2015 TLX is official!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 06:30 PM
vbx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by ABDomega
I wonder if the one of the two new"advanced transmissions" will have three pedals...
Doubt it.

IS350, Infiniti Q50 all come with bltch sticks / bltch paddles.

Just like the Q50, there are 2 transmissions. One auto and the other is paddle shifters for the "sports model".
Old 01-15-2014, 06:48 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts
It might be time for a new 5th generation category to be started!
The following 3 users liked this post by Packagingpro:
Acura_Dude (01-15-2014), Devil Dog 21 (01-16-2014), Rocket_man (01-15-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 06:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by nore03
We need a chat room... I have been at work on this website since yesterday refreshing constantly to see everyone's replies....
I have made such a request a few weeks ago...it would be nice to have an interactive chat section for sure!!
Old 01-15-2014, 06:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 07Acuradude
I just jizzed my pants....
This may come in handy then...

The following 2 users liked this post by weather:
Acura_Dude (01-15-2014), Glashub (01-15-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 07:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
I'm not quite sure why some of you are comparing the is250 engine with 2.4L engine when 1., we don't even know the specs of the inline 4 and 2., the is250 has a V6 motor and not 4 banger like some of you are assumming.
The following 3 users liked this post by TeamAcura:
Acura_Dude (01-15-2014), compewterbleu (01-15-2014), FoxTL (01-15-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 07:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Interesting read here about the TLX and the 6 speed manual and a possible turbo and the auto show where the production car will be shown...

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=1176336

Last edited by weather; 01-15-2014 at 07:46 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by weather:
Acura_Dude (01-15-2014), Bruce_Wayne (01-15-2014), FoxTL (01-15-2014), ggesq (01-16-2014), JT4 (01-16-2014), Rocketsfan (01-15-2014), TeamAcura (01-16-2014) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-15-2014, 07:45 PM
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by TeamAcura
I'm not quite sure why some of you are comparing the is250 engine with 2.4L engine when 1., we don't even know the specs of the inline 4 and 2., the is250 has a V6 motor and not 4 banger like some of you are assumming.
200ish hp and around 180ft/lb torque. Plus the TLX will be smaller, so I'd be willing to bet curb weight will be similar as well.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
the is250 2.4 v6 is a joke. the tsx with a 2.4 would run circles around a is250
Old 01-15-2014, 07:54 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Originally Posted by vbx
Doubt it.

IS350, Infiniti Q50 all come with bltch sticks / bltch paddles.

Just like the Q50, there are 2 transmissions. One auto and the other is paddle shifters for the "sports model".
Old 01-15-2014, 08:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict the 2.4L will push ~240 bhp. Call me crazy but I know it's possible.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:17 PM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by 07Acuradude
I just jizzed my pants....
LMAO on that comment!

Nick
Old 01-15-2014, 08:17 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
wrong. go watch the press conference video. the speaker clearly says it's a 8 speed dual clutch with a torque converter designed and developed by Honda

I've watched the video. The 2.4L uses an 8-speed with torque converter. The V6 uses a 9-speed.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Team Acura.... I think that might be too high as it gives little room for the turbo to come in and be significant enough, especially if the V6 will be in the low 300.

I am thinking just a tad less at 230hp and 205 for torque.....the Turbo (stick and maybe a A-spec) could come in at 260-270 and the V6 at 310. That is my guess....
Old 01-15-2014, 08:35 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by photog
Did someone ask to see some quad tips at some point?

What about one with more squared off tips? Wait, there isn't a visible exhaust on this thing is there? Won't it be hidden?

Anyone else wondering about a future Type S model based on the TLX GT's TT V6? Why else would they bring out the race car on stage? Note he also mentioned there would be three TLX "sports car" models. So do we have two of them now, and the high performance option comes later?

