Probelm with TL and some rants

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 06:00 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Probelm with TL and some rants

Hey Everyone,

OK let's begin....I unlocked the car from the handle, got in, (with the key in my pocket) and pushed the start button with my foot on the brake. The instruments lite up and turned right back off. I took my foot off the brake reapplied and pushed the button nothing. Tried to turn on an interior light nothing. Got out of car. Hit the lock button my remote got back in applied foot on brake and pressed button and car started. Navi came up and asked for code, lost all my stations and memory for seats. (I know you must be saying that the battery probably died. But this has happened to me about 5 times now with the only exception that it only asked me for the radio code the very first time it happened.

This happening to anyone? have a service appointment for next Tuesday.

Thats the problem..now the rants....

1. My windows always have streaks in them no matter how much I clean them. Especially the drivers side.

2. Tried 4 different usb thumb drives, still cannot get wallpapers on my navi.

3. Suspension feels very rough on the roads and doesn't handle bumps very well.

4. FM reception is not the best, even though I know in other cars the reception is fine. (I get a lot of static)

5. I knew this already but it bothers me, when its raining out, why don't my headlights turn on automatically and why doesnt this car have rain sensing wipers.

6. last one..now that its getting cold...I notice that the navi screen in full brightness doesn't light up as usual i guess due to the cold weather? Just me on this one?

that's it I'm done...:-)

Last edited by benzboy429; 11-10-2009 at 06:03 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:03 AM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
I'll take a stab at this one.

Originally Posted by benzboy429

1. My windows always have streaks in them no matter how much I clean them. Especially the drivers side.
What are you using to clean them with? Do they streak after rolling them up and down? Get some Stoner's Invisible Glass, great product.
Have those same thumb drives been able to play music? I never saw much point to the wallpaper, they only show if you don't hit OK at the beginning before using the Navi... It's not a background (that would be nice)

It's not a Lexus... Personally I like the road feel, it's what makes the car a sport sedan.
4. FM reception is not the best, even though I know in other cars the reception is fine. (I get a lot of static)
I haven't had much experience with this, between XM and USB music, I haven't even used the FM or AM yet. Anyone else having issues with the radio?
5. I knew this already but it bothers me, when its raining out, why don't my headlights turn on automatically and why doesnt this car have rain sensing wipers.
Do you have your headlights set to auto? They would turn on if it starts to rain, mostly because it gets darker when it rains. I never understood the appeal of the rain sensing wipers... If they can reduce the price of the car by $500 to $1000, I'll flick the wiper switch to turn them on.

6. last one..now that its getting cold...I notice that the navi screen in full brightness doesn't light up as usual i guess due to the cold weather? Just me on this one?
I think this is just the nature of electronics in cold weather, once the car warms up the brightness should return. It did that in my 2007 TL w/ Navi.

As for your startup issue, it sounds like a bad battery. My father in law had the same issue on his LS460 when he bought it, took it back in, they replaced the battery and he was good after that.

Good luck on your service appointment, hope they find the issue.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I can't comment on all your issues as I don't have a Tech.

#4 - Yes, I've noticed this with FM. My '97 Maxima with a stuck half-extended antenna picks up FM better. I don't think these "stubbies" (not just Acura here) are as effective as the traditional antennas.

#6 - There's some good info here.
https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-294/navi-brightness-question-751225/

I want to add one of my own. I have a clucking noise coming from the interior rear passenger side. Dealer tried to fix is once as they thought they located it. It's going back again next week. I know, I know, minor issue but it's the inconvenience.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:07 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kingmeow
I can't comment on all your issues as I don't have a Tech.

#4 - Yes, I've noticed this with FM. My '97 Maxima with a stuck half-extended antenna picks up FM better. I don't think these "stubbies" (not just Acura here) are as effective as the traditional antennas.
Just so you know the antenna is on the rear windshield in between the read defroster, the stub on the top is just for the XM.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Oh, I didn't know that! Thanks.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kingmeow
Oh, I didn't know that! Thanks.
No problem , for the longest on my old car I thought the same thing.

