“Check Charging System” light turns on and off sporadically. PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 08:58 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
“Check Charging System” light turns on and off sporadically. PLEASE HELP!!!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/deuhctp9qn...ystem.MOV?dl=0
So I am having this problem with my 2010 Acura TL, please be patient with me as I try to give you all the details. The issue I am having started on Sept 15th when the “Check Charging System” alert came on and my car died on the side of the road. I took the car directly to a mechanic and had the alternator replaced while I was out of town. The car was returned to me on the 18th and the very next day the same “Check Charging System” alert came on. This time around though, it would only come on for a spilt second and turn off again. The alert would come on sporadically through the day (I.E. the video attached). On the 20th, I drop it off yet again to the mechanic to be checked. This time he did a more thorough check and changed the alternator again. I picked up the car and 2 days later (now the 23rd) the alert went off AGAIN! Thankfully this time around I was able to catch it on video. Another visit to my mechanic and this time he changes the battery; Got it back on the 25th. All the while, this alert is only showing up for me and not the mechanic so it’s getting frustrating for both parties. On the 26th I get the alert again and of course drop it BACK OFF AT THE MECHANIC, this time he drives it around for 2 days and nothing. In hopes that maybe what I needed was a second opinion I take it to another mechanic (Honda tech), he drives it around for a couple days and nothing. The Honda tech does an alternator test, comes back as a bad alternator. I take the car back to the first mechanic and tell him the results that I received from the Honda tech. He checks it and says that the alternator is fine and at this point the light has yet to come back on again. I’m at a dead end. I drive my car again from the 7th to the 9th with no issue. On the 9th, I took it to advanced auto to get the alternator tested and the test came back good. The 10th, I get the light again as I parked the car. As you can probably imagine I’m frustrated out of my mind! If anyone has had this same problem, what was wrong? Or if any mechanics know what the problem is, please help me!!!
Old 10-25-2017, 03:30 PM
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
if your battery is slowly dying its putting a strain on the alternator to keep it charged. I would check for any parasitic drain on the battery. The bluetooth module is a known finicky issue. Maybe a wiring issue? I replaced the bluetooth module on my tl recently and it solved the constand HFL dropping link with phone issue. Plus i was worried about the HFL causing a drain even when the car was off.
The following users liked this post:
Prince Young (03-17-2021)
Old 10-25-2017, 06:47 PM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
I just changed my alternator couple days ago after hearing the whining noise...
1. Do you have any aftermarket audio system on the car.
2. Did you replace it with an aftermarket alternator or oem one?
3. Was it remanufactured or new , new ones run around $900 I got a remanufactured one .. either way you still have warranty just check back with the mechanic.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:59 PM
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MrDuarte

https://www.dropbox.com/s/deuhctp9qn...ystem.MOV?dl=0
So I am having this problem with my 2010 Acura TL, please be patient with me as I try to give you all the details. The issue I am having started on Sept 15th when the “Check Charging System” alert came on and my car died on the side of the road. I took the car directly to a mechanic and had the alternator replaced while I was out of town. The car was returned to me on the 18th and the very next day the same “Check Charging System” alert came on. This time around though, it would only come on for a spilt second and turn off again. The alert would come on sporadically through the day (I.E. the video attached). On the 20th, I drop it off yet again to the mechanic to be checked. This time he did a more thorough check and changed the alternator again. I picked up the car and 2 days later (now the 23rd) the alert went off AGAIN! Thankfully this time around I was able to catch it on video. Another visit to my mechanic and this time he changes the battery; Got it back on the 25th. All the while, this alert is only showing up for me and not the mechanic so it’s getting frustrating for both parties. On the 26th I get the alert again and of course drop it BACK OFF AT THE MECHANIC, this time he drives it around for 2 days and nothing. In hopes that maybe what I needed was a second opinion I take it to another mechanic (Honda tech), he drives it around for a couple days and nothing. The Honda tech does an alternator test, comes back as a bad alternator. I take the car back to the first mechanic and tell him the results that I received from the Honda tech. He checks it and says that the alternator is fine and at this point the light has yet to come back on again. I’m at a dead end. I drive my car again from the 7th to the 9th with no issue. On the 9th, I took it to advanced auto to get the alternator tested and the test came back good. The 10th, I get the light again as I parked the car. As you can probably imagine I’m frustrated out of my mind! If anyone has had this same problem, what was wrong? Or if any mechanics know what the problem is, please help me!!!
I too Have this problem, I replaced the alt in july and had both the battery and alt tested last week and both are testing good. I've noticed however that it happens when I hit the brakes and I'm at lower speeds, such as 20 to 40 mph. So far my car hasnt died or anything but it's concerning me that It might at any time, regardless I'm definitely keeping my jumper cables on me at all times!
SCLewis84 (04-26-2022)
Old 10-26-2017, 02:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,737 Likes on 6,740 Posts
I never trust those testers. I'm not sure on the tolerances but i have had alternators, starters, batteries test "GOOD" but it still ended up being the culprit. Low speed = either alternator is bad, or the pulley is bad, or the belt isn't having enough tension to drive the alternator properly.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:26 PM
Drifting

