Old 03-09-2023, 09:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 387 Likes on 305 Posts
Originally Posted by mossman77
The oil pan.
Old 05-20-2023, 03:50 PM
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts
Timing belt and oil pump job done. Things were dry for a while, but just noticed today there's oil again. Looks like it's the rear main seal, unfortunately. PCV valve is brand new and I'm using high mileage synthetic. Anything else to try before I pay the dealer $1600 to fix it? Any other parts I should have them replace while they are in there?
Old 05-20-2023, 03:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Timing belt and oil pump job done. Things were dry for a while, but just noticed today there's oil again. Looks like it's the rear main seal, unfortunately. PCV valve is brand new and I'm using high mileage synthetic. Anything else to try before I pay the dealer $1600 to fix it? Any other parts I should have them replace while they are in there?
I think it's karma. 🤣
Old 05-20-2023, 04:05 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by altair47
i think it's karma. 🤣
🤪
Old 05-20-2023, 04:10 PM
Pro

Old 05-21-2023, 04:25 PM
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
How much oil is leaking? I'd rather add some oil than pay $1600 to fix it.
Old 05-21-2023, 04:33 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by dregsfan
How much oil is leaking? I'd rather add some oil than pay $1600 to fix it.
About a quart every 1,500 miles. I've been using Castrol GTX high mileage synthetic blend, but just changed to Mobil 1 high mileage full synthetic today to see if that makes any difference (others have said changing to synthetic has slowed or even stopped the leak). I'm hopeful, but doubtful. My concern is the leak will get worse. If this isn't likely, then I would maybe be fine with continuing to add oil as I have been. Although I do plan on keeping the car for a while so I'd just assume get it fixed. Unless there's a chance of it happening again.
The following users liked this post:
Cbble (05-30-2023)
Old 05-30-2023, 08:31 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
About a quart every 1,500 miles. I've been using Castrol GTX high mileage synthetic blend, but just changed to Mobil 1 high mileage full synthetic today to see if that makes any difference (others have said changing to synthetic has slowed or even stopped the leak). I'm hopeful, but doubtful. My concern is the leak will get worse. If this isn't likely, then I would maybe be fine with continuing to add oil as I have been. Although I do plan on keeping the car for a while so I'd just assume get it fixed. Unless there's a chance of it happening again.
So did you find the root cause and fix all the leak after all? I just replaced a PCV valve and about to do those 4 O-rings in the YT video.
Old 05-30-2023, 08:38 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Cbble
So did you find the root cause and fix all the leak after all? I just replaced a PCV valve and about to do those 4 O-rings in the YT video.
Yes, I did. I had multiple leaks. First was the rear valve cover, second was the oil pump, and third was the main rear seal, unfortunately. It's in the shop now for the main rear seal and after that things should be bone dry. I admittedly haven't been paying close enough attention to the PCV and it has never been replaced to my knowledge (at least not since I've owned it). I plan on cleaning it every couple oil changes from now.
Cbble (05-31-2023)
Old 05-31-2023, 06:45 AM
2014 TL

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Yes, I did. I had multiple leaks. First was the rear valve cover, second was the oil pump, and third was the main rear seal, unfortunately. It's in the shop now for the main rear seal and after that things should be bone dry. I admittedly haven't been paying close enough attention to the PCV and it has never been replaced to my knowledge (at least not since I've owned it). I plan on cleaning it every couple oil changes from now.

Don’t know if you mentioned it but just curious what year and how many miles on your engine?
Old 05-31-2023, 06:46 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Frankyy
Don’t know if you mentioned it but just curious what year and how many miles on your engine?
2011 SHAWD with 125k.
Frankyy (05-31-2023)
Old 05-31-2023, 07:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,431 Posts
make sure the shop does the full job with resealing the rear plate along with replacing the rear main seal. Plate is part no 5 in the link below, the rear main seal sits in this:
https://acura.oempartsonline.com/v-2...-block-oil-pan
Old 06-03-2023, 08:00 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by csmeance
make sure the shop does the full job with resealing the rear plate along with replacing the rear main seal. Plate is part no 5 in the link below, the rear main seal sits in this:
https://acura.oempartsonline.com/v-2...-block-oil-pan
They actually replaced the rear plate. I asked why and they say because that's the part that popped up when they entered the job into whatever system they use. Whatever. All is good now.
Old 06-13-2023, 03:47 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Oil leak

