Low Oil Warning

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 07:59 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Low Oil Warning

For the second time in about 6 weeks, while traveling on the highway at ~70 mph, a message has popped up on the screen saying there is a warning light on (2010 TL, SH-AWD). I don't actually see a light but I select the option to have the message read and it says I have low oil and I need to pull over immediately. The first time I pulled off as soon as I could and my oil was low on the stick but within the acceptable range. I topped it off later that day. Yesterday I continued on and checked the oil level after work. It was low again on the stick but still acceptable. I never do actually see any lights and I am not due for an oil change. I will call the dealer later to have it checked but was wondering if there were any thoughts here? Oil pump? Bad sensor? It has only happened twice and both at highway speeds. Thanks
Old 12-04-2015, 10:45 AM
2011 SH-AWD 6MT

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by sehale
For the second time in about 6 weeks, while traveling on the highway at ~70 mph, a message has popped up on the screen saying there is a warning light on (2010 TL, SH-AWD). I don't actually see a light but I select the option to have the message read and it says I have low oil and I need to pull over immediately. The first time I pulled off as soon as I could and my oil was low on the stick but within the acceptable range. I topped it off later that day. Yesterday I continued on and checked the oil level after work. It was low again on the stick but still acceptable. I never do actually see any lights and I am not due for an oil change. I will call the dealer later to have it checked but was wondering if there were any thoughts here? Oil pump? Bad sensor? It has only happened twice and both at highway speeds. Thanks
A search on this subforum would help but to keep it short, the 3.7l motor in our cars have a tendency to burn oil. It's a point of contention and confusion as to why it's happening and Honda/Acura hasn't really done anything about it acknowledgement wise but with some digging on the boards here you will find several owners who have had there engines replaced once, twice, three times in some cases.

Going forward, I recommend checking your oil level at ever gas fill up. My car burns oil and it seems to get worse later in the OCI (oil change interval), after the oil has broken in. I make sure to always top it off and I've never had the low oil light indicator come up on my car. Is the oil shearing? Possibly. Does it have to do with the Nikasil coated cylinder walls? Maybe. The long story short is that these engines burn oil.

You could try a higher weight/viscosity oil as some members have chosen to do but they may run the risk of warranty claims down the road.

Wish I had a better answer, but that's all I've got for now.
The following users liked this post:
sehale (12-04-2015)
Old 12-04-2015, 12:13 PM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Does this vehicle actually have a "low oil level" light, or was this the "low oil pressure" light that was coming on.

Up to now I was only aware of the Subaru's offering a low level warning light.
sehale (12-04-2015)
Old 12-04-2015, 01:33 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
Does this vehicle actually have a "low oil level" light, or was this the "low oil pressure" light that was coming on.

Actually, neither that I can find. I was driving and the map screen popped up with the message with words to the effect of, "there is a dashboard indicator light on..." and I could select an option to have the message read to me. I never saw a light (and still don't). The voice message said my oil level was low and to pull over as quickly/safely as possible and call for assistance. There was also an on-screen option to call my local Acura dealer (or something like that). I am hoping the dealer can pull a code and see what was up. My oil "gauge" says I am at 60%.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:35 PM
2011 SH-AWD 6MT

Originally Posted by RDX-Rick

That's correct. Low oil pressure. And by that time, the engine is already starved for oil so damage may have already occurred.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:37 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ABDomega
A search on this subforum would help but to keep it short, the 3.7l motor in our cars have a tendency to burn oil. It's a point of contention and confusion as to why it's happening and Honda/Acura hasn't really done anything about it acknowledgement wise but with some digging on the boards here you will find several owners who have had there engines replaced once, twice, three times in some cases.

Going forward, I recommend checking your oil level at ever gas fill up. My car burns oil and it seems to get worse later in the OCI (oil change interval), after the oil has broken in. I make sure to always top it off and I've never had the low oil light indicator come up on my car. Is the oil shearing? Possibly. Does it have to do with the Nikasil coated cylinder walls? Maybe. The long story short is that these engines burn oil.

You could try a higher weight/viscosity oil as some members have chosen to do but they may run the risk of warranty claims down the road.

Wish I had a better answer, but that's all I've got for now.

Thanks for the quick reply but I did search the forum and have been following the oil burning threads. I didn't find any previous threads pertinent to my situation nor did I see a similar issue with the oil burning discussions. Since it was substantively different, I started my own thread. I will bring it to the dealer Monday and post back with what they say. It is interesting that the two times it has showed up were when I was driving at highway speeds. And there is no history/light/etc. that I can find to show the problem. In early September I drove it up from DE to ME and back (400+ miles each way) with no issues.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:37 PM
2011 SH-AWD 6MT

Actually, neither that I can find. I was driving and the map screen popped up with the message with words to the effect of, "there is a dashboard indicator light on..." and I could select an option to have the message read to me. I never saw a light (and still don't). The voice message said my oil level was low and to pull over as quickly/safely as possible and call for assistance. There was also an on-screen option to call my local Acura dealer (or something like that). I am hoping the dealer can pull a code and see what was up. My oil "gauge" says I am at 60%.
The "gauge" you speak of is the oil life indicator which doesn't seem to predict or correlate to oil level aside from the fact that consumption increases later in the OCI.

