Other than looks.....what?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 05:41 AM
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Other than looks.....what?

are the other benifit's to lowering your car ?... how low should you go?.....and what are the negatives of lowering your car ?
Old 03-09-2011, 06:30 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Function over form.

when lowering, you lower the center of gravity. the car has less body roll.
When going through turns, you car will feel planted to the ground
Old 03-09-2011, 08:49 AM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Negatives, cost to lower the car:
springs plus install will be about $600, unless you do the work yourself
coilovers will be like $1000-1500 installed

Also - you'll likely void the warranty on anything suspension related, if the dealer can prove it caused the problem.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:38 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
^^^^ This!
Old 03-13-2011, 03:50 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
not to mention the 'surprises' that await you after lowering. this includes (at least it did on my CL) the need to install camber kits both front and back ... dispite all the "experts" who claimed these kits weren't necessary when lowering the CL. add to this the cost for the early replacement of the tires on the particular axle when the wear becomes noticeable.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:15 PM
Subsonic

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
lowering a car reduces the center of gravity, but it doesn't reduce the body roll, the higher spring rates of lowering springs do.

ie, if you cut ur springs to lower the vehicle, you'll still get the same body roll.
likewise, if you find springs that have a higher spring rate, but are the same "height" as stock you'll also reduce body roll.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:34 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
i love lowering my cars... sporty suspension always makes for a firmer, more sturdy ride.... and it looks GREAT

Its a give/take

you have the above mentioned concerns, plus now you will need to be more cautious over speed bumps, driveways, ramps, etc...

however, i feel having a lowered car makes you a more alert driver to the conditions of the actual road, and it turn, makes you a better, more conscious driver.

ps... eibach springs are good cheap solution ($250ish)... but i never liked the ride quality of them when you dont add adjustable shocks... as far as i know, no adjustable shocks yet for the 4G

i've had Eibachs, Tein Basic, Tein SS & now H&R Sports

H&Rs on my AWD TL... so far, my favorite. not super low, but excellent balance of ride quality and stance
Old 03-28-2011, 02:36 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
i love lowering my cars... sporty suspension always makes for a firmer, more sturdy ride.... and it looks GREAT

Its a give/take

you have the above mentioned concerns, plus now you will need to be more cautious over speed bumps, driveways, ramps, etc...

however, i feel having a lowered car makes you a more alert driver to the conditions of the actual road, and it turn, makes you a better, more conscious driver.

ps... eibach springs are good cheap solution ($250ish)... but i never liked the ride quality of them when you dont add adjustable shocks... as far as i know, no adjustable shocks yet for the 4G

i've had Eibachs, Tein Basic, Tein SS & now H&R Sports

H&Rs on my AWD TL... so far, my favorite. not super low, but excellent balance of ride quality and stance
I saw the H&Rs lower about an inch. If i was to lower i might go this route since it isnt super low and this is my daily driver. Do u have this on your PM AWD??
Old 03-28-2011, 04:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
It's too funny seeing a lowered car high centered on a speed bump.. another downside to lowering a car.. Ummm.. less ground clearance.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:59 AM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
+1 on this. I love my H&R's They kill the wheel gap without killing the overall ride quality.

My only complaint is that I wish the fronts were lower by about 1/2 a finger to be inline with the rear wheels. I've heard by cutting off a small dead piece of the spring will do just that (and not compromise ride) But that requires uninstalling, cutting, reinstalling, and that's totally not worth it.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:45 AM
Chapter Leader (Northeast Florida)

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by TRIUMPHT
are the other benifit's to lowering your car ?... how low should you go?.....and what are the negatives of lowering your car ?
Lowering your ride on coilovers give you the ability to adjust your suspension to your personal liking and feel. With coils you can stance out your ride and remove the big wheel gap. Not knocking springs but you're limited with whatever appearance the car settles to when you install springs and you cannot make any more height adjustment after springs are install.

Gotta be care to how low you go on coils because you run into scraping and rubbing issues from being slammed. With coilovers you control your ride height and determine your sweet spot. Me personally, i like to have the ability to adjust my ride height as i see fit, adjust my suspension to my liking and stance out my ride and coilovers give you that ability. Coilovers cost more but it's worth it. You gotta pay to play .