My upgrade to the base factory system

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 09:10 AM
Drifting

Received 673 Likes on 542 Posts
My upgrade to the base factory system

I have the base system in my Tl and i was not very happy with the low end (bass) from the system, the high's sound very clean however.I decided to look at different options that i had to upgrade the bass because i felt that by adding more depth to the system it would sound very good since there is a good front stage,after much searching and some research i decided to purchase a Sony ZZR class D mono block amp and a Kicker Comp 10 sub,building the box was a bit of a challenge because it is tapered front to back and top to bottom as well there is the seat belt mechanism on the right side to contend with anyways i was looking for a project and i wanted to do this myself,so i made a template (pic 1) and ran it along the area of the trunk i wanted to put the box to make sure that everything would clear,i made the box from 3/4 mdf and put it together with a brad nailer and liquid nail,i wanted to make it as air tight as possible since it would be a sealed enclosure. i took a feed of the original sub to use as an input to the amp (high level input) since i did not want to use a line level converter and by using the original feed i can still use the contols from the head unit to control the bass output. The finished product looks clean to me (pic 2) and i am very happy with the results as it is deep an clean at low volume.I could have gone all crazy and put my award winning retro system(pic 3) that i had in my 1994 Tbird Supercoupe but i am over the bass head days lol.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:02 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks Good
Old 09-17-2011, 01:48 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by SmokeTL
Looks Good

Thank you,sounds good as well,i still have most of the trunk available so not much of a sacrifice that way.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:58 AM
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
How much did it cost you everything said and done? It looks gangster!
Old 09-21-2011, 07:00 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by EazyRider562
How much did it cost you everything said and done? It looks gangster!

Amp and sub was $300 and $90 for wiring kit,fabrication of the box and install was done by myself,so approx $400 for awsome sound was totally worth for me.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:24 PM
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
The original system doesn't sound that good without the tech package?
Old 09-22-2011, 04:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
Im confused, where did the 3 subs picture come into play? You'd get better more full bass, better sub response, less drone, much less rattle, and probably even more volume out of one good 12 on a good amp, in a properly sized box. 3 of those in that tight proximity and that small of an enclosure; you're not hearing the subs in their proper range or volume; they're fighting each other.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:02 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by EazyRider562
The original system doesn't sound that good without the tech package?
Not to me,but that's just my opinion.

Originally Posted by Pseudomaniac
Im confused, where did the 3 subs picture come into play? You'd get better more full bass, better sub response, less drone, much less rattle, and probably even more volume out of one good 12 on a good amp, in a properly sized box. 3 of those in that tight proximity and that small of an enclosure; you're not hearing the subs in their proper range or volume; they're fighting each other.
If you read my full post you will see that the three subs was just an alternate system that i could have put in the car if i wanted,instead i opted for a single 10" sub and 1 amp,you are right about using three 12's in a small enclosure and i am well aware of that.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:51 PM
Drifting

My car is now parked for the winter and i have had some time to rework my install which i was not too happy with,not to mention a few forum members thought it looked "gettho" (potmilkz,Pseudomaniac) i do appreciate the feedback so that i can consider it and improve as necessary.I made a completely new enclosure and i did want to flush mount the amp but there is not enough room and i did not want to reduce the volume of the enclosure.Those of you who have this car knows that the area that i am using is very small and i want to use it so that i can have most of my trunk available,this is a diy install

I appreciate any feedback positive or negative,thanks for looking.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:25 PM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
I'm impressed man. Though I was impressed with your first one as well. I consider myself pretty capable when it comes to most things, but I don't believe I could build a box like that.

It sucks because I have a JL Audio 12" W3 and a 450 watt Alpine amp just begging to be installed. I hate to but I think I'm gonna have to shell a few hundred bucks to have a custom box built. What you have is exactly what I have in mind...nothing flashy but stock looking. I've seen one that goes on the left side of the trunk but I'd rather have it where yours is.

Great job!
Old 10-31-2011, 06:35 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Very nice indeed! I too like the clean look of this install more than the one on the side. Excellent!
Old 10-31-2011, 07:50 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ucf_bronco
I'm impressed man. Though I was impressed with your first one as well. I consider myself pretty capable when it comes to most things, but I don't believe I could build a box like that.

It sucks because I have a JL Audio 12" W3 and a 450 watt Alpine amp just begging to be installed. I hate to but I think I'm gonna have to shell a few hundred bucks to have a custom box built. What you have is exactly what I have in mind...nothing flashy but stock looking. I've seen one that goes on the left side of the trunk but I'd rather have it where yours is.

Great job!
Thank you,i like JL Audio a lot and your system should rock,i am not sure a 12" sub will fit in that area,the Kicker sub i used is similar to a shallow mount so it is not as deep as a standard sub,the enclosure is not that difficult to fabricate but getting the front to fit tight requires a lot of patience,it helps that my car is now stored.

Originally Posted by sarge_in
Very nice indeed! I too like the clean look of this install more than the one on the side. Excellent!
Thank's,i also like the area i used,it seems to blend in better and gives a nice clean look.