What are the best tires to get for the TL?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2023, 08:01 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What are the best tires to get for the TL?

I have a 2013 Acura TL and am looking for a quiet reliable tire. I have an order for pickup on the RT43’s but am second guessing myself.

Also have a set of Blizzaks I got with 9+/32 on them for $240, so I’m not necessarily scared of ‘used’ tires if the value is right considering we’re all actually driving around on used tires. (Used vs used up). Want All-Seasons for my other set.

The reason I'm having a hard time deciding is because there are so many variables and similar pricing.

Also concerned the RT43 are closeout so if something happens to a tire I’ll have a mismatched set.

Right now as I see it, my ‘out the door price’ options are (plus install):

Used Michelin CrossClimate2 (8/32 of 10/32): $450

General Altimax RT43: $458

General Altimax RT43: $550

Continental DWS06 Plus: $645

Continental Control Contact Tour A/S Plus: $669

Michelin Defender 2: $720

Michelin CrossClimate2: $768

What would you guys recommend?

This is what happened to my old tire:

Last edited by Dreamliner; 08-22-2023 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-22-2023, 09:10 PM
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts
I don't believe that there is a "best." There are, however, aspects you're willing to accept, sacrifice, tolerate, and ignore. I've had superb success with high end used tired, low end brand new tires, and everything in between. Just stick to the general consensus that the usual brands are the ones worthwhile purchasing. It also depends on the budget you're allowing yourself to have, and also the goals you have for the car and the tires.
Old 08-22-2023, 09:17 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,171 Likes on 881 Posts
The best all season tire I've ever driven on is the Michelin Pilot Sport 4AS+

From Costco, they're usually the best priced, and they're often on sale for $150 less than anywhere else. Plus they do nitrogen inflation.

Never had an all season with this much wet grip. They have wet grip like a summer tire does. Dry grip also on par with some summer tires.

There's a break in period of a few hunded miles where they feel weird and squishy...but after that, they're fantastic.

They're not as quiet as like...a touring all season tire. But they're quieter than a Cross Climate.

You already have snow tires. So you're covered there.

Last edited by BROlando; 08-22-2023 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-23-2023, 12:41 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by BROlando
The best all season tire I've ever driven on is the Michelin Pilot Sport 4AS+

From Costco, they're usually the best priced, and they're often on sale for $150 less than anywhere else. Plus they do nitrogen inflation.

Never had an all season with this much wet grip. They have wet grip like a summer tire does. Dry grip also on par with some summer tires.

There's a break in period of a few hunded miles where they feel weird and squishy...but after that, they're fantastic.

They're not as quiet as like...a touring all season tire. But they're quieter than a Cross Climate.

You already have snow tires. So you're covered there.
I actually considered the PSAS4, but after looking at the Spider Charts linked below, the DWS06+ seems to pretty clearly be the better tire:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...t.jsp?ttid=280

That said, I’m not so sure I want a UHP tire. I want a *quiet* tire. Even in that regard the DWS06+ looks to be significantly quieter then a PSAS4.

The compromises CrossClimate2 make (mpg & noise) are to benefit them in the winter…and if I take them off for the winter, I’m not getting the benefit of those compromises…but those used ones are only $450.

Also, nowhere in here have I mentioned or seen rolling resistance mentioned. If the CC2 drops 5% mpg, on our cars that’s like $800+ over 50k miles.

I know some of what I ask for seems at odds with each other. A long lasting tire will be hard, a hard tire will be loud. But I know there more then that since a PSAS4 is sticky…and loud.

I wish I could drive 5 different tires for a week then pick.

If I was driving a Lexus ES, I don’t think I’d be recommended a UHP. The TL is a dolled up Accord, not a Porsche. Soft. Quiet. Good wet traction. I’m fine compromising on snow because I have winters.

If I only had one set of wheels, pretty sure I’d go straight to the CC2’s.

Last edited by Dreamliner; 08-23-2023 at 12:44 AM.
Old 08-24-2023, 02:18 PM
Safety Car

Well, why do this much over thinking over a dolled up accord?

Just pick a decent touring tire that's reviewed as quiet.

No need to languish.
Old 08-24-2023, 04:18 PM
Advanced

Well, why do this much over thinking over a dolled up accord?

Just pick a decent touring tire that's reviewed as quiet.

No need to languish.
It’s a lot harder than you’d think to figure out which tire is the quietest.

