Weird creak/clunk sound when gas tank full... weird!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 04:42 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
Weird creak/clunk sound when gas tank full... weird!

Hey everyone... I have a question I was hoping some of you might have some ideas on...

Over the fast few weeks...I've noticed a weird clunking noise coming from my car. the sound is almost like a creak or a knocking sound. NOT engine knock...

I noticed it at slower speeds when I am starting or stopping. From the driver's seat...it sounds like it's coming from the engine bay or from the wheels... I can't tell exactly..but it's not from inside the cabin or the rear of the car..the sound is defintely comign from the FRONT of the car.. as to whether it's from my engine BAY or the wheels.. I can't say 100%.

I have noticed it more often when I fill up with gas... if I have an empty tank, I don't notice at all, and the sound actually goes away... so I'm guessing that whatever I am hearing has something to do with how heavy the car is... and maybe the extra weight of a full tank is making it creak???

I notice it when I am slowing down to come to a complete stop...as the car is at maybe 5mph and I am pushing on the brakes and the car is stopping. as I let off the brake pedal, and start to pull away from a stop, I heat it again.

I have not noticed it at all if I am cruising and then hit the gas or let off the gas while at speed. it mostly is audible when I am about to come to a complete stop or as I am letting off the gas and accelerating away.. even if I roll away slowly... I hear it.

it's not a loud noise..but it's very notieable... my wife borrowed the car and heard it clearly. it is almost like a creaking door... creak/creak/creak... i might describe it as a clunking noise...

i notice nothing wrong with my steering wheel, alignment, etc.

i got out of the car and pushed up/down on the fenders and pushed on the wheels to see if I could detect anything lose..checked lugnuts... everythign seems fine.

engine mounts? something else?

I have H&R springs and was wondering if someting in the install went bad...but I had the springs put on a good 7-8 months ago and never had any problems until now....

any suggestions??? ideas??? thanks!!
Old 08-07-2013, 07:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ Could it be the seat itself? I can't recall where I saw it but some people have had noise coming from their seat assembly and I think there was a TSB on it, or someone posted how they were able to stop it. I think its a coincidence that it happens when the car is full of gas but I could be wrong.

My problem is the sunroof ticking noise.....
Old 08-08-2013, 02:22 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I purchased a 2012 TL Advance in June of last year from a dealer in Southern California. After a few months I heard the same type of noise (creak/clunk). Took it to the dealer with 3500 miles and they assumed it was a bad struts, so they replaced those and it didn't solve the issue. Then they thought it was a bad sway bar, so they replaced this and it didn't solve the issue. They then removed the entire rear suspension of the car (struts, control arms, etc. etc.). After 40 days at the dealer then learned the frame/body wasn't welded properly together which was causing the creaking/clunking sound. Acura required that I allow them to fix and re-weld everything. 60 days later I was forced to take the car back and while driving home, there was the sound, it was reduced but still there. After 4-5 months of working with Acura Corporate The car was replaced with a 2013. I am no car expert so my recap of the story might not be a perfect play by play, but this could be your issue. Good luck.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:24 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by weather
^^ Could it be the seat itself? I can't recall where I saw it but some people have had noise coming from their seat assembly and I think there was a TSB on it, or someone posted how they were able to stop it. I think its a coincidence that it happens when the car is full of gas but I could be wrong.

My problem is the sunroof ticking noise.....

it's not the seat. the sound is definitely coming from somewhere OTHER than the cabin.... it's either under the hood or int he suspension/wheel wells.... i can't tell that specificslly from my seat..but it's not the seat rocking.

i'm starting to wonder if it is something to do with my brakes.

i have noticed that I ONLY hear the sound when I am applying the brake or letting off the brake. once i've let go of the brake altogether, the sound goes away. I can be driving at 20-25 mph, go over a dip or bump or imperfection in the road - something that gives the suspension a good jar, and I hear NOTHING.

but if I am at a dead stop, and I start to roll away,I hear the clunk clunk as I let off the brake pedal...

guess i have to go to the dealer.

i'm worried they'll blame my springs and give me crap. we'll see.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:41 PM
Drifting

i've noticed that the sound is now audible even when the gas tank is not full... so either whatever it was is getting worse.. or it really had nothing to do with the gas tank level...

i can say this - the sound is only audible when comign to a stop or rolling away from a stop. if I am at a complet stop and I start to let off the brake and the car slowly starts to inch forward, and then I depress the brake pedal quickly - i hear it.. its either something in the braking system.. OR it's something in the suspension..and slight movement is causing something to shift/creak....

it sounds like the front left area of the engine bay..

sometime this weekend i'm going to jack that corner of the car up, and see if any bolts are loose..wiggle stuff once it's unloaded..and see if anthing appears loose.

if that dons't do it, i'll take it in for an inspection by dealer. i am just hopign that it's not rleated to my springs as then they will say it's not covered etc...

maybe if the springs did go bad, or came loose..or somehow have damged something in my shock... it will be an excuse to get a set of Teins...
Old 08-17-2013, 03:05 PM
9th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if it is not a real loud clunk, maybe it's just something rolling and clunking as you brake or accelerate like a bolt or something like that.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:01 AM
Drifting

this weekend I decided to jack up the car and try to fix it. the sound had mostly sounded like it came from the driver's front wheel hub area..so I jacked up that corner, pulled off the wheel and wiggled everything...the shock, spring, suspension,, brakes, etc.

the only thing that seemed to wiggle too much was part of my brake caliper. the center portion of the caliper...which you would loosen and swing up/outward to change out thepads...seemed to wiggle a tad to much...and make a slight noise when i wiggled it.... i wondered if it might have some free play that was clicking when the car started and stopped...

i got out my torque wrench and gave a nice tug to all the bolts on the back of hte caliper... none of them really felt like they moved at all...but maybe they did....but i couldnt' say i felt any movement...

i put the wheel back on..buttoned it all up...

no more nosie! i even filled up with gas..which seemed to exacerbate the problem...and not a peep. it's been several days and the noise has not returned...

whatever it was..it's gone.