Creaking Dissapointments

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 08:20 AM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 35 Posts
Thumbs down Creaking Dissapointments

As the weather starts getting warmer... the 4G TL I bought last month started producing very noticeable rattling, creaking and squeaking noises everywhere like a rickety rickshaw: in the A pillars, B pillars, sunroof area and near the rear speakers. I also start hearing "pops" that sound like a cicada. Honestly, what is the deal with this?! Is this not a $45k car? It still only has 22,500 miles on it.

I am very annoyed, depressed and disappointed at Acura. I've done the forum search and this appears to be a very common issue with multiple TSBs issued. I've driven $10k Hyundais that drive just fine in 100 degree weather... why is this happening to my top of the line Acura??

Here's to hoping my visit to the dealership on Friday will fix anything. Are these issues repairable? Anyone else with OCD like me that found resolution? Please give me hope!

Last edited by mynameisjacob; 05-01-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:09 AM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
As you already mentioned a lot of these problems are known and fixable. The creaking you might be hearing in the back I believe is from a styrofoam piece inside the door thats for sound deadening but is prone to coming lose. I would post all the TBA's relating to the problems you're experiencing and print them out to bring to your appointment. Also make sure you remove everything from the car that might be causing these problems: sunglasses in the the holder, loose change, tools in the glove box, thing in the door compartment holders, etc.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by mynameisjacob
As the weather starts getting warmer... the 4G TL I bought last month started producing very noticeable rattling, creaking and squeaking noises everywhere like a rickety rickshaw: in the A pillars, B pillars, sunroof area and near the rear speakers. I also start hearing "pops" that sound like a cicada. Honestly, what is the deal with this?! Is this not a $45k car? It still only has 22,500 miles on it.

I am very annoyed, depressed and disappointed at Acura. I've done the forum search and this appears to be a very common issue with multiple TSBs issued. I've driven $10k Hyundais that drive just fine in 100 degree weather... why is this happening to my top of the line Acura??

Here's to hoping my visit to the dealership on Friday will fix anything. Are these issues repairable? Anyone else with OCD like me that found resolution? Please give me hope!
These issues seem to happen mostly on the SH-AWD Tl's because of their stiff suspension. Additionally, with the quiet cabin, you will hear more interior noises. I had a tapping noise that the dealer fixed, so I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:40 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are not the only one. I'm too extremely disappointed. I bought a brand new TL last May, and just a few days later when temps heated up squeaking noises started to come up from all over. The most annoying was rattling from inside of the passenger door. Took it back to the dealer, they squeezed some foam inserts here and there, but it didn't help much.
I was expecting a lot more from a 45k car, and the Acura brand that claims to be luxury. Huge disappointment.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:43 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Acura_fan12
You are not the only one. I'm too extremely disappointed. I bought a brand new TL last May, and just a few days later when temps heated up squeaking noises started to come up from all over. The most annoying was rattling from inside of the passenger door. Took it back to the dealer, they squeezed some foam inserts here and there, but it didn't help much.
I was expecting a lot more from a 45k car, and the Acura brand that claims to be luxury. Huge disappointment.
Talking with a co-worker... I think the fact that it is a 'luxury' vehicle they attempt to add trim and insulation pieces within the panels and pillars... Acura has just been implementing it poorly. The reason cheap $10k vehicles don't rattle or squeak is because there is nothing there to begin with that would rub against each other. Infuriating nonetheless. Just my
Old 05-01-2013, 09:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
I'm noticing some of those symptoms but then they go away and then they come back. IDK, maybe I'm just nitpicking because I got it brand new. I do have some loose items in my car though and that won't help with the noise LOL.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Funny, the only noise I hear in my 2009 is the change rattling around in the center console.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:10 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Funny, the only noise I hear in my 2009 is the change rattling around in the center console.
My 09' was very solid too. I thought a rear window was rattling at one point and then figured out it was roof spoiler that had come loose . My 12' Has also been rattle free, I'll try and listen to see if warm weather affects it.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by HeartTLs
My 09' was very solid too. I thought a rear window was rattling at one point and then figured out it was roof spoiler that had come loose . My 12' Has also been rattle free, I'll try and listen to see if warm weather affects it.
Yep, my 09 has been great...only rattle is from my sunglass holder, I need to add some foam or cushiony material in there to quiet it down...
Old 05-01-2013, 03:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Booya4139
Yep, my 09 has been great...only rattle is from my sunglass holder, I need to add some foam or cushiony material in there to quiet it down...
I put the SG's in the cloth bag they came with before stuffing them into the holder and solved that problem.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:33 PM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
same rattles here. My are in b pillars, and headliner. Most annoying is the b pillar where the seat belts go in right by my ear. It's driving me nuts, I bought shit load of dynamat will be doing all doors, pillars, and if I figure out how to remove the headliner.

