Moon roof issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 10:30 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Moon roof issue

So it was nice weather in MA yesterday so I decided to open the moon roof. When I got home, I couldn’t close it. Every time I tried to close it, it would pop back up. I tried both with the engine running and when it was off just to see if that made a difference. I was parked at the time and it just would not close. I even tried to open it all the way, and nothing. Looked at the tracks to see if something was stuck in there and they were clean.

I was all set to drive to the dealer today, but on my way, I tired it one more time and its working perfectly.

Anyone see this before? If I take it to the dealer and they can’t reproduce it, I’m wasting my time.

Any suggestions?
Old 10-29-2009, 06:00 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by couch257
So it was nice weather in MA yesterday so I decided to open the moon roof. When I got home, I couldn’t close it. Every time I tried to close it, it would pop back up. I tried both with the engine running and when it was off just to see if that made a difference. I was parked at the time and it just would not close. I even tried to open it all the way, and nothing. Looked at the tracks to see if something was stuck in there and they were clean.

I was all set to drive to the dealer today, but on my way, I tired it one more time and its working perfectly.

Anyone see this before? If I take it to the dealer and they can’t reproduce it, I’m wasting my time.

Any suggestions?
The only thing I can think of is that maybe the sensitivity for it to retract if it hit's an object is a little too sensitive. I know sometimes in my 05 TL if I was driving over 85mph it wouldn’t close until I slowed down a bit. It would get half way then retract back open like it hit something. All that wind was enough to set it off, yours might just be bad. However, you say pop back up so I’m guessing it is in the tilt position? If that is the case, I would open it completely then try to close it instead of going from tilt to close.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:38 PM
My beer fridge is in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i have noticed that if my moon roof shade isn't all the way pushed back, sometimes it might not close all the way. Usually this only happens if i don't open it all the way.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:48 AM
Advanced

There is a way to calibrate it to the open and closed positions that the dealer is supposed to do prior to delivery. It's in the predelivery checklist TSB . I'll try to find it and post (it's on my other computer)
Old 10-30-2009, 03:19 PM
Advanced

Try the calibration method shown on page three of the following:

http://www.in.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/SB/B08-042.pdf
Old 11-01-2009, 06:36 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hondasforme
However, you say pop back up so I’m guessing it is in the tilt position? If that is the case, I would open it completely then try to close it instead of going from tilt to close.
It was in the tilt position but I couldn't do anything with it. I tried fully opening it and trying to close it, but it would just pop back up. When I was driving the next morning, I was able to finally close it. Seems to be OK now and I will still have the dealer look at it next time I'm there, but I'm nervous that this will happen again.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
not to sound rude, but were you using the button the right way? IF the button is pushed up, it'll open and pop up as was happening to you. If you slide it forward, it will close, and slide back it will open up.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:48 AM
Advanced

Good question and yes I was using the button correctly. I even got out of the car and tried using the key fob to open all the windows and the sunroof. The windows worked fine but the moonroof tried to close but kept tilting up. I would have thought something was blocking the moon roof or was in the tracks but all was clear.