My 2000 TL won't start Green Key Light Not turning on my dash (HELP!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 09:13 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2000 TL won't start Green Key Light Not turning on my dash (HELP!)

Ok so A few weeks ago I removed the battery to my tl, After that has this problem that the green key does not show on my dash. Sometimes the green key appears sometimes No And when it does not appear it does not turn on de car. The battery is fine and the starter,,,,All de fuse are ok to.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:14 AM
Unregistered Member

Received 555 Likes on 445 Posts
Welcome to AZine.

Having a little trouble understanding your English, but I think I got the gist of it. It seems like you're having an immobilizer issue. Can you clarify what you mean by the key not appearing? Even if you use the wrong key, the light should still be flashing in the dash. If the immobilizer recognizes the key, it should stop flashing.

So this problem started when you removed the battery? Why was the battery removed from the car?
Old 06-13-2017, 12:49 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Karanx7
Welcome to AZine.

Having a little trouble understanding your English, but I think I got the gist of it. It seems like you're having an immobilizer issue. Can you clarify what you mean by the key not appearing? Even if you use the wrong key, the light should still be flashing in the dash. If the immobilizer recognizes the key, it should stop flashing.

So this problem started when you removed the battery? Why was the battery removed from the car?
The battery was removed because i change the vtec sensor and someone told me to remove the battery for turning off the check engine.

I mean, the key does not appear. By the green light not showing up in my dash

​​​​​​thanks for helping
Old 06-13-2017, 01:15 AM
Unregistered Member

This video shows what it should look like when your immobilizer doesn't work, and when it does work. Does your car look like either of those scenarios?

If you're saying that the green light doesn't show up at all, then there's an electrical open somewhere. Does the starter crank when the car doesn't start?
The following users liked this post:
frankjnjr (05-12-2018)
Old 06-13-2017, 01:26 AM
7th Gear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzXlXbiNmrg

This video shows what it should look like when your immobilizer doesn't work, and when it does work. Does your car look like either of those scenarios?

If you're saying that the green light doesn't show up at all, then there's an electrical open somewhere. Does the starter crank when the car doesn't start?
No my car dont look either those scenarios,,

In my case the green light doesn't show up at all, Yes the starter cranks fine but the car doesn't start.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:05 PM
5th Gear

Immobilizer light

I have this very same/slightly different issue with my 03. When this problem began, there was no particular cause, or anything I had specially changed or disconnected. Out of frustration though, I bopped the top of the dashboard and the green light came on. It has gotten progressively worse since. Now, she cuts off while I'm driving. The light is intermittent. Somehow, by hitting it, I was jostling something, I just dont know what. A shadetree (mech) tried to show me a bundle of wires beneath the dash that I could alter. Can this be easily fixed?
Old 06-13-2017, 01:08 PM
5th Gear

Oh, by the way, I already replaced the ignition switch.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,583 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Originally Posted by Acuratl2000smurf

In my case the green light doesn't show up at all, Yes the starter cranks fine but the car doesn't start.

Try charging the battery or getting a new one.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:52 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Try charging the battery or getting a new one.
​​​​​​
i bought a new battery today,,

I'm thinking of changing the immobilizer since still doing the same.

​​But when I hit a few time in that part of the switch the the green key in the dash show up Right away.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:50 AM
Unregistered Member

When you hit what switch? The key ring? Then you probably need a new immobilizer ring, which is no big deal.

The ECUs in these cars don't go bad.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:47 AM
7th Gear

When you hit what switch? The key ring? Then you probably need a new immobilizer ring, which is no big deal.

The ECUs in these cars don't go bad.
Yes Karanx7 The key ring

But that has to be programmed? the immobilizer ring.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:09 AM
Senior Moderator

https://www.oemacuraparts.com/oem-pa...dXRvbWF0aWM%3D
Old 06-14-2017, 09:31 AM
7th Gear

I appreciate the help, I'll buy it to see what happens that unit have to be programed ?
Old 06-14-2017, 09:34 AM
Senior Moderator

https://www.google.com/search?q=prog...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old 06-14-2017, 03:58 PM
Unregistered Member

Ummm, I don't think you have to reprogram the immobilizer receiver unit on the key ring. I think it just receives the signal from the key, and sends it to the ECU. I'm pretty sure the ECU is tied to the key, and the immobilizer ring is just a receiver.

