New Owner/Member - Have found some issues (Leaks)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 01:05 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy New Owner/Member - Have found some issues (Leaks)

Greetings all,

I recently purchased a 2012 TL SH-AWD 6MT with 78000 miles. I set up an appointment at the dealer for an oil consumption test and a B12 service for this coming week. Tonight I decided to look everything over well to see if there was anything I wanted to bring to their attention while they've got it in the shop. I thought I looked stuff over pretty well when test driving, but I did not put the car it up in the air. Unfortunately tonight I found a few areas of concern. Pictures and descriptions of issues below.

1) Oil leaking from transmission. It is black and somewhat sticky, I assume it's M/T fluid. I removed the little black cover and took a couple pictures. Thoughts on where this could be coming from? Anyone had this problem? Any idea at how much I'm looking at to fix it? Major or minor concern? I've owned a few M/T Hondas, 03' 5MT Civic Coupe, 06' 6MT Civic SI, 14' 6MT Accord Sport and I've never seen any oil leak from the transmission. Pics 1 - 3

2) Some form of grease or oil appears to be leaking from what appears to be a support bearing for the passenger side half-shaft. I haven't noticed any abnormal noise. Thoughts or concerns with this? Pics 4 & 5.

3) Some oil seeping/leaking from above oil pan seal on passenger side. Possibly timing chain cover. (Any thoughts on if they'll make me fix this seep before performing the consumption test? Pic 6

4) Coolant level was below MIN level in tank. I filled it up and checked the radiator level. Added a few ounces to the radiator. Couldn't see any obvious leaks. I guess I'll find out if it's internal at the oil change this week. Any concerns of head gasket failures on these cars?

Thanks all in advance for your time! I love the car so far, but these findings have given me some concern and trepidation. I'm going to point all these things out at the service center, but I'm just looking for an idea of cost that may be associated with some of these issues.

2)

Old 04-27-2019, 06:36 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
that's not MT oil, that's engine oil.

you're going to be looking above for the leak...perhaps the valve covers? perhaps cam seal o ring????
Old 04-27-2019, 09:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
4) I've never heard of of a Acura/Honda J engine having a failed head gasket. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen but it's not common.
It is common for trapped air to take a month or two to bleed out of the system after a coolant change.
Fill the overflow tank to the Max level and check it once a week or so and refill as necessary.
If you have to fill more than 5 or 6 times you might have a problem.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:37 AM
6th Gear

The engine side side of the interior appeared to be clean. I didn’t see anything on top of the mission. I’ll have to look again tonight.

Originally Posted by justnspace
that's not MT oil, that's engine oil.

you're going to be looking above for the leak...perhaps the valve covers? perhaps cam seal o ring????
Old 04-27-2019, 11:54 AM
6th Gear

Good, I’ll wait and see if they find anything of concern.

Originally Posted by Reorge
4) I've never heard of of a Acura/Honda J engine having a failed head gasket. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen but it's not common.
It is common for trapped air to take a month or two to bleed out of the system after a coolant change.
Fill the overflow tank to the Max level and check it once a week or so and refill as necessary.
If you have to fill more than 5 or 6 times you might have a problem.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:59 AM
6th Gear

Some follow-up after the dealer visit

1) transmission input shaft seal is leaking. Rear main seal seeping. Scheduled to repair in a couple weeks when I’m on vacation as it is quite a fix and they want it for two days. Tech stated there appeared to be oil on the clutch friction disc and recommended replacement of this if that is the case. So they may be ordering that as well. $550 to $1000 depending on clutch.

2) service stated not to worry about unless I notice accompanying noise/vibration

3)main oil leak was from oil drain bolt cross thread, they attempted to chase but then could not get torque, replaced oil pan. $225
secondary leaks from higher up were two main bearing cap bolts. They removed and sealed these. $35.

4) they pressure tested the coolant system and found no leaks. according to vin service info coolant service was done previously and it is possible there was an air bubble as Reorge stated. Told me to keep an eye on level.

I’m 600 miles in to the oil consumption test and there is no discernible change on the dipstick.

Thanks for your thoughts. Thought I’d fill you in on the outcome.