5th Generation Acura TL Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 04:07 PM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by quantum7
Not sure if this has been posted already/elsewhere.....

2016 Nissan Maxima vs. 2016 Acura TLX Mashup Review | TFLCar.com: Automotive News, Views and Reviews

I think that the title may give you a hint about the review....didn't know that the 2016 TLX was out yet.

Sorry....just found this posted in the other thread from last night.
That new Nissan grill.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by kongx7
That new Nissan grill.
yeah....pretty brutal!
Old 06-05-2015, 07:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I am not a huge fan of it either but I keep reminding myself that we are all different and get attracted or appealed to different things. For everyone that dislike it, there is one that will like it.

I faced the same thing with my 4G and my current IS....And even Audi, when they began with their massive grill, people were like WTF is that, and now, many are trying to be as bold with their design.

For what its worth before I cancel my membership here.....
Old 06-05-2015, 08:55 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Weather:
Please dont let an asshole, get under your skin. Hope you stick around. I see a white TLX with bodykit in your future. The force is strong on that one...
The following users liked this post:
weather (06-06-2015)
Old 06-05-2015, 11:09 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
mapleloaf...I have posted in the car talk section but since you asked, I figured it would be OK for me to post here and not get in trouble...

Love the IS in white and atomic silver both very nice colors from Lexus.
weather (06-06-2015)
Old 06-06-2015, 10:28 AM
Suzuka Master

open contact....I appreciate your kind words. It is friendly contributors to this forum that keeps me here and the next week should be good so I'll stick for a while longer and see how things turn out. As you know, I don't enjoy confrontations and being provoked and would never do it to any members....I am just here to be helpful and make people laugh from time to time.

Glad to see that you appreciate my contribution to this forum
Old 06-06-2015, 12:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
I am amazed that you have stuck around here after choosing another brand and some of the obnoxious comments directed towards you. I have enjoyed your contributions!
weather (06-06-2015)
Old 06-06-2015, 01:21 PM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
I hear ya, Weather. I've been an auto/motorcycle enthusiast for over 50 years, and in the "old days" we had informed and respectful discussions of our interests. It finally dawned on me that these were face-to-face interactions with folks in car clubs or with friends who shared the same passion.

Then along came the internet forums where, all too often, anonymous, faceless people submit information without even thinking about what they're saying. Many times they give no thought as to whether something may be disrespectful, insulting or needlessly profane. They probably don't even care.

So when I visit these car forums, I try to read only posts by folks LIKE YOU who appear to be informed, respectful and possess a sense of humor.

In any case, if you (and a few others like you) leave, I won't have anything to read. Stick around.
The following 2 users liked this post by wlkeel:
CoquiTSX (06-15-2015), weather (06-06-2015)
Old 06-06-2015, 02:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Gheezzzz....Thanks guys! It is nice to see this level of support and respect for my posts here on Acurazine. I have said several time, this Lexus is a bidge between my TL and my next Acura. We still have our ILX and while I may not have much to add on the TLX front (since I don't own one), I do enjoy the camaraderie that has been developed over the years on being here.

I agree that sometime I post some innuendos and quirky posts but I am delighted to see that MOST of you recognize that I am doing in good fun and to try and lighten the mood. I will be the first to poke fun at myself and certainly don't mind when people give me a hard time....Unfortunately, some members (and very very few I might add) just hide behind the internet like 'wlkeel' stated and will use the keyboard to try and empower themselves.

I normally try and take the highroad and don't engage in back-and-forth bickering but then after a while, you get tired of being bullied online which is why I just couldn't be bothered, especially after living a personal bad moment recently...last thing I want is come here and being attacked for no reason.

That being said, there has been several PM and public support that I have reconsidered and will continue to be here, help out when I can and try my best to make people have fun at my perverted'ness (looking at you Colin! )

Thanks again guys....
Old 06-06-2015, 03:25 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by 07wdptl-s
Love the IS in white and atomic silver both very nice colors from Lexus.
That's a sharp looking car bro, wanna swap?
07wdptl-s (06-06-2015)
Old 06-06-2015, 04:49 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,594 Likes on 958 Posts
weather!!!! you are a great member and since I joined AZ you always make me laugh with your comments.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by open contact
That's a sharp looking car bro, wanna swap?
Hey!! Don't you be going taking my car on trade without consent!!

