Sound not working out of some speakers

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 04:15 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sound not working out of some speakers

Before Christmas I installed a new set of door speakers and rear deck speakers in my 09 Navi TL. I followed the instructions in https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-b.../#post15326902 and even used the same model of speakers. (Infinity 6032)

They sounded great for up until a week or two ago, when they stopped working. It wasn't all the speakers, just the 4 new ones that I had installed. I noticed after going over a bump they cut out...I immediately thought of a ground fault or that a wire had popped off.

1 - I removed the door panels and took the speakers out...no problems.
2- When I pulled the speaker away from the door to eliminate any ground issues with the door, it wouldn't play.
3- I took one of the speakers out and connected it to my shop radio and it played fine.
4- I checked the audio related fuses and didn't see anything there either.
5- I took the trunk panels out and checked the connection to the amp.
6- The wiring from the amp to the speakers was good as well with a simple continuity test.
7- Running the speaker diagnostics, I get tones from the center speaker, the subwoofer, and the speakers in the rear doors (the ones I didn't change). There is no tone from the tweeters, but they are on the same circuit as the front door speakers.

Any ideas?
Old 02-08-2015, 06:26 PM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey,

You should try hooking up one of your old speakers back up to the door or the rear deck and see if you can get anything out of it. I know this is obvious, but also ensure that the balance and fader on your head unit is set to the center.

If you still can't get an output from any of the locations where you have installed the new speakers but the rest of the system works fine you may have damaged the factory amp supplying power to those speakers.

I'm not sure what kind of speakers you installed but It's possible that excessive power draw from your after market speakers overheated/damaged your amp, although this isn't very likely...

Or like you said maybe a wire or the back of the speaker was grounding out and may have damaged the amplifier. That being said, I think there is only one ELS amp that powers the entire system so you may have just fried 2 of the channels.

Either way it doesn't sound like a speaker issue anymore if you are getting them to play fine on your shop radio. I hope your problem is something simpler and not an amplifier issue otherwise you will be needing a new DSP/summing device and new AMP to power those speaker. The fact that the rest of your speakers are working normally is encouraging. Let me know when you figure it out!

Hope this helps,

Clint
The following users liked this post:
ncsustash (02-08-2015)
Old 02-08-2015, 06:45 PM
Advanced

Yeah...thanks for the reply and it does help. I tossed my old speakers after about a month because there weren't any issues. I am going to hook up some book shelf speakers to the door wires to make sure it isn't the speakers getting grounded out in that configuration as there doesn't seem to be any obvious problems.

Your blown amp sounds like a reasonable explanation, but I will keep crossing things off the list to keep from having to replace it. I certainly wouldn't want to replace it and the same thing happen in a few months.

The speakers were:

Infinity Reference 6032cf 6.5-Inch 180-Watt High-Performance 2-Way Speakers Infinity Reference 6032cf 6.5-Inch 180-Watt High-Performance 2-Way Speakers
Old 08-19-2021, 09:13 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by ncsustash
Yeah...thanks for the reply and it does help. I tossed my old speakers after about a month because there weren't any issues. I am going to hook up some book shelf speakers to the door wires to make sure it isn't the speakers getting grounded out in that configuration as there doesn't seem to be any obvious problems.

Your blown amp sounds like a reasonable explanation, but I will keep crossing things off the list to keep from having to replace it. I certainly wouldn't want to replace it and the same thing happen in a few months.

The speakers were:

Infinity Reference 6032cf 6.5-Inch 180-Watt High-Performance 2-Way Speakers
Hello. I know this is an old thread, but I am experiencing a similar issue and am wondering if you ever found a fix/solution?

I have a 2014 TL SH-AWD with Tech Package w/ ELS sound system. When I purchased the car one of the stock rear deck 6.5" speakers was blown, so I decided to jump in and replace both rear deck 6.5" and both front door 6.5" speakers before they went as well. For reference I installed JBL GX628 GX Series 6.5" 2-Way Coaxial speakers in all 4 locations. Specs are as follows: 180W peak power (60W nominal), 50Hz-21kHz range, 2.3 ohms impedance (I believe the stock are 2 ohm, and this was the closest spec I could find as an aftermarket replacement). I used Metra 72-7800 Honda/Acura wiring harnesses to mate the speakers to the original OE harnesses without cutting any wires. Super clean and relatively easy install with the adapters I fitted to the speakers.

