Flashing green key light on dash cranks but won’t start. :/ something I can do to fix

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 04:00 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flashing green key light on dash cranks but won’t start. :/ something I can do to fix

Hello ! My name is Andrew. I hobbies include but not limited to learning new skills and saving a lot of money by doing most/all of the work done to my car myself. I just bought a 2009 Acura TL. I am in need of immediate assistance with an issue if possible. The battery was dead. Was still under warranty. replaced that right away but it won’t start. It cranks, has enough power and compression it seems. I located the fuse to the fuel pump and switched it with another fuse that wasn’t needed to start the car. Still the same thing. Sprayed starting fluid into the carb and it got it to start up for a moment. Correct me if I’m wrong but this means it is most likely a fuel issue. Perhaps my fuel pump is going bad. On top of that I just noticed last night that the green key signal on dash flashes every time I put in the key and try to turn it on. Again, it just crank and. Cranks and just doesn’t turn over. But the green key signal continues to flash and doesn’t seem to stop. From what I’ve read this means that there is a key immobilizer issue. Meaning that the thing that reads the chip in the key is not reading the key properly. I am wondering if it is possible that the key has to be reprogrammed because it sat with a dead battery for a couple weeks before I got it? And is there something I can do myself to at least temporarily fix this issue until I can get it to a locksmith or someone else who might have the equipment, if nessacary, to fix this problem? Thanks in advance for your help and It is a pleasure to be in communication with a group of enthusiasts such as yourselves.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:16 PM
Administrator

Received 1,002 Likes on 572 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Since this is a topic/technical issue which will require replies, and not a "New Member Introduction", this thread has been moved to the model specific forum.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:05 AM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
Check your ecu fuse? Flashing key is the immobilizer
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (06-05-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 10:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Sounds like the car isn't reading the chip in the immobilizer. My recommendation before you have to head to the dealer is get the battery charged and/or replaced and lock the car (all doors and hood closed, windows can be open) with the fob/remote. Wait about 30-45 seconds and unlock the car with the key in the remote by using the cylinder in the drivers door. Then put it back into the key FOB and try to start the car.

Sometimes the car's alarm will get messed up. It thinks the car is locked (car was locked when it had power) and then you unlocked it when it had no power. Car thinks it's locked and trying to be stolen.

Worst case, the immobilizer needs to be programed and only acura can do that as far as I'm aware if you have the keyless access (leave fob in pocket and use start/stop button)
Old 06-08-2018, 06:21 PM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
I can program immbolizer but check how much to see the dealership,is charging
Old 04-30-2019, 05:06 PM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Green key and fuel

you need the key reprogrammed, you vehicle forgot the key program.
Originally Posted by andrewmc
Hello ! My name is Andrew. I hobbies include but not limited to learning new skills and saving a lot of money by doing most/all of the work done to my car myself. I just bought a 2009 Acura TL. I am in need of immediate assistance with an issue if possible. The battery was dead. Was still under warranty. replaced that right away but it won’t start. It cranks, has enough power and compression it seems. I located the fuse to the fuel pump and switched it with another fuse that wasn’t needed to start the car. Still the same thing. Sprayed starting fluid into the carb and it got it to start up for a moment. Correct me if I’m wrong but this means it is most likely a fuel issue. Perhaps my fuel pump is going bad. On top of that I just noticed last night that the green key signal on dash flashes every time I put in the key and try to turn it on. Again, it just crank and. Cranks and just doesn’t turn over. But the green key signal continues to flash and doesn’t seem to stop. From what I’ve read this means that there is a key immobilizer issue. Meaning that the thing that reads the chip in the key is not reading the key properly. I am wondering if it is possible that the key has to be reprogrammed because it sat with a dead battery for a couple weeks before I got it? And is there something I can do myself to at least temporarily fix this issue until I can get it to a locksmith or someone else who might have the equipment, if nessacary, to fix this problem? Thanks in advance for your help and It is a pleasure to be in communication with a group of enthusiasts such as yourselves.