Tony Pac....I appreciate it my friend.

Sorry to all the Acurazine members for having this thread slightly derailed....It is nice though to see 'a little love' these days as lately, it seems there was a little too many personal conflicts.

For the record, I am glad to see my humor doesn't offend you guys - I always do it in good fun

Last edited by weather; 06-06-2015 at 06:53 PM.
mapleloaf (06-07-2015)
Old 06-06-2015, 09:26 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
Hey!! Don't you be going taking my car on trade without consent!!

Tony Pac....I appreciate it my friend.

Sorry to all the Acurazine members for having this thread slightly derailed....It is nice though to see 'a little love' these days as lately, it seems there was a little too many personal conflicts.

For the record, I am glad to see my humor doesn't offend you guys - I always do it in good fun
I don't know what it is about Acura, even though I no longer own one. I'm always here reading the forums. I m starting to warm up to the new headlight designs on the new ilx love those led blinkers.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
We have all fallen into negative moments where our criticisms go beyond what the situation calls for. However, I am constantly amazed at how posts on car, sports, and news forms can be so incredibly harsh and and personal at times. Like Weather, I do appreciate that most of the folks on this forum maintain a reasonable perspective, particularly as we are not dealing with critical or earth shattering items.

Humour is an important part of maintaining a good perspective on cars and, indeed, on all things, including one's mental health. So keep the jocularity coming!
Old 06-09-2015, 09:04 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,392 Likes on 644 Posts
benjaminh (06-13-2015)
Old 06-09-2015, 09:11 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
This guys is brilliant...30 seconds in, he mixes up the engine / transmission combos. Since when did the 2.4 come with the "9sp dual clutch" and th 6cy come with the 8 speed.

If you are going to be a professional and review a car, do your homework.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

^ Agree, bad reporting. Also stated that the drivers seat moves back when the car is turned off. This is an option that can be turned off.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:28 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by LAMike240
This guys is brilliant...30 seconds in, he mixes up the engine / transmission combos. Since when did the 2.4 come with the "9sp dual clutch" and th 6cy come with the 8 speed.

If you are going to be a professional and review a car, do your homework.
This guy is getting 8.3-8.7 seconds to 60 for the 2.4 in his other video. Way too slow, I wonder the altitude? I googled the name on the estate thing but couldn't find anything. He was getting 5.6 sec on a C400 so his 2.4 numbers are probably off.

When he gets in the car at 2:40 it rocks like crazy, WTF?
Old 06-13-2015, 07:37 PM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
In case this one hasn't been posted:

Acura TLX: Split-personality sedan is big win for Acura | The Spokesman-Review

"Acura TLX: Split-personality sedan is big win for Acura

....In October, I tested a loaded 3.5L AWD. Acura’s torque-vectoring AWD system lent it a nimble athleticism and promised superior foul-weather performance. Its 290-horsepower six spun out acceptable, if not mind-blowing, acceleration, and delivered 25 mpg combined/21 mpg city/31 mpg highway.

Given its competence, affordability and understated persona, I suggested the TLX 3.5L AWD might be the “ … ideal near-luxury car for the Inland Northwest.”

The 2.4L, which I’ve just driven, is another matter altogether.

At 3,483 pounds, the beginner TLX is lighter by 100 pounds than its six-cylinder, FWD counterpart, and by 265 pounds than a six with AWD. With less bulk — and with the departure of 100 pounds from over the front axle, especially — the 2.4L is more lithe and responsive than the 3.5L trims.

The effect is sharpened by Acura’s Precision All-wheel Steer System (PAW-S), which is standard on four-cylinder trims. PAW-S causes the rear wheels to pivot slightly in the direction of a turn. This counters the tendency of a front-drive car to understeer, a condition in which the front tires lose grip, causing the front end to “plow.”

PAW-S tightens a corner by “steering” the rear end around the arc, like the trailing steering apparatus on a fire truck. Corners can be taken faster and with greater control.

On the winding dirt road outside our house, the effect was striking. The harder I pushed, the more dramatic the response from the rear end. At sane speeds, the action allowed the TLX to track neatly around quick corners even on loose gravel...."
Warrior 6 (09-26-2015)
Old 06-15-2015, 09:12 PM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by wlkeel
I hear ya, Weather. I've been an auto/motorcycle enthusiast for over 50 years, and in the "old days" we had informed and respectful discussions of our interests. It finally dawned on me that these were face-to-face interactions with folks in car clubs or with friends who shared the same passion.

