Key stuck in ignition, dash clicking, lights blinking

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 05:54 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
Key stuck in ignition, dash clicking, lights blinking

I was doing an oil change on my 09, my 3 year old was in the car.

When I go to reset the mid, I realize the interior is clicking like crazy, and find that he put the key fob into the key slot, I can't get it out, it's locked hard and the car is going bonkers, lights blinking and lots of clicking from the dash.

I'm going to start by disconnecting the battery, If anyone has any ideas let me know!

Thanks
Old 10-16-2011, 06:12 PM
Racer

Battery did nothing. Charged it as well nothing. Looks like the key is stuck upside down. Fuuuuun
Old 10-16-2011, 08:49 PM
WDP 4G

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
Theres no way the key can be stuck upside down. the key goes in either side. Did you leave any lights or accessories on while you were changing your oil? That happened to me on my 09 but I was not changing my oil.

It happened while my parents tried to start it up(I had driven the car 5 hours ago) wouldn't start up, constant clicking noise coming from somewhere. I disconnected the battery and that stopped the clicking. Had a friend come boost me but that wasn't working at first either. We clamped the cables on and let it run for bout 3 mins. Tried to start it but no go. Friend told me to rev his car to 2.5k rpm and keep it there and he finally started my car back up.

If your TL is a 09 you can bring your car back to the dealership and have them replace the battery at no charge. There is a 4 year warranty on the Acura battery if it fails just bring it back and they're supposed to give you a new one
Old 10-16-2011, 09:30 PM
Racer

Easy, your on the right track. The key was totally stuck in the dash. I ended up removing the metal key part. And then using pliars to pull it out. Not sure what my son did, but he got it wrecked in their. The interior of the key hole seems to be damaged now.

Car still would not start. I ended up disconnecting for the battery for a longer time, reconnected to no avail. So re-connected it to jump off vehicle, this time it came up. Once it came online, I saw that he had left the seat heat on, (a quick battery drainer) So it was a combination problem of a stuck key + dead battery.

Lesson learned, don't let your 3 year loose in your car!
The following users liked this post:
TinyRK (10-17-2011)
Old 10-17-2011, 10:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by wakattack
Easy, your on the right track. The key was totally stuck in the dash. I ended up removing the metal key part. And then using pliars to pull it out. Not sure what my son did, but he got it wrecked in their. The interior of the key hole seems to be damaged now.

Car still would not start. I ended up disconnecting for the battery for a longer time, reconnected to no avail. So re-connected it to jump off vehicle, this time it came up. Once it came online, I saw that he had left the seat heat on, (a quick battery drainer) So it was a combination problem of a stuck key + dead battery.

Lesson learned, don't let your 3 year loose in your car!
They like to put sandwiches in the VCR and pop-tarts in the DVD player too.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:10 AM
WDP 4G

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
Thats a bummer lol. I had my battery replaced by my dealership as soon as I got my car started again. Wouldn't want to go some where and have it not start
Old 10-17-2011, 03:38 PM
Autofahrer

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by wakattack
I was doing an oil change on my 09, my 3 year old was in the car.

When I go to reset the mid, I realize the interior is clicking like crazy, and find that he put the key fob into the key slot, I can't get it out, it's locked hard and the car is going bonkers, lights blinking and lots of clicking from the dash.

I'm going to start by disconnecting the battery, If anyone has any ideas let me know!

Thanks

Sorry, you're an idiot!
What the EFF were you thinking to let your 3 year old with the key alone in your car? Especially while you were changing the oil? I mean, you are under the car... He's in the car...

A lot's of buttons to push, car turns on, gas, AWD and wrum! A thousand things can happen there... So sorry, you got away with a blue eye/ broken key/ ignition what ever. I hope you learned your lesson!

But seriously! What the F*#@K!

[\dramamode off]

Last edited by TinyRK; 10-17-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:46 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by TinyRK
Sorry, you're an idiot!
What the EFF were you thinking to let your 3 year old with the key alone in your car? Especially while you were changing the oil? I mean, you are under the car... He's in the car...

