Any reliable info on 2016 TLX changes, new models, and ETA?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 03:45 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
The LKAS can be tricky since it uses the painted lines as it's guide. I use the system a lot now and have to be alert when the lane splits (forks) as the car can't decide which line to follow. Overall, I like that and the ACC.
Other systems generally do it the same way. Mercedes has a leg up because they have a system that will keep you centered under 45mph and can do so not just based on lane markings but actually based on a vehicle ahead of you. Of course, their system has its own flaws/issues, but it does seem to be ahead technologically of Acura. BMW and Audi/VW have systems that can work under 45 and beat Acura, but they are not available in North American cars, only in Europe.

There are many, many other systems. Infiniti has one that arguably beats Acura, except, crucially, you do not feel the feedback in the wheel (it's drive-by-wire, not power steering).

Having researched and tried out various systems, I think Acura is hands down the best after Mercedes. A few tech reviewers have noted this as well, but it is not well advertised.

Have you ever tried to attach something to the wheel to see if it will act as if your hand is on the wheel and drive itself for an extended period?
Old 09-17-2015, 04:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by iesu3423
Other systems generally do it the same way. Mercedes has a leg up because they have a system that will keep you centered under 45mph and can do so not just based on lane markings but actually based on a vehicle ahead of you. Of course, their system has its own flaws/issues, but it does seem to be ahead technologically of Acura. BMW and Audi/VW have systems that can work under 45 and beat Acura, but they are not available in North American cars, only in Europe.

There are many, many other systems. Infiniti has one that arguably beats Acura, except, crucially, you do not feel the feedback in the wheel (it's drive-by-wire, not power steering).

Having researched and tried out various systems, I think Acura is hands down the best after Mercedes. A few tech reviewers have noted this as well, but it is not well advertised.

Have you ever tried to attach something to the wheel to see if it will act as if your hand is on the wheel and drive itself for an extended period?
I haven't but think that would be interesting if we can do that
Old 09-17-2015, 05:12 PM
Randy is the Future

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

I drove for about 3 miles without touching the steering wheel. What I notice it will do is after the 10 seconds or so that it does not feel your hand on the steering wheel it says steering required then it won't steer for you until it starts to actually drift outside the lane then it will shake the steering wheel go back to the middle lane then usually mark the lanes again and hold it for about another 10 seconds. Now the obvious is that if someone is behind you or cars are around it will look like you are drunk and you run the risk of getting pulled over but for the most part the system will control it for longer than the 10 seconds if it needs to.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:16 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by nore03
I drove for about 3 miles without touching the steering wheel. What I notice it will do is after the 10 seconds or so that it does not feel your hand on the steering wheel it says steering required then it won't steer for you until it starts to actually drift outside the lane then it will shake the steering wheel go back to the middle lane then usually mark the lanes again and hold it for about another 10 seconds. Now the obvious is that if someone is behind you or cars are around it will look like you are drunk and you run the risk of getting pulled over but for the most part the system will control it for longer than the 10 seconds if it needs to.
you haven't tried attaching a coke can to the wheel to mimic your hand being there?
Old 09-18-2015, 02:15 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This may be a stupid question but I'm curious so I'll ask.

If Acura has so many 2015 TLX sitting on the lots, and the 2016 TLX comes out relatively unchanged from the 2015 model, who's to say they (Acura) can't change the vin numbers on the 2015 TLX and make them 2016 Models?

How would a consumer actually know?
Old 09-18-2015, 02:41 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by nore03
I have to be honest, when it comes to the car play options I was all excited and hoping they put it in Acura but after playing with it I just don't feel it is really worth it. I get the idea of what it could be but it just seems so cheap and to me it doesn't seem to fit with a luxury brand car. Whether it is entry level luxury like Acura or a fully decked out BMW. I think the smart phone integration is a good concept to have but the carplay tech to me takes away from the luxury side of the car. I played with it in the new Accord and I wasn't really impressed. When I got back in my TLX, I didn't feel like I was missing anything. My feeling is more like meh, I wouldn't pay extra for it. If I had to choose it over my current option I don't think I would take it.
Originally Posted by cammy5
My view (obviously):

Car Play is a much cooler useful feature in a more basic car than a premium/luxury car. If I were in the market for a Civic LX or Cruze LT or what not I'd be very excited about it as I could keep the cost of the car relatively low and add cool features like navigation and iPod control without having to add extra cost to an economy car by opting for the more expensive navigation/media package.

While I know that you can certainly buy a base model TLX without it, I'd dare say most of us have at least the Tech Package which gives you navigation and iPod integration. Again, just my view, but can't fathom why people buy cars like BMWs (5 and 7 series) without inbuilt navigation/optional nicer stereo option. While most of us are pretty tech savvy (we're on computers talking about cars and what not), typically (and statistically speaking) the more expensive the car the older the buyer (to a point) and the less concerned they are than a fresh college graduate buying their first new car. Yes, I realize there are many exceptions to this but even as a tech savvy 36 year old male, I'm less concerned about Car Play than some of my 10-15 year younger friends who are starting their first 'big kid' jobs and buying possibly their first new cars such as Civics and Accords.