Then along came the internet forums where, all too often, anonymous, faceless people submit information without even thinking about what they're saying. Many times they give no thought as to whether something may be disrespectful, insulting or needlessly profane. They probably don't even care.

So when I visit these car forums, I try to read only posts by folks LIKE YOU who appear to be informed, respectful and possess a sense of humor.

In any case, if you (and a few others like you) leave, I won't have anything to read. Stick around.
+10
The following 2 users liked this post by CoquiTSX:
Stew4HD (06-16-2015), Treblig (06-16-2015)
Old 06-18-2015, 12:33 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Acura advances with TLX: All-new mid-size car offers impressive technology, crisp performance

"You could be forgiven for not knowing where the TLX fits in Acura’s lineup.
It’s slotted between the smaller ILX and bigger RLX, mak¬ing it a replacement for two cars that just went to the automotive afterlife: the TL and TSX that were discontinued after 2014.
All that alphabet soup is enough to make me wish Acura would just name their cars Small, Medium and Large.

This brand-new Medium — sorry, TLX — is a very worthy contender, though, offering the kind of technology and refinement that Acura desperately needs to set itself apart in the tightly competitive luxury segment.

And unlike its comparatively uninspiring ancestors, it doesn’t tempt you to buy its cousin on the Honda lot to save some money. It’s such a big step up that you don’t sense a corporate connection there, making it seem more like a luxury car that’s a bargain rather than a bargain car that’s made to be luxurious.

Most of the difference comes from technology, which is where the TLX shines brightest. It feels like one of the most advanced cars you can buy today, and it is, with goodies like four-wheel steering, torque vectoring all-wheel drive and the ability to automatically steer and brake by itself, almost like a robot. Its digital-heavy dash gives it a Jetsons vibe.

And because of all those interesting tech and engineering bits layered on top of the TLX, it’s almost easy to overlook what it is at its core: a spectacular driver’s car.

The eight-speed, dual-clutch transmission in my 2.4-liter test car was one of the most pleasant surprises I’ve had in a sedan recently, offering the kind of super-fast shifts and instant response that I’d only experienced in more expensive sedans from Germany before now. The TLX even one-ups them by brilliantly making use of a torque converter to deliver off-the-line smoothness that the herky-jerky German systems haven’t perfected quite yet.

The TLX is available with a powerful 3.5-liter V6 and nine-speed automatic transmission, too, along with an all-wheel drive version that uses torque vectoring to improve handling.

It’s also astoundingly quiet over the road. It makes great use of passive sound insulation, such as spraying expanding foam into gaps in panels to seal out the noise. Active systems also use microphones and the car’s stereo system to electronically cancel out unwanted sounds, sort of like those noise-canceling headphones people wear on airplanes.
I wish the body-styling were bolder to match the TLX’s advanced, high-tech personality, though. It’s pleasant enough to look at — and certainly an improvement over the TL and TSX it’s replacing — but it needs more swagger to stand out on the road.

Why buy it?
It’s a high-tech, brilliantly engineered car that sets a new standard for the Acura brand. Its eight-speed dual-clutch transmission has an ingenious design, and four-wheel steering gives it impressive handling.
Two different digital displays in the center stack, one of which is touch sensitive, give the new TLX a high-tech atmosphere."
The following 4 users liked this post by TLXVanquish:
a35tl (06-18-2015), benjaminh (06-18-2015), Stew4HD (06-18-2015), Warrior 6 (09-26-2015)
Old 07-02-2015, 01:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 891 Likes on 304 Posts
Old 07-15-2015, 08:08 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Lightbulb MotorTrend

I’m still in the gee-whiz discovery stage of getting to know my new Acura. I’ve been making adjustments to all the settings: seat memory, radio presets, setting up the navigation system, and most important, setting the map orientation to “Heading Up*”.

The next step is to break out the owner’s manual. It’s become part of my new car ritual. Over the course of a few weeks I’ve fallen into a groove with the vehicle. I know what works for me and what I’m using. After a while in a new car you wish things maybe worked a little differently. I’ve identified a few of these things and consulted the TLX bible to see if the Acura engineers anticipated my wants.

