Constant Phonebook "Importing" on 2012 TL

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 04:17 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Constant Phonebook "Importing" on 2012 TL

There was a thread about this elsewhere, but it wasn't clear what the subject was from the title.

Just got my 2012 TL Friday. As other noted, every time I start the car, the first time I go to access the phonebook I get the "importing...." message on the Navi screen and this takes a bit. Thereafter I still get it, but after the initial incident it is quicker. On my 2009 TL, accessing the phonebook was instantaneous and Bluetooth worked perfectly. This is very annoying.

Obviously this issue is related to the auto-import feature. Even with it turned off, however, I'm still having the issue. Others are experiencing the same and have reported it to Client Services, which I intend to do tomorrow.

Is this feature working properly for anyone with an imported phonebook? And if so, what kind of phone are you using?

This is fairly frustrating....do they actually test this stuff before they release it?!
Old 05-19-2011, 09:36 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm having a problem along the same lines. I just got a 2012 Tech. I have had my car for two days now and I haven't been able to import my contacts at all. I tried to let it complete importing last night for 5 mins, this morning for 20 mins and this afternoon for 35 mins. And still nothing, I have an Android Evo.

I do think there is a problem with Androids because my 2009 MDX Tech/Ent, had a problem importing contacts as well. The system couldn't differentiate between the facebook/google contacts or maybe I'm just doing this wrong. I'm going to the dealer tomorrow so I will definitely ask and let you know.

Last edited by emerald_lady; 05-19-2011 at 09:39 PM. Reason: added more
Old 05-19-2011, 09:40 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
same issue with my 2012. i'm not even sure if there's a way to stop that auto-import. i think it's good that the NAVI system has the updated info from the phone but i wished they did that on the background and not all the time. i have an iphone 4 by the way.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:24 AM
5th Gear

I have a similar issue as well....no problem importing, but big problem when I set voice tags of people I call the most. When I set the voice tags of people I call, the system does not recognize the command "Call home" or "Call dad" even from the phone screen. I was told by the dealer AND by handsfreelink that people have complained about this problem and it has been forwarded to the higher ups. Instead of saying the name, I have to state the number that the speed dial of that person is connected to, for example, "Call 1" or "Call 2." Anybody else have that issue? I followed the instructions in the manual word by word, there are even youtube videos showing this feature working in other 2012 TL's, Lemon?
Old 05-23-2011, 10:01 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Actually, Kooter, that doesn't seem to be working in my car, either. I tried it a couple times and thought I was just doing it wrong. Typically I just dial with the control wheel.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:15 PM
Instructor

from my limited experience with the 2012 HFL...you'll have to say "dial by voice-tag" and then say the name of a contact that you've previously built a voice-tag for. i also thought you can just day "dial XXX" but i was wrong. in addition, "home" is to general of a name and can be confused by the HFL. you can, however use "home1" or "home2" when you're in the destination function.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:18 AM
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
This is actually the ONLY area where my 2006 BMW 650i has better electronics - but only the phone book portion.

For a car that cost almost 100% more than my 2012 Advance, the rest of the electronics stink. That being said, it at least kept the phone book from previous uploads, which resolved the issues noted above.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
I posted in the "problem" forum - my bad. My car is also downloading every time. Is there an option on the '12 to turn off the auto download? If so, I have not found it referenced in the manual. It's very annoying.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Instructor

i have not seen any options to turn it off. very annoying indeed.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:31 AM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
and the dial by voice tag is stupid as well. i would think i should just be able to say dial voicetag and start the call; but when i do that it just takes me to another menu and i have to say it again; seems redundant.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:32 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
wow u guys are complaining about this?

for the 09-11 TL, the phone book doesn't even automatically import contacts!! we need to do it manually EVERY TIME there is a new contact. Man it pisses me off that there are things this important that acura didn't think of until their MY2012.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jasonwdp10
wow u guys are complaining about this?

