Transmission 3x3 service capacity? 2013 TL FWD 6AT

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2022, 12:37 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Transmission 3x3 service capacity? 2013 TL FWD 6AT

Is the fill capacity for the 3x3 drain/fill procedure 3.5 or 4 quarts each time?

I did the transmission 3x3 service and a new filter. Based on a guide I read each time I drained the transmission, added 3.5 quarts and drove it around and shifted through all the gears, reverse and then did that twice more. So I used a total of 10.5 quarts.

Now, immediately after a drive with engine hot (and off) the transmission dipstick doesn’t have transmission fluid on it. There seems to be some splashed around, but when I wipe it and put it back all the way down to check, it certainly does not fill in either of the two holes on the dipstick.

Will the first dipstick level hole be filled with fluid if the level is correct? I verified the drain plug and filter is not leaking but there is maybe only transmission fluid on the tip of the dipstick.

I don’t want to overfill so I want to be certain. Also, anyone know how much capacity there is between the dots?

When I checked the level I was fully expecting it to be perfect so a dry dipstick threw me for a loop…
Old 12-17-2022, 05:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
It honestly depends on how long you let the fluid drain for as most of it is stuck in the trans, the pan holds somewhere between 3-4 quarts.

I let it drain for about 15 minutes and refill with 3 quarts and check the dipstick. I put the old fluid in the new bottles (empty ones) and that helps me figure out how much came out of the car.

Make sure you check the fluid within 60-90 seconds of turning the car off at operating temp. I've had a lot of difficulty reading the stick so it'll take a few tries to get an accurate reading. The fluid should be between the 2 holes on the dipstick.

It's cheapest to buy a case (12 quarts) of fluid from your local honda dealer and do it that way. Also you have to remember that the new filter will absorb some fluid since it's brand new.
The following users liked this post:
Flyinblyian (12-17-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 06:35 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by csmeance
It honestly depends on how long you let the fluid drain for as most of it is stuck in the trans, the pan holds somewhere between 3-4 quarts.

I let it drain for about 15 minutes and refill with 3 quarts and check the dipstick. I put the old fluid in the new bottles (empty ones) and that helps me figure out how much came out of the car.

Make sure you check the fluid within 60-90 seconds of turning the car off at operating temp. I've had a lot of difficulty reading the stick so it'll take a few tries to get an accurate reading. The fluid should be between the 2 holes on the dipstick.

It's cheapest to buy a case (12 quarts) of fluid from your local honda dealer and do it that way. Also you have to remember that the new filter will absorb some fluid since it's brand new.
I let the fluid drain out as long as it was still flowing (probably 10 minutes), once it started a slow drip I put the drain plug back. I put in exactly 3.5 quarts each time, hence the 10.5 total. I added some more but I cannot get a good read as to where it actually is but neither one of the holes has fluid on it. When I got back today I rushed out of the car as quick as I could to check the dipstick so I don't know why it isn't showing right. Engine oil reading is easy peasy. I did buy the 12-quart case.
Old 12-21-2022, 04:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by Dreamliner
I let the fluid drain out as long as it was still flowing (probably 10 minutes), once it started a slow drip I put the drain plug back. I put in exactly 3.5 quarts each time, hence the 10.5 total. I added some more but I cannot get a good read as to where it actually is but neither one of the holes has fluid on it. When I got back today I rushed out of the car as quick as I could to check the dipstick so I don't know why it isn't showing right. Engine oil reading is easy peasy. I did buy the 12-quart case.
If the dipstick is dry, you'll need to add more for sure. If you overfill you can always take fluid out. Easy way to check for overfilled trans is that the car will creep forward in neutral.
Old 12-22-2022, 05:30 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by csmeance
If the dipstick is dry, you'll need to add more for sure. If you overfill you can always take fluid out. Easy way to check for overfilled trans is that the car will creep forward in neutral.
Okay thank you. I've added about a full quart extra now and I think it's good. When I got home I would shut the car off and check the level, then added 1/4 quart and checked again next time so it took a bit of time. I was really surprised to see it down that much as the 3x3 service I added 3.5 quart each time. I also did the transmission filter so perhaps that explains some of it. Now I've used about 4.5 quart for the final fill.

I did the filter because of the gurgling sounds. Did the 3x3 because the car's 1-2 shift was different from the rest (there was a second 100rpm drop after the shift with easy acceleration). After the 3x3 I did the transmission reset (gas pedal thing) and it seemed to be much better but 1-2 shift was still different and seemed to 'lurch' into second. After adding the last quart it seems better. Enough that I didn't specifically notice it last time I drove. I'll still pay the money for an ECU/Transmission update at the dealer, just to be sure.

I think going forward I will do a single transmission drain/fill every other oil change, keeping the fluid fresh and avoiding the 3x3 situation.