Once installed, all 4 speakers worked great for about a week and a half, until while driving one day the 2 front door speakers cut out and stopped producing any sound completely. I thought, like you, that something must have come undone and thought nothing of it. Fast forward a couple days and while driving on a rough road the 2 front door speakers came back to life and started working again (which I thought confirmed a ground out or loose wire somewhere). The following morning after starting the car, the speakers were not working again. It's been a couple weeks now with no sound from them and today I pulled both door panels and checked all connections, added some dielectric grease and reconnected everything....still not working. The two speakers that I installed in the rear deck are still working just fine, as is the center dash speaker (it's hard to distinguish if the A pillar tweeters are working, but from your post I suspect they may be out as well if they are in the same circuit as the front door speakers).

Not sure where to go from here, as I have a lot of mechanical experience under my belt, but very little electrical/sound system diagnostic experience. Curious if anyone else has had a similar problem and has found the solution...
Old 08-20-2021, 06:52 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
your mechanical experience will help you troubleshoot the electrical/sound system.
your issue is unique to your situation, as you have aftermarket equipment....meaning no one else will have the same issues as you.
since you pulled the door cards and have found no crimps in wires/no loose connections, the next step would be to see if the speakers are actually receiving power... again, your mechanical experience will help you diagnose this as troubleshooting is all the same.

the bump in the road and speakers working again seems to be a crimp or loose connections.
I am not an electrical engineer nor a mechanical engineer but I have great troubleshooting skills.
it's all the same.

Last edited by justnspace; 08-20-2021 at 06:54 AM.
Old 08-20-2021, 03:21 PM
3rd Gear

Thank you for the reply justnspace. I am definitely going to start diagnosing more as soon as I get a chance. I thought that since the only modification to the my sound system was a simple speaker swap (I retained all factory wiring harnesses, amp, and head unit), this would be a common enough mod that others have done the same and experienced a similar issue without it being entirely specific to my case. The OP seemed to have the exact same problem, having also just swapped speakers and nothing else. Unfortunately, a resolution was never posted.

I'm beginning to wonder now if something happened to my factory amp and it messed with the channels going to the front door speakers. It seems intuitive that just replacing speakers that have a higher max watt range than the stock ELS junk would not damage the factory amp in any way (I may be wrong ???). Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and knows which direction to go before I spend time pulling everything apart again and go poking around with my multimeter.

In taking your advice on checking power to the speakers: Would an AC voltage test at the factory speaker harness while the stereo is playing be the best way to check that? Or am I looking for an ohm resistance? Also, from what I have read, the factory amp is located in the trunk (passenger side), is there a way to test the output of the amp to the front door speakers to see if that is a problem as well?

A final thought: Would a single damaged wire in one of the adapter harnesses I installed cause all the speakers to go out at once, or just that speaker? I'm considering replacing them after testing for continuity since they are only about $15 a pair.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge here, like I said, I have rebuilt almost everything else on various cars, but when it comes to sound systems I'm pretty green...
Old 09-02-2021, 07:41 PM
3rd Gear

One update: There is a very short audible pop from the rear speakers when the car starts and the audio system powers up. I do not recall hearing it before losing sound from the front door speakers/tweeters. Does anyone know if this indicates some sort of change or damage to the factory amplifier function?
Old 01-23-2022, 11:49 AM
1st Gear

No sound from front speakers after install

Originally Posted by -03TLtype-S-
One update: There is a very short audible pop from the rear speakers when the car starts and the audio system powers up. I do not recall hearing it before losing sound from the front door speakers/tweeters. Does anyone know if this indicates some sort of change or damage to the factory amplifier function?
I'm having the same issue. My drivers front door speaker makes a pop sound but that's it. Did you have any luck solving your issue?