I do think as time goes on we'll see more adoption of Car Play and full smart phone integration throughout car lines and yes that includes all Acuras. The proof I think that I wouldn't hold off on not buying a TLX now bc you hope it will have Car Play is that the 2016 RLX Sport Hybrid flag ship is available for order/purchase and doesn't include it.
I much prefer the built-in integration of a car navigation system over something like car play.. BUT... I much prefer the usability of Google Maps on my iPhone over the painful user interface of the Acura system. If the Acura system could respond to me like the iPhone there would be no (or much less) desire for Car Play.

But let's face it, the iPhone/Google Maps has an installed user base measured in the hundreds of millions with a large developer base constantly improving both products. That is why it is so much more useful than Honda's system that has a fairly small installed base with a stagnant hardware platform. Cars that support Car Play/Android Auto not only benefit from this much larger installed base, but they are much more future proof than a built in system. People keep their cars for many years; they tend to roll over their phone 2 years at the most. So you can enjoy new features integrated in your car even as your car gets older and older.

When I travel I use the iPhone/Google Maps/Siri to get around and it is fantastic. Much much better than my car's system.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:44 AM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by Sigwill24
This may be a stupid question but I'm curious so I'll ask.

If Acura has so many 2015 TLX sitting on the lots, and the 2016 TLX comes out relatively unchanged from the 2015 model, who's to say they (Acura) can't change the vin numbers on the 2015 TLX and make them 2016 Models?

How would a consumer actually know?
Besides whatever government regulations they would probably be violating, the VIN is in many places in the car and designed to be hard to change so thieves can't do exactly what you are asking. So what advantage would this provide? If they did they would go from a glut of 2015's to a glut of 2016's and have the same market value due to the same supply/demand.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:20 AM
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man

When I travel I use the iPhone/Google Maps/Siri to get around and it is fantastic. Much much better than my car's system.
I only use the nav when I don't have access to cell service. Other than that, it's just too cumbersome.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:26 AM
Randy is the Future

Originally Posted by crownr0yal
I only use the nav when I don't have access to cell service. Other than that, it's just too cumbersome.
I use both my in car navi and the waze app. I like the waze app because of the notifications about cars on the road and cops but I prefer using my in car navi to get around. My only wish was that it had a easier way to search for where I want to go. I used the feature to send destinations to the car from the acuralink app all the time(love that feature) but I haven't brought myself to spend the 200-300 for the package after it expired.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:02 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
This may be a bit off topic, but wanted to share that I saw the new 2016 Honda Accord today at my local dealer. It iwas the top trim Touring model and from a tech standpoint, very impressive. It has the new Apple/Android in car radio system which is quite impressive. It also has the "AcuraWatch" system (which can be had on lower trim levels for $1,000), LED Head and Fog lights, LED DRL's, front turn signals and rear taillights, heated rear passenger seats, right side blindspot camera, rear camera, etc, etc, etc. Everything the TLX has and then some (even has twin exhaust pipes).

However, the interior quality is certainly not up to the TLX standard and there is no SH-AWD option. IMO, It would be a legitimate contender for anyone considering a TLX (sans SH-AWD). The successive TLX iterations really have to up the ante.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:05 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Treblig
This may be a bit off topic, but wanted to share that I saw the new 2016 Honda Accord today at my local dealer. It iwas the top trim Touring model and from a tech standpoint, very impressive. It has the new Apple/Android in car radio system which is quite impressive. It also has the "AcuraWatch" system (which can be had on lower trim levels for $1,000), LED Head and Fog lights, LED DRL's, front turn signals and rear taillights, heated rear passenger seats, right side blindspot camera, rear camera, etc, etc, etc. Everything the TLX has and then some (even has twin exhaust pipes).

However, the interior quality is certainly not up to the TLX standard and there is no SH-AWD option. IMO, It would be a legitimate contender for anyone considering a TLX (sans SH-AWD). The successive TLX iterations really have to up the ante.
Also lacks acc with low speed follow, among other things.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:14 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
I much prefer the built-in integration of a car navigation system over something like car play.. BUT... I much prefer the usability of Google Maps on my iPhone over the painful user interface of the Acura system. If the Acura system could respond to me like the iPhone there would be no (or much less) desire for Car Play.

But let's face it, the iPhone/Google Maps has an installed user base measured in the hundreds of millions with a large developer base constantly improving both products. That is why it is so much more useful than Honda's system that has a fairly small installed base with a stagnant hardware platform. Cars that support Car Play/Android Auto not only benefit from this much larger installed base, but they are much more future proof than a built in system. People keep their cars for many years; they tend to roll over their phone 2 years at the most. So you can enjoy new features integrated in your car even as your car gets older and older.

Youre right and I think Acura will get it in 2017 when it can be added somehow without losing other functionality. In any case not worth waiting that long... And not worth getting an Accord. And doing it yourself with a mounted tablet is still probably the best especially with customization and apps
Old 09-18-2015, 03:15 PM
Randy is the Future

Originally Posted by Treblig

Also no blind spot monitor, less power, no cooled seats, no GDI V6
Old 09-18-2015, 03:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When is the 2016 due on dealer lots?