The Problem: The doors do not automatically lock when I walk away with the key fob. I’ve been training myself to keep the key in my pocket rather than pull it out every time I want to open the car. The first part is easy. If you have the key with you, the doors will unlock automatically when you try to open them. But what’s the point if I can’t lock the car without digging the key out? OK. I started with an easy 1. Embarrassingly easy. A quick consultation of the manual tells me that if the car is turned off and the key fob is outside the vehicle, I can press a small button on the door handle that locks the car. Honestly, I had no idea. Talk about hiding in plain sight. Somewhere a car engineer who spent their life perfecting this technology is smiling.

The Problem: The driver-side door mirror points down when in reverse. I get it. It’s meant to help me park within the lines and get close to the curb. But I mostly park on the street, and I’d much rather see the traffic behind me in that mirror than some worthless pavement — besides, I have a backup camera for the lines. The solution is doubly satisfying. Turns out I can designate which door mirror points down when I put the car in reverse. It’s as easy as using the door mirror selector switch, the same switch that toggles between the driver and passenger door mirrors to adjust them. Wherever the slider is, the corresponding mirror will point downward in reverse. So when I’m parking, I can switch it to the passenger mirror, allowing me to see the relevant curb and the oncoming traffic.

The Problem: The dreaded automatic rain-sensing windshield wiper activation. Dreaded? Yes, because if I don’t make sure to deactivate it before I head into the car wash, the wipers go haywire and I nearly have a heart attack trying to turn them off before they get damaged. Moving the wiper lever to the OFF rather than AUTO position takes care of car wash drama. Remembering to do this after it rains is on me, but I’m not a big fan of the automatic wipers anyway. I can tell if it’s raining … mostly.

The Problem: The entertainment center is speaking. I really want it to shut up. The only time I want the system talking to me is when the navigation system is giving directions. Not when I change a radio station or select another audio track. It gets annoying very quickly. To be fair I probably activated this by accident, but I couldn’t figure out how to make it stop without the manual. Well, this bit of over-engineering is called Interface Dial Feedback, and when I realized I could turn it off in the system settings, I did it as quick as I could. I’m embarrassed to say how long I let this go before I looked it up. The lesson here is RTFM. More than likely it holds the knowledge you seek. *A note to the haters about choosing “Heading Up” rather than “North Up” for map orientation. Who are you, Sacagawea? Generally I’m not consulting the sun to get around. “Heading Up” makes it so much easier to read the map and navigate (a right turn is a right turn). “North Up” is for show-offs.

benjaminh (07-23-2015)
Old 07-22-2015, 11:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 891 Likes on 304 Posts
Old 07-22-2015, 08:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

She reminds me of the comedian Lily Tomlin (this is the phone company skit), both in looks and voice. Pity that she did not get the specs correct as the SH-AWD does not also have P-AWS, plus a couple other commentary mistakes.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:16 PM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Apologies if this one has already been posted. Anyway, this Canadian reviewer really likes PAWS on the TLX 2.4. Watch at the 6.5 minute mark:

mapleloaf (08-16-2015)
Old 09-26-2015, 07:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
2015 Acura TLX V-6 SH-AWD Test ? Review ? Car and Driver

yet another.....
Old 09-26-2015, 11:06 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by quantum7
Oh look at that, Car and Driver doesn't like a non German car, color me shocked, shocked I tell you!
Old 09-27-2015, 10:19 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Maltlx
Oh look at that, Car and Driver doesn't like a non German car, color me shocked, shocked I tell you!
No I don't think that's it, I just think its simple as this; the automotive press and consumers don't like being pissed on and told it's just rain. Case in point, "Red Carpet Athlete," "Production to begin in fall of 2015", "Stalking an unsuspecting 3-Series" and in most recently "Clean Diesel". VW is in a shit storm, because they lied. GM, Toyota, and Honda design defects literally resulted in multiple deaths, but I bet these, companies, will be forgiven, by consumers, before VW because they didn't unabashedly lie. I believe that's why there is so much animosity toward Acura, especially the TLX because it was suppose to be legit. Yet all we got was a car designed to barely out ES a 2010 Lexus ES 350, in all aspects.
BEAR-AvHistory (09-27-2015)
Old 09-27-2015, 12:34 PM
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by NopeNope4425
Yet all we got was a car designed to barely out ES a 2010 Lexus ES 350, in all aspects.
It's also comparable to the IS350 or a BMW 328 with all season tires.

