Messed with clutch engagement point and now there's a grinding noise.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 08:05 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Messed with clutch engagement point and now there's a grinding noise.

Was attempting to adjust the clutch so it didn't engage so high, got it where I wanted but now there's a metallic grinding noise under acceleration and I'm getting a hill start assist warning now and then. How bad did I mess up ...
Old 01-29-2022, 12:27 PM
6th Gear

Clutch engagement issues

I have considered doing what you have already done. The clutch engages way too late for my liking. It is at the very end of the pedal's travel. As far from the floor as possible. I hate that. My toyota and my Honda engage earlier, about midway, but closer to the floor. I want to make that adjustment for the TL also, but am afraid of doing what you described. It sounds like the clutch plate is hitting the flywheel right? Any more info? Any recommendations for others who might want to adjust theirs? Do you feel like you overadjusted?
Old 02-23-2022, 12:53 AM
6th Gear

Update?

Update? Did you find a fix or dial it back?
Old 03-04-2022, 07:55 PM
8th Gear

Thanks to this forum I have kicked around the idea of doing this to my beloved '14 since reading about it. Now am reconsidering doing it myself, I got as far as taking the plastic off lol. I have an awesome Acura service manager that I am going to ask about this and will try to report back next week
Old 03-04-2022, 11:35 PM
6th Gear

Yes, please update. I love the TL SH-AWD engine and acceleration, but the high engagement point and hard to feel clutch makes it less enjoyable to me and I have been driving manual/standard for over 20 years. I find myself choosing to drive my MDX or my other manual transmission beater because the TL's clutch isn't as intuitive or fun or driver focused.
Old 03-10-2022, 12:55 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,169 Likes on 879 Posts
I would not adjust the clutch engagement closer to the floor, outside the recommended windows.

I know some of you massive weirdo's like the clutch to engage like it does on a tractor...but you will put a significant amount of wear on the synchros and transmission as a whole if you do this.
Old 03-10-2022, 02:27 PM
6th Gear

...helpful feedback?

Originally Posted by BROlando
I would not adjust the clutch engagement closer to the floor, outside the recommended windows.

I know some of you massive weirdo's like the clutch to engage like it does on a tractor...but you will put a significant amount of wear on the synchros and transmission as a whole if you do this.
I do not think it is weird to expect the clutch to engage earlier than the very top of the clutch pedal's travel. I am looking for a nice middle engagement or earlier than it currently is (too high). This slight adjustment is within what most may be considered the recommended window (closer to the middle). Late engagement is typically representative of a worn clutch. The clutch for mine was replaced just before I bought it. It should not be weird to expect the engagement point to be middle or earlier in the clutch pedal's travel. I don't think it is particularly helpful or beneficial to join the conversation and simply label people hoping to enjoy their TL's as a weirdo. Not helpful, Bro.