for the 09-11 TL, the phone book doesn't even automatically import contacts!! we need to do it manually EVERY TIME there is a new contact. Man it pisses me off that there are things this important that acura didn't think of until their MY2012.
All I want is the option to have it do it automatically or manually. When I want to place a call I don't want to have to sit there while it downloads even though there are no changes. May seem like a small thing, but it's an amazingly easy thing to fix. I've never had any other car do it every time.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:59 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jjsC5
All I want is the option to have it do it automatically or manually. When I want to place a call I don't want to have to sit there while it downloads even though there are no changes. May seem like a small thing, but it's an amazingly easy thing to fix. I've never had any other car do it every time.
That's what I tell acura everytime I go in for service. Except I say I want the bluetooth song display and auto phone book importing. Unfortunately, every time, the answer is the same stern SOL.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:15 PM
Cruisin'

I have had my 2012 TL Advance for about 2 weeks and I actually find it convenient that it imports each time I access the phone book because I’m constantly adding new numbers to my phone. The time it takes to do the import is not an issue to me because I’m never in that big of a hurry to call anyone...
Old 06-05-2011, 08:34 PM
Cruisin'

I just bought a 2012 Advance. Does the same thing for me. It only takes about 10 seconds for me. I only have about 200 contacts or so. My problem is, that it will put 2,3,4 entries for the same person. I use and iPhone 4. It's not because I have a home, cell, mobile, etc... for each person. Where I have a contact listed once on my iphone, when importing, it lists that same contact twice, or more. It does this for every single contact on my iPhone.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:18 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ckay
I just bought a 2012 Advance. Does the same thing for me. It only takes about 10 seconds for me. I only have about 200 contacts or so. My problem is, that it will put 2,3,4 entries for the same person. I use and iPhone 4. It's not because I have a home, cell, mobile, etc... for each person. Where I have a contact listed once on my iphone, when importing, it lists that same contact twice, or more. It does this for every single contact on my iPhone.

I have had my 2012 Advance for two days and mine has imported a duplicate of each contact. Also, using an iPhone 4
Old 06-11-2011, 09:11 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I've had my 2012 Tech since the 1st day of release (March-something) and I was back at the dealership the very next day to report the issue & maybe find out if I was doing something wrong.

"Call Dad", "call home" etc. does not work on the 2012. It worked fine on our 2008.

This is very annoying.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:08 AM
10th Gear

I called this in to the HandsFreeLink folks and went to through a number of troubleshooting steps (which I had already gone through on my own). The bottom line is that this is a bug and needs to be fixed. They said they would contact me when a bulletin has been released regarding this issue.

Maybe if more people complain they will escalate this to engineering get a fix that the end user can fix (via USB stick, CD-ROM, etc).
Old 06-29-2011, 03:00 AM
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
I'm getting the same issue with my iPhone. It constantly updates the phone book. Ghats not the real issue though. What's really annoying is the voice tag. I can't, like any other 2012 owner, just say call home. Gotta go through dial by name, then say the voice tag.

Another issue is the data-phone setup. I can't get any of the AT&T options to work. I have a 3GS, and it always says can't connect.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Okay, last night I set up my wifes phone on the car (I had set mine up a few weeks ago). The more I use it, the more this problem annoys me having to wait for it to update every time you use the phone book. Acura really needs to fix this. I don't enjoy driving a quarter of a mile down the road waiting for it to update. Don't forget - it doesn't do it when you start the car, it does it when you go to use the phone.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:58 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Called Customer Care at 1-800-382-2238 and filed my complaint. It really is just annoying more than anything else. I am really disappointed that I can't push the talk button and say, "phone, call, so-and-so" and have it recognize from my phone book. There should not be any additional steps needed to make a phone call. I guess for now the speed dial will work but it just seems less advanced.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

I also called and voiced my complaint. One thing she told me was she was surprised when I told her that the import did not happen when I start the car and the phone pairs. I told her the import does not take place until I actually try to use the phone book. She suspects it's because my phone is known to not work very well (a Blackberry Tour). In fairness, I have had problems with the same phone in my Lexus.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:42 PM
1st Gear

My "importing" never stops

2012 TL Adv with a MT 4G android, 500+ contacts. "Importing...." never stops. Let go over 30 min last time and still never finished or imported anything I could use, so I haven't even had the (dis)pleasure of the redundant voice tag issue.

