Graphite 2012 TL Base Update

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 07:48 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Graphite 2012 TL Base Update

**Moderators: I wasn't sure where to post this b/c the Photo Gallery seems to be more for mods than just simple additions. I could be wrong**

*The pics total about 40 MB. So careful if you're trying to watch your bandwidth*

So, as some of you know, I bought my car back in July 2011. I posted pics when I first bought it, and asked for advice as to what I should do since this is my first car (I had a 1994 Jeep Cherokee I bought from a Police Auction when I was in HS). I've learned a lot of neat stuff about cars just by reading threads on this forum :-)

This is what I've done so far:
- Installed the Deck Lid Spoiler
- Installed a Rear Roof Spoiler
- Had Windows Tinted (35%)
- Added the SH-AWD Badge (I know people say it's tacky b/c I don't have the model, but I only put it on b/c it seemed to complete the look. Not sure if people get what I mean)

It's not much, but it does look WAY different from when I first bought it!

From just reading other threads, the following ideas seem like the next logical steps in transforming my car:
- Debadge the rear of my car. I liked the pics I've seen of others debadged cars.
- Replace lights w/ LEDs (license plate, door puddle, and sun visor mirror). I definitely want to do this!
- Getting 18"/19" tires and replacing the wheels. I really don't want to, only because I like the wheels I have now. Is there any specific reason why people seem to say the base TL's should upgrade form the 17"?
- Drop my car (it took me a long time to figure out what this meant). Again, is it really worth it?

Is there anything else you all think I should do? I'm still in school/college, so I'm not looking to spend too much/work on the car until the summer.

Rear (high)

Rear (low)

Side (high)

Side (low)

Rear (angle)

Side (angle-high)

Side (angle-low)

Front (high)

Front (low)

Front (angle-high)

Front (angle-low)

Wheels

Interior (rear-driver)

Interior (rear-passenger)

Interior (front-passenger)

Interior (front-driver)

Interior (Console)

Interior (Dashboard)

Last edited by timecop; 02-13-2012 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Msg to the Mods
Old 02-13-2012, 08:26 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
I would get a rv6 jpipe or atlp exhaust or both.

Also pre cat deletes or high flows.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:14 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I would remove the sh-awd badge if I were you.. Please dont perpetrate... thats like someone slapping an amg badge on a stock e55 or someone putting a m3 badge on a 325... smh.. other than that, your car looks great.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:20 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Timecop, you posting is fine here in the Photo Section!

You've got the rear spoiler and the roof spoiler.

I think that wheels and a drop would be great. A simple drop does wonders for the look and stance of your TL. It took me a few years to do mine, but I'm SO glad I did.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:15 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by gibbyisgibby
I would get a rv6 jpipe or atlp exhaust or both. Also pre cat deletes or high flows.
I've seen other posts w/ the rv6 jpipe & atlp exhaust on this forum. It's really cool, but I like how quiet my car is. I've seen install videos on YouTube...seems easy. What's the (average) cost?

Originally Posted by B.G.
I would remove the sh-awd badge if I were you.. Please dont perpetrate... thats like someone slapping an amg badge on a stock e55 or someone putting a m3 badge on a 325... smh.. other than that, your car looks great.
Thanks! I know, that's what people said when I first joined, but I'll probably keep it on. I don't think I'm doing any real harm by having it there. And I've never done the whole, "Oh yeah, it's the all-wheel drive model". But I see what you're saying.

