2010 CBP - Paint Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 05:29 PM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
2010 CBP - Paint Issue

I just purchased a 2010 TL in Crystal Black Pearl. I had it shipped from Arizona (sight unseen) but since it was a CPO and had less than 10k miles I wasn't worried about not seeing it. I had my salesman send me numerous pics in addition to the 25 or so I saw online.

Well I received the vehicle earlier this week and when washing it for the first time I noticed these specs in the paint. I was thinking it was maybe the metallic flakes because of the "pearl" but I saw that it is not like this everywhere (though a good portion of the car is).

Fortunately from a distance you don't notice it, but as you get closer it does stand out a bit (maybe just because I know it's there).

I did a bit of research earlier and wonder if this mottling. The symptoms I mostly saw though in regards to that were much more noticable from a distance and were big streaks or spots...not little flakes like this.

I wanted to get your opinions to see if anyone has experienced this before and if you think the warranty would cover it. Unfortunately I'm sure it would be a major pain because even if the dealer would cover it, the entire car would probably need to be re-painted (and the clear bra removed and a new one installed). Since I just got the car I don't want to be without it for however long it would take to complete the work, and how do I know the quality of the work this time around will be up to par...?

Old 09-16-2011, 05:37 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
its called pitting, this happens when the painter uses cheap clearcoat.

usually this can be buffed out.

find a local detailer to help you out, but i dont see a problem..
Old 09-16-2011, 05:46 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the quick reply.

When it's pitting does it still feel smooth to the touch? Cause the surface doesn't feel like it has any texture to it.

Also, is Acura known for using a cheap clearcoat? Any issues like this with yours?
Old 09-16-2011, 05:54 PM

i believe that the part that has the bad pitting has been re-painted.

and i do believe that it was a painter that was contracted by acura..

where is the pitting actually happening?
Old 09-16-2011, 06:02 PM
Drifting

It's in quite a few places, the trunk (though not the spoiler), the roof, the area between the roof and windows (though not all the way from front to back), the sides, part of the hood...probably close to 2/3 of the car.

Should it have a texture to it? I'm hesitant to think it's pitting just because it's smooth to touch.

Are you saying the parts on your car that had the pitting were re-painted? Or you think my car may have been?
Old 09-16-2011, 06:19 PM

it may be spot repaint..

where are you located?

find a local professional detailer to take a look at it..

and when i mean find one, i mean go on the detailing forums and ask for recommendations..

i myself is just barely learning about detailing, so i cannot answer that question, but maybe you can go to the forums.

www.autopia.org.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:43 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
That is definitely a repaint. No way the car would have been released from factory QA with that finish.

I'd take it up with the dealer from which you purchased the car. It should not look like that.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:41 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the info guys. I'll definitely try to get it to a detailer this weekend to get their recommendations.

Unfortunately since the dealer I purchased it from is over 2,000 miles away I'm sure I don't have much recourse with them. Hopefully a local one can assist and it can be covered under warranty...if it's something a detailer can't fix.

If it is a repaint, will the local dealer's system tell them that and thus it not be covered under warranty? I saw the Carfax prior to purchasing and it mentioned nothing of it being repainted.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:41 PM
Drifting

I took it to a local detailer and he said it is tiny cracks in the paint. He said he usually sees this on the front end of Hondas / Acuras and apparently it's a known issue. He was a bit surprised in this case because the cracks are smaller than he's used to seeing and they cover almost the entire car (at least the metal surfaces, the bumpers and spoiler are ok).

He suggested I take it to the dealer. He said they should not push back at all since it is less than a year old and only has 10k miles on it. I stopped by the dealer and the service manager was not there so I got her business card and will be calling on Monday.

This really sucks, but hopefully will be resolved in a timely and hassle free manner. I'll keep this thread updated with what's going on.

I guess while I have it in I'll get my rear headrests fixed (buttons popped out and now they won't go down). In addition, I believe I may have a blown speaker or two.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:17 PM
-Brian

Received 241 Likes on 167 Posts
I have seen this in honda paint jobs over time, unfort. it is common among hondas and some acura. Thats what sucks about buying a car sight unseen, and do you honestly think the guy who sold you the car didn't see them?
Old 09-17-2011, 07:37 PM
-Brian

its microcracking BTW and that is a factory paint job.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:43 PM
Drifting

Yeah Nexson, I'm sure you're right...there's no way they didn't see that. Typical stealership!

I'm trying not to let it get to me. You can't see it unless your up close and looking for it, and other than that I am in love with the car.

I'll just keep my fingers crossed that my local dealership takes care of it. We'll see...
Old 09-17-2011, 09:10 PM
Drifting

Brian, I've never seen anything like that on a newer car. I have seen older, neglected cars with a look like that, but never a car only a year or so old.

What causes it? Any fix short of a repaint?
Old 09-17-2011, 10:08 PM
-Brian

Through working on cars in for bumper repair, I see it on the hortizontal metal surfaces. Usually gms and chevy, but more recently on hondas. My very own neighbor has this issue on her civic all over the hood.

