Let's get an Exhaust thread going.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2021, 07:58 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey does anyone know where to find an xlr8 v2 j pipe for the fwd 3.5L? I've yet to seen one and the only one ive found was on heel toe and they stopped selling xlr8 parts all together.
Old 09-24-2021, 01:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally Posted by Soal Man
Like to contribute to this thread. I purchased the Borla's Pro-XS 40357 along with the dual tips. I was torn between the Magnaflows or Borla's. I know that the ATLP & XLR8 is top notch & if I could afford it I would've jumped on either one, but unfortunately gotta pay the bills so Yuh end of story.

can anyone please tell me what kind of exhaust tips those are exactly?

Last edited by WDPanda; 09-24-2021 at 01:11 AM.
Old 09-24-2021, 06:58 AM
The inconvenient truth

Received 438 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by WDPanda
can anyone please tell me what kind of exhaust tips those are exactly?
From eBay 09 to 14 TL stainless steel quad tips
The following users liked this post:
WDPanda (09-24-2021)
Old 12-29-2021, 02:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

My tips and car are dirty, but that's its natural look anyway lol

Old 01-14-2022, 12:21 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by beat
I come from the 8th gen honda civic world ( 2006-2011 ) and even with a much more "tunable" platform, there was only 2-3 common really good cat-back ( nvidia, full-race, skunk2 )....
I can relate. I still own an 8th Gen Si sedan. I love how the cold air intakes and Skunk2 exhaust brings the vtec sound alive. I want the same with my 4th gen TL. I have the 6spd manual 3.7l shawd. I understand that to get the most accurate air fuel efficiency/performance is with a ktuner or some other tuning solution. But what I really want to know is if the exhaust solutions yall bring out the vtec sound. I am considering putting dual Skunk2's instead of the stock mufflers. Has anyone else done this or chose a custom muffler instead? Thoughts? Is the intake the only thing that really brings out the vtec crossover? New to the site and thread. Hope to hear some productive feedback.
Thanks.
Old 01-24-2022, 12:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Johnnyguitar5
I can relate. I still own an 8th Gen Si sedan. I love how the cold air intakes and Skunk2 exhaust brings the vtec sound alive. I want the same with my 4th gen TL. I have the 6spd manual 3.7l shawd. I understand that to get the most accurate air fuel efficiency/performance is with a ktuner or some other tuning solution. But what I really want to know is if the exhaust solutions yall bring out the vtec sound. I am considering putting dual Skunk2's instead of the stock mufflers. Has anyone else done this or chose a custom muffler instead? Thoughts? Is the intake the only thing that really brings out the vtec crossover? New to the site and thread. Hope to hear some productive feedback.
Thanks.
I would say I hear more of the VTEC with an exhaust, but not as loud as a short ram intake.
I'm running Borla ProXS and the WOT in 3rd, 4th gear redline sounds amazing coming from the rear.
Old 05-15-2022, 03:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How can we get the most premium sounding exhaust? This is probably a stupid question, but I'm talking about something like a Maserati. I like that powerful, but not too loud humming note.

Old 05-16-2022, 07:56 AM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 94 Posts
Buy a car with a V8.
Old 05-16-2022, 07:52 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vertigo2
Buy a car with a V8.
​​​​​​
Fair enough, but even something like a G37 has a nicer exhaust note in my opinion.
Old 05-16-2022, 08:23 PM
The inconvenient truth

Received 438 Likes on 323 Posts
It's so subjective... This thread was created in 2014. Scroll back and if you can't find something that you like then you never will.

Last edited by dopeboy1; 05-16-2022 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-01-2022, 02:04 PM
Longtime Lurker