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Timecop, you posting is fine here in the Photo Section! You've got the rear spoiler and the roof spoiler. I think that wheels and a drop would be great. A simple drop does wonders for the look and stance of your TL. It took me a few years to do mine, but I'm SO glad I did.
Thanks Mr. Bell :-) The wheels are super expensive, so I'm going to wait until summer 2012 to upgrade. I'm considering the drop, though! I just need to do a lot of research, because I'm not sure where to start lol
Old 02-14-2012, 10:02 AM
Scott

Received 156 Likes on 151 Posts
Hey Timecop, i like all the pics of your TL. I like to see the interior pics cause we dont see many of them on acurazine. I have mixed feelings about the shawd badge, but its your TL and if you like it - to each his own. Thanks for all the pics!
Old 02-14-2012, 10:14 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by LawnPro
Hey Timecop, i like all the pics of your TL. I like to see the interior pics cause we dont see many of them on acurazine. I have mixed feelings about the shawd badge, but its your TL and if you like it - to each his own. Thanks for all the pics!
Yeah, I added them on for that exact reason! I feel like it would be helpful for future purchasers/members.
I'm sure most users wouldn't like it on there, but like you said, to each his own :-)
Old 02-14-2012, 06:13 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
There's definately nothing wrong with having the shawd badge on it looks good and your car looks great just get some performance enhancements now.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:00 PM
Instructor

Any suggestions for performance enhancements? I'm open to anything :-)
Old 02-14-2012, 09:30 PM
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts
Look good man.
You can install splash guards too, they are pretty cheap, under $100.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:10 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Bodyside moldings?
Old 02-15-2012, 02:56 AM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
how come your seats are not like mines.. i have little dots and such, yours is just solid..

i believe the term is perforated?

Old 02-15-2012, 02:56 AM

nvm.. you have a base model..
Old 02-15-2012, 07:29 AM
Drifting

I believe the perforated leather (milano) is part of the tech package.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:57 AM
WINNING

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah...one other thing take of those ugly ugly ugly maryland tags....
front tags removed and get the Ravens tags for the rear

get some floor mats

Last edited by Steven Bell; 02-16-2012 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
The following users liked this post:
Bmoreaj (09-23-2012)
Old 02-15-2012, 10:09 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by under9hell
Look good man.
You can install splash guards too, they are pretty cheap, under $100.
Are these the Splash Guards? Their kinda expensive, but they seem like a good buy.
http://estore.honda.com/acura/access...TL00012002&dl=

Originally Posted by Treblig
Bodyside moldings?
Are they really worth purchasing? They look nice though! Does anyone have an image of what it would like with it on? And how easy is it to install?
http://estore.honda.com/acura/access...TL00012007&dl=

Originally Posted by potmilkz
nvm.. you have a base model..
Yeah lol But I do like the seats already...there're very nice. The hump for your center seat is kinda large! Is it b/c you have the SH-AWD model? Also, do you have any suggestions for me potmilkz?

Originally Posted by TLsMD
yeah...one other thing take of those ugly ugly ugly maryland tags....
front tags removed and get the Ravens tags for the rear
But I thought MD required you to have license plates on the front and the back, so I don't want to break that law. Also...Redskins all the way :-)

Originally Posted by TLsMD
get some floor mats
I have the All-Season Floor Mats. I didn't think it was worth listing. I'm planning on buying the Trunk Tray, since I use my trunk A LOT!
Old 02-15-2012, 01:53 PM
Scott

timecop, I bought my lip kit and rear spoiler on some of the acura dealerships on ebay. Before i installed my lip kit, i had the painted spash guards, and there definately cheaper on ebay, than the acura e store.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:34 PM
Instructor

These seem reasonably priced...and it includes shipping. I'll order them this weekend. I've never installed Splash Guards before. Is it as simple as I'm assuming it will be?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350514536187
Old 02-15-2012, 02:47 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where did you get your rear window spoiler?