I couldn't live with this and would risk it for a paint job.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:34 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nexson
Through working on cars in for bumper repair, I see it on the hortizontal metal surfaces. Usually gms and chevy, but more recently on hondas. My very own neighbor has this issue on her civic all over the hood.

I couldn't live with this and would risk it for a paint job.
What do you mean "would risk it for a paint job"?
Old 09-19-2011, 09:26 AM
-Brian

meaning no paint job is perfect, but the risk of a paint job outweighs the micropitting
Old 09-21-2011, 06:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
CPO- head straight to nearest Acura dealer for answers and call those worthless SOB at Acura client services/lack there of after purchase....Good luck and let us know what they say
The following users liked this post:
Ant$ (11-16-2011)
Old 09-21-2011, 06:56 PM
Drifting

I took it to my local dealer today and they were very surprised by what they saw...said they'd never seen anything like it. They had me drive it into the shop and the fluorescent lights really showed it well.

I picked it up after work and am waiting to hear what they say as they have to talk to the "higher ups". They've implied though that I will be taken care of, which I'm assuming means a total re-paint. It has a clear bra so I'm going to make sure I get a new one of those as well (which works out nice b/c this one has quite a few scratches).

When all is done, I'm going to contact Acura corporate and see what can be done in regards to some sort of compensation. I'm sure the value of my car will drop since it's no longer the factory paint job. Assuming this dealership lives up to the favorable impression they've given me so far, I'll have good things to say about them. The dealer I purchased it from however, not so much. There is no reason this should've passed the CPO inspection and absolute BS that no one figured it should be mentioned when I asked if there were any issues.

I'll definitely keep this thread updated with the progress.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:25 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
compensation.....wishfull thinking....
Old 09-22-2011, 10:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
does CPO include paint inspections? Hope you get a new paint job and a new clear bra.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:34 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by vinnier6
compensation.....wishfull thinking....
Yeah, you're probably right but there's no harm in trying.

Originally Posted by ib_jimmy
does CPO include paint inspections? Hope you get a new paint job and a new clear bra.
Yes, it does include paint inspections. I actually got the form for the inspection and every section (i.e. front bumper, hood, fender, door, etc.) has the finish and trim inspected. "Meets Acura Standards" is checked for every one. I'm assuming the guy who did my inspection viewed it from 20 feet away at night while wearing sunglasses.

Thanks! I'm hoping for the new paint job and bra as well
Old 09-27-2011, 10:21 AM
Drifting

I just got word today that they are doing a full re-paint and replacing my clear bra at no cost. This was expected, but it's still nice to hear. Unfortunately I will be without my car for 2-3 weeks (getting a loaner though) but as long as I get it back and the paint is showroom quality then I will be happy. They have a body shop on site because it is a very large dealer so hopefully that's a good thing.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:07 PM
Scott

Received 156 Likes on 151 Posts
glad to hear your getting treated right by your local acura dealer. i just got mine yesterday, via shipped on a truck, from seattle. im happy with the car, but i was nervous buying sight unseen, as you did also. sometimes "stealership" is right on. gotta believe your salesman looked the other way, with your paint issue. anything to make a sale, and send it on the truck. my salesman said he would do a couple things, put in a trunk tray, remove the front plate holder,... didnt happen. oh well, im sorry for your dissapointment in your tl. hope the paint turns out like new!
Old 09-27-2011, 03:36 PM
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
Reading this makes me want to run out of my office and check every square inch of my car! Glad to hear that a dealership that didn't make any money off of the sale is helping you out.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:13 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's great that your getting a new paint job but I would still complain to corporate about the selling dealership not stating the paints condition or lying about it.

I had a similar ordeal with a GS350 I was about to purchase, it wasn't too far away and all the the paperwork including financing was ready all I had to do was sign. When I went to go see the car, the front and rear bumpers did not match at all, there was a couple of dings, the motor sounded like it had marbles in it and only 27k on it and a cpo! Some people don't use the word mint correctly .
Old 09-28-2011, 08:39 AM
Drifting

Thank you for your comments. I will definitely be contacting Acura corporate and letting them know about this issue. Hopefully Acura of Peoria (Arizona) gets reprimanded in some way. Assuming Fountain Acura (Orlando, Fl) continues to impress me I will be letting corporate know about that as well. I'm fortunate that my local dealer is easy to deal with.

On a side note, I got a 2012 TL w/ tech package for a loaner...man there are some issues with the Bluetooth! It repeatedly cuts out when I'm on a call while displaying a message stating there is no phone connected...then the call comes back in. It's ridiculous! I'm glad I went with a 2010 and don't have to deal with those BS issues. (including importing contacts repeatedly).
Old 09-28-2011, 10:54 AM

i have a feeling that the paint match is going to be totally off..

probably going to do NHBP instead of CBP.. make sure you double check everything before you sign that document waiver that states everything is in order. test drive the car, make sure nothing creeks or is broken or sagging
Old 09-28-2011, 12:43 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by potmilkz
i have a feeling that the paint match is going to be totally off..

probably going to do NHBP instead of CBP.. make sure you double check everything before you sign that document waiver that states everything is in order. test drive the car, make sure nothing creeks or is broken or sagging
If they are painting the entire vehicle how would the paint match be off?

