Navigation - Subcategories

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 09:05 AM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
Navigation - Subcategories

I don't know about you, but this feature pisses me off to no end. Why in the hell, when I am searching for a destination by name, do I have to select a subcategory? It makes no sense and causes more headaches than anything else.

An example..I searched for Macys the other day, and rather than simply showing me all the stores sorted by distance I had to select a subcategory. It never fails that there are at least a half dozen of these to choose from even though all Macys are the same.

This happens to me regularly no matter what I'm searching for, and it adds so many clicks of the button to find what what I need.

It also makes it much more tedious for me to find out if the place I'm looking for isn't even in the database...which happens more often than it should. I know it's not a matter of having an outdated database either because this happens in my wife's 2012 Pilot with the same navigation.

I know that no system is perfect, but you have to wonder what kind of dipshits are actually testing them.

/endrant
Old 06-04-2012, 10:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 100 Posts
it has its quirks, i don't like how illogical entering addresses is. Should be very simple voice command of 'City', the 'street' then '#'
Old 06-07-2012, 10:28 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Booya4139
it has its quirks, i don't like how illogical entering addresses is. Should be very simple voice command of 'City', the 'street' then '#'
It bothered me at first, but over the last 2 years I have found it to be very helpful. I was in Los Angeles last week, and thank God for the sub categories, as the name I entered was not exactly correct, but the sub categories broke it down into 3 groups, and group 2 had what I was looking for.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:39 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I absolutely HATE the GPS - when I try to enter an address, it keeps cutting me off and telling me to do a voice command. Then when I switch to voice command, it switches over to something completely different, like a radio command .

I had an add-on Garmin on my former vehicle, and it was easy as pie. I want to rip out the entire GPS and replace it. Have been to the dealer 3x to get help, and while it works when I am there (albeit very tediously), it is hell when I am on the road.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:44 AM
Drifting

I tried to find a nearby wing place the other day. I figured I'd try a different approach and select the category first...I chose restaurants. I then started typing Buffalo for Buffalo Wings & Rings and everytime I would get Buf entered it would automatically make it Buffet...basically telling me there are no restaurants in Orlando with the word Buffalo in them. Forget about the one I was searching for (that's been there for years), there are at least half a dozen Buffalo Wild Wings. I don't get it!
Old 06-08-2012, 10:55 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Data Base is what it is, provided by a 3rd part company,,

Originally Posted by ucf_bronco
I tried to find a nearby wing place the other day. I figured I'd try a different approach and select the category first...I chose restaurants. I then started typing Buffalo for Buffalo Wings & Rings and every time I would get but entered it would automatically make it Buffet...basically telling me there are no restaurants in Orlando with the word Buffalo in them. Forget about the one I was searching for (that's been there for years), there are at least half a dozen Buffalo Wild Wings. I don't get it!
I understand your frustration. I think we have all had the same results. I use to be that way 2 years ago, but I have learned EVERY VOICE COMMAND for my TL. And I only do things by voice unless I have no choice... I think when you see the NEW 2013 Acura RL, the navigation system will be the Next generation NAV for Acura, and will be an indication of things to come... Remember, Acura is all about SAFETY, so not being distracted by having to push lots of Icons on the screen, is part of their strategy. Acura has probably the BEST voice controlled Nav System.

I drive a Chevy Volt at work as part of the company's Car pool Vehicle fleet. The information screen is touch, Hate It, not to mention the hundreds of finger prints from every other person touching it. I have handy wipes to clean off the screen SCUM before i use it.

Considering what you got for the money when you added the TECH package, it is a Great Value. Audi wants $850 just to add a rear backup camera!!
Old 06-08-2012, 03:09 PM
Drifting

Yeah, through all my bitching and moaning I still do like the navi. I didn't have one at all in my old car so no matter what it's a huge step up from that...as well as from the one in my wife's old 2005 Lexus ES330.

It can be a PITA at times but so can my wife, and I still love her
Old 06-10-2012, 11:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 533 Likes on 343 Posts
I have a very strong dislike (not using the word "hate" because it isn't totally useless) for Acura's Navi system, and mine has been more annoying than helpful about 80% of the time.

And I have provided feedback to Acura.

Originally Posted by RSLTSX09XMNAVWX
I understand your frustration. I think we have all had the same results. I use to be that way 2 years ago, but I have learned EVERY VOICE COMMAND for my TL. And I only do things by voice unless I have no choice... I think when you see the NEW 2013 Acura RL, the navigation system will be the Next generation NAV for Acura, and will be an indication of things to come... Remember, Acura is all about SAFETY, so not being distracted by having to push lots of Icons on the screen, is part of their strategy. Acura has probably the BEST voice controlled Nav System.
The voice commands rarely work properly for me, though.

I drive a Chevy Volt at work as part of the company's Car pool Vehicle fleet. The information screen is touch, Hate It, not to mention the hundreds of finger prints from every other person touching it. I have handy wipes to clean off the screen SCUM before i use it.
But other than it being touch screen, how does the system actually function?

[/quote]Considering what you got for the money when you added the TECH package, it is a Great Value. Audi wants $850 just to add a rear backup camera!! [/quote]
To be honest, I would much rather have the option to buy the back up camera (which I really enjoy having and comes in handy for me daily) than to have Acura's current method and pay a couple grand for a Navi I don't want. I am glad to see that they *MAY* be going this route, if the ILX is any indication. However, the package set up is still a bit nonsensical.