Cargo Hooks

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 04:42 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cargo Hooks

I purchased the cargo hooks for my TL, and I realized that you need this rivet nut tool (P/N 07AAE-000A100) for installation. An Acura dealer sells this online
for $70 (reduced price!), and I purchased the cargo hooks for just $20. Apparently this tool is used to install several Honda/Acura accessories. Home Depot and Sears don't have such a tool. Has anyone installed these hooks and knows a better way??
Old 03-18-2011, 09:28 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this reply is late for the poster but it may help someone in the future. I need the same tool to install the trunk drawer. You can order this tool from Bernadi Acura Parts on line (Do a Google search for rivet nut tool (P/N 07AAE-000A100) and it will come up as a Honda Part.) You can use the tool and send it back for a refund of the total cost less $20.00 per week rental and shipping. This is probably the best way to go as it is a specialized tool that you will not likely use again.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:30 PM
Colorado Springs

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
I purchased two trunk hooks for my wife's 2010 Accord and never got around to installing them. Does anybody know if they will fit in the TL? I'm almost 99% sure they will.

If so, how complicated is this tool to use? Does it actually punch a hole through the sheet metal above the trunk? If it does, is there any precautions to that to avoid rust? I'm interested in putting them on if I can.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:34 PM
Advanced

See is this helps (Rivet Tool). I purchased the same hooks, and haven't got around to trying this.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:55 AM
4th Gear

The link below has a really nice how-to with pics, for making your own rivet nut tool. I'm gonna try it this weekend to install cargo hooks in my TSX. I can't believe I was thinking of going to the dealer or renting this tool. I'm usually very resourceful but it didn't even cross my mind to make my own as I thought this was a very specialized tool specific to Honda/Acura. My buddy suggested I try to make my own and that's when I found this how-to.
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/do-yo...cargo-net.html
Old 10-02-2011, 06:31 PM
4th Gear

I ended up not needing a rivet nut tool. The cargo hook comes with a nut (and washer) that screws on to the included bolt. Even if it didn’t include the bolt nut, you can just buy your own and bypass using the rivet nut. I had read the Acura install instructions (2010 TSX version from http://www.acurapartssuperstore.com) and all it mentions is to install the rivet nut—the extra bolt nut isn’t even listed in the parts description so I didn’t know it was included. Maybe they updated the included parts for 2011 even though the part number for the cargo hook is still 08L96-TA0-101A.

That part number is apparently the same as the Honda part number since the label on the package I got had “Honda” on it even though I got it from an Acura dealer. Perhaps if you got an older version of the cargo hook, it might not have included the bolt nut and washer. Maybe Honda/Acura received so many complaints about the rivet nut that they decided to give consumers another option.

You might not understand when a rivet nut is necessary until you see how it’s used. It’s useful for installations where you don’t have access to the other side so you wouldn’t be able to put a nut on a bolt. The install of the running boards on a Ridgeline is a good example – see http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...running+boards.

Anyway, installing this cargo hook on my 2011 Acura TSX (and probably most other Acuras and Hondas) does not require a rivet nut because you can easily get access to the top side to install the nut on the bolt. All you need is a 10 mm wrench (preferable a socket wrench) to tighten the bolt and another 10 mm wrench to hold the nut in place.

I learned something important from this, and that is if I ever get any type of part for anything—home, car, office, I’ll wait until I get the part to see how everything goes together before I decide what tools I’ll need to do the install. I had spent some time looking up rivet nut tools because I thought I needed one for this cargo hook.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:12 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
An old thread but when installing the cargo mat for the TSX you can't use a nut and bolt in a couple of spots so I ordered a rental rivnut tool. Turns out its just a generic tool made bya company. If you search for L-845 rivet nut you will find the tool for under $50 which is about half of what they charge at the $tealership