Acura should have had a summer tire performance package so they could have used that with the magazines. And certainly they need another engine to compete with the German 3L turbos; but then so does Lexus.
9SpeedTran (09-27-2015)
Old 09-27-2015, 01:16 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by accord1999
It's also comparable to the IS350 or a BMW 328 with all season tires.

Acura should have had a summer tire performance package so they could have used that with the magazines. And certainly they need another engine to compete with the German 3L turbos; but then so does Lexus.
Yes, better tires and marketing; that will fix all of Acura's woes.

Optional summer tires would help, but so would better brakes, design detailing, materials, infotainment options, AT transmission w/ V6, body styles, etc.

Agreed Lexus could use a high power six cylinder options, but they are a least offering V8 and Turbo 4 cylinder options, performance and material on par w/ European competition, and different body styles. Not to mention RWD and other F-performance.

Acura can and must do better than its current line-up, or face irrelevance, w/ the upmarket push of Honda. We were promised more, I am expecting more.
Old 09-27-2015, 05:19 PM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Yes, better tires and marketing; that will fix all of Acura's woes.

Optional summer tires would help, but so would better brakes, design detailing, materials, infotainment options, AT transmission w/ V6, body styles, etc.

Agreed Lexus could use a high power six cylinder options, but they are a least offering V8 and Turbo 4 cylinder options, performance and material on par w/ European competition, and different body styles. Not to mention RWD and other F-performance.

Acura can and must do better than its current line-up, or face irrelevance, w/ the upmarket push of Honda. We were promised more, I am expecting more.
If you want more, you will pay (and pay) for it. For a half second faster off the line? Really?

I expect you do not own one, nor have even test-driven one. I can tell you, with the right tires, the SH-AWD smokes the 2007 TL Type S I had. Put it in Sport+ mode and it screams off the line, and the cornering grip is excellent.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:05 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 9SpeedTran
If you want more, you will pay (and pay) for it. For a half second faster off the line? Really?

I expect you do not own one, nor have even test-driven one. I can tell you, with the right tires, the SH-AWD smokes the 2007 TL Type S I had. Put it in Sport+ mode and it screams off the line, and the cornering grip is excellent.
I don't own one, drove to Detroit for NAIAS to see "prototype" along w/ Audi S3, M3, and IS 350 F-sport, to replace my S-Line A4. Waited for production model. Hugely disappointed with design and test drive performance. Settled w/ a Beluga Brown Audi S3 w/ Super Sport Seats. So its actually 1.4 seconds, and its definitely noticeable. Guess I get what I pay for? There is no car in Acura's current line-up that appeals to me or consumers like myself. I understand this is Acura's niche, but I wanted a luxury performance vehicle, not a better Lexus ES or Buick Lucerne.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:39 AM
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts
I don't own one, drove to Detroit for NAIAS to see "prototype" along w/ Audi S3, M3, and IS 350 F-sport, to replace my S-Line A4. Waited for production model. Hugely disappointed with design and test drive performance. Settled w/ a Beluga Brown Audi S3 w/ Super Sport Seats. So its actually 1.4 seconds, and its definitely noticeable. Guess I get what I pay for? There is no car in Acura's current line-up that appeals to me or consumers like myself. I understand this is Acura's niche, but I wanted a luxury performance vehicle, not a better Lexus ES or Buick Lucerne.
If you thought the TLX was in the same segment as these cars you mentionned, then you are a moron. Don't blame Acura when your expectations were nonsensical.
Stew4HD (09-28-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 12:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by dysonlu
If you thought the TLX was in the same segment as these cars you mentionned, then you are a moron. Don't blame Acura when your expectations were nonsensical.
You might want to cut him some slack since this was the presentation at the show its easy to mistake what the Acura exec (is that the guy who got canned?) is talking about & the current actually delivered TLX.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:19 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dysonlu
Never considered the TLX or any Acura, for that matter, to be in the same performance realm as the S3 or M3, but I at least thought it would be equal to performance, material quality, and design of the Lexus IS 350 or my Audi A4. I thought my expectations were sensical. Guess not?