If Acura wants to play in the space of true sports sedans, having a 400hp model is strongly suggested.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 766 Likes on 551 Posts
Originally Posted by sockpuppet
Those of us that watched the whole video know that the 8 speed dual clutch is only in the 2.4l 4 cyl. The 6 cyl has 9 speeds.
watching the video wasn't my problem. it was reading. i read that post and saw 8 speed and assumed without actually reading it all.

i am aware the 2.4 is the 8 spd DCT while the 3.5 is 9 spd auto.

so yes your right, the 9 spd auto is probably from ZF and not honda. It took them forever to finally implement a 6 speed auto and now they have a 8spd DCT. it amazes me.
The following users liked this post:
Rocketsfan (01-15-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 08:44 PM
David_Dude

Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
so yes your right, the 9 spd auto is probably from ZF and not honda. It took them forever to finally implement a 6 speed auto and now they have a 8spd DCT. it amazes me.
They were quick to the draw this time on the trannies.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Let's hope they show production car in NT Show in April.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:54 PM
2011 CBP TL Tech

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by NorCalJay
Acura had a chance to really change the shield or mimic the NSX grille, but didn't...ok then.

So I would just paint match the trim, drop it & flush out the wheels like the concept.

Can I see this with the beak, just the beak, silver? And the DRL leds normal?

Thanks bro!
Old 01-15-2014, 09:09 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Glashub
Every time I go back to look at pictures I like it more and more. It's going to look great on the road. I am genuinely excited about this car. The thing about the haters is that they represent a part of America that always says, "No", "I hate it", "It's terrible", BUT these people never offer a valid vision of their own. It's just a tear it down mentality for no reason at all other than maybe a sense of powerlessness.
Come on back, Glashub ... turn the lights on and leave the dark side...
Glashub (01-16-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 09:14 PM
Drifting

Received 672 Likes on 542 Posts
Originally Posted by MtnMan
What about one with more squared off tips? Wait, there isn't a visible exhaust on this thing is there? Won't it be hidden?

Anyone else wondering about a future Type S model based on the TLX GT's TT V6? Why else would they bring out the race car on stage? Note he also mentioned there would be three TLX "sports car" models. So do we have two of them now, and the high performance option comes later?

If Acura wants to play in the space of true sports sedans, having a 400hp model is strongly suggested.

While i am in no hurry to switch from my "ugly 4G" that would get attention in an instant.Until such time i am going to sit back and enjoy watching the evolution and progression of the TLX.
TeamAcura (01-16-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 09:16 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
*blushing* You and Ostrich know me too well.....I guess I have developed a reputation around here
LOL Weather with a reputation!? NAH!!! :-)

Listen, by the end of the year, you may have a white TLX in your garage while I may have a RED one with 3.5 V6 SH-AWD! YIPPIE!!! But yours will be spotlessly clean even during our Canadian winter while mine will just be covered with perma-dirt LOL

BTW, I really don't find this beak offensive at all. I think that Acura has developed quite a "face" for its brand and whether we like it or hate it, it is here to stay. Fortunately, I have grown to like it....

The only thing that I am not sure about is the rear window treatment/design. That kink at the rear window reminds me too much of Lexus. Otherwise, the rear 3/4 view is breathtaking.......
Old 01-15-2014, 09:23 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by boe_d
Thanks - that video shows off some really nice lines I didn't get from any other pictures. Unfortunately it really also shows off that tremendous schnoz on that thing. They offer vehicles with different options for mud guards, door trim etc. I bet they'd sell 5 to 1 if they offered one with a beakless grill - just the acura emblem or no emblem for that matter.
boe_d, you are very welcome. I also think that the video really shows off the lines and the muscular, wide stance created by the wider rear fender very well, too. Some of the photos make it look more bland than I think the real vehicle will look like.

I still think that the rear 3/4 view is the best - that rear design is just such a nice evolution of the 1G TSX! LOVE IT! Remember the rear 3/4 view of the 1G TSX in Milano Red? Yes, I loved that car!!!

I must say that the plenum has really evolved nicely too..... oops! Hey, it is nowhere as big as the gaping mouth of Audi, right!? LOL Joking aside, I do like that Audi design.
compewterbleu (01-15-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 09:29 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Every time I go back to look at pictures I like it more and more. It's going to look great on the road. I am genuinely excited about this car. The thing about the haters is that they represent a part of America that always says, "No", "I hate it", "It's terrible", BUT these people never offer a valid vision of their own. It's just a tear it down mentality for no reason at all other than maybe a sense of powerlessness.
Well put. I liked t when they took the wrapping off, then was more intrigued when I saw it from different angles, got draw in more by the spec/tech talk, and the video just pulled me in completely. Awesome. Looking at some close ups the fit and finish looks great. I worked as a quality control guy before and Acura's lineage of that makes even more appealing.
Glashub (01-16-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 09:39 PM
Drifting

Interesting read here about the TLX and the 6 speed manual and a possible turbo and the auto show where the production car will be shown...