My 2006 Jetta is solid compared the 2012 acura tl, not as fast, but rattle free. Jetta is on stiffer lower suspension and that did not introduce any new rattles so not sure if the SH-AWD has anything to do with it.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Actually when I had my 09 AWD TL I uses to say it was a bank vault, doors would thus closed and never a peep while driving. It wa by far the tightest and well built car I ever owned.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:58 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
Some of what you may be hearing is the doors and sunroof moving around a bit on the seals/gaskets. After the winter the seals are dirty and dry and don't mate up against the sealing surfaces quite as well. Try buying some Shin-Etsu grease from a Honda dealer. (It's expensive, but almost magic). Clean the seals and sealing surfaces and then apply the grease per the instructions. Our old Accord had a sunroof/headliner noise that drove me crazy in warm weather almost from the time we first got it. I applied a little Shin-Etsu to the sunroof seal because it looked like it was drying out, and the noise instantly went away never to return.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:21 PM
UA6
Safety Car

Received 700 Likes on 438 Posts
Old 05-03-2013, 11:25 AM
Racer

Hmmm maybe I will! Dynamat everything!

On a scale of 1 to 10... how difficult is it to remove trim pieces and side panels and such? I've never done it before on any car. Do I need special tools? Does it cause damage to the actual panels if removed wrong?
Old 05-06-2013, 04:45 PM
i am so smart S M R T

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am noticing many of the same issues on my 09 as well. The sunroof most recently has been ratttling whenever i go over a bump or close the door.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:57 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my 2013 tl sh-awd 6-speed with 3,500 miles on it already has an annoying squeeking sound coming somewhere from the back
Old 05-07-2013, 06:56 PM
Racer

Hey Piotr... I know you... its me Jacob... from Syska. We met during the columbia walkthrough. Funny seeing you here...
Old 06-05-2013, 10:25 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
Some of what you may be hearing is the doors and sunroof moving around a bit on the seals/gaskets. After the winter the seals are dirty and dry and don't mate up against the sealing surfaces quite as well. Try buying some Shin-Etsu grease from a Honda dealer. (It's expensive, but almost magic). Clean the seals and sealing surfaces and then apply the grease per the instructions. Our old Accord had a sunroof/headliner noise that drove me crazy in warm weather almost from the time we first got it. I applied a little Shin-Etsu to the sunroof seal because it looked like it was drying out, and the noise instantly went away never to return.
Did you have to clean the areas you were going to grease before applying the Shin-Etsu? My sunroof when fully retracted with the covered pulled back makes creaking noises that drive me crazy. I'm planning on taking care of it ASAP.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:44 AM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
all i hear in mine is my progressive sway bar + tein coils creaking when i go over speed bumps.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:06 AM
Basshead

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
I had a creaking sound coming from the rear. It was because the bottom of my back seat wasn't all the way clipped in. If it's not completely secure the leather will rub when the car flexes over speed bumps etc. There are 2 clips in the front of the rear seat that hold it together.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mynameisjacob

As you already mentioned a lot of these problems are known and fixable. The creaking you might be hearing in the back I believe is from a styrofoam piece inside the door thats for sound deadening but is prone to coming lose. I would post all the TBA's relating to the problems you're experiencing and print them out to bring to your appointment. Also make sure you remove everything from the car that might be causing these problems: sunglasses in the the holder, loose change, tools in the glove box, thing in the door compartment holders, etc.
I don't have any of these issues.

