NAVTOOL 5.0 WIth Apple carplay Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2021, 06:55 AM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have pictures of your setup mrphilipanderson? Where did you run your wires to the unit ? Did you drill any holes ?

Originally Posted by mrphilipanderson
I put my unit on top of the glove box attached with Velcro.
Old 07-05-2021, 06:59 PM
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
I was not able to fit my unit under the radio, I fit it under the bluetooth module (basically right behind/under the "This is not an ashtray" storage area) All the wires were more than long enough to route to there easily.
Old 07-05-2021, 09:45 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Blaze9
I was not able to fit my unit under the radio, I fit it under the bluetooth module (basically right behind/under the "This is not an ashtray" storage area) All the wires were more than long enough to route to there easily.
did you took it off the “This is not an ashtray” storage area or did you put it right behind it ? Which car do you have and model ?
Old 08-11-2021, 12:03 PM
4th Gear

NavTool audio/Video interference

Anybody had any luck with the audio interference or video ?
Did the noise isolator plug work out for the audio interference ?
How about video interference any luck with that ?
The following users liked this post:
WhiteA-SpecRDX (08-16-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 06:18 PM
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
I have a 2012 FWD TL. I just took it out to do the install, but put it back once I was done.
Old 08-16-2021, 10:51 AM
4th Gear

bump
Old 08-20-2021, 08:31 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
hey guys not sure if you had any luck with fixing your issues, but i had navtool for close to 3 years, it worked well when it worked, but took a big crap on me about a month ago and completely died...the only thing it was able to do was drain my battery every other day to the point i needed to have a trickle charger hooked up otherwise my car wouldn't start each morning. I emailed Navtool support 3 times within 3 weeks and did not get a single response...it seems like after your warranty is up, they don't give a shit. I researched and ended up buying a GROM Vline2 unit, and in my limited time with it installed, it is FAR better than the navtool unit. Check it out if you have too many issues with navtool. The Grom Vline2 unit also has wireless carplay and wireless android auto as the main feature that separates it from navtool, plus it lets you use your steering wheel controls for audio stuff...BIG plus! (at least it supports it for my 2015 Acura TLX)...anyway, you can check out my previous posts about navtool when i installed it about 3 years ago and i was happy with it, but support is non existent so i pulled the trigger on the Vline2 unit and it works as well, and better then navtool. I sung praises for navtool when i had it, but they really dropped the ball on the development side and customer service side which is sad cause it USED to be a great product. time to move on for me and time to spread the word about Vline2! lol
Old 09-30-2021, 11:57 PM
6th Gear

Grom vs Navtool

Originally Posted by swedrows
hey guys not sure if you had any luck with fixing your issues, but i had navtool for close to 3 years, it worked well when it worked, but took a big crap on me about a month ago and completely died...the only thing it was able to do was drain my battery every other day to the point i needed to have a trickle charger hooked up otherwise my car wouldn't start each morning. I emailed Navtool support 3 times within 3 weeks and did not get a single response...it seems like after your warranty is up, they don't give a shit. I researched and ended up buying a GROM Vline2 unit, and in my limited time with it installed, it is FAR better than the navtool unit. Check it out if you have too many issues with navtool. The Grom Vline2 unit also has wireless carplay and wireless android auto as the main feature that separates it from navtool, plus it lets you use your steering wheel controls for audio stuff...BIG plus! (at least it supports it for my 2015 Acura TLX)...anyway, you can check out my previous posts about navtool when i installed it about 3 years ago and i was happy with it, but support is non existent so i pulled the trigger on the Vline2 unit and it works as well, and better then navtool. I sung praises for navtool when i had it, but they really dropped the ball on the development side and customer service side which is sad cause it USED to be a great product. time to move on for me and time to spread the word about Vline2! lol
I did a bit of research on the Vline but I’d like to know what significant differences there are between it and Navtool, other than one being wireless. Do they have the same functions and add on capabilities- such as for a fire stick or ports for aftermarket cameras? I apologize if my questioning is confusing, I’m still a bit ignorant with these devices other than what I’ve read on this thread. The product sites don’t offer a lot of information. TIA
Old 10-01-2021, 07:58 AM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TennesseeTL
I did a bit of research on the Vline but I’d like to know what significant differences there are between it and Navtool, other than one being wireless. Do they have the same functions and add on capabilities- such as for a fire stick or ports for aftermarket cameras? I apologize if my questioning is confusing, I’m still a bit ignorant with these devices other than what I’ve read on this thread. The product sites don’t offer a lot of information. TIA
I use the VLine on my Acura RDX 2014, before that i used Navtool and went through the same problems than most people and ended up getting a refund but i had enough time to test it, so in terms of differences:
-The Navtool is only limited to wired Android Auto, wired Carplay and Camera integration / VLINE is an android device so the possibilities are limitless (e.g. installing any android app/google apps without relying on android auto/carplay), it also has its own GPS antenna so you can use NAV apps without android auto. It also has WIRELESS android auto and Carplay unlike Navtool.
-Vline allows you to add additional cameras (you need to buy the VAUX adapter from them ~$10) like Navtool.
-Vline and Navtool allow you to add external input sources (firestick, ect.).
-Unlike Navtool, the VLine team is very active in terms of updates and adding functionalities.

