Avoid problems when buying a TLX

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 01:39 PM
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts
Avoid problems when buying a TLX

Short & Sweet – When interested in buying any vehicle, I would suggest test driving the car you like for an entire day (or at least an extended time), combine Freeways and City and turn off the radio. In case another person is with you in the car avoid conversations, concentrate fully on your driving experience.

Don’t buy any car driving 25 minutes around the block with a sales person and dish out you’re hard earned cash. It’s your money and if you’re serious the dealership will understand that you want to drive the vehicle for a more extended time; even more so when known that some have problems beyond resolve.

This is not bullet proof, nevertheless this might give you a better idea before you dish out $$$.

Last edited by mylove4cars; 12-28-2014 at 01:47 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by mylove4cars:
jeremyw (12-28-2014), niray9 (12-28-2014), Tonyware (01-10-2015)
Old 12-28-2014, 02:39 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by mylove4cars
Avoid problems when buying a – TLX
by not buying one
Old 12-28-2014, 02:46 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Short & Sweet – When interested in buying any vehicle, I would suggest test driving the car you like for an entire day (or at least an extended time), combine Freeways and City and turn off the radio. In case another person is with you in the car avoid conversations, concentrate fully on your driving experience.

Don’t buy any car driving 25 minutes around the block with a sales person and dish out you’re hard earned cash. It’s your money and if you’re serious the dealership will understand that you want to drive the vehicle for a more extended time; even more so when known that some have problems beyond resolve.

This is not bullet proof, nevertheless this might give you a better idea before you dish out $$$.

I wish I could get a 25min test drive! Usually it is more like 5-10min, or 2-3 miles.

What you are suggesting, would probably mean renting the car for a day. I know of no dealers that would allow a full day test drive.
The following 2 users liked this post by clocks:
Acura-OC (12-29-2014), cokorote (01-10-2015)
Old 12-28-2014, 02:51 PM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
If one lives in a large metropolitan area, go to 3 dealers at a minimum for test drives. That alone should give one a total of 45 minute test drive.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:57 PM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
Originally Posted by AZuser
by not buying one
You read my mind.

Unless you enjoy your car being at dealer and worked on by teenagers, don't buy a car in its first year of production.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:57 PM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts

I must be crazy... I ordered my TLX in august with no test drive, since the i4 wasn't representative in any way of the car I intended to buy and the way I intended to equip it. I have had none of the problems others have reported and I am thrilled with the car, it is a huge upgrade from the 3G TL Type S I had previously.
The following 4 users liked this post by 9SpeedTran:
a35tl (12-28-2014), jim256 (12-29-2014), PreludeVTEC01 (12-31-2014), tlxsteve (12-28-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 03:12 PM
Racer

No negativity intended to the TLX or any brand! Like I said most dealerships let you drive for an extended period of time if you're serious about buying.

Try to purchase the one you are driving if you are convinced your happy with the cars behavior, renting one doesn't mean anything.

