Any reliable info on 2016 TLX changes, new models, and ETA?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 02:49 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by btomasie
TTT - checking back in to see if anyone has any updated info on the 2016 changes, additions, options, etc. ?

I am hoping the dealerships start to be more loose-lipped, but also know they are likely protecting all the 2015's sitting on the lots!

Thanks,
Brian
I'm waiting for 2016 model myself. After what I went through with my 2011 X3 which was redesigned that year, I'm not buying first years anymore.

The biggest item I'm expecting for the 2016 is of course the bug fixes in the software. As for the actual hardware, I'm not expecting much. A new color and some minor rearranging of options. The 19" wheels on the Elite/Advance would be nice.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:51 PM
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by ZipSpeed
I'm waiting for 2016 model myself. After what I went through with my 2011 X3 which was redesigned that year, I'm not buying first years anymore.

The biggest item I'm expecting for the 2016 is of course the bug fixes in the software. As for the actual hardware, I'm not expecting much. A new color and some minor rearranging of options. The 19" wheels on the Elite/Advance would be nice.
The factory 18" multi spoke look far better than the 19s. Aftermarket is normally the way to go as you can get wheels that fit much better than OEM, and look better as well.

I just hope they have an A spec package with seats that are more inline with an upscale sport sedan, not a Hyundai Accent. Yes I hate the shallow un-supporive seats Acura now offers, Thigh support dammit, just build the damn seats for someone other than a 4ft midget. The TSX has far better seats as they are firmer and more supportive with decent bolstering.

Last edited by SinCityTLX; 06-14-2015 at 11:55 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:45 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
I agree on the seats. They also made the steering wheel thinner on the TLX. Bring back the heft!
The following users liked this post:
holografique (06-19-2015)
Old 06-15-2015, 08:15 AM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Treblig
I agree on the seats. They also made the steering wheel thinner on the TLX. Bring back the heft!

Ditto !!
Old 06-15-2015, 02:16 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Acura, if you are reading this. PLEASE give me some new color options for the 2016 TLX AND a sport version. I can't handle the wood interior, give me some carbon fiber. Do this and I will give you my money.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:19 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If must have the latest and greatest, wait until Acura releases the 2016's later this fall. Otherwise, you could take advantage of the 2015 TLX's discounts now. There will be little if any changes on the 2016's.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
it will be turbo and type s version nah

what's wrong with you people? stop dreaming a type s because Acura wont listen to what we want and you will see it when it comes out
Old 06-18-2015, 04:19 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by aIRpeACE
it will be turbo and type s version nah

what's wrong with you people? stop dreaming a type s because Acura wont listen to what we want and you will see it when it comes out
Well they make an a spec ilx, why not an TLX
Old 06-18-2015, 04:42 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts
I'm willing to bet there will atleast be some transmission changes. At least change the facade of a slow throttle body response. It feels real to me but the numbers say the difference is not great enough to tell. If not, then they will have to make a type S with a different transmission and leave the non - S type TLX in its original form. I spoke to a sales guy at a dealership and in his personal opinion, he thinks the V6 transmission is horrible. To each its own. Currently, I'm still in a 2013 SH-AWD. When I see the TLX with the lights on, it really stands out. However, when those lights are not on, it does not stand out unless it has the spoiler kit on it. Just my opinion as well.
silverTL6 (06-19-2015)
Old 06-19-2015, 03:35 PM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Some details of the updates on the 2016 Accord have come out from vtec.net:

Temple of VTEC Rumors and News - New Accord Coupe Touring trim added for 2016!