I recommend checking your level at every fill up or at least every 500 miles.

Last edited by ABDomega; 12-04-2015 at 01:40 PM.
sehale (12-04-2015)
Old 12-04-2015, 02:32 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
When you said the oil level was acceptable, does it mean the oil level is at the top, middle, or bottom of the dip stick markings ?
Old 12-04-2015, 02:36 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
When you said the oil level was acceptable, does it mean the oil level is at the top, middle, or bottom of the dip stick markings ?
Just above the bottom low level mark on the stick. I guess you could call it low but I went with acceptable since it was in "range." I got to where I was going, let it sit for about 12 hours, checked it when I came out. Appointment is made for 8 AM Monday.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:34 PM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
I too just a week or so ago saw the "Low Oil Level" message come up on my care (2010 TL-SHAWD w/Tech). There were no dashboard lights, especial not the low oil pressure light. It was just as the OP described - as a message to read on the screen. My oil level was at the low end of the "range" on the dipstick and I too was near the end of the "oil life" a/c the MID (15%) I added about 1/2 qt. to get it the oil level up to where it should be, drove 1,200 on a Thanksgiving trip with the oil level fine at each fill-up and then changed the oil when I returned home (with the MID now at 5%).
sehale (12-05-2015)
Old 12-04-2015, 09:52 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
Just above the bottom low level mark on the stick. I guess you could call it low but I went with acceptable since it was in "range." I got to where I was going, let it sit for about 12 hours, checked it when I came out. Appointment is made for 8 AM Monday.
When the oil level hits the bottom marking on the dipstick, it means you need to add oil to the car; because if the oil gets sloshed around while the car is in motion, and it may not give enough safety margin for proper engine lubrication.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:56 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,392 Likes on 644 Posts
See TSB 09-012 - MID or Navi Shows a Check Engine Oil Level Message, Low Oil Pressure Indicator May Be On.
https://acurazine.com/forums/problem.../#post15270289

Last edited by EE4Life; 12-04-2015 at 09:59 PM.
sehale (12-05-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 08:31 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by EE4Life
See TSB 09-012 - MID or Navi Shows a Check Engine Oil Level Message, Low Oil Pressure Indicator May Be On.
https://acurazine.com/forums/problem.../#post15270289
This has to be it! Thanks. I didn't search for "check engine light." I printed this and will bring it with me.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts
Slightly off topic and I know this has been discussed in other threads, but MHO it is not "prudent" to let the oil life get down to 5%. I never let mine go below 50%. For the cost of a DIY oil change, are you really saving money? I have had several vehicles in the past go to 300,000 km and beyond with no engine issues. Clean oil is your friend.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:20 PM
J37A5

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
^.....^....^....This. I am a 3 months/3000 miles guy. Some here think that's overkill. I don't. With an oil-thirsty J37A4, it just makes even more sense. I check the oil in the J37A4 every other Sunday and top it off because it needs it....even with the new short block.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:21 PM
Advanced

As EE4Life shared, it turned out to be a faulty oil pressure switch. Replaced in about 1.5 hours under warranty. Thanks to all for the helpful advice.
The following 2 users liked this post by sehale:
bigwavedave25 (09-24-2019), jim_c (12-13-2015)
Old 12-07-2015, 04:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts
Interesting. Thanks for posting.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:35 PM
2011 SH-AWD 6MT

As EE4Life shared, it turned out to be a faulty oil pressure switch. Replaced in about 1.5 hours under warranty. Thanks to all for the helpful advice.
Congrats! Good for you it wasn't the oil consumption that plagues so many of our cars.
Old 09-03-2022, 01:15 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Just an update on my daughter's 2015 RDX. She came home to visit for this holiday weekend. It turns out she had 12,069 miles on that last oil change prior to me changing it today.. Her RDX has 133,544 miles on it and the oil level was still full and didn't look very dark in color considering having just over 12,000 miles. She did not have to add any oil in between changes.
I repeated the oil change recipe that I've done for this vehicle ever since she acquired it with 60,000 miles. This time all I could find was the Mobil 1 "High Mileage" Extended Performance 0W-20 and the matching Mobil 1 Oil Filter. Along with the oil plug washer torqued to 29 ft. lbs.

Last edited by JS2194; 09-03-2022 at 01:17 PM.
Frankyy (09-04-2022)