Transmission issue with only 46,800 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 10:38 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission issue with only 46,800 miles?

I recently bought my first Acura on January of this year. Bought it with 43,700 miles. It is a 2013 Acura TL FWD Base. The car has been working fine other than feeling a little jerky. I started having problems ever since the beginning of March. I wanted to know if it is common for the 2013 Acura TL to have transmission problems this early on.

I dont know too much about cars but I do know when something doesn't feel right (odd noises etc). So I have been feeling the car very underpowered lately as in the car struggles to get up to speed. It doesn't go over 3000rpm easily. The rpms also start fluctuating alot when doing normal braking. When going at low speeds there is a whining noise when accelerating. All of this doesn't feel normal too me. The car is still under the powertrain warranty until June 2019. When I bought the car from the dealership all the regular maintenance had been done on the car. Any ideas on what might be wrong? Is this is a recurring problem with the TL's?
Old 03-21-2018, 08:27 PM
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
Have you tried changing the fluid?
Old 03-21-2018, 09:29 PM
7th Gear

Have appointment on Thursday

Originally Posted by Anicra
Have you tried changing the fluid?
I have not. I assumed the dealership performed all services before selling the car but I guess that's not the case. I have an appointment at the Acura dealership. I would have to pay out of pocket if i's the fluid is what they said. As long as the ATF change fixes the problem it's all good.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:50 PM
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
I havent had an transmission problem besides a quirky ATF filters - each time they replaced it they replaced the fluid. I have 40k miles with 4 transmission changes, 2 by me 2 by Acura. Perhaps when you go in tell them you been hearing a gulging noise by the battery, maybe they will change the filter and give you a free fluid change.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:42 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Anicra
I havent had an transmission problem besides a quirky ATF filters - each time they replaced it they replaced the fluid. I have 40k miles with 4 transmission changes, 2 by me 2 by Acura. Perhaps when you go in tell them you been hearing a gulging noise by the battery, maybe they will change the filter and give you a free fluid change.
So I got my car back from the dealership and I still feel the car underpowered. They changed the ATF but I dont feel a difference. The funny thing is I've been listening for noises and with the A/C off and the engine idling I am hearing the gurgling sound that you mentioned. I think there is a TSB for that problem if I am not mistaken. How long should I wait for the sound to go away after the ATF change? Am I in the same situation as you with having to do multiple filter and fluid changes?
Old 03-23-2018, 01:55 PM
But I just got here

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
I've been having the same issue with hearing that gurgling sound at start up for the last few months. Thanks to this forum though I'm taking my car in on Monday morning to get the service bulletin done (replace ATF and filter).
Old 03-23-2018, 02:30 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by rmadrid7
So I got my car back from the dealership and I still feel the car underpowered. They changed the ATF but I dont feel a difference. The funny thing is I've been listening for noises and with the A/C off and the engine idling I am hearing the gurgling sound that you mentioned. I think there is a TSB for that problem if I am not mistaken. How long should I wait for the sound to go away after the ATF change? Am I in the same situation as you with having to do multiple filter and fluid changes?
Another thing. I was told by the Acura dealership that the ATF is not a serviceable item. The guy said Either they do not know what they are talking about or something is off. The service advisor esponded sarcastically when I mentioned the filter and says there is no filter. He asked a technician and ended up saying that they do not even touch the filter.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:12 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by rmadrid7
Another thing. I was told by the Acura dealership that the ATF is not a serviceable item. The guy said Either they do not know what they are talking about or something is off. The service advisor esponded sarcastically when I mentioned the filter and says there is no filter. He asked a technician and ended up saying that they do not even touch the filter.
My 2012 TL Shawd has a filter and I have changed it myself.Good luck
Old 03-24-2018, 07:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
I wonder if they performed the most recent software update? I used to have issues with my 2012 FWD and then the dealer sent me a letter that I I was eligible for a free fluid change and software update and its been perfect since they did that. Totally changed the way the car shifted and it feel more like the car is in sport mode when in Normal drive, I think the software update shifts a bit more aggressively and it doesn't upshift as early anymore.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:32 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by wreak
I wonder if they performed the most recent software update? I used to have issues with my 2012 FWD and then the dealer sent me a letter that I I was eligible for a free fluid change and software update and its been perfect since they did that. Totally changed the way the car shifted and it feel more like the car is in sport mode when in Normal drive, I think the software update shifts a bit more aggressively and it doesn't upshift as early anymore.
The dealership looked for updates and said they found none.