Here's a question for you guys my FM reception sucks also, I have tints and im trying to see if you guys have tints also. I wonder if this could be our problem? Even though I doubt it
Old 11-10-2009, 01:15 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by bagbklyn

Here's a question for you guys my FM reception sucks also, I have tints and im trying to see if you guys have tints also. I wonder if this could be our problem? Even though I doubt it
When I had tints on my 07 TL-S I completely lost my AM radio, but never noticed a problem with the FM...
Old 11-10-2009, 02:46 PM
Burning Brakes

No tint on mine.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:07 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I want to add one of my own. I have a clucking noise coming from the interior rear passenger side.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Any chance you ran over a chicken?
Sorry, but with my terrible sense of humor I couldn't resist.
The following users liked this post:
emanon256 (10-10-2011)
Old 11-10-2009, 04:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BGinMA
I want to add one of my own. I have a clucking noise coming from the interior rear passenger side.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Any chance you ran over a chicken?
Sorry, but with my terrible sense of humor I couldn't resist.
That was a good one! I didn't even spot that typo even after you quoted it!!!! Lucky I didn't say "quacking" LOL!

It's cluNking.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:38 PM
Advanced

just talking about the windows after i get a car wash and hours later rolling them down, I get streaks, but I will try that product.

Yes, all the thumb drives play music but none can upload the wallpapers, i tried everything possible.

The headlights are always on auto, but what i was referencing was when its raining during daylight and i turn on the wipers but the headlights do not auto on.

Also I do not have tints yet, I know sometimes this can mess with reception a little bit, i was aware the shark fin on the roof is only for the xm radio.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:39 PM
Advanced

I'm thinking the car shutting off issue is a battery as well but I hear acura batteries suck so i'm going to request the dealer use something else we'll see how that goes
Old 11-10-2009, 04:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by bagbklyn

If you have metal tint. it will affect AM mostly, but can effect FM as well to a lesser extent. I had the metal tint removed from my rear window and the reception has been very good. I do live in the DC metro area so I am not sure how good the reception really is. I do know my AM was horrible with the metal tint.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:48 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Everyone,

that's it I'm done...:-)
Re: Starting issues: Wow. That sucks, hope a service visit fixes it.

1. Clean them well, allow the car to fully dry before rolling them down and up again. Any moisture or oily grime on the felt side of the window sweeps at the bottom of the sill will cause streaking. They need to be clean and dry too. That can take more than hours since these areas aren't exposed to the sun. I'd give it 6+ hours or more. Otherwise they're gonna streak. And they'll do that on any car.

2. Every USB drive I've tried works. Even MicroUSB chips plugged into adapters and with my BlackBerry Storm via micro-USB cable. Weird. Make sure if you're using an MP3 player or smartphone that you have USB mode enabled, not some other connection method like Windows Media.

3. I have a SH-AWD, so the bumps are expected and, in fact, welcomed!

4. When I lived in LA, the FM reception was crystal clear. We moved to San Francisco and the reception is poor. Depends on the geography. Before I was in a big, wide valley, now I'm surrounded by mountains.

5. As far as the lights, mine turn on when it's cloudy. Check your auto settings to ensure that the level of light it's set to sense is low or medium. My lights even come on when I go under overpasses. As far as the wipers, there is an automatic setting: When the driver sees rain on the windshield he should automatically know to turn on the wipers. C'mon... how lazy are we all that we need automatic wipers? Really? :P

6. The dark navi screen is because of the cold. As it warms up it will get brigher. The colder it is, the more dim the screen. This is normal. It should warm up and get bright within a minute or two.

Last edited by jzacuto; 11-10-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:53 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by petec2010
I'll take a stab at this one.

It's not a Lexus...
And, God willing, it never will be.