Received 853 Likes on 606 Posts
I had that error as well but it ended up being a loose cable on the battery. I'd guess that's probably not it based on having the battery replaced. Might want to look at the cables either way. Make sure the ground cable and positive to the starter are solid - no corrosion and not loose.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:40 PM
1st Gear

Check charging system outcome?

I am having the EXACT same thing happening to my 2009 TL. How did you remedy the issue or is the light still sporadically coming on. Mine comes on when I slow down or stop but for a second or two then goes off. I got a new altimator then this started. My battery is fine as per the battery sales people. It’s checking out as fine. Can you offer any advice? What did you do to get it fixed? I don’t want to take my car to the dealer but I also don’t want to ride around with this random alert! My car is driving just fine but... I want it fixed! The mechanic is saying he thinks it’s the battery but... I just need help! Can you help?
Old 06-04-2018, 04:46 PM
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fixed

Yes I was able to get it fixed. The alternator was the cause. The one they put on wasn't putting the right voltage out. Once I got it rereplaced I havnt had the issue since. I would check whoever put it in and see what kind of warrenty you have on it. The voltage should be above 14 at engine idle. mine was right below at like 13.5, which was enough to throw a code when the engine returns to idle, be at during gear changing or hitting the brakes. Hope this helps
Andre Fraser (08-23-2020)
Old 06-08-2021, 04:07 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Zac5751
Yes I was able to get it fixed. The alternator was the cause. The one they put on wasn't putting the right voltage out. Once I got it rereplaced I havnt had the issue since. I would check whoever put it in and see what kind of warrenty you have on it. The voltage should be above 14 at engine idle. mine was right below at like 13.5, which was enough to throw a code when the engine returns to idle, be at during gear changing or hitting the brakes. Hope this helps
Sorry to bring this back but I'm in the same situation right now. I installed a new aftermarket alternator and now I'm getting the same annoying light every so often. Did it go away by installing an OEM alternator?
Old 06-08-2021, 06:40 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Originally Posted by Dj2488
Sorry to bring this back but I'm in the same situation right now. I installed a new aftermarket alternator and now I'm getting the same annoying light every so often. Did it go away by installing an OEM alternator?
well, get the alternator checked out.
the person you quoted gave you great information...if voltage of the alternator dips below 14volts, you will have a bad time.
it could be a faulty alternator, or it could be the "aftermarket" one. who knows, until you check it out.
Old 06-08-2021, 11:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
Can you please tell us what year, model, trans, mileage you have?
Our answers depend on this information.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:54 AM
2nd Gear

2012 TL with 96k miles. I'm pretty sure it's the alternator cause I'm only getting 13.4 V at idle and I got a new battery last year. I just wanted know if this guy had success with an OEM alternator instead of me getting another aftermarket one because installing it myself was a pain in the ass and I'd rather not do it 3 times.
Old 06-09-2021, 07:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,433 Posts
Use a reman denso unit from rockauto.com and you'll be fine. don't forget the 5% off coupon.
Old 06-09-2021, 08:18 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
2012 TL with 96k miles. I'm pretty sure it's the alternator cause I'm only getting 13.4 V at idle and I got a new battery last year. I just wanted know if this guy had success with an OEM alternator instead of me getting another aftermarket one because installing it myself was a pain in the ass and I'd rather not do it 3 times.

alternators are like the easiest thing to install!
the more you do it, the better you are at it!

But I wouldnt go OEM because of the cost..
I would do a re-man. I got an Autozone remanufactured one!
Old 06-09-2021, 09:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
- Also recommend Denso reman alternator from:
RockAuto.com
NAPA (local store), about $100 more than RockAuto
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Acura issued a TSB for "MID Shows BATTERY CHARGE LOW"
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B12-013.PDF

See if your VIN applies
Applies To: 2012 TL 2WD – From VIN 19UUA8...CA000001 thru 19UUA8...CA008239
2012 TL SH-WD – From VIN 19UUA9...CA000001 thru 19UUA9...CA002516