Speakers blown and rattle

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 08:26 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Speakers blown and rattle

The first day I got the car and when I got home, i decided to listen to some music (volume level 8). Turns out my front right speaker was blown. I took it back and they had to order the part to replace it. I was pissed because its a BRAND NEW CAR. I think someone in the back was listening to loud music while they were cleaning the dang car.

I havent been driving much (only 700 miles) because i have been out of state. Well last night (28th day of purchased car) I decided to turn up the speakers again (volume level 10) and i hear this rattling sound. I think its my OTHER speaker. This rattle sound everytime the bass bumps just a tad, is it busted? or is something just loose?

and my tint... well thats another story. having horrible luck.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Wow same issue with the same speaker!

I've had the car since February, and recently I've been hearing rattles and annoying buzzes from the front right speaker (worse when playing songs with deep bass). Other speakers seem to be fine. My volume is usually a 4 or a 6 and at times 8 or 10, and bass treble and sub woofer at 5. Still, this should not be an excuse for a brand new car to be blowing its speaker.

I'm going to get them checked out for my next oil change.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:59 AM
Advanced

dang... that sucks... does this apply to the lemon law? lol this is the second time!
Old 07-31-2009, 01:03 AM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
do different songs rattle? some do and some dont?
Old 07-31-2009, 08:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
do different songs rattle? some do and some dont?
All songs rattle very slightly starting around 4. But once you play songs with deeper bass, it's more evident. Sounds like something is out of place or loose in that front right speaker. The car doesn't shake as a result or nothing though so that's good. So right now, I'm just listening to music at a lower volume.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Just got my new 09 TL today and darn if the right speaker is not blown. I have the rattle too. It is the voice coil in the speaker that is bad. Also has anyone notice the AM reception? On mine is it not good compared to another TL I tried today. Might have to get that replaced too. I am not sure but I think I feel my brake peddle pulsating , when stopping from high speed. Not sure as I just drove the car home, but I feel something. What a way to take the joy out of getting a new car - This is reminding me of the days when I bought American cars. I hope not.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:02 PM
Eli
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
New cars often have some defects, usually minor things like this. That's why there's a warranty.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 533 Likes on 343 Posts
Dang, this really sucks to hear and we're having the same exact problems on the '09 TSX, and I have had 4 problematic speakers already...some owners are on their 2nd replacement of the same speaker(s) already:

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-problems-fixes-145/speakers-getting-blown-out-690237/

An overwhelming majority seem to be in the Tech package.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:25 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a rattle as well, but I don't think it is the speaker being bad. It just resonates on certain frequencys. I listen at 15, and it just started recently. I will wait until it irritates me more to have them add some insulation or something to it.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:02 PM
Advanced

i brought in the car, and they are replacing the driver side speaker this friday. already replaced the passenger speaker. hopefully they wont have to replace the other 8 speakers.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:36 AM
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
When you guys say "front right speaker" are you referring to the speaker mounted on the door? or the tweeter mounted on the A pillar? I guess the one on the door right?
Old 08-04-2009, 11:21 AM
My beer fridge is in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i'm guessing the mid range in the door, if you blow a tweeter you usually can't stand to turn on the stereo until it is fixed.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:50 PM
Cruisin'

Same problem... Drove the car off the lot and found that both the passenger side door speaker and tweeter on the pillar were cracked. Dealer ordered in new parts and installed -- no problems since. It was really evident on songs with deep bass and AM radio...
Old 08-05-2009, 01:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

I have the driver side door speaker warble too. It just started up about a week ago. The driver is definitely on it's way out, and only 8 months old, how sad. Eli, do you know if the warranty covers blown drivers?
Old 08-10-2009, 04:09 PM
Advanced

dang... really sucks.

I got both speakers changed out and working properly. Now im noticing a rattle. Its tiny but its freaking annoying. Its not from the speaker or anything. When i drive and hit a slight bump, it rattles... should I get this fixed? I dont even know where it comes from. Do dealerships fix this?
Old 08-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by chiu0nthls
dang... really sucks.