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=1176336
Mid-to-late Summer means July to September probably for a release... that's a damn long wait for me.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:05 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Rocket_man there is so much good about vault like silence I can't begin to tell you. After 3 Acura's in a row I've now gone through a Genesis and now a Lexus IS. The Genesis was rock solid and quiet but didn't ride/handle all the well. The Lexus is completely composed and quiet and rock solid. Each Acura had wind noise and rattles. The Lexus rides like a premium luxury car in normal mode and a hellcat in Sport+. I hope the TLX copies the virtues of a Lexus while keeping the virtues of an Acura.
I'd love 'vault like' which is about opposite of my now ancient TSX. It is less fatiguing, makes conversations easier, hands free sound better, and voice inputs more understandable. I think the new Accord is pretty quiet compared to my TSX, so I believe them when they say this car will vault-like.

It is always a good sign when it grows on you. Means it will have lasting power. Someone on here compared it to a Buick. Really a Buick??? How??? That is just 'criticism for effect' not criticism for a purpose.

Originally Posted by kevTL888
let's speculate on the power of the I4, 200hp, 180lb-ft? that'd be my guess
I'm hoping for 210-215 hp and over 190 lb-ft. So this engine will have VTEC but with an 8 speed transmission when it is ever going to let you get close to the VTEC point? Maybe in sport mode or something? I'm not sure I've ever had my car in VTEC.

Originally Posted by Hugh9269
a Civic Si Engine with a little more hp/torque and a warmed over 3.5 V-6 from the previous generation? not a real step forward.... what happened to the New Earth Dreams Turbo Engines? The transmissions are a step in the right direction, but why two different ones? The lack of a 6MT is very disappointing.... SHAWD on only the V-6 is a shame. Ill make a decision on the styling next week at the auto show, but the color matched grilles look good in the photoshopped versions.
Apparently the turbos need a little more development before they are production ready. I doubt the 2.4 has sufficient power to drive the SHAWD like it needs.

Originally Posted by amill
I am honestly shocked people thought a turbo 4 would make it into this car for launch. They just started testing their turbo 4 setup months ago. The transmissions are a great step forward, although it was needed since acura finally updated their antiquated 5spd for the TL in 2012. I do wish they would have a DCT option for the V6, but maybe for the mmc.

I don't know about you, but I don't think a 200hp(est) 4cyl in a vehicle this size, plus awd would be much fun. Just look at the is250 awd. 0-60 in over 8 seconds.

I'm willing to bet they will change up power plants and transmission options around year 2 or 3. We will also see a "Type S variant", if there will be one by that point in time. I'd love to see a turbo 4 sh-awd option with a dct or manual trans for the "higher performance option".

Honestly, I like the design of the car, just not the transmission options.

IF...and believe me, with Acura this is a HUGE IF. IF, they produce a car very close to the prototype with better power train options as a "performance" variant, I would be all over it.
We had HOPE. But we were naive and some might even say stupid to have so much HOPE. Especially for something that was so immature and unproven. With no track record of performance. Yes in hindsight we were so stupid, dumb, gullible, and now we are stuck with the results for several more years. How are we even going to make it through the next few years until this can be corrected? Hopefully those that backed HOPE have learned a valuable life lesson that HOPE is just not enough. I know I certainly learned from this. We needed truth, test results, otherwise we were just fooling ourselves and believed the lies we told ourselves. Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! Never again!

Well if a V6 with 300ish HP and SHAWD is not enough performance then you may need to look for a true sports sedan like the Panamera or the Maserati.