The 2016 Accord EX and above will apparently have, among other things, HD Radio, Homelink, Remote Engine Start, etc. Probably the base TLX will get those items as well?
Old 06-20-2015, 10:02 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
i believe '16 TLX info will be out pretty soon because i'm seeing a lot more TLX TV commercials now than ever. that's Acura's MO trying to get people to buy last of the current year model.
Old 06-21-2015, 07:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by kevTL888
i believe '16 TLX info will be out pretty soon because i'm seeing a lot more TLX TV commercials now than ever. that's Acura's MO trying to get people to buy last of the current year model.
To be fair, All manufacturers do that. They want to sell off current year models to make room for new year model inventory. It's been going on for as long as I remember.
kurtatx (07-19-2015)
Old 06-21-2015, 08:45 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
To be fair, All manufacturers do that. They want to sell off current year models to make room for new year model inventory. It's been going on for as long as I remember.
yep, therefore i can sense '16 release is coming soon
Old 06-21-2015, 10:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
yep, therefore i can sense '16 release is coming soon
Usually August/Sept.. is I recall
Old 07-19-2015, 10:43 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I know it's still a bit early, but has anyone heard anything about any changes (even minor) to the 2016 TLX? I understand that typically, little or no changes are made in the second year of an Acura, but with rumors of the '16 accord getting some additional features like remote start on higher packages, I wonder if Acura will make some minor similar changes. I also like the new grill on the ILX and wonder if they'll change that too. Again, not typical for Acura, but it seems that things have been VERY hush-hush, and that makes me think they may have something up their sleeve.
I have found someone who wants to buy my TSX, and I don't want to buy a '15 if desirable changes are coming to the '16. ANY good info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:04 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Originally Posted by a77
no just V6 FWD production is done. It would make sense, maybe not economically, to replace it with an awd 4 cyl...but better to wait for the turbo version.
I wouldn't be surprised if Acura went with an AWD 4 cylinder down the road. Wasn't it earlier this year Acura said its future was in AWD? Might as well make it really affordable and pair it with the I4. AWD I4 base at a $33,000 price tag would be intriguing for sure.

I'm all for ending the FWD on models more expensive than the ILX. Acura could really stratify their cars doing that.
ILX FWD
$X000
TLX (All SH-AWD)
Old 07-19-2015, 11:06 AM
Azine Jabroni

Stew hit the nail on the head. Acura was advertising the TL right until the TLX release to sell inventory.

It's crazy how many TL's are still available at the local dealership
Old 07-19-2015, 11:12 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I just bought my TLX, and the dealer told me they don't anticipate receiving the 16' models until October.....they are still stocking 15's.

You may want to try negotiating a deal before July 31....you'd qualify for the $1000 TSX/Loyality credit.(you don't even have to trade it in) That's what sealed the deal for me.

Good Luck!
kurtatx (07-19-2015)
Old 07-19-2015, 11:23 AM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Usually August/Sept.. is I recall
I don't think the big A is in any hurry. The replacement updates would probably be minimal.

Maybe a pricing adjustment, but with the way these guys are selling, I wouldn't count on it.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:41 AM
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtatx
I wouldn't be surprised if Acura went with an AWD 4 cylinder down the road. Wasn't it earlier this year Acura said its future was in AWD? Might as well make it really affordable and pair it with the I4. AWD I4 base at a $33,000 price tag would be intriguing for sure.

I'm all for ending the FWD on models more expensive than the ILX. Acura could really stratify their cars doing that.
ILX FWD
$X000
TLX (All SH-AWD)
Yep.

The I4 AWD combo makes a lot of sense but with the IS250 going away it really wouldn't have any competition even though the I4 is a popular model for Acura. I think Acura would be a bit behind the curve with the I4 AWD model and it'd be nice if they jumped ahead to a turbo model.

I think Acura would like the TLX starting price to be $33-35K for the future. I think a killer entry into the Acura sedan lineup (oh - in my alternate reality the next-gen ILX is a 3-door lift back) would be a $34K base 2.0T TLX SHAWD - 220 hp/220 lb-ft with basically the same mpg as the current I4 model would be very nice.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:15 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I would be interested in a TLX hybrid. The accord hybrid powertrain gets a lot of good reviews and would port right over. It would go well with the hidden exhaust because they are green and would probably be more stout than the 2.4 around town when it comes to power.

The accord hybrid looks lame to me with the blue tinted headlights and taillights and hybrid badges all over the place and I would be interested in a TLX version. If Honda can afford these niche vehicles, Acura should be able to and they are green and hiding exhaust.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:24 PM
Racer

All the previously mentioned updates would be welcomed, but does everyone believe that these changes would be mid-model changes and not second year changes???
I'd be shocked if an awd i4 option came in the '16, but that's the kind of thing that would make me want to wait.