If I could, I’d sort all tires by quietness, and pick the one out of the top 5 that had the best wet traction.

Defender2 seems like a contender but has horrible wet traction.

CrossClimate2 has great traction but is noisy (almost all the negative reviews are noise related).

So I’m at a bit of a loss.
Old 08-24-2023, 08:14 PM
Safety Car

Have you looked at the Bridgestone Serenity?
Old 08-24-2023, 08:38 PM
Advanced

Have you looked at the Bridgestone Serenity?
Yes. Renamed QuietTrack and seems like a misfire product. Somehow louder than CrossClimate and pretty bad in rain.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...t.jsp?ttid=283

I wish I could see some cross-category comparisons. DWS vs CC, Defender 2, RT45, etc.

See how the discontinued RT43 is great in wet and seems like a decent performer:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...t.jsp?ttid=251

See how the new RT45 seems worse:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...t.jsp?ttid=307

See how the DWS06+ dominates:
https:/www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/spiderChart.jsp?ttid=280

See how horrible my current LTX tires are in the rain (all Defenders seem to suffer here):
https:/www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/spiderChart.jsp?ttid=300

I have a feeling Grand Touring tires are quieter than UHP All Season tires and these spider charts can’t be used against each other.

I want a touring tire that dominates like the UHP DWS06+ does.

I have a pickup order on the RT43 for a ridiculous $107 per tire, but if I have problem down the line, there will be zero replacements and I’ll have a mismatched set. It’s also T rated but whatever.

Last edited by Dreamliner; 08-24-2023 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-24-2023, 11:41 PM
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 70 Posts
My '19 A4's OEM tires are Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S. The entire car is very quiet so I don't know how much the tires are responsible for. They also have relatively low rolling resistance, much less than the UHP A/S I have on my TL, and a better ride. Downside is they're not UHP performance.

All tires are a compromise. Just decide which 3 or 4 (ranked) qualities are most important to you and find the tires that are rated high in those categories.. My 2 cents.
Old 08-25-2023, 12:58 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dregsfan
My '19 A4's OEM tires are Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S. The entire car is very quiet so I don't know how much the tires are responsible for. They also have relatively low rolling resistance, much less than the UHP A/S I have on my TL, and a better ride. Downside is they're not UHP performance.

All tires are a compromise. Just decide which 3 or 4 (ranked) qualities are most important to you and find the tires that are rated high in those categories.. My 2 cents.
I looked at the P7 and liked what I saw. The charts below look good, but I wish the wet was better, the CrossClimates demolish that:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...t.jsp?ttid=261

Trouble is, I can’t seem to find P7’s in the size I want (225/55R17). They only seem to make them in a very small amount of sizes.

Quiet and Wet handling are my top wants. Life and Value are secondary, but next.

I wonder if a tire like the DWS06+ will be quieter or louder then the touring tires…the Continental TrueContact Tour seems pretty poorly ranked in dry for some reason:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/spiderChart.jsp?ttid=265

Last edited by Dreamliner; 08-25-2023 at 01:02 AM.
Old 08-25-2023, 01:41 AM
Advanced

I kept digging and the Yokohoma Avid Ascend GT looks good:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...t.jsp?ttid=243

The saw this and the Vredestein HiTrac looks like it might be even better:
https:/www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/spiderChart.jsp?ttid=274

Any experience with either of these?
Old 08-25-2023, 11:36 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Dreamliner
I looked at the P7 and liked what I saw. The charts below look good, but I wish the wet was better, the CrossClimates demolish that:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...t.jsp?ttid=261

Trouble is, I can’t seem to find P7’s in the size I want (225/55R17). They only seem to make them in a very small amount of sizes.

Quiet and Wet handling are my top wants. Life and Value are secondary, but next.

I wonder if a tire like the DWS06+ will be quieter or louder then the touring tires…the Continental TrueContact Tour seems pretty poorly ranked in dry for some reason:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...t.jsp?ttid=265
I suspect they would be louder than the average touring tire. As you mentioned upthread, I agree that Tire Racks ratings for ride, quiet, and various other attributes are not comparable across all tire categories, just within each category.
Old 08-26-2023, 08:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Conti Pure Contact here on my 2012 fwd TL. They are pretty quiet with a decent amount of tread left after 50K miles. I believe they are 60K tires. Predictable in all driving conditions and a comfortable ride. I have rotated them every 5k miles and Road Force balanced every 15k. For me, the Road Force balancing is key to a smooth ride at high speeds...definitely makes a big difference.