Scott
Old 02-15-2012, 03:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by scottdavis
Where did you get your rear window spoiler?
It's sold on eBay here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...m=300654522726

You can find out more details on this thread:
https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-photograph-gallery-296/2012-rear-upper-wing-823090/
Old 02-16-2012, 07:42 PM
Intermediate

This might be a dumb question, but how do you open your trunk from the outside on the base models since you don't have the little button on the spoiler like the tech models?
Old 02-16-2012, 07:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by munkeepoo
This might be a dumb question, but how do you open your trunk from the outside on the base models since you don't have the little button on the spoiler like the tech models?
There's no such thing as a dumb question! I either use the key (trunk button), or press the open trunk button from the inside of the car. Here's what the base key looks like:
http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/v...S/P1080778.jpg
munkeepoo (02-16-2012)
Old 02-16-2012, 07:53 PM
Intermediate

Oh ok, so there is no way to open the trunk from the outside without using your remote? Like the 09 TSX that I had; the trunk could be opened from the outside by pushing the lever thingy by the rear license plate lights as long as the doors were unlocked.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:01 PM
Instructor

Oh ok, so there is no way to open the trunk from the outside without using your remote? Like the 09 TSX that I had; the trunk could be opened from the outside by pushing the lever thingy by the rear license plate lights as long as the doors were unlocked.
That's the only way I know how to access the trunk :-/
I'll check tomorrow and see if there's something simliar to what you had with your TSX.
Maybe someone else with a Base model will be able to chime in & verify.
Do you have any suggestions for my TL munkeepoo?
Old 02-16-2012, 08:08 PM
Intermediate

No, that is all señor, thanks. Your TL looks awesome btw! I definitely have to get the roof spoiler for my car now after seeing it on yours.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:00 PM
Scott

Originally Posted by timecop
These seem reasonably priced...and it includes shipping. I'll order them this weekend. I've never installed Splash Guards before. Is it as simple as I'm assuming it will be?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350514536187
Yes i thought they were a pretty easy install on the 4g tl. If im remember they come with some decent instructions, easy peasy.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:31 PM
Drifting

timecop, regarding the bodyside moldings and your question of them being worth it. Honestly, they are probably more "form" (asthetic) than "function" (usefulness) since they are placed so low on the doors. However, my reason for adding them was that they break up the massive slab-slided look of the car, and what little protection that they might provide is an added plus.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:29 PM
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts
Instruction to install splash guards:
http://acura.bernardiparts.com/Image...s_BII45424.pdf

and body side moldings:
http://acura.bernardiparts.com/Image...s_BII45407.pdf

I don't like the body side moldings, but if you're going to do it, post some pictures. I may change my mind

btw do this too:
https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/make-under-dash-lights-brighter-783070/

Last edited by under9hell; 02-17-2012 at 11:31 PM.
timecop (02-23-2012)
Old 02-17-2012, 11:54 PM
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
^^^^the forum for the LED under the dash was great thanks will be doing this this weekend
Old 02-23-2012, 08:29 AM
Instructor

Sorry for the late replies. I've been sick all week & I had 3 tests this week :-/
--
Originally Posted by Treblig
timecop, regarding the bodyside moldings and your question of them being worth it. Honestly, they are probably more "form" (asthetic) than "function" (usefulness) since they are placed so low on the doors. However, my reason for adding them was that they break up the massive slab-slided look of the car, and what little protection that they might provide is an added plus.
Do you have any pics? I try to get a look at other TLs as I'm driving, but I never get a clear picture.

Originally Posted by under9hell
I don't like the body side moldings, but if you're going to do it, post some pictures. I may change my mind
Thanks for the instructions! I just ordered the Splash Guards and they should be here this weekend. Yes, I'll be doing the lighting as well! Now that my tests are all over I have some free-time.