I had an very minor oil leak in my 2014 tl 3.7.90k miles. Well maintained At first we changed oil filter housing gasket “spool “ it still had the leak. We then replaced oil pan gasket. It still had the leak. We then replaced the OIL PUMP SEAL. And while there also the CRANK and CAM seals. NO MORE LEAKS.
COST.
oil filter housing spool 130.00 parts and labor.
oil pan gasket 300.00 parts and labor.
oil pump seal and crank seal. And cam seals 1040.00 Parts and labor.
it was difficult to diagnose at first. But all good now.
altair47 (06-13-2023)
Old 06-13-2023, 08:37 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Henry27
I had an very minor oil leak in my 2014 tl 3.7.90k miles. Well maintained At first we changed oil filter housing gasket “spool “ it still had the leak. We then replaced oil pan gasket. It still had the leak. We then replaced the OIL PUMP SEAL. And while there also the CRANK and CAM seals. NO MORE LEAKS.
COST.
oil filter housing spool 130.00 parts and labor.
oil pan gasket 300.00 parts and labor.
oil pump seal and crank seal. And cam seals 1040.00 Parts and labor.
it was difficult to diagnose at first. But all good now.
No timing belt job while they were in there?
dregsfan (06-13-2023)
Old 06-14-2023, 02:20 AM
Cruisin'

Also timing belt was done about 5k miles ago

Also the timing belt was replaced about 5k miles ago. It was removed and replaced during the oil pump seal job. Also I must note I had oil splattered all over the oil pan an tranny. 99% your oil leak is coming from the OIL PUMP SEALS
Old 09-28-2023, 10:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hiiii I have a question I have the same oil leaks you had before you make the rear main seal and all the repairs. I also changed the timing belt kit with all the cam and crank shaft seals oil pump seals and oil filter housing seals and of course oil pan gasket with Honda bond gasket maker but I still have oil leak by the oil pan and transmission not as before but I still see oil in there. So my question is after you changed everything but before changing the rear main seal does the oil leak was by the oil pan and drain bolt and transmission or you just had it by the tranny and engine rear main seal check compartment? Thank you.
Old 09-28-2023, 11:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Hansell M Disla
hiiii I have a question I have the same oil leaks you had before you make the rear main seal and all the repairs. I also changed the timing belt kit with all the cam and crank shaft seals oil pump seals and oil filter housing seals and of course oil pan gasket with Honda bond gasket maker but I still have oil leak by the oil pan and transmission not as before but I still see oil in there. So my question is after you changed everything but before changing the rear main seal does the oil leak was by the oil pan and drain bolt and transmission or you just had it by the tranny and engine rear main seal check compartment? Thank you.
It looks like a mistake was made somewhere and some of the work was done with a defect. You need diagnostics, complete cleaning and careful monitoring of the source of the leak.
Old 09-29-2023, 02:37 PM
Cruisin'

Hope this helps you

After your work was done you should have had the undercarriage steam cleaned and then see if you still have a leak. If you park car on driveway or in garage put cat litter down over old oil leaks. Then you will be able to tell if it’s still leaking or it’s just residual oil. If you still have a leak after oil pump seal and all other gaskets done. Then I would say the rear main seal may be suspect.
Old 09-29-2023, 08:03 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Henry27
After your work was done you should have had the undercarriage steam cleaned and then see if you still have a leak. If you park car on driveway or in garage put cat litter down over old oil leaks. Then you will be able to tell if it’s still leaking or it’s just residual oil. If you still have a leak after oil pump seal and all other gaskets done. Then I would say the rear main seal may be suspect.
hiii thanks for the info. Yes I still have the oil leak but it doesn’t go to the floor you only can see the oil pan and tranny wet like fresh oil I also did clean with brake cleaner but it kind of weird because when I went underneath the car I see the oil coming down by the rear engine mount bracket. That area looks wet but I’m pretty sure the leaks is not from timing belt compartment no more. It was leaking from there but my mechanic says he was really sure it wasn’t leaking from the oil pump seal but I still changed . He did said that was leaking from the oil filter housing gasket. I’mma take some pictures of the leak.
Old 09-29-2023, 09:06 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hansell M Disla
hiii thanks for the info. Yes I still have the oil leak but it doesn’t go to the floor you only can see the oil pan and tranny wet like fresh oil I also did clean with brake cleaner but it kind of weird because when I went underneath the car I see the oil coming down by the rear engine mount bracket. That area looks wet but I’m pretty sure the leaks is not from timing belt compartment no more. It was leaking from there but my mechanic says he was really sure it wasn’t leaking from the oil pump seal but I still changed . He did said that was leaking from the oil filter housing gasket. I’mma take some pictures of the leak.

In this picture the arrow number 2 showed that wet spot I have. But i don’t know why it’s wet there because that’s where the rear engine mount goes.

I see the oil coming from the top of the arrow showed in the picture. And that goes to the oil pan like it’s showed in the image.