The Lexus small V6 is a 9 (?) year old design making barely 200hp mated to a 6 speed transmission. It is of similar performance to the existing 2.4L. But the IS250 is expected to get a turbo 4 2.0L either for 2015 or 16. Oh, but I should not HOPE on that!
Old 01-15-2014, 10:12 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm all in on this car! I, like many of you, was worried Honda would drop the ball with this car. But, initial impressions are fantastic! Beautifully proportioned car with an aggressive stance and subtle curves in all the right places. Too many manufacturers try and make a statement by adding lines, scoops, and bulges all over a car. They forget about its proportions and the styling buzz almost always fades with time. Design will always be subjective, but aside from the lack of prominent exhaust outlets... I think they nailed this one!! Loving it!

Then we have the drive train... I think it was Wards Auto who said "Honda builds cars just to have something to put their engines in". (Correct me if I'm wrong!) I have no concerns regarding either motor. And now they come out with an 8spd DCT and 9spd auto? Plus the lighter, more advanced next gen SH-AWD(favorite part of my TL), PLUS PAWS, plus all the tech we know Acura will stuff into this car?! Dude... All engineered by Honda!

We all know Honda engineers some of the best cars on the road, but they always seemed to come with a caveat. Quirky, mostly bland styling... A generation or two behind on a lot of tech other manufacturers pushed out... at times a pretty anemic driving experience. It is obviously still early in the ball game but I don't see any of those downsides represented in this car. Cross your fingers it's a good looking, comfortable interior!

Push all your chips in ladies and gents, I think a safe bet became even safer! And even if don't like it yet and you're hating on this car... you have to admit it could have been a hell of a lot worse!!!

-TC
Old 01-15-2014, 10:13 PM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
Mid-to-late Summer means July to September probably for a release... that's a damn long wait for me.
To make it worse, unless you are an early adopter and paying full MSRP it is not going to be this calendar year. If I buy this car it will be in its first model year and Acura has had a few glitches lately on that. Nothing compared to the Q50, or MKZ, but things that would annoy me. I'd expect those minor things to be worked out in the first year but I honestly can't wait that long.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:20 PM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by tblood
I'm all in on this car! I, like many of you, was worried Honda would drop the ball with this car. But, initial impressions are fantastic! Beautifully proportioned car with an aggressive stance and subtle curves in all the right places. Too many manufacturers try and make a statement by adding lines, scoops, and bulges all over a car. They forget about its proportions and the styling buzz almost always fades with time. Design will always be subjective, but aside from the lack of prominent exhaust outlets... I think they nailed this one!! Loving it!

Then we have the drive train... I think it was Wards Auto who said "Honda builds cars just to have something to put their engines in". (Correct me if I'm wrong!) I have no concerns regarding either motor. And now they come out with an 8spd DCT and 9spd auto? Plus the lighter, more advanced next gen SH-AWD(favorite part of my TL), PLUS PAWS, plus all the tech we know Acura will stuff into this car?! Dude... All engineered by Honda!

We all know Honda engineers some of the best cars on the road, but they always seemed to come with a caveat. Quirky, mostly bland styling... A generation or two behind on a lot of tech other manufacturers pushed out... at times a pretty anemic driving experience. It is obviously still early in the ball game but I don't see any of those downsides represented in this car. Cross your fingers it's a good looking, comfortable interior!

Push all your chips in ladies and gents, I think a safe bet became even safer! And even if don't like it yet and you're hating on this car... you have to admit it could have been a hell of a lot worse!!!

-TC
I agree with your points here. Just a minor nit, the 9sp is a ZF unit and I believe built by ZF (vice licensed by Honda like the Crystler ZF).

Now as far as Honda engineering.. this is the same engineering that stuck me with a defective auto transmission years ago. So the Honda engineered and built 8DCT leaves a little fear in the back of my head that this transmission may not be bullet proof. It will take a long time before this unit proves itself.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:23 PM
Drifting

I also want to say that I am very happy that we have a V6 engine option here with the TLX at this price point (OK we don't have the pricing but I expect that the 3.5 V6 will be probably around the same price point as the current TL Elite/Advance). With BMW and Audi, at this price point, you will be stuck with a 4 cylinder engine with turbo these days. While the BMW 4 cylinder engine is nice and very lively, it is still not as refined as a V6. Then the Audi 4 cylinder with turbo.... let's just say that it is nowhere as nice as the BMW 4 cylinder engine, and I still prefer my TL's 3.7 litre V6 over any of these 4 cylinder things here.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:06 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
I agree with your points here. Just a minor nit, the 9sp is a ZF unit and I believe built by ZF (vice licensed by Honda like the Crystler ZF).