I got both speakers changed out and working properly. Now im noticing a rattle. Its tiny but its freaking annoying. Its not from the speaker or anything. When i drive and hit a slight bump, it rattles... should I get this fixed? I dont even know where it comes from. Do dealerships fix this?
Yes the dealer will attempt to fix it. Because the car is so quiet any rattle is annoying
Old 08-11-2009, 08:59 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chiu0nthls
dang... really sucks.

Do you drive with the shade for the moonroof open? I closed mine and a rattle that had annoyed me went away. I can't tell if it is the shade making noise when it is retracted, or if when it is closed it is muffling a rattle from the moonroof itself.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:30 AM
Advanced

I'm having the same problem, the right driver door speaker rattles with low bass. Just went to the dealer today and they said will replace it but speaker is backordered so needed to wait 2-4 weeks... thankfully my situation isn't that bad.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:45 PM
Advanced

all windows closed, no music on. just the road, me, and the dang faint rattle. freaking... been to the dealership so many times since i bought this car, i should have my own desk and clock in!
Old 08-26-2009, 12:36 PM
7th Gear

Wow, I had the same issue when I bought my TL last month. Didn't notice anything wrong until i got home and cranked up the radio. The driver side door speaker was completely blown out. After talking to the service representative he told me that they had issues with the 09 TSX's also. Neways they replaced the speaker and it sounds good now. I set my Fader to play more sound in the rear, it seems that the amp is to powerful for these speaker IMO.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by omnimax
I'm having the same problem, the right driver door speaker rattles with low bass. Just went to the dealer today and they said will replace it but speaker is backordered so needed to wait 2-4 weeks... thankfully my situation isn't that bad.

I just got back from the dealer after having my front driver door speaker replaced. I waited about a month for the speaker to come in. The replacement took about 30mins and it sounds great now! I'm so happy to be able to finally fully exploit the TL sound system. I was told the replacement process is pretty straight forward, pop the interior door panel, replace the speaker and replace the door panel.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:36 PM
I am a bullet proof tiger

My car is in today for replacing the right rear door speaker which has a rattle. Only took 5 days for the part to come in.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:59 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Passenger rear side speaker is making a buzz sound whenever it is being used. I didn’t even realize it until someone who sat in the back told me since I don’t have the music on very loud. But now I know it is buzzing, it is very annoying. Called the dealer was hoping they would order the parts and then schedule the appointment so I don’t have to go to dealer twice for the service guy to checkout something I “KNOW” it is broken. No deal.

So took the car in this morning to have the service guys to test the passenger rear side speaker. “Yes sir, it is broken and have to be replaced” the tech said. Anyway, parts should come in this week and next appointment is going to be next Tuesday…
Old 09-29-2009, 11:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Just got mine replaced today. I had to wait about a week for the parts to come in. It sounds great now.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:48 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
...sounds like a common problem
Old 09-30-2009, 10:02 AM
Instructor

Got my rear driver's side door speaker replaced last week. It was still doing it so I took it back on Monday and they had a tech come out, sit in the car, and talk to me.

He said they're getting bad speakers straight from the manufacturer, and it's been happening on both the 4th gen TL and the MDX. They ordered another for me.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:32 PM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts
Moonroof shade

Originally Posted by danimal1968
Do you drive with the shade for the moonroof open? I closed mine and a rattle that had annoyed me went away. I can't tell if it is the shade making noise when it is retracted, or if when it is closed it is muffling a rattle from the moonroof itself.
I have the EXACT same problem; with the roof closed, & the shade open, it squeaks, & rattles; service manager didn't believe it, till he drove the car & heard it. Said I was the 1st '09/TL/Tech/FWD, to complain. No biggie; will fix it during the next service. I'm too busy listening to the new Beatles' remasters, on the HDD; sounds awesome!
Old 10-04-2009, 09:41 PM
Intermediate

First issue I have had with the car in the 5 months I have owned it. Started last week - driver side speaker rattles - definitely sounds blown. Obviously only an annoyance, but the system sounded great up to last week. Scheduling replacement.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:58 PM
10th Gear