The world doesn't need another Barcalounger on wheels!!!
The following users liked this post:
emanon256 (10-10-2011)
Old 11-10-2009, 06:30 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
With regard to the wallpapers, make sure they are right on the root of the thumb drive, with a supported format (JPG or BMP), and that they are the proper size. Images in a directory will not upload.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:56 PM
Racer

For the Tint issue - if I get a Ceramic tint (which is costing me about $150 more) will that keep me away from any radio reception issues?

Or will it be the same thing?
Old 11-11-2009, 06:41 PM
Advanced

Hope my issue of the starting gets fixed.

I would love if someone would be willing to meet up and test their usb drive on my car, because i'm not stupid when it comes to computers and i couldnt get anything to work at all.

In regards to the wipers/headlights, specifically what I meant was during the day (daylight) when it rains and I turn on the wipers, does the car have the capability to automatically turn on the headlights
Old 11-11-2009, 06:42 PM
Instructor

I would love if someone would be willing to meet up and test their usb drive on my car, because i'm not stupid when it comes to computers and i couldnt get anything to work at all.

In regards to the wipers/headlights, specifically what I meant was during the day (daylight) when it rains and I turn on the wipers, does the car have the capability to automatically turn on the headlights
Well where in NY do you live?

I had a lot of issues with mine I had to use an old SD/USB card so it would work. Tried multiple USb sticks
Old 11-11-2009, 06:45 PM
Advanced

queens, howard beach
Old 11-11-2009, 08:51 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by wmahmud
For the Tint issue - if I get a Ceramic tint (which is costing me about $150 more) will that keep me away from any radio reception issues?

Ceramic tint will not affect your radio reception. Ceramic tint is well worth its price. It does a lot in the summer to dissipate heat.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:21 PM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

You should be able to control how sensitive to light changes the headlights are when on "auto". I have not tried it on high, but it may work for rainy day lighting as opposed to sunny day lighting. This setting is in the keyless memory settings on the MID.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:36 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by chaiwala
Ceramic tint will not affect your radio reception. Ceramic tint is well worth its price. It does a lot in the summer to dissipate heat.
I can't stress this enough....we went with the expensive ceramics...I can't believe how much of a difference it makes in heat dissipation....it at 30% is alot better than my Tundra with 10%.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:15 AM
Cruisin'

the FM reception on my car isn't that good. mostly use XM or usb drive.
I get the same thing with my windows and i will try that product.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:36 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by thurley42
I can't stress this enough....we went with the expensive ceramics...I can't believe how much of a difference it makes in heat dissipation....it at 30% is alot better than my Tundra with 10%.
Which kind of ceramic tint did you get? The last tint I got in my leased TL it killed the AM radio. I bought this 4G and want to get some good tint, was thinking the Huper Optik ceramic.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by wmahmud

Ceramic is fine.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:00 PM
Advanced

I have the Huper Optik and I really like it. Just be real careful to pick an installer that is experienced in putting it on and will stand behind their work! It is a thicker film and needs to be applied carefully and patiently by someone who knows what they are doing or you will get ghosting. This is the reason I am driving my second 09TL but this time the Huper Optik was installed correctly.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:16 PM
Advanced

Update on my start up issue - Car is still in service but they just called and said the tech did all his diagnostic tests and tried starting the car over 10 times and could not find nor reproduce the issue. So they aren't doing anything....Any sugguestions before I pick it up?
Old 11-17-2009, 04:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Unfortunately not much. Maybe wait until it happens more consistently. Maybe if it's a wear and tear part that it will eventually wear to the point where it can be reproduced on demand.

Problems that dealers can't reproduce sucks big time!
Old 11-17-2009, 04:30 PM
Advanced

yeah i got a little annoyed on the phone, told them to put the tech on the phone and i nicely tried to fully explain to him the problem since they only write a sentance or 2 on the paperwork. He just called me back again and ran some more tests and nothing came up so i dunno
Old 11-17-2009, 04:57 PM
Burning Brakes

I hear your frustration but if you were in their shoe, if you can't reproduce it where would you even begin to look for a fix?