Wonder how HMCo can produce two cars off the same line that have two totally different outcomes?

However, my TL was a press demonstrator, sooo it may have been given the fine tooth comb treatment before anyone actually drove it/

Last edited by Mr Marco; 06-05-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:40 PM
JLH
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't have any of these issues.

Wonder how HMCo can produce two cars off the same line that have two totally different outcomes?

However, my TL was a press demonstrator, sooo it may have been given the fine tooth comb treatment before anyone actually drove it/
I purchased my 4G in mid March of 2011. It is S/N 1049 and I have none of the issues so many owners are reporting. I have no squeaks, groans or rattles. The only problems I have experienced are the loose gas cap and low battery warning on the MID, which was corrected with a program flash. How to explain such a low incidence of problems when my 4g is among the earliest off the assembly line for 2012? There seems to be considerable variation in assembled quality across all the G models, so I guess it's the luck of the draw.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:05 PM
Drifting

Did you have to clean the areas you were going to grease before applying the Shin-Etsu? My sunroof when fully retracted with the covered pulled back makes creaking noises that drive me crazy. I'm planning on taking care of it ASAP.
Yes, thanks for mentioning. A good, soap-and-water cleaning of the gaskets and mating surfaces will make the Shin-Etsu much more effective. It's a pain, but if you do it every year or two, you will probably be much happier (to the extent you're experiencing creaks or rattles).
Old 06-06-2013, 08:07 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My rattles come from the door panels and sometimes from the sun roof. The dealership fixed one door panel and missed on the other. The response on the sun roof was that they could not locate it. Bullshit answer if you ask me when you drop 44k on a luxury vehicle
Old 06-07-2013, 08:57 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by dvdpgb
My rattles come from the door panels and sometimes from the sun roof. The dealership fixed one door panel and missed on the other. The response on the sun roof was that they could not locate it. Bullshit answer if you ask me when you drop 44k on a luxury vehicle
Sunroof is easy. Have them lubricate the tracks. My dealer did that for mine 2 years ago. Not a peep since then (knock wood).
Old 06-21-2013, 06:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts
You have a valid complaint if your Acura rattles and squeaks.
Mine does too. (2010, FWD)
The steering wheel buttons and cover pad etc. squeak. I think I have the dreaded moonroof rattle since it seems to go away when I close the cover. The armrest squeaks when I lean on it. I try to drown out the rattles by turning up the stereo but the door speaker is blown. Catch-22.
I do love the looks and the engine though.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts
My wife's Camry is 11 years old with 200,000 km on it and it doesn't have any of these rattles. Boring car but it runs like a watch and it's quiet.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:47 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jim_c
You have a valid complaint if your Acura rattles and squeaks.
Mine does too. (2010, FWD)
The steering wheel buttons and cover pad etc. squeak. I think I have the dreaded moonroof rattle since it seems to go away when I close the cover. The armrest squeaks when I lean on it. I try to drown out the rattles by turning up the stereo but the door speaker is blown. Catch-22.
I do love the looks and the engine though.

Jim,

I think I can help you out with some of the issues.

1. moonroof rattle - Put your fingers into the gap between headliner and moonroof opening at its midpoint and pull down slightly. It will detach the velcro that attaches headliner to the frame. When I did this, it got rid of the moonroof rattle. YMMV.

2. Armrest squeaks - (I'm assuming you're referring to the center storage console armrest) Put vaseline jelly on the rubber stopper that goes into the latch. BOOM, no more squeak.
The following users liked this post:
jim_c (06-27-2013)
Old 06-26-2013, 11:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by potmilkz
all i hear in mine is my progressive sway bar + tein coils creaking when i go over speed bumps.
And this is why I'm leaving mine stock. I lowered my Speed 6 with Koni's and Eibach springs as well as added a RSB. What a squeaker. It seemed like every month there was a new noise, not to mention having to roll the rear fenders to make room for the drop. NEVER again.