I was worried about the color they were going to use also. I asked my service advisor yesterday and he said it would be the same color as used when the factory paint job was done. However, you just convinced me to send him and the service manager an email to get confirmation that it will be CBP. Thanks

I'll definitely do a thorough inspection before signing anything. I logged the mileage in my phone when I dropped it off to make sure no one goes for any joy rides (or if they do I'll know it).

Apparently it drew a lot of attention last time it was there as a few people asked about it (unless the advisor was blowing smoke up my ass). Not sure if it was the 6-speed or the 19" wheels...
Old 09-28-2011, 12:56 PM

oh, sorry didnt read the part where they are painting the whole car.

do full inspection, and when i mean full. look at every inch on that car.

look for orange peel, paint drips, bad taping, overspray. check your rims for overspray.

Check your RIMS, BUMPER, PANELS, HEADLIGHTS, CHROME TRIMMING, DOOR HANDLES, WINDSHIELD AND ALL WINDOWS for overspray.

make sure that there is no paint drops under your side mirrors because they are famous for having paint drops that people dont notice.

make sure all panels are secured properly as well as inside, outside and engine bay.

make sure your leather seats have no overspray, scratches, rips, etc.
(shops tend to leave tools and parts inside and outside the car. They like to put it on top of the windshield as well too)

make sure all electronics are properly working and that no panels are loose (bump your music to see of there is any rattle and go for a test drive)
Old 09-28-2011, 01:05 PM
Drifting

Damn pot smoking milk lover, thank you for that! I will print that out and take it with me when it comes time to pick it up. I would've never been that thorough. Great advice!

I already got a reply about the paint. The dealer stated it will be CBP and that they go by the paint code listed on the car.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
thats good to hear about the repainting of the whole car...i am sure you will be happy with the outcome....just be detail oriented about it when you look it over, and be very picky about it....

and remember, you wont have the car forever...there is always another car, followed by another car and soo on....
Old 09-28-2011, 08:35 PM
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts
wow some of you guys are very picky! I will definitely retype and print out potmilkz's comment plus any other things you can think about and do a check list when pick up the car. Good luck man!
Old 09-29-2011, 03:08 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by under9hell
wow some of you guys are very picky! I will definitely retype and print out potmilkz's comment plus any other things you can think about and do a check list when pick up the car. Good luck man!
lol, I would be very picky too if my almost new car had to get a complete respray.

ucf_bronco: Try to hit up the painters with some tips, this should get you better results and a better paint job.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:21 PM
Drifting

Yeah, with the money I dropped on this car and the time spent saving and researching...I feel I've earned the right to be extremely picky. Especially considering I bought a car that has been on the road for about 9 months and has under 10k on the odometer.

hatepotholez - unfortunately I know nothing about painting so I can't really offer any tips. I'm hoping this dealer doesn't hire clowns to do its body work / painting. They seem to be a reputable dealer from what I've heard and seen so far. *crosses fingers
Old 09-29-2011, 05:14 PM
Instructor

Sorry I meant tips as in cash, lol
Old 10-03-2011, 07:52 PM
Drifting

ASK AND YOU SHALL RECEIVE...

I emailed the dealership today that is re-painting my car. I told them I appreciate all they're doing to this point but I feel that I deserve some compensation for being without my car for a month and for purchasing a barely used CPO that will no longer have the factory paint job.

I asked for the front, sides, and rear under body spoilers. I received a response stating consider it done...they will order them and have them installed before I pick it up. Needless to say I am very impressed with my interaction with this dealership to this point. Granted, my final decision will come when I pick it up and see the finished results, but so far so good.

Also, I did some research and found that it's best to wait 90 days for the paint to cure before installing a clear bra so I requested they hold off on this and I will bring the vehicle back at that time. In addition I asked that they make sure it is not waxed after the work is complete. I found about 90 days should pass before this is done as well.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:02 PM
Drifting

That's great (and deserved). Post up some pix when you get the car back. Hope it turns out well.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:41 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
That's great (and deserved). Post up some pix when you get the car back. Hope it turns out well.
Thanks man! I'll definitely post up some pics when I get her back. I haven't had the inaugural photo shoot yet and I'm dying to...it's gonna be a long three weeks!
Old 10-04-2011, 10:02 AM
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts
wow it's going to look good with the spoiler kit. That's awesome news.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:36 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by under9hell
wow it's going to look good with the spoiler kit. That's awesome news.
Thanks man. I'm definitely even more excited to get it back now!

Quick Reply: 2010 CBP - Paint Issue