Speakers blown and rattle

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 02:28 AM
Cruisin'

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the same problem with my 09 TL which I bought a month ago. The left front door speakers was blown. It rattles on a certain frequency. If you listen to soft music it is fine but ones you listen to a music with big bass you can hear a rattling noise. I brought it at the dealer and they replaced it no charge. My question is, how do you remove the speakers from the side door panels? Do you have to remove the door panel or the speaker grill just snaps out? Any pics on the web or post here on how to replace the speakers from the door panel? I would like to replace it with the Infinity Kappa if it blows again.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:35 AM
Back From The dead

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
In both cases mine started out that way but got progressively worse. I had to get them replaced.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:02 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jrkkm
I had the same problem with my 09 TL which I bought a month ago. The left front door speakers was blown. It rattles on a certain frequency. If you listen to soft music it is fine but ones you listen to a music with big bass you can hear a rattling noise. I brought it at the dealer and they replaced it no charge. My question is, how do you remove the speakers from the side door panels? Do you have to remove the door panel or the speaker grill just snaps out? Any pics on the web or post here on how to replace the speakers from the door panel? I would like to replace it with the Infinity Kappa if it blows again.
Gotta remove the door panel and if you go aftermarket, you have to use an adapter to mount the speakers. Scoshe makes one for honda's 6 1/2 that works. Be advised, if you replace rear door speakers (if tech package) even with 3 1/2's, you need to cut some sheet metal as the opening is only 2 1/2 inches or so in diameter.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:03 AM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by NJ SHAWD
In both cases mine started out that way but got progressively worse. I had to get them replaced.
My 10 months TL starts to do same thing on the front right door speaker. I have to go to my first oil change soon and I'll ask the dealer to change it. I'll check if the left is doing also , as the right one is so obvious .
I would say that my wife Premium Santa fe has a better speakers at least and after a year , no issues and no rattles form speakers at any volume level.
I'm disappointed form this point of vue with my TL. I hope it will be fixed.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:34 AM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts
Hey Guys, I've had my 2010 TL SH-AWD (Non-Tech pkg) for about 3 weeks now. Does anybody else seem to feel that there is plenty of Highs & Lows, but can barely hear the mid-range? It's almost like the door speakers aren't working. And also, i feel that i have to have the volume over level 20 on radio stations to hear anything, cd's around 12-13, anything after 15 and it's distorted.

My biggest concern is the mid-range speaker. not sure if their blown, or just not getting enough power from the amp? Non-Tech guys, i could use your input. I'm also going to the dealership today, to sit in a new TL Non-Tech to compare the system to see if it sounds like mine. A little disapointed, the Bose 8 speaker system in my Altima SE-R and Altima Coupe sounds alot nicer than this
Old 05-20-2010, 02:16 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
An obvious point, but did you check your sound settings? Don't know about non-Techs but in Techs you can adjust the center channel speaker. Maybe yours is turned way down? Also, if the non-Tech's have the Dolby surround feature, you might play with that. I've found it sounds better in the off position with radio and XM, but better in the on position when using HDD, IPod and most disc sources.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:25 PM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
An obvious point, but did you check your sound settings? Don't know about non-Techs but in Techs you can adjust the center channel speaker. Maybe yours is turned way down? Also, if the non-Tech's have the Dolby surround feature, you might play with that. I've found it sounds better in the off position with radio and XM, but better in the on position when using HDD, IPod and most disc sources.
Yea, i tried playing with the settings. I played with the center channel. Turned everything way down, and faded everthing to the front, then played with the balance left and right. I can hear the speaker, it's just not as loud as i think it should be. My brother has an 08 Accord Coupe with the same system i believe. I'm going to go listen to his tonight and see what it sounds like.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
I am having the same problem (2010 TL non tech). The rear deck rattles at any volume above 10. The sound itself is quite terrible consider its still 280 watts and 8 speakers. Mid end is non existent, and highs and lows sound overexaggerated. Setting Dolby on, and setting the center channel to +2 has helped, but its still quite a huge disappointment. I listened to the standard and ELS systems before buying, but noticed nothing majorly different between the two with FM/CD/MP3 sources at normal volume levels.

My TL is 2 weeks old !
Old 06-11-2010, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Momyc
My 10 months TL starts to do same thing on the front right door speaker. I have to go to my first oil change soon and I'll ask the dealer to change it. I'll check if the left is doing also , as the right one is so obvious .
I would say that my wife Premium Santa fe has a better speakers at least and after a year , no issues and no rattles form speakers at any volume level.
I'm disappointed form this point of vue with my TL. I hope it will be fixed.
I went to service last week and they changed my speaker on the right front door. All good now ! Hopefully . it will last forever.. The service guy mentioned to me that they change a lot in 2009 TL !
Old 06-12-2010, 09:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
I was in for an oil change and the buzzing right front speaker - It one of the 1st hot days in May - and the speaker wouldn't misbehave. Except after I had left and the car cooled and now it does it every morning
Old 06-15-2010, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by crxb
I was in for an oil change and the buzzing right front speaker - It one of the 1st hot days in May - and the speaker wouldn't misbehave. Except after I had left and the car cooled and now it does it every morning
Mine did same thing. When was very hot outside , it didn't do it. On the cool mornings it was doing that buzzing.

