Best shock upgrade - coilovers - advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 11:01 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
Best shock upgrade - coilovers - advice needed

HI all.

I've been a member here a long time - but have not posted in a loooooong time!

I have a 2009 TL SH-AWD. it is my daily driver.

my car is bone stock but I have added H&R springs. My car is pushing 100k and I installed my springs a while ago... I can tell my shocks are WAY worn out and it is time to replace them.

this time, I am going to do something nice - coilovers or some kind of high end setup.

I have not researched suspension options for my car for a while...last time I looked into it , people were doing TEIN Street advance setups and saying it was great.. Now I am seeing that that has been replaced by the Tein sTreet advanced Z line...

I have also seen that there is EDFC active pro.. but I cant' figure out if that is something an AWD TL can use o r would benefit from?

if I want to uprgrade my suspension to make my car handle as well as possible... what do I get?

I don't care if it is bumpy... I want it to corner as well as as possible... so what do I get?

Kw? BC? Tein? do I get EDFC?

if I want my TL to handle as well as can be - what would you recommend? I'm going to replace shocks/springs.. maybe do a new rear sawy bar... I can get EDFC if neede.. even if it cost sa couple grand.. what would make my TL handle the best?

is just getting a basic coilver the best bang for the buck

I will probably sell and replace my car in the next year or two. looking to maybe get an F80 M3...but in the meantime..to make y TL as fun as possible to drive...I want to upgrade my worn out stock setup and get sometign to make it handle much better.

please let me know what you recommend ?

thanks!
Old 07-26-2018, 06:32 PM
Drifting

someone here must have suggestions on the best suspension setup for our cars? 70 views but no one has chimed in?

it looks like I could use EDFC with the Street Advance Z... I just don't know if there would be any kind of conflict between their EDFC PRO (active suspension) and SH-AWD?
Old 07-26-2018, 06:53 PM
Drifting

in the alternative - what is the best bang for the buck in terms of coilovers? TEIN has a wide selection of setups - Street Basis, street advance, etc... I could just do Koni Yellows with my existing H&R springs also? i'm going to replace my shocks and I am NOT going to put in stock shocks... i'll either add performance shocks to my existing H&Rs or I will buy a coilover system and sell my springs. I like my existing ride height but I wouldn't mind being able to go slightly lower.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:34 PM
The inconvenient truth

Received 436 Likes on 322 Posts
I would recommend the TEIN Street advance. They are great so far and the adjust-ability is just so convenient. Many people on here have them and ive never heard anything but positivity about them. Defiantly a good bang for your buck coilover. I also got the Tein EDFC (not the active one just the regular). The active one to me seemed a bit expensive and unnecessary for me personally. I would assume the active pro works fine with sh-awd but don't quote me on that.

Anyways those are the coilovers I chose after doing the research, they are tried and true.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:50 PM
Drifting

thanks for the feedback! did yoinstall it yourself or pay a shop to do it? I'm curious how hard / how expensive it would be to install the hsocks AND to have a shop install EDFC? where did you put the EDFC controller? any pics of where you put it?

with the EDFC how drastic is the difference between full soft vs full hard?

thanks!
Old 07-26-2018, 09:41 PM
The inconvenient truth

Received 436 Likes on 322 Posts
I had a shop install both the coilovers and the edfc. Its place I know and trust the people there. I got the coilovers put in then had the edfc put in like a year later. Paid 250 for the coilover install and an alignment. Paid 350 for the edfc install. Obviously it should be cheaper if both are done at the same time. The edfc is kind of a lot of work because the interior has to be taken apart so much. Theres a huge difference between soft and hard. Like lexus suspension to race car. I had the controller put under the buttons on the left side of the dash. I like it there cause its out of the way but I can reach it fine and I can see the screen through the steering wheel.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:49 PM
Drifting

thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it!