Last edited by mylove4cars; 12-28-2014 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:28 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
I thought about taking a TLX for a test drive, but in the mind of the dealer, a test drive = you're buying the car. If not, they want all of your contact information, then won't leave you alone. As far as renting, this is actually a good idea, but TLXs aren't fleet vehicles, so I would think it pretty difficult to rent one. If it was something like a Fusion or Sonata, no problem as these wind up in rental fleets.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:57 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by erdoc48
I thought about taking a TLX for a test drive, but in the mind of the dealer, a test drive = you're buying the car. If not, they want all of your contact information, then won't leave you alone. As far as renting, this is actually a good idea, but TLXs aren't fleet vehicles, so I would think it pretty difficult to rent one. If it was something like a Fusion or Sonata, no problem as these wind up in rental fleets.
A rental is not the car you are going to end up with, meaningless in the objective of test driving the vehicle you want.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:17 PM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Be very upfront with your salesperson at the first encounter before the test drive: Say that you need a 30 minutes test drive on different types of driving. Of course the salesperson will say YES. Go in the early morning for the test drive when the demo car is cold as problems are likely to surface when the car is cold. I am regretted that I did not find out the DCT transmission problems that often happen during the first 5 minutes of driving from a cold start. I test drove the TLX right after another customer drove it.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:53 PM
vbx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Most people still wouldn't notice any issues as they are way to overly excited about the car. Things usually tones down after a couple of days. That's when you start to notice the problems.
The following users liked this post:
vhtran (12-29-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 06:54 PM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by jeremyw
Be very upfront with your salesperson at the first encounter before the test drive: Say that you need a 30 minutes test drive on different types of driving. Of course the salesperson will say YES. Go in the early morning for the test drive when the demo car is cold as problems are likely to surface when the car is cold. I am regretted that I did not find out the DCT transmission problems that often happen during the first 5 minutes of driving from a cold start. I test drove the TLX right after another customer drove it.
Not sure you would have noticed anything. I've taken three test drives and on two of them I was the first driver of the day. The DCT was as smooth as can be all three times. You say these DCT problems happen often,but they don't appear to be that widespread, and none of the reviewers appear to mention it (that I remember).

Jeremy, I read all your posts with great interest since I'm getting the I4, and if it's as bad as you say (and I have no reason to doubt you), perhaps you just plain got a lemon. I would work with Acura until it's resolved or they replace the transmission (or car).

In any case, best of luck in getting it resolved.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 9SpeedTran
I must be crazy... I ordered my TLX in august with no test drive, since the i4 wasn't representative in any way of the car I intended to buy and the way I intended to equip it. I have had none of the problems others have reported and I am thrilled with the car, it is a huge upgrade from the 3G TL Type S I had previously.
Congratulations, I'm happy with my Acura's as well, very happy, no problems at all.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:38 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
In the 55 cars I have had, within 5 minutes I know if it is or not. It is like trying on shoes, it either fits, bends, stance and tracks like you want or not. Some issues are not problems but inherent in the design. If you do not understand a 4 cycle engine, you won't understand balance and the difference between 3,4,6,8,10,12 or 16 cyl besides the number of cylinders. You have to understand "V" angle and why each is chosen 60,90,180 and angles in between. Cyl deactivation presents other issues too such as exhaust design. You must weigh your decision upon better fuel economy and path taken - cyl deactivation like GM/Chrysler or smaller turbo engines which Ford relies upon. As someone who has been with Acura since '99, it is hilarious to read some of the comments and remarks about problems which are way off base. Recently I read about suspension klunk in 4G cars which actually has nothing to do with suspension but body rigidity point where 3 seems come together from a rear jack support area. I rather have the jack reinforced point than not and put up with a pop here and there. On my Dodge Charger Police, the jack point seems would just collapse. Bend them back and it becomes even less rigid. Sold the car because of that.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by brian6speed
You read my mind.

Unless you enjoy your car being at dealer and worked on by teenagers, don't buy a car in its first year of production.
If no one would buy a car in it's first year of production, we would not drive cars at all.

Last edited by mylove4cars; 12-28-2014 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:32 PM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
Actually I liked the fact that my dealer rent me a TLX for 24h. I believe this is the best way to decide if you like the car or not.
Regardless my conclusions of my test drive (I wrote about that on another thread) , I think this initiative of my dealer is very good.
When I'll buy next car I'll ask for same thing if they want to have my business.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:07 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
My TL, CVT Accord, and now TLX were all first year remakes. Zero significant issues so far. Guess I'm lucky.
The following 2 users liked this post by clocks:
jim256 (12-29-2014), PreludeVTEC01 (12-31-2014)
Old 12-29-2014, 05:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
You read my mind.

So, teenagers don't work on subsequent models, only the first year ones? I need to talk to my service manager about that!