I guess you can add another one to list fellas. I had the passenger/front door speaker blow too. Was told by the Service Manager "we'll replace it THIS TIME"...also made suggestions that I was playing it too loud...IF that's the issue (which it clearly isn't) how about you either make the speaker capable of handling the amp's power, OR put a smaller amp in the car? They replaced it and it sounds fine now. Not sure what's going to happen if it blows again. If it does, you can bet on me printing out this post and taking it in to them.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Now my driver front door speaker is starting to rattle. This is great.. oh well another replacement coming up.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When you guys say rattle you mean like a buzz similar to when you're on the fringe of a radio channel or back in the old days, the channel was not tuned in exactly?
Old 10-20-2009, 01:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Haelous
Got my rear driver's side door speaker replaced last week. It was still doing it so I took it back on Monday and they had a tech come out, sit in the car, and talk to me.

He said they're getting bad speakers straight from the manufacturer, and it's been happening on both the 4th gen TL and the MDX. They ordered another for me.
Following up.

Got an email that the speaker was in and an appointment request for tomorrow morning. I'll follow up again tomorrow afternoon.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:31 PM
Intermediate

are they replacing these for free??? mine are blown too. if they are charging, I think I'd rather go get a new kinda of speakers in there so they won't break AGAIN.....

Help!
Old 10-22-2009, 10:09 PM
Burning Brakes

It's free. Take in it, get it checked and they usually have to order the parts so you'll have to return in like a week or two.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:12 AM
Intermediate

r they treating it as a defect? I feel like if not, and I brought my car in, they'd be like "did ya have fun with your rap musssiccc kid?" and give me no warranty/parts for free.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:12 AM
Instructor

Whoops, I forgot to follow up. I got it replaced for free no problem. Great service from my dealer, I have no complaints.

I would imagine that as long as the entire stereo system is OEM you will have no problem getting the speaker replaced under warranty.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:29 PM
Burning Brakes

My dealer was pretty cool about it. You should have no problem until the warranty runs out.
Plus aren't these speakers made to be blasted?
Old 10-23-2009, 05:59 PM
Intermediate

BIG QUESTION THOUGH: r they simply replacing faulty speakers and more faulty speakers? Are the replaced ones blowing too? If they're the same speakers, I'm going to be going back to my dealership 6 times a year for blown speakers...

I feel like if I'm going to be goin back a bajillion times I should just invest in high end speakers......

any1 know?
Old 10-23-2009, 07:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 533 Likes on 343 Posts
I know this is the TL forum but I wanted to give you guys a heads up that the same issue is going on w/ the '09 TSX and I had one speaker replaced (driver's side front door speaker) immediately after I purchased the car and now I have an appt. next week because *THREE* speakers are now rattling and/or blown: front passenger door and both rear doors (and the front passenger one is really bad and has made my system borderline un-listenable). I don't crank the volume and never push the system to its limits so I know that it is not me. Also, the front passenger door speaker seemed to really get nasty one warm day not too long ago, and the rear doors both started acting up at the same time and after our first set of really cool days...so all signs point to very cheaply made speakers!

Also, I discovered last week that my driver's side rear deck speaker seems to cut in and out occasionally and it seems to be dependent on the lows/highs (just a theory here but that seems to be the issue and with various tests that I did).

Oh and I have the Tech package...very disappointed with this issue thus far.

C4N3s, from what I am being told they are being replaced w/ a stronger built speaker. Basically, the earlier builds had speakers in them that were cheaply made and w/ the extremes in weather and the high watts of the system, they fell apart in certain places and caused the blown sound. BUT I am having a little trouble buying this as A) I know of a few people on the internet who reported having to go back for a replacement of a replacement B) if this were the case and newer Acuras have better speakers, than why do some of the newer TLs seem to have the same issue?

Knock on wood my driver's side door speaker that was replaced has been going strong and still sounds great.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:47 PM
Intermediate

the guy at acura told me they're replacing it with the same speaker.....

maybe its the same inventory number and he's just not aware of the "better" speaker"

what yall think?

Quick Reply: Speakers blown and rattle