Thanks
Old 09-18-2015, 07:19 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Accord has less power, only gear lever 6 speed vs push button 9 speed, smaller brakes, no 490 watt ELS surround 5.1 system, no precision all wheel steering, no super handling all wheel drive, shorter warranty.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:56 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by joflewbyu2
Accord has less power, only gear lever 6 speed vs push button 9 speed, smaller brakes, no 490 watt ELS surround 5.1 system, no precision all wheel steering, no super handling all wheel drive, shorter warranty.
IMO the biggest area the TLX wins if you look at all trim levels compared to any Accord is NVH by far.
The following 2 users liked this post by youngTL:
cammy5 (09-19-2015), wlkeel (09-19-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 08:39 AM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts
The 2016 press release is up. Looks to be no changes as anticipated:

2016 Acura TLX ? Hot-Selling Luxury Sports Sedan Returns with Unique Blend of Athleticism and Premium Luxury Refinement - Honda News

2016 Acura TLX Specifications and Features - Honda News
Old 09-23-2015, 09:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 539 Likes on 343 Posts
I was really hoping to see at least heated rear seats like the Accord now has. The lack of AppleCar and Android Auto is also very disappointing.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Look at the '16 TLX Specifications and Features sheet. I think all they did was change the title from '15 to '16. I say that because if you scroll all the way down to the color choices, which remained the same, they still list a couple of the colors as new. They were new for '15 but certainly not for '16. No changes at all, I'm afraid.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:04 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Curious3GTL
I was really hoping to see at least heated rear seats like the Accord now has. The lack of AppleCar and Android Auto is also very disappointing.
I have read that the new Civic will offer heated rear seats in the higher trim models. The Civic will also offer adjustable lumbar support, which the ILX does not offer.

At least Acura kept the prices unchanged for the 2016 TLX models.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:29 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,392 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by cruiserchuck
I have read that the new Civic will offer heated rear seats in the higher trim models. The Civic will also offer adjustable lumbar support, which the ILX does not offer.

Incorrect. The only price that changed for 2016 was the TLX 2.4L, with the price changing from $31,445 to $31,695 (a $250 increase). The $920 destination charge stayed the same as well.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:46 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by EE4Life
Incorrect. The only price that changed for 2016 was the TLX 2.4L, with the price changing from $31,445 to $31,695 (a $250 increase). The $920 destination charge stayed the same as well.
Thanks for pointing that out. I read the press release too quickly. I saw the part about prices for all five models not being raised, but missed the reference about it only applying to the 9 speed models. I guess the demand for the 9 speed models is lower due to all the reported shifting problems.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:07 PM
Advanced

Thanks for pointing that out. I read the press release too quickly. I saw the part about prices for all five models not being raised, but missed the reference about it only applying to the 9 speed models. I guess the demand for the 9 speed models is lower due to all the reported shifting problems.
HDMI is listed. Is that new?
Old 09-23-2015, 11:41 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
HDMI is listed. Is that new?
Where? I'm not seeing it.

EDIT: Oh, you mean in the press release! The spec page doesn't have it listed. Someone made an oversight somewhere, either on the spec sheet (copied and pasted without checking), or in the press release.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:04 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by youngTL
Where? I'm not seeing it.

EDIT: Oh, you mean in the press release! The spec page doesn't have it listed. Someone made an oversight somewhere, either on the spec sheet (copied and pasted without checking), or in the press release.
It's in the 2015 press release, too: Acura | Press Releases Article | Acura.com.

Has anyone figured out if they can do anything with HDMI?
Old 09-24-2015, 01:09 AM
Advanced

FYI, I went and ran a diff analysis on the 2015 versus the 2016 press releases. Here's what I found (other than irrelevant style changes):

#1. The ELS system is listed at 490 watts in 2016, and it was listed as 455 in 2015.

That's it...

Other sources show that the 2015 TLX actually has 490 watts, so it must have been an error in the original press release.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:54 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
According to the press release, you should be able to build a 2016 TLX on the website today (9/24). I just checked and it still shows 2015. The dealers should also start getting in the 2016 models today.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:31 PM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
Old 09-24-2015, 04:39 PM
Former Audio Mod

Oh well. I was thinking about the 16 TLX and hoped that (against my better judgement) there would be a Type S or similar.

Probably my last post on TLX speculation for a while. Going to buy a very gently used 14 Audi S6 instead.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:21 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 09-26-2015, 06:55 AM
Summer is Coming

And Carplay and Android Auto
Old 09-30-2015, 08:25 AM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
going off the tangent a bit further with the new civic, if the 2016 civic is a new platform can we expect a "redesign" off of the ILX in a year or two since those two have shared it so far? i couldn't help but to think about the Integra when looking at the hard lines of the new civic's interior (and the front exterior). i'm rooting for Acura to return to its coupe days with the new CEO and all... and in retrospect I'm wondering if the changes in the Acura lineup have been put on a mild halt because of him... nonetheless it's a crying shame for folks who hoped for more changes in the 2016 TLX.