It's good to know only first year models have issues, thanks for the warning
The following 2 users liked this post by Stew4HD:
mylove4cars (12-29-2014), PreludeVTEC01 (12-31-2014)
Old 12-29-2014, 10:58 AM
C8N
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by erdoc48
I would just call your dealer and schedule a service appointment for an oil change or something for your current car and ask for a TLX loaner. If the service department will not accommodate, talk to a sales person. Tell them you are interested in a TLX and ask them to get involved in getting you a TLX loaner while your current car gets serviced.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:24 PM
Racer

Trying a car by renting or driving one as a loaner, I assume is to see if you like the way the vehicle drives.

My thread is about buying a particular vehicle which you have chosen on the lot, drive it for as long as you can, you can mention to the salesman you need more time to decide if you can not drive it for a more extended time. When they see you will walk out on them, believe me they become more flexible.

In case they want to go to the whole sales pitch, tell them you will pay cash, so there is no need for the whole spiel. In case you like the vehicle and like to buy it with a loan, you can always do so. The objective is to try to spot a mechanical or electronic problem, driving of the lot with the car you want.

The more time the salesman or dealership spent with you the more cooperative they become; time is money. So make it day and try to minimize the odds. Again there is not such a thing as bullet proof.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:44 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been in the market to purchase a new car for months now, and when I finally narrowed my choices to either the Hyundai Genesis or the Volvo S60 T6 (I know, they are two different types of vehicles altogether), I arranged with each dealership to conduct an extended test drive. Both Hyundai and Volvo were very accommodating. Both asked how long I would need and I stated about 2-4 hrs, so each provided a full tank of gas. When I test drove a VW GTI last year, the sales representative even handed $10 to fill-up if needed since the tank was only 1/4 full.

I think any dealership worth their salt would be more than accommodating in providing an extended test drive.

By the way, after the extended test drive of both cars, I felt the Genesis was a bit too big and the S60 felt too small. I did not have these impressions during my initial test drives when the sales representative sat beside me. Hence, I am not considering the TLX. Although, I will wait several more months or even until the next model year to allow Acura to work out some of the bugs.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:28 PM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by joflewbyu2
In the 55 cars I have had, within 5 minutes I know if it is or not. It is like trying on shoes, it either fits, bends, stance and tracks like you want or not. Some issues are not problems but inherent in the design. If you do not understand a 4 cycle engine, you won't understand balance and the difference between 3,4,6,8,10,12 or 16 cyl besides the number of cylinders. You have to understand "V" angle and why each is chosen 60,90,180 and angles in between. Cyl deactivation presents other issues too such as exhaust design. You must weigh your decision upon better fuel economy and path taken - cyl deactivation like GM/Chrysler or smaller turbo engines which Ford relies upon. As someone who has been with Acura since '99, it is hilarious to read some of the comments and remarks about problems which are way off base. Recently I read about suspension klunk in 4G cars which actually has nothing to do with suspension but body rigidity point where 3 seems come together from a rear jack support area. I rather have the jack reinforced point than not and put up with a pop here and there. On my Dodge Charger Police, the jack point seems would just collapse. Bend them back and it becomes even less rigid. Sold the car because of that.
55 cars in less than 30 years of ownership? Why test drive at all?
Old 12-29-2014, 11:57 PM
vbx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura-OC
55 cars in less than 30 years of ownership? Why test drive at all?
He owned 55 cars. Most people keep their car for 5 years. Dude is at least 300 years old!
Old 12-30-2014, 12:21 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
If you are actually interested in buying a new car, most dealers will allow a 24hr test drive. If they demand some sort of contract signatures or deposits, just tell them you'll take your business else where. It costs them nothing to loan out a demo car for a day, yet has an opportunity to make them money.

Of course, most dealers won't offer this service, just because you're looking. If you don't ask, you won't get. Make them think you're sincerely interested. If they perceive you as just being a tire kicker, wanting to get a new car for a day, they'll likely shoot you down also.

Finally, if the sales-goomba says no, ask to talk to the assistant sales manager, or sales manager. The sales guys have rules to play by. The managers can make or break them.
The following users liked this post:
crownr0yal (12-30-2014)
Old 12-30-2014, 12:54 PM
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by vbx
He owned 55 cars. Most people keep their car for 5 years. Dude is at least 300 years old!

