and quality right now. Lexus and Acura were close or equals in the 90s. But the ES and RX buyers are typically very conservative. I really think the grill is beak 2.0 and it will hurt Lexus. The current RX Fsport is a nice ride and plenty aggressive looking. I am really surprised they went so extreme across the board. I don't see many IS around me. The last gen were everywhere. We'll see how the TLX does.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JT4

My two cents…as the MDX is a 7 seater, a comparison to the new 2016 RLX is a better one. An RDX nicely equipped Elite with Acura Watch and ELS and lots of goodies is about 13k less than the RX F-Sport. A nice vehicle to be sure, but for 13k more, I would want a lot more…IMHO.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Secondly, I find it amusing that the Acura s compared with a vehicle that costs substantially more than it. In Canada a fully equipped Elite SH-AWD is more than 10k less than the Volvo RD. It should have some better characteristics for that coin! There is no question, IMHO, that the Acura is a better buy, dollar for dollar. But if that is not an issue, then clearly you should go for the car that meets your emotional requirements. The S4 seems like a good choice fbased on your posts. For me, too small, and not the best looking outside or inside, but no doubt a sporty ride. Enjoy.
First time poster long-time lurker here. This, this is the Acura paradox, I don't get. OP comes here and ask, TLX owners admittedly, your opinions regarding the TLX vs. Y. OP decides against the TLX and you deride them because value of TLX can't be beat, etc. If TLX competent enough a "luxury" car to stand on its own merit, as many here claim, why stress the value? Same argument can be made against the TLX, especially with the release of updated '16 Accord, or even Ford Titanium AWD.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NopeNope4425
First time poster long-time lurker here. This, this is the Acura paradox, I don't get. OP comes here and ask, TLX owners admittedly, your opinions regarding the TLX vs. Y. OP decides against the TLX and you deride them because value of TLX can't be beat, etc. If TLX competent enough a "luxury" car to stand on its own merit, as many here claim, why stress the value? Same argument can be made against the TLX, especially with the release of updated '16 Accord, or even Ford Titanium AWD.
I don't deride other posters, other than pointing out any rude comments they make, which is quite rare on this forum. I simply state my opinion, which in a nutshell is that there are kits of excellent luxury vehicles in the market from entry to very high end. I love my TLX, but if 65K wasn't an issue, I might look at a loaded 335, for example. IMHO, the value proposition is usually in play from many buyers. I would add that If you are comparing the TLX to a 60 or 70K car, then the RLX is a better comparison, for example.

Having said all of that, I am a fan of Acura and believe they are back in the game. The TLX is an excellent and sporty mid luxury car that is week equipped ,very refined, and a joy to drive. IMHO it stands up well to the 328, IS/ES, Q50, etc. and does cost significantly less.

FInally, I do agree, in principal, that any luxury car is up for comparison to the high end versions of the more mainstream cars. The 15 Accord and 16 Fusion are excellent cars but are not at the same refinement level as a TLX, and price wise and not the different than the 2.4 TLX. Btw, aS a leaser, I would pay almost the same as for leasing the Fusion, for example, because of lower residual values.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:54 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

I agree the Lexus brand is much stronger in both perception and quality right now. Lexus and Acura were close or equals in the 90s. But the ES and RX buyers are typically very conservative. I really think the grill is beak 2.0 and it will hurt Lexus. The current RX Fsport is a nice ride and plenty aggressive looking. I am really surprised they went so extreme across the board. I don't see many IS around me. The last gen were everywhere. We'll see how the TLX does.
^ If it wasn't for the F-Sport model on the RX I would have never bought it. The regular RX while very nice was just too conservative for me an my wife.. My wife wouldn't even consider the RX until I showed her the F-Sport.

In my area (NYC, LI NY) you can't drive 2 mins without seeing an IS and 90% are F-Sports
Old 07-20-2015, 03:05 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

My two cents…as the MDX is a 7 seater, a comparison to the new 2016 RLX is a better one. An RDX nicely equipped Elite with Acura Watch and ELS and lots of goodies is about 13k less than the RX F-Sport. A nice vehicle to be sure, but for 13k more, I would want a lot more…IMHO.
You make some good points. But for me a 7 seater is no longer a need since two of my kids are in the mid and late teens and one is 22. However, I compared them anyway since we always liked the MDX. We even compared the Lexus GX, granted nowhere near as agile or quick as the MDX, but the level of refinement and comfort was incredible, but my wife didn't like the way the cargo door opened on the GX.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and while RDX is a nice vehicle IMO it doesn't compare to the refinement level of the RX..

Last edited by JT4; 07-20-2015 at 03:09 PM.