I might be wrong though. Maybe someone else can confirm.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:35 PM
7th Gear

Ummm, I don't think you have to reprogram the immobilizer receiver unit on the key ring. I think it just receives the signal from the key, and sends it to the ECU. I'm pretty sure the ECU is tied to the key, and the immobilizer ring is just a receiver.

I might be wrong though. Maybe someone else can confirm.

Thank you Karanx7 , I'm going to buy the immobilizer tomorrow And see what happens.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:53 PM
Advanced

Is this still happening to you? I have the same issue. No green key light on my dash.
Old 05-12-2018, 01:35 PM
5th Gear

Found my fix

For me specifically, it turned out to be my fuel pump relay on my 03. Thought it was going to be an expensive item but I found it at O'REILLY'S for around $50. It got to the point where I had to jostle it multiple times to get a green light and an ignition.
Old 05-12-2018, 02:22 PM
Advanced

It started with the main relay I used to tap it a few times it would turn on. But since yesterday it didn’t work so I went out to replaced the main relay and it still doesn’t turn on. I’ve notice that the green key light is not there anymore. So now I’m in search for the immobilizer unit (not easy to find in a local shop ). I’ve checked all fuses for continuity, the battery is good, and I replaced the ignition switch wire a few years ago.
Old 05-12-2018, 02:35 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by uleiro
It started with the main relay I used to tap it a few times it would turn on. But since yesterday it didn’t work so I went out to replaced the main relay and it still doesn’t turn on. I’ve notice that the green key light is not there anymore. So now I’m in search for the immobilizer unit (not easy to find in a local shop ). I’ve checked all fuses for continuity, the battery is good, and I replaced the ignition switch wire a few years ago.
You've already done far beyond what I've needed to do my friend. I hope that's not something I should be expecting to deal with.
Old 05-12-2018, 02:42 PM
Advanced

Yea I’m all alone with this one lol. Usually I find the fix on this website . I called a few Acura dealers the closest one with a immobilizer is about 1.5 hrs away. I would have to order it at amazon
Old 10-27-2018, 07:17 PM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 tl green light

I have starting issue for over yesr now sometimes it stsrts sometimes it wont when greenlight appears car starts light not on car wo t start starter alwsys cranks put new battery i car it started now no green light at all help please
Old 12-04-2018, 01:19 PM
6th Gear

Same Issue i get stranded for hours in Arizona desert

Originally Posted by David.Y35
You've already done far beyond what I've needed to do my friend. I hope that's not something I should be expecting to deal with.
PLEASE HELP THIS IS GOING TO CAUSE ME TO PHYSICALLY DIE IN THIS 125 DEGREE HEAT in the Arizona desert .everytime i drive ..Green light wont come on if it does only for second replaced battery .Terminals battery Main fuse and Ignition switch when i disconnect battery sometimes it will come on and start after comnecting battey .or clock fuse even tapping radio code on my brake pedal it will start .Crazy but most of time im stuvk for hours at atime wo t start cranks no start
Old 12-04-2018, 01:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Jack lape
PLEASE HELP THIS IS GOING TO CAUSE ME TO PHYSICALLY DIE IN THIS 125 DEGREE HEAT in the Arizona desert .everytime i drive ..Green light wont come on if it does only for second replaced battery .Terminals battery Main fuse and Ignition switch when i disconnect battery sometimes it will come on and start after comnecting battey .or clock fuse even tapping radio code on my brake pedal it will start .Crazy but most of time im stuvk for hours at atime wo t start cranks no start

what part of Arizona is 125 degrees in December?