A lot's of buttons to push, car turns on, gas, AWD and wrum! A thousand things can happen there... So sorry, you got away with a blue eye/ broken key/ ignition what ever. I hope you learned your lesson!

[\dramamode off]

ditto,

your under car + car is fully connected to the battery +3 year old has the keys, puts it in iginition = death.

be smarter next time, that is why they invented child play pen and toys.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:15 PM
Racer

Well, yes you got me there. Although he wasn't in the car while I was changing the oil, he got in after I had put the car back down. The emergency brake was up, and it would be difficult for him to actually start the car, but nonetheless, things do happen. Thanks for the smacks.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:27 PM
Banned

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts
Sorry, you're an idiot!

[\dramamode off]

Yeah because his GIANT 3 yearold can reach the brake pedal and put the car in drive. Lighten up a bit.
wakattack (10-19-2011)
Old 10-18-2011, 03:50 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by combat mediC
Yeah because his GIANT 3 yearold can reach the brake pedal and put the car in drive. Lighten up a bit.

i clearly remember the car moves when its on drive gear without pressing the pedal... lol
Old 10-18-2011, 05:23 PM
Autofahrer

You'll be surprised what a 3 year old is capable of! They're like monkeys. They keep trying, because they're trying to copy their dad.

He can stand on the pedal and move the gearstick... Maybe, maybe not.
We don't know.... THANK GOD!

Doesn't matter. A kid has nothing to do in a car with the keys!
So maybe you lighten up a bit.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:24 PM
Banned

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts
Sorry, you're an idiot!

[\dramamode off]

Doesn't matter. A kid has nothing to do in a car with the keys!
So maybe you lighten up a bit.

Seriously? Grow the fuck up kid. I was being respectful to you, and the OP. He obviously learned his lesson. He doesn't need some douchebag like yourself reiterating his mistake. He asked about the broken ignition. He was kind enough to share how it broke. So stfu.

And as you put it "A kid has nothing to do in a car with the keys!"
Wtf is the supposed to mean? Do you mean, There is no reason a kid should be left alone in a car w/ the keys? Or do you mean A kid in a car with keys is bored and there is nothing to do?

You sir, are an idiot.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:28 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by potmilkz
i clearly remember the car moves when its on drive gear without pressing the pedal... lol
Is that a manual trans? Mine is not a AWD, and is a auto. It won't go anywhere until you hold the pedal down, hit the start button for about 2 seconds, and while still holding the brake, shift down from park. Not saying it couldn't happen, but it would be super difficult for my little guy to pull it off.

Please play nice and stay classy. We are Acura enthusiast after all.
TinyRK (10-19-2011)
Old 10-19-2011, 07:57 AM
Autofahrer

Seriously? Grow the fuck up kid. I was being respectful to you, and the OP. He obviously learned his lesson. He doesn't need some douchebag like yourself reiterating his mistake. He asked about the broken ignition. He was kind enough to share how it broke. So stfu.

And as you put it "A kid has nothing to do in a car with the keys!"
Wtf is the supposed to mean? Do you mean, There is no reason a kid should be left alone in a car w/ the keys? Or do you mean A kid in a car with keys is bored and there is nothing to do?

You sir, are an idiot.
You ask me to be respectful? Haha. And I am not a kid... So please!
And your avatar tells stories.

And yes, I do mean, that a 3 year old shouldn't be left alone in a car. Am I not entitled to my opinion? And since you're 11, you should be in one as well!

My 1st post was aimed at the OP, the 2nd one was aimed at you, so how about reading and stay on topic without getting personal?

He admitted he learned his lesson, but you clearly didn't. Geez...
Sometimes I am scratching my head about guys like you.

God bless your heart, troll!
combat mediC (10-19-2011)
Old 10-19-2011, 08:53 AM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Alright guys, this has gotten completely out of hand.

I'm closing this thread and dealing with it after work. If you guys wants to scream and cuss at each other, do it in a Personnal Message-NOT on the forums.
wakattack (10-19-2011)