BTW, the $1,000 loyalty cash is a big selling point for me too.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:00 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by bsprinker
All the previously mentioned updates would be welcomed, but does everyone believe that these changes would be mid-model changes and not second year changes???
I'd be shocked if an awd i4 option came in the '16, but that's the kind of thing that would make me want to wait.

BTW, the $1,000 loyalty cash is a big selling point for me too.
Why would the $1000 customer loyalty be a big deal??? When you buy a car that is a model year old, you lose far more than that in depreciation. That being penny wise and pound foolish.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
Take this for what it's worth. Been told by some higher ups that exhaust pipes and new colors are coming. The prototype red might be coming.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:44 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
I know it's still a bit early, but has anyone heard anything about any changes (even minor) to the 2016 TLX? I understand that typically, little or no changes are made in the second year of an Acura, but with rumors of the '16 accord getting some additional features like remote start on higher packages, I wonder if Acura will make some minor similar changes. I also like the new grill on the ILX and wonder if they'll change that too. Again, not typical for Acura, but it seems that things have been VERY hush-hush, and that makes me think they may have something up their sleeve.
I have found someone who wants to buy my TSX, and I don't want to buy a '15 if desirable changes are coming to the '16. ANY good info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
The Accord is having an MMC this year. That is why there are that many changes. I doubt there will be much for the TLX other than fixing first year issues. At most maybe some software update to the infotainment system (I'd hope to see Apple Car Play added but have no idea).

My local dealer has about 90 TLX's on the lot. They are everywhere. They started putting 'clearance' stickers on them. Not sure if that is an indication they are trying to move them out for the 2016's or just trying to move them out period. I'm so far into the 1st year of the TLX I might as well wait until the 2016 comes out. Maybe they will have the transmission software finished by then.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:19 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
The Accord is having an MMC this year. That is why there are that many changes. I doubt there will be much for the TLX other than fixing first year issues. At most maybe some software update to the infotainment system (I'd hope to see Apple Car Play added but have no idea).

My local dealer has about 90 TLX's on the lot. They are everywhere. They started putting 'clearance' stickers on them. Not sure if that is an indication they are trying to move them out for the 2016's or just trying to move them out period. I'm so far into the 1st year of the TLX I might as well wait until the 2016 comes out. Maybe they will have the transmission software finished by then.
Local Dealer here in Louisville has 63, TLX, double to triple more any "completing model" and more in line with mainstream offerings. Does anyone know what day supply of inventory Acura has built up? As I understand it, the allocation of V6 FWD for models are causing the inventory swells. They are definitely marked down, not ATS levels, but close.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by Nexx
Take this for what it's worth. Been told by some higher ups that exhaust pipes and new colors are coming. The prototype red might be coming.
I heard something similar from a reliable source...I just hope it will not be until the MMC as it will give me time to ride my IS350 for a while before I trade it in for the TLX

Don't get me wrong...I LOVE LOVE the IS but I am an Acura guy....
Old 07-19-2015, 08:43 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by NopeNope4425
Local Dealer here in Louisville has 63, TLX, double to triple more any "completing model" and more in line with mainstream offerings. Does anyone know what day supply of inventory Acura has built up? As I understand it, the allocation of V6 FWD for models are causing the inventory swells. They are definitely marked down, not ATS levels, but close.
They've been running over 90 days for most of this year. It's tricky because their sales numbers are solid but they do have a LOT of inventory. I think part of it is that I'm guessing Marysville has some excess capacity with Accord sales down so much - even with ILX production I'm guessing they are comfortably producing everything they need. And the ILX isn't selling as well as they'd hoped. So maybe TLX are getting pushed a little bit.