You have to change it. I'm wondering if the new speaker will have same problem after a while...
Old 06-15-2010, 09:13 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Momyc
Mine did same thing. When was very hot outside , it didn't do it. On the cool mornings it was doing that buzzing.

You have to change it. I'm wondering if the new speaker will have same problem after a while...
Mine did the same thing but the trick for me was to change the station to an all talk station and turn it up. It would crackle and pop every time on a talk radio.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:41 PM
2nd Gear

Blown front right door speaker. I'll have it changed on next service...that should put me into a loaner. But after the warranty expires, I assume I'll need aftermarket speakers.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
my speaker noise finally pushed me to get it fixed - Only it wouldn't do it at the dealer. Car had to be cool for the speaker to make noise (as in my morning drive to work, or long drive w/ a/c on). So I left work ran & the a/c at the lowest temp. Speaker still wouldn't make any noise (thought a wasted trip) but then when it was time to exit the tollway for the dealer - Finally it started the noise it makes - dealer had the speaker in stock - replaced in about an hour while I waited
Old 07-01-2010, 04:24 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the front right door speaker replaced by the dealer. The part was in stock so it took about 1 hour to replace.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:33 PM
10th Gear

i just bought a 2010 TL Tech with the 18'' wheel upgrade...does this problem only affect the 09's or are the 10's having this problem as well?
Old 07-19-2010, 07:03 PM
09 TL

just got my TL last im gonna check to see if any of my speakers are blown...what brand of speakers are in the Tech package?
Old 10-03-2010, 07:31 PM
3rd Gear

Having the front driver side and passenger side door speakers replaced on Tuesday. I can't believe that there are this many problems with the speakers without Acura actually offering better replacement speakers. The system sounds great when the spearkers are functioning but I must admit that I get more and more angry evertime I see an advertisement bragging about the number 1 ranking sound system by Edmunds
Old 10-03-2010, 08:15 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TBULL52
Having the front driver side and passenger side door speakers replaced on Tuesday. I can't believe that there are this many problems with the speakers without Acura actually offering better replacement speakers. The system sounds great when the spearkers are functioning but I must admit that I get more and more angry evertime I see an advertisement bragging about the number 1 ranking sound system by Edmunds
Soon we'll be able to ape the BMW moto: "Ultimate driving machine...when it's outside the repair shop" by using something like "Awesome sound system...when all 10 speakers aren't blown".

I got the same problem: passanger door speakers blown (2).
Old 11-16-2010, 09:44 AM

Hi again ,

Back in June they changed the right front door speaker . Now , the left one start to show same symptoms . I'm scheduled next week to change it. Hopefully the new ones are better ..
Old 12-14-2010, 11:34 PM
6th Gear

passenge side speaker rattling too. searching what size speaker i need and a good brand..
Old 12-15-2010, 04:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts
anyone have center channel issues? -- I'm having buzzing under the right frequency on the center channel, right side front door, and sub. I'm reluctant to take it in because I would rather drive my car in this weather then any loaner.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 536 Likes on 345 Posts
Originally Posted by jnc2000
anyone have center channel issues? -- I'm having buzzing under the right frequency on the center channel...
Yep, I am in my TSX. I've had 6 speakers replaced since buying the car 02/09 and like you said, I am not too interested in dealing w/ it all right now either so I'll wait. And to be honest it's only here and there and like you said, under the right frequency, so I may just leave it alone...not too interested in having the dealership ripping my entire dash apart for something that doesn't bother me that much. Yes I know, it's the principle of it all, but...you pick your battles.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:14 PM
6th Gear

The rattling was so annoying, I went ahead and change the front speaker today.
I probably change the the speaker and sub on the back seat too. Replace it with pioneer 180w now it's sound way better than Oem.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-31-2010, 01:05 AM
Intermediate

i have a 2007 TL Type S and I have noticed that the center sub in the back deck is vibrating every time the bass hits... i agree, it is extremely annoying. My vibrating sound starts about volume level 7 or 8... i have a Service Appointment tomorrow and i think that i am going to have to ask them about it...
Old 01-05-2011, 02:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

I found this in one of Acura's Service Bulletins:

DIAGNOSIS
Do the speaker check mode to isolate the faulty
speaker(s):
1.Turn the ignition switch to ON (II).
2.Make sure the audio system is turned off.
3.Push and hold the No. 1 and No. 3 preset buttons.
4.While holding the preset buttons, push the PWR
knob to on.
5.Release the buttons and the speaker check mode
begins. A test tone should sound from one speaker
as indicated on the display.
6.Each time you press the SEEK/SKIP CATEGORY
button, the test moves to the next speaker.
7.The speaker check mode ends when you turn
the audio unit off, or turn the ignition switch to
LOCK (0).
Old 01-07-2011, 02:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

^^^ all this does is emit a high pitch tone - my speakers rattle only on lower frequency's.