Now as far as Honda engineering.. this is the same engineering that stuck me with a defective auto transmission years ago. So the Honda engineered and built 8DCT leaves a little fear in the back of my head that this transmission may not be bullet proof. It will take a long time before this unit proves itself.
I guess I am a little late to the party. I just read through this thread and saw the ZF mention. Thanks for pointing it out!

I see your point with the recent quality concerns. I had a not-so-pleasant run in with the torque converter in my '09. I have always held their engineers in such high regard that it's hard to consider their products as anything else.

I have always had assumption that Honda lagged behind a generation or two abd allowed other manufacturers to take the hit on quality issues with new tech while they took the time to over engineer it. It was always that way with their ATV's. They may not have been cutting edge but they were bulletproof.

Let's hope that it isn't a bad omen they are keeping up with the rest if the pack this generation.

-TC

Last edited by tblood; 01-15-2014 at 11:10 PM.
Rocket_man (01-16-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 06:56 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
I have made such a request a few weeks ago...it would be nice to have an interactive chat section for sure!!
Part of the provenance of sites like this is the availability of information months and years from now.

Internet Brands created a chat room at Honda-Tech, but it ended up not being all that popular and it didn't last long. I don't even see a setting for it or a way to get into it any longer.

The moderators lose control of "chat" rather quickly, too, and it can become a very unfriendly place when something is that unregulated.

Hell, I get shocked sometimes just visiting Facebook, for goodness sake. I've been frequently embarrassed at being associated with it.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:04 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
I found where they said the TLX was about as long as the 4G TL, but is it wider?

Something that's given me occasional pause (not P-AWS) is the width of my RLX. There are times I am very glad that the mirrors fold in. :-)
Old 01-16-2014, 07:57 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict the 2.4L will push ~240 bhp. Call me crazy but I know it's possible.
I don't think you're crazy I was actually thinking the same HP rating for the 2.4.. And I wouldn't be surprised if the 3.5 is rated at 320-330 HP..

Now it's my turn... Call me crazy...

Last edited by JT4; 01-16-2014 at 08:00 AM.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
I want to make it clear that when I wrote that I like the TLX more and more every time I go look at pictures of it -- I am coming from a place where I really, really liked it at 1st view.

I think this car is going to look stunning on the road. It has so many positives. Most people will have a hard time trying to mouth the words "Acura" and "beautiful" in the same sentence but it'll get easier.

As they used to say in the 3G commercials -- "It looks fast."
The following 2 users liked this post by Glashub:
Acura_Dude (01-16-2014), UNEVAKNO (01-20-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 08:20 AM
David_Dude

Old 01-16-2014, 09:00 AM
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 165 Posts
I'm not sure why the 4 cylinder Turbo has to be delayed. I have an 07 RDX with a 4 cylinder turbo and it works great, not sure why they couldnt just build off of that technology. Its not much slower than my TL-S. Definitely one of the faster SUV's.
Furthermore, I have no issue with the "beak". On the 4G TL it's a "beak", on the 5G it just looks good.
a35tl (01-16-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 10:58 AM
Banned

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Sharp looking car, I hope they don't stray too far from the prototype. I do want to see a nice quad exhaust sticking out back though.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:04 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Forget the turbo 4. I vote for twin-turbo V6 in the Type S model!! 400+ HP!!
The following 2 users liked this post by madrussian190:
a35tl (01-16-2014), Acura_Dude (01-16-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 12:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Its not a bad looking car, nicer than the 4G to my eye. As for all the rest of the wish stuff, why would they out power the RLX or put in more content when no other manufacturer does it that way? For more power & more content you move further up the product line.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:39 PM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
The RLX isn't really targeted to be sporty such as the TLX.

And forget that logic, how about just boosting the RLX numbers up a bit? Put the RLX @ 425/450 and a single turbo v6 TLX @ 375/400.

Like...

Turbo 4 @ 275
NA v6 @ 325
Turbo v6 @ 375

Quick Reply: 2015 TLX is official!