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Jim2301 (08-31-2023)
Old 08-29-2023, 08:49 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Correction-Conti Pure Contact are 70K mile tires. Explains why they still have a decent amount of tread left pushing 50K miles.

Old 08-30-2023, 07:04 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Best tire?

Is there one best tire for the TL 4G? Doubtful because a FWD vs AWD have different driving dimensions.

I have the Conti DWS-06 on a 2013 TL AWD. They've been a very good tire (4+ years now). Excellent wet/dry/snow capability. Although I do put Blizzaks for the Winter season since we get significant snow & ice conditions during the Winter. However, I have driven the DWS in snow/ice during the late Fall or early Spring - and they performed well. Much better than the previous Michelin AS that were OEM on the car.

The Conti's provide excellent ride and handling. Would I replace them with the same tire? Possibly. Tire technology changes over the intervening time period.

The DWS-06 are quiet, even over bridge expansion joints. They do tend to tramline a bit, but they are a fairly wide tire. They are fairly expensive though - which is a big factor.

Personally, I believe tires are extremely important in that they are the only thing that connects your vehicle to the road surface. I doubt you'd go wrong with a top end tire from most name brands. Look at various reviews on Tire Rack or similar. YouTube reviews can be helpful too, but I doubt they'd be on a TL at this point since they are getting to old cars now.

Good luck with your purchase.

Last edited by TLguy2013; 08-30-2023 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-30-2023, 07:21 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TLguy2013
Is there one best tire for the TL 4G? Doubtful because a FWD vs AWD have different driving dimensions.

I have the Conti DWS-06 on a 2013 TL AWD. They've been a very good tire (4+ years now). Excellent wet/dry/snow capability. Although I do put Blizzaks for the Winter season since we get significant snow & ice conditions during the Winter. However, I have driven the DWS in snow/ice during the late Fall or early Spring - and they performed well. Much better than the previous Michelin AS that were OEM on the car.

The Conti's provide excellent ride and handling. Would I replace them with the same tire? Possibly. Tire technology changes over the intervening time period.

The DWS-06 are quiet, even over bridge expansion joints. They do tend to tramline a bit, but they are a fairly wide tire. They are fairly expensive though - which is a big factor.

Personally, I believe tires are extremely important in that they are the only thing that connects your vehicle to the road surface. I doubt you'd go wrong with a top end tire from most name brands. Look at various reviews on Tire Rack or similar. YouTube reviews can be helpful too, but I doubt they'd be on a TL at this point since they are getting to old cars now.

Good luck with your purchase.
It’s frustrating because TireRack testing will say a tire is excellent in “x” category and yet negative reviews will say the exact opposite. How can both be true?

I wish I could sort all tires by quietness and pick the one with the best wet traction out of the top 5.

CrossClimates rank #1 but I know first hand they are not the quietest tire. I think there’s some heard mentality on that tire right now.

That said, it’s probably the best single solution tire if you see snow. Since I have dedicated winters, I don’t know. I’ve had DWS06+ before, I liked them. It was hoping for some thing quieter.

I’ll be getting 225/55R17 instead of 245/50R17. Same height but the narrower tire means it should be quieter, get better MPG and be cheaper too.

I dunno, maybe I should just get the Altimax and be done with it. I was originally looking at Defenders but I have a feeling they’ll be noisier then I like and crap in the rain.

I thought about Goodyear ComfortDrive but the Goodyear guy told me MaxLife is quieter, so I dunno what to make of that. Also they seem to dry rot quickly.
Old 08-30-2023, 09:07 PM
Advanced

Tires can be a difficult purchase since there are so many dimensions to consider. As I said I feel tires are a critical component of a vehicle. Any given tire will change the driving characteristics of the car. You have to consider so many aspects that are all important.

Personally, I try to narrow the choices to two-three serious choices. Unfortunately you're kind of stuck with what you get, once bought (unless you have a dealer that will offer a few days to test drive a set). About a decade or so ago, I used to like the Toyo brand. A few cars back I bought a new set of Toyos and they were awful. In only took a couple days and I was back at the shop to exchange them. Fortunately I'd bought tires from them for about a decade. They were happy to exchange them. I bought some Bridgestone's which were fine.