One piece of advice though, from my personal experience, if your VLine works well, do not update the system firmware/software even if their team advises you to do so. My Vline failed twice and it was right after firmware updates. I live in Canada, so the back and forth with them is REALLY time consuming (e.g. 1 month to get a cable or unit replaced and i have to pay for shipping fees).

Hope it helps.
Old 10-01-2021, 10:48 AM
6th Gear

Sounds promising

Originally Posted by slayer2333
I use the VLine on my Acura RDX 2014, before that i used Navtool and went through the same problems than most people and ended up getting a refund but i had enough time to test it, so in terms of differences:
-The Navtool is only limited to wired Android Auto, wired Carplay and Camera integration / VLINE is an android device so the possibilities are limitless (e.g. installing any android app/google apps without relying on android auto/carplay), it also has its own GPS antenna so you can use NAV apps without android auto. It also has WIRELESS android auto and Carplay unlike Navtool.
-Vline allows you to add additional cameras (you need to buy the VAUX adapter from them ~$10) like Navtool.
-Unlike Navtool, the VLine team is very active in terms of updates and adding functionalities.

One piece of advice though, from my personal experience, if your VLine works well, do not update the system firmware/software even if their team advises you to do so. My Vline failed twice and it was right after firmware updates. I live in Canada, so the back and forth with them is REALLY time consuming (e.g. 1 month to get a cable or unit replaced and i have to pay for shipping fees).

Hope it helps.
I really appreciate you taking the time to explain the differences/ likeness of the devices. There’s really not a big discrepancy in price between the two, especially considering the benefits of the wireless and better support/updates.

Seems like a no-brainer; I’m about to pull the trigger.
Too bad they don’t offer a commission or referral bonus, ‘cause you sold me on it lol

Thanks again for the detailed write up.
Old 10-10-2021, 12:52 PM
6th Gear

Vline woes

Originally Posted by slayer2333

Hope it helps.
So, I pulled the trigger on the Vline. I installed it per exact instructions (with the exception of the reverse wire that they instructed to tap into, which was not the right pin clip) and I get absolutely nothing. They say to scroll through AUX until “Vline” appears on the screen, but I get no such message or screen! What’s strange is, when it’s on the cd source, it completely freezes up and doesn’t allow me to use any buttons such as map, audio etc..and as soon as I use another source (Bluetooth, HDD) it goes back to its normal functionality. It’s as if it’s using ‘cd’ as it’s source but I’m not getting any video. I emailed Grom but I figured I’d ask you, as well as the community, if they have any advice whilst waiting for a response from Grom. And hopefully this information could help someone else if they choose to order the unit for their 4th gen TL w nav.