No, that is all señor, thanks. Your TL looks awesome btw! I definitely have to get the roof spoiler for my car now after seeing it on yours.
Be sure to check out the original thread:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=823090
Old 02-23-2012, 10:22 AM
Drifting

timecop,

Here are a couple of pics:

Old 02-27-2012, 07:04 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the pics Treblig...your car looks really sharp! They are placed really low on the car, so I doubt they'd help prevent from door dings lol But you have swayed me to get them. I like the way it sort of adds to car's look :-)
I received my splash guards this past weekend, so I'll install them next weekend. I'll try to find a decent deal on the side moldings on eBay right now.
Should I try to wait for a week where it's not raining to install the side-moldings? Or is a day good enough for the adhesive to set? I don't have a garage, so I don't want to mess it up.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:56 PM
Drifting

Thanks, they are a bit low and may not provide the best protection in most cases, but they look good (to me anyway). If it were me, I would wait for a dry and somewhat warm day to put the bodyside molding on. I had my done by the dealer however.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:14 PM
Instructor

Well, I just finished the last of my Midterms before Spring Break! It was nice out today, so I decided to install the Splash Guards before it rains again. Here are some quick pics:

Wide-View

Rear Close-Up (Angle 1)

Rear Close-Up (Angle 2)

Front Close-Up (Angle 1)

Front Close-Up (Angle 1)

I think the last two things I want to do for now are install the side-moldings (I went to my dealer after class and looked at it in person. It does look good). And drop my car.
I'm not so confident I could do that myself, so I was wondering if anyone could give me any details on what I need to know/do. I'll probably go into the Regional section of this forum and ask if anyone knows any person/shop that could do it for me. Thanks!
Old 08-22-2012, 09:37 AM
Instructor

I finally did a few changes to my TL. I've been busy with work and travel, but I found time in between to change a few things

Here's a quick run-down:
1.) Installed Wood grain steering wheel
2.) Installed Wood grain shift knob
3.) Installed door edge film (a pain in the dong)
4.) Replaced front nose/shield with one painted to match the body color
5.) Had dealer install the under-body spoiler kit. I know I should of tried it myself, but I looked through the instructions and thought the dealer would prob have more experience and would do it right the first time.

I did have a question for you all though! After the UBSK install, I noticed my car sounded a little, I guess louder, when turning it on and off. Maybe it was like that before and I just never listened to it...who knows. I asked the dealer and they said it was the way the kit encapsulated the rear, being the reason I can now hear it. That sounded iffy, so I thought I'd just record it and let you all listen and let me know if it's normal. The clips are short, and I suggest 720p only to here a better version of the audio:

--

Now for some pics! I used my BlackBerry to take them, so I'll try to get my friend's Canon again to get some real nice pics like before

All of the pieces arrived in 3 separate FedEx trucks...1st in the morning, second in the afternoon, third in the evening. It was REALLY annoying lol

After the dealer finished installing the underbody kit

Passenger (rear)

Driver (rear)

Full rear

Passenger (front)

Passenger (front)

Full Front

And here's a few pics next to a 3rd gen TL at work

Old 08-22-2012, 01:04 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
The body kit looks good, nice color TL
Old 08-22-2012, 04:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
You should put a type-R badge on the left side of the lower trunk to even things out.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:38 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JT4
The body kit looks good, nice color TL
Thank you sir! Here's some more pics to finish up the thread:

Door Edge Film (Outside)

Door Edge Film (Inside)

Wood Grain (Steering Wheel)

Wood Grain (Shift Knob)

Wood Grain (Stock)
Old 09-10-2012, 10:51 AM

nice!

but i just find it weird how you can drop soo much money on the accessory parts but not opt'ed to get the tech package..
Old 09-10-2012, 11:02 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by potmilkz
nice!

but i just find it weird how you can drop soo much money on the accessory parts but not opt'ed to get the tech package..
I can answer that! I got to move up a little on the pay scale where I work, sometime around the beginning of this summer. So I was finally able to do all of the great mods you all at AZ do without fear of going broke.
Last year when I bought the car, all I did was install the rear spoiler/roof spoiler and had my windows tinted (less than $1000).
Had I known last year I was gonna be stepped up, I would have waited and just bought the 2012 Tech model. But I'm happy with the base model. The only thing I wish I had was the backup camera. It's really hard to park in DC lol I might try my luck with the backup sensors.

Last edited by timecop; 09-10-2012 at 11:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Graphite 2012 TL Base Update