Stain on my rims...PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 09:40 PM
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Unhappy Stain on my rims...PLEASE HELP

Ill try to keep this short:

I recently took my car to my local hand wash and everything was ok when i got my car back,or so i thought.

I dont drive my car that often because im always working and tired lol.So right after i wash the car i go and park because it was going to rain. About a week later when i go to take car out for a spin i notice 3 of my rims had white stains on the lips of rim. I dont know what to do because i recently got a detail and the damn stain wouldnt come out. My boys said to go back to shop and complain but how the hell can i prove the car wash did it, being that the stain was not there when i picked the car up.

Im asking you guys to see what i can do. My last result is taking the wheels to my wheel guy which i know can fix the problem.Its just that its gonna run me couple hundred bucks to get them redone. Im trying to exhaust all options before i do that.

Does anyone know how i can fix this with wax,compound etc....please any kinda advice/input would be highly appreciated.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:31 AM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
stain as in curb marks?

take a picture so we can understand more on what you are saying.

btw.. to be completely honest.. there is nothing you can do with the carwash place.. its been too long and you cant prove it.. you should skip that part about complaining to them as you will look like a complete fool walking in to there telling them that they fucked up your car a week ago.. they might think your crazy and call the cops on you.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:14 AM
Drifting

Received 673 Likes on 542 Posts
Sorry to hear of your mishap bro,some of the rim cleaners can ruin the finish on rims,generally it reacts with the clearcoat and will cause discolouration/stain, if this is what happened to you there is little that can be done except to have them stripped and the clearcoat re applied.

To see if it can be removed without resorting to something drastic try washing them with warm soapy water and see what happens.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:34 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,155 Likes on 826 Posts
Is the clearcoat finish starting to bubble and come off ?

A picture is worth more than a thousand words.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:45 AM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
Yeah, as the old saying goes...

Could it be water spots? If that's the case you may be able to try a white distilled vinegar solution (1 part vinegar & 3 parts water).

Good luck!
Old 09-28-2012, 10:10 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by potmilkz
stain as in curb marks?

take a picture so we can understand more on what you are saying.

btw.. to be completely honest.. there is nothing you can do with the carwash place.. its been too long and you cant prove it.. you should skip that part about complaining to them as you will look like a complete fool walking in to there telling them that they fucked up your car a week ago.. they might think your crazy and call the cops on you.

i will try to post a pic if it helps they are stained on my last few pics on my thread.Its not curb marks i wouldve noticed that when i pick the car up,as far as going back to shop i agree,its a waste of time.

Originally Posted by KarKraze
Sorry to hear of your mishap bro,some of the rim cleaners can ruin the finish on rims,generally it reacts with the clearcoat and will cause discolouration/stain, if this is what happened to you there is little that can be done except to have them stripped and the clearcoat re applied.

To see if it can be removed without resorting to something drastic try washing them with warm soapy water and see what happens.

Ive tried all of that KK no cigar,Im really over these wheels.

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Is the clearcoat finish starting to bubble and come off ?

A picture is worth more than a thousand words.
No bubbling or corroding just a WHITE streaky stain. Very similar to the stains left behind when brushing your teeth and the mirror gets tooth paste on it.Sorry for the reference ,its the only thing that comes to mind.

Originally Posted by ucf_bronco
Yeah, as the old saying goes...

Could it be water spots? If that's the case you may be able to try a white distilled vinegar solution (1 part vinegar & 3 parts water).

Good luck!
Thx bronco, i will give this a try. One of my good friends thinks this happened because of something the shop sprayed on my wheels ,while they were still hot from the commute. So the heat plus the solution cause the reaction to happen and it stained it.

What i dont understand is why the rims looked perfectly fine when i picked them up.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:36 AM

your rolling on vs-xx with a polished lip.. dont worry, you can buff it out by hand...

it would be better if we see pictures tho..

as long as its not curbed you can pretty much fix any polish lip defect on your own with a few good polishes
Old 09-28-2012, 11:22 AM
Drifting

Received 673 Likes on 542 Posts
If it is the lip that has discoloured, it can be buffed as potmilkz suggested however if is the painted face buffing it won't help. I still think that it is a reaction between the clearcoat and the cleaners, seen it happen many times and it usually looks like a whiteish haze, eventually if it not fixed it will bubble and peel

Pics will def help
Old 09-28-2012, 12:30 PM
Pro

i will try and get some pics but i dont have a good camera,just iphone lol

what polish do you suggest?
Old 09-28-2012, 12:42 PM

well let me ask you.. are your lips clearcoated or polished?

if its clearcoated.. then do not polish it, you will need to pretty much strip the clear and then polish.. if they are polished then just go grab monthers mag polish and also grab the mothers polish ball and use a drill to polish the lips.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:44 PM
Pro

polished
Old 09-28-2012, 12:48 PM
Pro

another thing i just gave her a detail few weeks ago and the guy couldn't take out the stains.Thats why i don't think its going to be as easy as you are putting it.