Sounds like your main relay is bad.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:27 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Jack lape
PLEASE HELP THIS IS GOING TO CAUSE ME TO PHYSICALLY DIE IN THIS 125 DEGREE HEAT in the Arizona desert .everytime i drive ..Green light wont come on if it does only for second replaced battery .Terminals battery Main fuse and Ignition switch when i disconnect battery sometimes it will come on and start after connecting battey .or clock fuse even tapping radio code on my brake pedal it will start .Crazy but most of time im stuck for hours at atime wo t start cranks no start
okay im having the same issues with my 02 tl-type s. I tried a new igniton switch (no luck), new main relay (no luck), New 550amp battery (no luck, but great cranking power). Im starting to think it all has to do with the immobilizer, Reasons i think that is because i have an e46 bmw racecar, but back when i would reflash the ecu(DME) it would sometimes fall out of sync with the EWS (antitheft) unit, when it would unsync from the EWS, same shit, crank all day but never start. The EWS needed several things to OKAY an engine start three being 12V power, Correct key code from ECU, and the Correct key code from the physical key transponder. My car will give the green key light sometime if i unlock the steering adjuster and bang the steering wheel up and down sometimes. so i think maybe just a loose or corroded connection in the communication from the key to the Anti theft, If anyone might know what could be failing in or around the steering column, in that communication line, or possibly the anti theft receiver at the key tumbler is having issues keeping good power and ground?
Old 01-13-2019, 07:40 PM
6th Gear

Still leaving me stranded randomly Any real acura mechanics reading this issue have f

It wasnt 125 in December it was June 17. In mesa Arizona I replaced main eelay still doing rhe random green key light sometimes ill hear loud click come from shifter in counso the l car will just shut off while waiting for green light at intersection sitting still . to get the green light to appear have done taking a clock fuse out that sometimes works sometimes I'll disconnect the battery and that work sometimes I'll do the brake code which is the radio code tapping brake pedal in sequence with the radio code and it will come on sometimes I'll take the main fuse out and replace it in a green light to come on every time the green light to come on the car start but often while driving for no given reason sometimes when I accelerate the car just died and no green light appear
Old 09-16-2019, 04:39 PM
2nd Gear

I have the same problem and when i hit the steering wheel the light comes back on did you ever find out what the problem was?
Old 09-23-2019, 06:56 PM
2nd Gear

Yes I found the fix

Originally Posted by Ariyel Jackson
I have the same problem and when i hit the steering wheel the light comes back on did you ever find out what the problem was?
When mine was messing up, I could smack the steering wheel around and get it to crank eventually. I tried an ignition switch, no result. Then I tried a new main relay (under steering column). You don’t even have to unbolt the old on the try a new one, just unplug the wires and try a new relay, strong possibility that’s your problem too, those relay fail often.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:19 AM
2nd Gear

The fuel pump relay was the problem. The car cranks and starts just fine now.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:46 PM
1st Gear

Found the fix

There’s a big relay under the dash in the driver footwell, I replaced that and haven’t had the issue since

Ok so A few weeks ago I removed the battery to my tl, After that has this problem that the green key does not show on my dash. Sometimes the green key appears sometimes No And when it does not appear it does not turn on de car. The battery is fine and the starter,,,,All de fuse are ok to.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:01 PM
Cruisin'

my car looks like the second one. The light comes on but immediately turns off. But my car still won’t crank. I have replaced the battery a month ago and alternator within 2 years. But my car won’t start.
Old 02-15-2020, 01:24 PM
Cruisin'

I have now replaced the fuel pump relay and it still won’t start.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 193 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by ASolangeM
my car looks like the second one. The light comes on but immediately turns off. But my car still won’t crank. I have replaced the battery a month ago and alternator within 2 years. But my car won’t start.
What do you mean by "still won't crank? Does the engine turn over when you turn the key?

Old 02-15-2020, 06:52 PM
Cruisin'

Not any more. It was as if yesterday. But today it won’t even do that.