Cars.com lists 14,661 TLX nationwide. That's over 100 days worth. I don't know how Marysville works (I think there are two lines?) but I'm guessing they are going to be busy with the Accord MMC these next few months so I'm guessing '15 TLX production will wrap up very very soon. If the '16 doesn't hit until, say, October, then they have 3 months to sell the '15s down which is plenty of time. I'm betting we'll see the number available get halved before we hear anything about the '16s - if not then Acura will find itself in a Cadillac situation and that isn't good. I'm guessing they are aware of it and they aren't that stupid.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:07 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by iutodd
They've been running over 90 days for most of this year. It's tricky because their sales numbers are solid but they do have a LOT of inventory. I think part of it is that I'm guessing Marysville has some excess capacity with Accord sales down so much - even with ILX production I'm guessing they are comfortably producing everything they need. And the ILX isn't selling as well as they'd hoped. So maybe TLX are getting pushed a little bit.

Cars.com lists 14,661 TLX nationwide. That's over 100 days worth. I don't know how Marysville works (I think there are two lines?) but I'm guessing they are going to be busy with the Accord MMC these next few months so I'm guessing '15 TLX production will wrap up very very soon. If the '16 doesn't hit until, say, October, then they have 3 months to sell the '15s down which is plenty of time. I'm betting we'll see the number available get halved before we hear anything about the '16s - if not then Acura will find itself in a Cadillac situation and that isn't good. I'm guessing they are aware of it and they aren't that stupid.
This.

I dont care how everyone thinks they are selling them when every dealer in the state of CT lists at least 50 in stock.

Down south its even worse, there were dealers listing 400 of them in stock!

The sales numbers are fine, but if you look deeper you have to start to wonder....whats going to happen with all these 2015s?

While Acura doesnt need to make a 2016 next month, surely they would by December (if even that late). There aint no way they are going to clear out all these 2015s in that timeframe, at least not without making some really good (for the customer) deals to dump them. And those deals will water down the sales numbers for sure (who cares how many you sell if you are "losing" money on them because you made so many). I was given a quote of 600 below invoice on an Advance SH-AWD, and that was just asking....I probably could have gotten it even lower. Lower than $42,500 for a loaded TLX? Thats just crazy talk.

Funny thing is, I *still* dont see that many of them on the road in my area. And we even have an Acura dealer in the town I live in.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:36 AM
Racer

Well they've been selling 4,000 a month pretty consistently here so selling through the inventory will take a little over 3 months - so sometime in October.

They also don't want dealers to have little to no inventory so I'm guessing, like I said in my post, that Acura will let dealers get through maybe 1/2-3/4 of what they have before starting to send '16s their way. So...yes there are deals to be had for sure but that's how it goes.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:49 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They will also adjust their production runs of the models that sold the best for 2015.
Not knowing the internal sales numbers, per model, they could make more of those that move fastest off the dealer lots and less of those that don't.
Although my V6 Advance is a great car, it may not be the one in most demand. But I sure hope Acura knows these numbers.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:57 AM
Racer

Im sure Acura knows the numbers, and I agree on the Advance package.....even the dealers with a lot of TLX's dont have that many Advance packaged models. I don't think its because they sell them so quickly, I think its because no one wants an option package that costs so much....even though its probably worth every penny to some (including myself).

Thats another reason I was so surprised at the initial price I was given for an Advance.
I figured if they only had 5 or so of them there isn't much of a rush to dump them vs 20 or 30 Tech/base packaged models.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:02 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Nexx
Do you know which new colors/combos will be available? Any other info you can share??

I really have no major beefs with the TLX...I'd like to have a heated seat button instead of having to go thru the screen and I don't "love" the standard 4cyl wheels, but other than that, I'm pretty content with the TLX as a car. However, I'm coming from a 2008 TSX, so my expectations aren't as high as some others. The $1,000 loyalty on top of the already $2-3k discount from msrp entices me, no matter what others say.

If the only changes are colors and exhaust tips, those aren't deal-breakers for me. I'll probably will just grab a '15 4cyl tech for around $33k.

Last edited by bsprinker; 07-20-2015 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:28 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chris03tl
Im sure Acura knows the numbers, and I agree on the Advance package.....even the dealers with a lot of TLX's dont have that many Advance packaged models. I don't think its because they sell them so quickly, I think its because no one wants an option package that costs so much....even though its probably worth every penny to some (including myself).