Have an appointment for Tuesday to replace 5 of my speakers - sunroof rattle, back seat headrest button, rear door rattle upon closing and some mysterious click that emits through my speakers when only when my wipers are on.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:23 AM
Racer

I get a click, quick sound of static at times somewhere from my front speakers as well, just not sure what it is or which speaker exactly

anyone ever have an issue with their sub ? last few days seems like the bass just hits like crazy and rolls longer then it did before in the past..kind of sounding like the subwoofer is going bad?
Old 01-13-2011, 12:55 AM
Cruisin'

in the 3+ weeks I have owned the car, my '08 TL Navi seems to have some speaker issues.
I have noticed that the key is the Dolby setting. I can have the bass cranked all the way, treble in the middle and the Dolby II setting OFF for lower volumes and ON for higher volumes. Of course, FM and XM is different than CD, tape or iPod settings.

I turned on the Dolby for higher volumes of heavier music and it never rattles. I turn off the Dolby for lower volumes, and that is the answer for me.

That said, I am upgrading when I get the sheckles. Got the weathertech's and am looking at the coldair intake upgrade.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:04 AM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Here's a Tech Package cost perspective as to why the OEM speakers keep having issues and IMO are crap.

(2) Woofers $ 46.60
(2) Tweeters $ 41.28
(2) Rear Door $ 48.80
Subwoofer $ 83.72
Center $ 24.90

So the total cost of the 8 speakers totals $ 245.30. You can't get a decent pair of aftermarket components for that price. This is why I always go aftermarket.

Last edited by Brew0360; 01-13-2011 at 07:11 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Boardman Acura is replacing 4 of my speakers... both front doors, the center, and the sub.

In other news, I've racked over 2k miles on loaner ZDX's and I must say I'm quite fond of the 6AT.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:40 PM
GoBrown

Cpo 09 tl

I just bought my TL a few weeks ago. CPO 09 TL, and my right passenger speaker is blown. My Bass and Sub are on Center and it rattles on music between volume 5 and above. I am taking it in on Monday for them to fix it.

Originally Posted by chiu0nthls
The first day I got the car and when I got home, i decided to listen to some music (volume level 8). Turns out my front right speaker was blown. I took it back and they had to order the part to replace it. I was pissed because its a BRAND NEW CAR. I think someone in the back was listening to loud music while they were cleaning the dang car.

I havent been driving much (only 700 miles) because i have been out of state. Well last night (28th day of purchased car) I decided to turn up the speakers again (volume level 10) and i hear this rattling sound. I think its my OTHER speaker. This rattle sound everytime the bass bumps just a tad, is it busted? or is something just loose?

and my tint... well thats another story. having horrible luck.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:32 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Old thread but thought I'd mention. Front left speaker blown on the 2009 I just got. At low volumes, it just goes thud thud thud.

Annoying to go in for this ;(.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:04 AM
1st Gear

Blown speaker in door

Has anyone found a replacement for factory speakers in the 2009 TL Sedan Tech model? Passenger side door speaker is blown and I want to replace and upgrade.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:59 PM
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts
CPO 09 So far they've replaced both front doors and the sub. Very common problem for Acuras and Honda's been going on for years... it's not actually blowing them it's just a defect cause some of these issues are intermitten... Crutchfield will give you the sizes it's either a 5 1/4 or 6.5 but a set of componets in the correct size with cross overs and you'll be fine... All the good brands should fit...
Old 02-27-2013, 08:00 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rear driver side speaker is blown. Taken to dealership and speaker is already scheduled to be installed tomorrow. Acura needs to step up their engineering game on speakers to match their vehicles.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:50 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just found this thread and looks like I'm not the only one. I think my sub is blown on my 2012 Tech... This same thing happened on my 07 TL-S too.... Hopefully this time around I don't get the run-around at my local Acura dealer. And no I don't listen to music loud at all. Thanks for the info guys!
Old 04-22-2013, 09:10 AM
Intermediate

just picked up 09 Tech Grigio on Friday (traded in my PWP TSX for it, and i love the new TL)

mine is rattling whenever bass goes above level 4. i think its drivers side door or backseat door.
anybody know all the sizes of all the speakers in the car?
id rather replace it with good aftermarkets.

thx in advance
Old 04-22-2013, 04:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
If I had a nickle...
Old 12-05-2013, 07:17 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Well. My front right speaker starts rattling now. The driver side speaker was replaced under warranty in 2011. I don't go beyond volume level 7. Is it possible the constant noise cancellation worn out the speakers?

Quick Reply: Speakers blown and rattle