The DWS-06 seems to be the correct tire for the TL AWD (for me). I really don't like Michelin but that said have them (X-ice) on an MDX, They are good tires for that application.

I usually have a few vehicles at a time, so several sets of tires at any given time. Two sets for each car - so a lot of tires in my garage...

If you've had the Conti's before and didn't like them, maybe look at Dunlop or Hankook? They all will have a touring tire.
Old 08-30-2023, 10:33 PM
Advanced

If you've had the Conti's before and didn't like them, maybe look at Dunlop or Hankook? They all will have a touring tire.
I didn’t *not* like them, I just never went “oh man these are soooo quiet.” I also think it’s possible a quiet tire that I want isn’t actually realistic. For 225/55R17 size DWS is $150, RT45 is $127 & RT43 is $107, Defender 2 is $180, GY ComfortDrive is $135.

I’ve got a feeling whatever I get I’ll wish I got something else.
Old 08-31-2023, 01:42 PM
Advanced

"I’ve got a feeling whatever I get I’ll wish I got something else." I know that feeling, and understand the apprehension. A set of good tires can be a big investment.

In your discussions I don't really see much about things like treadwear, or improved gas mileage, or handling, etc. From your comments & responses, what I see is 'Quiet' & 'Cost'. Quiet is subjective. How much is 'quiet'? Do you measure D/B when driving? I guess you can, but for how many different road conditions?

If you live in an area where the roads are generally terrible (there are a lot of them around), is it the tires that are the problem?

I also think the aspect ratio will make a difference. A wider tire with less sidewall is probably more noisy than a taller, narrower tire because it has more space between the road and the wheel. I don't know for certain but it's maybe worth looking into.

Softer tire compound & lower tread life vs harder & better tread life? I have a sportscar that I drive only in the summer season. The tires are soft and grippy and wide (305 mm), but the sidewall is very narrow (35). Those tires (Pirelli) are very noisy compared to the Conti's. But they grip the road like glue. Terrible gas mileage too. They are already due for replacement next Spring- at only ~15k miles.

The Conti DWS-06 is a pretty soft tire. If the TL sits for more than a few days, the tires need to get warmed up to get rid of the flat spot that develops. In a few miles the tires are all good again though. Over the years I've had most brands on a car. Most often Michelin, Toyo, Bridgestone, and Conti. Some Pirelli & Hankook. One set of Dunlop (they weren't great).

Depending on the size, you might look at the Goodrich G-Force Comp-2. I've not owned a set but two friends have them on their cars (both BMWs). They say the like them. Maybe the others here can add their thoughts?
The following 2 users liked this post by TLguy2013:
IgotiNTEGRA -TL (09-19-2023), Jim2301 (08-31-2023)
Old 09-10-2023, 06:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 844 Posts
late to the party, but I wanted to add to this thread that I have the BFG Advantage T/A Sport and I'm definitely not impressed.
They are noisy and terrible in extreme wet conditions (like a down pour with standing water) .
Old 09-10-2023, 07:18 PM
Advanced

I ended up getting the Goodyear Assurance ComfortDrive tires (225/55R17). I was specifically looking for a quiet tire that is good in wet and that is precisely what this tire is. The ComfortDrive is weak in winter but I have Blizzaks so that's fine. For my needs it really is the perfect tire. At 50mph, the ComfortDrive tires dropped about 4-5 decibels on average from the Defender LTX tires.

It also helped that I got an absolutely absurdly screaming deal from Discount Tire: ~$1306 to ~$804 for the set of 4 installed with TPMS & warranty certs.

Tire price is currently $194 per tire.

I paid ~$161 per tire.
Price-matched the Discount Tire Direct warranty certificates from ~$32 to ~$24 each.
Price-matched Walmart's Shrader 33560 TPMS sensors from $60 to $25.75 each.
$110 off for the Memorial Day sale.
5% back for the Discount Tire Credit Card.
$100 mail in rebate from Goodyear.

I also had them mount the 11/32 Blizzak tires I had found for $240 on the wheels that came with my car. I had them put the TMPS sensors in there as well. Massive savings going from the absurd price they wanted (at $60 each it would have been $480 for 8 of them) to the $206 I actually paid for TPMS.

Had I walked in not researching at all, I would have paid ~$1600 and I actually spent ~$1043 for everything (4x tires, 4x warranty certs, 8x TPMS, 8x install), plus I still have that $100 mail in rebate coming.