Thats another reason I was so surprised at the initial price I was given for an Advance.
I figured if they only had 5 or so of them there isn't much of a rush to dump them vs 20 or 30 Tech/base packaged models.
I image the best selling TLX models are the 2.4L Tech and base cars, and Acura aspires to sell more profitable AWD, V6, and Advanced models. It would appears, the market has spoken, and the $40K Acura sedan is a heavy lift for dealers.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:33 PM
Racer

I image the best selling TLX models are the 2.4L Tech and base cars, and Acura aspires to sell more profitable AWD, V6, and Advanced models. It would appears, the market has spoken, and the $40K Acura sedan is a heavy lift for dealers.
Which is interesting, because that would indicate more of their buyers are TSX-oriented rather than TL-oriented.

Where did the former TL owners/TL lookers-at go? Surely not to the RLX!
Old 07-20-2015, 02:15 PM
Intermediate

Which is interesting, because that would indicate more of their buyers are TSX-oriented rather than TL-oriented.

Just by the look of the forum it would appear the Lexus GS F-Sport or IS F-sport. My question if the, TLX is Acura's true base model, will the ILX be phased out? Are their any indication of Acura's future plans, other than the NSX?
Old 07-20-2015, 02:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts

I think some are waiting to see what happens with the 9 speed transmission. Still an issue for some owners, so I am at least waiting to see what the 2016 TLX can offer for a fix.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Just by the look of the forum it would appear the Lexus GS F-Sport or IS F-sport. My question if the, TLX is Acura's true base model, will the ILX be phased out? Are their any indication of Acura's future plans, other than the NSX?
YEP!
Old 07-20-2015, 10:01 PM
Racer

Looking at the breakdown on cars.com:

14,427 total TLX:

I4 TLX: 5,822
V6 FWD: 5,188
V6 AWD: 3,417

We heard a while back from a dealer that V6 FWD production was done for the year - I can't find the post right now (found it - it's from March). But here is a post I made in May about inventory breakdowns:

https://acurazine.com/forums/fifth-g.../#post15432395

Currently on cars.com it's:

5,418 FWD I4
6,317 FWD V6
3,351 AWD V6

So...if we assume that no new V6 FWDs have come to dealers in the past two months they only sold about 600 FWD V6s a month from mid-May to mid-June. From everything I've seen the AWD is more popular than the FWD V6. Let's assume they are selling 1,000 of those a month. That leaves 2400 I4s every month out of the 4,000 TLX they've been selling.

Any dealers care to comment on the sales mix?

We can also look at inventory a bit differently now - the total TLX nameplate is around 110 days (14000/4000=3.6): If they really are selling 2400-2500 I4's a month they are only at about 70 days inventory of I4s...1000 AWDs a month is around 100 days...600 FWDs a month is a very depressing 258 days inventory.

From everything I've read about car dealerships the ideal turn around time (other than, you know, zero days) is 60-90 days for a model.

So yes they have a lot of inventory but the I4 is almost certainly well under 90 days worth, which is fine - I think they are at least selling 2000 I4 TLX each month (half of the 4,000), which would be 90 days. The AWD is probably hovering right around/just above 90-100 days which isn't terrible. It's the FWD V6 that seems to be the issue no matter how you slice things up.

If this sales rate is even close to true then maybe Acura really will drop the V6 FWD from the lineup this year or next - it doesn't seem to be desirable...which is crazy considering the 3rd gen TL was FWD V6 only and it outsold everything. The market has changed a lot in 10 years. Dropping it from the lineup might actually help the resale value - it will be somewhat rare with only one or two years on the market.

I'll be watching the inventory levels as we go on through August.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:31 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Do you know which new colors/combos will be available? Any other info you can share??

I really have no major beefs with the TLX...I'd like to have a heated seat button instead of having to go thru the screen and I don't "love" the standard 4cyl wheels, but other than that, I'm pretty content with the TLX as a car. However, I'm coming from a 2008 TSX, so my expectations aren't as high as some others. The $1,000 loyalty on top of the already $2-3k discount from msrp entices me, no matter what others say.

If the only changes are colors and exhaust tips, those aren't deal-breakers for me. I'll probably will just grab a '15 4cyl tech for around $33k.
Is this back? I thought Acura did away with this.

Quick Reply: Any reliable info on 2016 TLX changes, new models, and ETA?