Had it occurred to you that some of us own several cars at a time and have cars at two or more homes? 55 isn't hard to believe at all.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Originally Posted by JonfromCB
Had it occurred to you that some of us own several cars at a time and have cars at two or more homes? 55 isn't hard to believe at all.
I believe what he was saying was little more than a joke.

reading comprehension > you.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:35 PM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by wlkeel
Not sure you would have noticed anything. I've taken three test drives and on two of them I was the first driver of the day. The DCT was as smooth as can be all three times. You say these DCT problems happen often,but they don't appear to be that widespread, and none of the reviewers appear to mention it (that I remember).

Jeremy, I read all your posts with great interest since I'm getting the I4, and if it's as bad as you say (and I have no reason to doubt you), perhaps you just plain got a lemon. I would work with Acura until it's resolved or they replace the transmission (or car).

In any case, best of luck in getting it resolved.
Not sure I got a lemon or not. I am happy with the car otherwise if not the DCT transmission. The car is very efficient with all the features I need and a very quiet cabin. Here is my suggestion if you are interested in buying a I4 TLX. Test drive the "actual" car you are going to buy (not the demo car for text drive). Most salespeople would be very happy for you to text drive any cars as long as you are serious. Test drive it twice on two different days. Do not be an impulse buyer. TLX is no longer a hot potato and I just do not think it will be sold to a different buyer on the same day if you do not buy it. Do not believe for a second what the salespeople are going to tell you. If you like to lower the risk that the same car is sold to a different customer, come back to the dealer on the following day. You need to test drive the car from a cold start. 1) Drive it to about 20 mph and gradually brake to a complete stop. Repeat this twice. 2) Gradually brake to a complete stop, but right before the complete stop, accelerate again. This is to resemble an environmental/California stop or going over a speed bump. My personal experience, along with what I read from other threads, indicate the above two would most likely trigger the DCT symptoms. I feel that it is a software or control unit issue rather than mechanical problems of the transmission itself.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:02 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
No joke. In the car business. Have had 4 cars a year several times. Have had 4 cars at a time several times. Am married 15 years so a minimum of 2 cars since then. Sold several vehicles for profit as a few thousand in profit is hard to turn down as cars come and go. Favorites so far; S class MB, Suby STI, Saab 9-5 Aero, Honda Preludes, Acura TSX, Pontiac GTP. Least liked; Mustang GTs, Pontiac GTO 6.0, McLaren Grand Prix, Subaru SVX, Charger Police Hemi.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts
I don't like it when salesmen waste my time, and similarly, I don't want to waste their time pretending I am super serious about a car. Instead of trying to wrangle out a 1 day test drive, I use the 10 minute test drive to eliminate cars I don't like.

For example, the Subaru Outback was too floaty boaty for me and it took me less than 5 minutes to realize that. In contrast, the TSX Wagon I test drove twice, about a week apart. Since I came in for a 2nd test drive, the salesman knew I was serious and was accommodating.

I had to do 2 test drives because I was looking for the "numb on center electric steering feel" all the "professional reviewers" griped about. It wasn't there, at least not on the later 2012 model.

Then i use forums like this one for the deep issues and owner experiences. Thanks Acurazine!
Old 01-10-2015, 04:43 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
Its not unusual for salespeople to take a demo car home for the weekend. So, they might as well give it to you for the weekend. Local guys here have the standard loaner contracts for you to sign in the event they think you are serious about a TLX. Only potential issue is the insurance deductible is $2500 (CDN) !! LOL. So read the fine print and be careful.

I agree with mylove4cars. You need to drive the car. Not just around the block but doing the things you do every day. Now, coming from a 4G you'll notice the seats aren't as "sporty" and the plastics quality all over may tick you off. Also, the "Feel" of the throttle may be a bit numb. Sound quality may be a bit stragne too, compare to the 4G, due to the noise control that kills low frequencies. So... yeah, take it for a test drive without the sales guy and you will notice. Add the sales next to you and you'll never notice any of that