Unless of course there were being lazy and didn't even try to reproduce it and just threw their hands up. Then it's time for a better dealer.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:39 PM
Advanced

ok check this out just piced up car and this is what they wrote on paper tell me if it makes sense to you guys...

UNABLE TO VERIFY CONCERN, NO BODY CODES STORED. ADVISOR TRIED: WAS ABLE TO VERIFY CONCERN ONLY WHEN FOOT WAS NOT PUSHED FIRMLY ON BRAKE PEDAL. ALL LIGHTS CAME ON, PUSHED BUTTON ALL POWER LOST.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:21 PM
Burning Brakes

That's contradictory the way I read it! First unable to verify then can reproduce? WTF?

I would ask them to explain it verbally what they meant written. Doesn't make sense to me at all! It reads like that they were able to make it cut out.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:45 PM
Racer

ok check this out just piced up car and this is what they wrote on paper tell me if it makes sense to you guys...

UNABLE TO VERIFY CONCERN, NO BODY CODES STORED. ADVISOR TRIED: WAS ABLE TO VERIFY CONCERN ONLY WHEN FOOT WAS NOT PUSHED FIRMLY ON BRAKE PEDAL. ALL LIGHTS CAME ON, PUSHED BUTTON ALL POWER LOST.
I'll take a guess at what they meant. I think they are trying to say that sometimes the owner might think they pressed the brake but it wasn't firm enough so only the 'acc' mode came on when keyless is pressed which is all the electronic functions, then when they pressed the keyless button again all power was gone and car was essentially turned off. Make sense? My best guess
Old 11-20-2009, 09:04 AM
Intermediate

Start-up issue

[quote=benzboy429;11478962]Hey Everyone,

OK let's begin....I unlocked the car from the handle, got in, (with the key in my pocket) and pushed the start button with my foot on the brake. The instruments lite up and turned right back off. I took my foot off the brake reapplied and pushed the button nothing. Tried to turn on an interior light nothing. Got out of car. Hit the lock button my remote got back in applied foot on brake and pressed button and car started. Navi came up and asked for code, lost all my stations and memory for seats. (I know you must be saying that the battery probably died. But this has happened to me about 5 times now with the only exception that it only asked me for the radio code the very first time it happened.

Perhaps I have no place to talk as I have not yet picked up my 2010 TL 6spd MT/HPT and still drive my 3rd generation Type-S. However, from my experience with various keyless entry systems during test drives (different cars), I always had the issue of not pressing the brake pedal hard enough (not used to auto tranny, I always told myself), and the result was what you described. That's all I've got! Good luck.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:00 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I removed my batter to install my intake and never lost any stations, etc. I assumed, because all of that personal data is stored on the car's hard drive.

Based on your description, it sounds like there's either a problem with the computer / hard drive in your car, or there's a short that causing power issues / data loss.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:02 AM
Advanced

well it happened again yesterday, car loses all power but i noticed that the red light on the instrument panel still blinks, could it be a theft alarm issue?
Old 11-21-2009, 03:03 AM
Advanced

khash, yes i press it firmly, thats definitely not the issue, as i tried to reproduce the problem and cant
Old 11-21-2009, 10:06 PM
Advanced

OK, so it happened again, this time the car wont start at all and I have no power at all...waiting for roadside I am home luckily, Heres some videos of what it was doing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RFNQGSj4kc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7E71j6zXww
Old 11-21-2009, 11:52 PM
Racer

Hey at the least NOW you have "video justice". Leave the car alone for say 2 hours and try again and see if it starts. If it does, then you have something draining your battery or a bad alternator. One thing you will come to realize owning a honda product, if you have not in the past, is that its weakest link is the battery. I am going to keep mine in for 3 years then I'll bite the bullet and get an optima.

Quick Reply: Probelm with TL and some rants