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by dopeboy1
It's so subjective... This thread was created in 2014. Scroll back and if you can't find something that you like then you never will.
Agreed. Exhaust beauty is in the ear of the beholder. Things might be different now, but when I was researching exhaust kits most everyone used Magnaflo components so they all sounded pretty much the same to me. Only the XLR8 kit sounded truly unique and had more of that Ferrari/Maz sound you are talking about. It was made by BillyBoat Exhaust for XLR8 Performance but they no longer make the kit (BBE is still in business though and make amazing kits for Vspec Caddy's and Vetts, etc). Their 4GTL kit paired with the V2 catless J-pipe sounds amazing and 3yrs later I'm still glad I was able to snag the set.
For that continued fast idle sound, PCD's and some Ktuner tuning can make that happen for you. 😁
Old 07-13-2022, 03:49 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by bigwavedave25
Agreed. Exhaust beauty is in the ear of the beholder. Things might be different now, but when I was researching exhaust kits most everyone used Magnaflo components so they all sounded pretty much the same to me. Only the XLR8 kit sounded truly unique and had more of that Ferrari/Maz sound you are talking about. It was made by BillyBoat Exhaust for XLR8 Performance but they no longer make the kit (BBE is still in business though and make amazing kits for Vspec Caddy's and Vetts, etc). Their 4GTL kit paired with the V2 catless J-pipe sounds amazing and 3yrs later I'm still glad I was able to snag the set.
For that continued fast idle sound, PCD's and some Ktuner tuning can make that happen for you. 😁

Lucky man, I just did some digging on the BBE for XLR8 and now i'm pretty jealous of ya!

I'm running a ATLP quad tip, Resonated, on my SHAWD TL with the RV6 Jpipe and a Takeda SRI. So far I love it but I'm wondering how the note will change once I put the RV6 HFPCs onto it. I'm gonna be keeping an eye out for a BBE just to see if i can get lucky.

Cheers,
Old 01-27-2023, 02:01 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brock79
I know there is a Wheel thread going for the 4G, so let's get one going for the aftermarket exhaust. Sounds clips would be great as well. There are a lot of different set ups out there and there are members on here that want to add an aftermarket exhaust. I know you can search youtube, but the videos are spread out and it's easier to asks members on here about their set ups.
I did 1 muffler delete and high flow cats without j pipe, and it honestly sounds pretty good compared to the VQ’s with full exhaust. Not too loud and no drone. I’ll post clip when I get it
Old 01-27-2023, 12:14 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,192 Likes on 896 Posts
Originally Posted by 4G.TL
​​​​​​
Fair enough, but even something like a G37 has a nicer exhaust note in my opinion.
yeesh...the VQ sounds like trash, IMO.

The J series sounds massively better.

Exhaust notes come from the engine's design (volume and velocity of air its moving, cylinder bank angle, piston speed, etc), and also exhaust design.

Lets use the VQ for example...
The VQ in the G37 uses equal length tubular headers. The G37's stock exhaust varies from coupe to sedan. The sedan's piping design is meant to cancel out some of the sound waves - similar to noise canceling headphones that place one SIN wave in opposition to another. The coupe's piping is designed to cancel out fewer waves.

Resonators are then used to damp certain frequencies.

And mufflers are then used to tune the volume of those remaining frequencies.

You can apply those principles to any car, and tune the noise to fit any application. The VQ in the G37 sounds different than the VQ in the Quest or Frontier. A G37 exhaust design would be a poor choice for a Frontier because it would produce a lot of drone while towing a load at a constant RPM, for example.

The J series has a much sweeter and smoother noise. Its damped naturally due to the piping lengths. Changing just a J pipe to allow for equal length runners will make the car louder just because there's less sound cancellation.

That's an abbreviated version of the "science" behind exhaust sound.

You can play around with the variables to get a specific sound.

You wanna hear more of a certain frequency? Delete one of the resonators.

Wanna hear the existing frequencies louder? Delete a muffler.

Wanna modify the frequencies that are produced? Change the header pairings, piping crossovers, header tubing lengths, J pipe, etc. This will also change the amount of sound the mufflers and resonators need to deal with...so inherent, it will make the car louder or quieter.

To make the J sound more like a VQ, you'd need equal length headers to produce that "hear all the pulses at once" sound. That will also make it louder and more tinny, depending on the wall thickness of the headers.

And then just change J pipes to equal lengths.

That should get you maybe 60% of the way there. Then tune resonators and exhaust piping crossover lengths.

You'll never get fully there because, IIRC, the VQ block's bank angle is different from the J series. Meaning the crank pin angles are different. Meaning the cylinder pulse pairing is different.

Last edited by BROlando; 01-27-2023 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-27-2023, 12:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,192 Likes on 896 Posts
Edit...maybe I'm wrong on bank angle. It looks like both are 60 deg engines. Makes sense because they need to shove them into a huge variation of cars.
Old 02-14-2023, 12:12 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm jealous of the exhaust setups. If anyone is seling a stock SHAWD exhaust system, please let me know.