I bought wheels from a ~2010 TL, I was looking 18" wheels from the 13/14 TL but couldn't find them and I think I'd prefer the softer ride from these 17's anyway. I don't like aftermarket wheels so I thought these looked good.

Old 09-12-2023, 01:30 PM
Advanced

Boom. Already got my Goodyear $100 virtual credit card. Only took 6 days. Net $704 installed for these tires with warranty certificates and TPMS is a screaming deal.
Old 09-19-2023, 08:40 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"I’ve got a feeling whatever I get I’ll wish I got something else." I know that feeling, and understand the apprehension. A set of good tires can be a big investment.

In your discussions I don't really see much about things like treadwear, or improved gas mileage, or handling, etc. From your comments & responses, what I see is 'Quiet' & 'Cost'. Quiet is subjective. How much is 'quiet'? Do you measure D/B when driving? I guess you can, but for how many different road conditions?

If you live in an area where the roads are generally terrible (there are a lot of them around), is it the tires that are the problem?

I also think the aspect ratio will make a difference. A wider tire with less sidewall is probably more noisy than a taller, narrower tire because it has more space between the road and the wheel. I don't know for certain but it's maybe worth looking into.

Softer tire compound & lower tread life vs harder & better tread life? I have a sportscar that I drive only in the summer season. The tires are soft and grippy and wide (305 mm), but the sidewall is very narrow (35). Those tires (Pirelli) are very noisy compared to the Conti's. But they grip the road like glue. Terrible gas mileage too. They are already due for replacement next Spring- at only ~15k miles.

The Conti DWS-06 is a pretty soft tire. If the TL sits for more than a few days, the tires need to get warmed up to get rid of the flat spot that develops. In a few miles the tires are all good again though. Over the years I've had most brands on a car. Most often Michelin, Toyo, Bridgestone, and Conti. Some Pirelli & Hankook. One set of Dunlop (they weren't great).

Depending on the size, you might look at the Goodrich G-Force Comp-2. I've not owned a set but two friends have them on their cars (both BMWs). They say the like them. Maybe the others here can add their thoughts?
Exactly like the quite part needs to be put out of your head. It has no bearing on safety and performance. So repeating the same. Thing again and again isn't going to. Get you anywhere. Just go for handling and how it performed overall for your regular usage. The sound is not important.
Old 09-19-2023, 11:40 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by IgotiNTEGRA -TL
Exactly like the quiet part needs to be put out of your head. It has no bearing on safety and performance. So repeating the same. Thing again and again isn't going to. Get you anywhere. Just go for handling and how it performed overall for your regular usage. The sound is not important.
The sound may not be important to you, but it is important. Comfort & performance are a balance. Not everyone wants a ricer with a drone can exhaust out back.

Hondas are not well known for quietness, quite the opposite, so a quiet tire helps to calm things down. The Goodyear ComfortDrive is considerably quieter than the Michelin Defender LTX so I was successful.

I saw a test drive of a Rolls Royce that was so quiet you could hear the side mirrors in the wind. Imagine a car that sounds like you’re parked while at highway speeds. Bliss.
Old 09-19-2023, 12:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Dreamliner
The sound may not be important to you, but it is important. Comfort & performance are a balance. Not everyone wants a ricer with a drone can exhaust out back.

Hondas are not well known for quietness, quite the opposite, so a quiet tire helps to calm things down. The Goodyear ComfortDrive is considerably quieter than the Michelin Defender LTX so I was successful.

I saw a test drive of a Rolls Royce that was so quiet you could hear the side mirrors in the wind. Imagine a car that sounds like you’re parked while at highway speeds. Bliss.
If you want a quiet car, get a B9 (2017+) Audi A4. When C&D did their road test (with the OEM Pirelli Cinturato P7 tires) they reported a 63 db reading at a 70 mph cruise, which they said is just 1 db louder than a RR Phantom. Mine is maybe a little too quiet for a sport sedan, at least for engine and exhaust sound.
Old 09-24-2023, 09:05 PM
Advanced

Quick update for those who care: It was ranging exceptionally hard here today and I can absolutely confirm wet grip is a strong point for the Goodyear ComfortDrive. The previous 4/32 Michelin Defender LTX tires would slide all over in the rain, badly. The ComfortDrive had excellent grip and when I went through a deep puddle because of a clogged drain there was zero hydroplaning. Very happy with these.