Hope someone finds a fix....
Old 07-11-2011, 05:05 PM
8th Gear

Just bought my 2012 TL advance. I confirm the voice-tag function does not work. Called dealer and they said "bring it by" they had not heard of any problems with it. Anyone get it to work by saying "call voice tag...?"
Old 07-11-2011, 06:04 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by MacFan77
Just bought my 2012 TL advance. I confirm the voice-tag function does not work. Called dealer and they said "bring it by" they had not heard of any problems with it. Anyone get it to work by saying "call voice tag...?"
It has not worked for me.
The following users liked this post:
MacFan77 (07-13-2011)
Old 07-12-2011, 01:53 PM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah, this function is really sub-par for Acura. In my case it's even worse: I've got a basic Samsung clamshell phone, and the phonebook has multiple phone #'s for each contact--cell, home, business, etc. When this phonebook is imported in my '12 TL, only the first phone number is imported for each contact. The others are missed completely. This is obviously very frustrating. Has anyone figured out how to get all phone #'s for a contact to be imported?
Old 07-13-2011, 04:07 PM
8th Gear

I spoke to the dealer service department about the voice tag not working issue. He said it's a known issue and has been reported to Acura and a software fix will hopefully be out soon. If you are experiencing problems with your TL voice tag's feature, please make sure your dealer knows about this or call Acura directly. THe more people who report it, the faster it will be addressed and fixed.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:56 AM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Blaze9

Another issue is the data-phone setup. I can't get any of the AT&T options to work. I have a 3GS, and it always says can't connect.
this is actually an issue with dial up networking protocols, the car is trying to use a very old protocol that modern phones don't use. But you're not missing much by not having it just some Acura updates about service and things. I thought it's used for weather and traffic but that's XM only.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:36 PM
8th Gear

So I spoke to Acura customer service and the guy I talked to said there is NO problem. So, I took my iPhone in the car while I was talking to him on my home phone, he walked me through step by step and guess what. IT DOESN'T WORK. He said "weird" there "no known problem" with the bluetooth voice tag feature.

Guess what, it doesn't work.

He said he'll call my dealer and see if they can somehow get a fix.

I'm not holding my breath.
The following users liked this post:
gkorsgard (07-15-2011)
Old 07-30-2011, 02:26 PM
10th Gear

Hmmm - if i am reading all these posts correctly - it seems as if the newer acura models are attempting to be like BMW (that is the only area where the tecnology in bmw exceed acura - but it is a big one imho) - wherein itis supposed to automatically update your phone book each time you turn on the car or use phone... this should be seemless and rapid if it is to do it at all.
i have an 09 acura tsx and the phone book entries are static - if you have any changes you need to re-import your entire phone book, so i usally do that about every six months or so...
i did it yesterday and it would not complete - gave me an error message - i must have about a thousand entries in my phone but it never had a problem before and it says it can take up to 10000 entries.
it's weird - i tried to call search my husband, and anyone else in the family with his last name - and all of those entries will not load -(Same as my last name) - this seems odd and very annoying.
also, the voice recognition on my tsx is pitiful - i have some numbers stored in the voice phonebook (this is not part of the handsfreelink phonebook) and more than half the time it does not recognize the voice i ask for - even if i scream, turn off the ac, etc etc.
my workaround has been to call from the actual phone and then use the transfer feature - but this involves actually handling your phone.
frustrating to the max.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:27 AM
4th Gear

I have the same problems. Anyone heard anything from either Acura or their dealer?
Old 09-16-2011, 03:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
It's amazing that I got this far into the model year without running into this 'feature.' Nobody in our dealership was aware that the 2012 TL Tech phonebook/contact list is now imported automatically (and synced) with no way to turn off the feature. This is different from the way the '09-'11 systems worked and is a concern to clients who do not want to import the phonebook but still want (and expect) to use Bluetooth.

Essentially, the system is keeping a hidden file on the hard drive and when a paired phone is in the car, it compares the two phonebook's indexes and displays the most current data. It also won't display the phonebook data if the paired phone is not in the car. I suppose this is an additional layer of security.

IMO, if they were more clear that the original "Import" was different than the subsequent "sync" on the display, maybe customers would better understand that this is intended operation vs. an error which causes it to "import every time"
Old 09-16-2011, 10:24 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
No fix for this yet?
Old 09-19-2011, 02:49 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
funny to read all the iphone users complaining about the transfer issue. when I had the misfortune of using the iphone in my infiniti 2010 ex35 the phone book would transfer immediately and then after 3 or so days turn into gibberish until I deleted and repaired the iphone. turns out that it was an apple issue with 'THEIR' implementation of bluetooth protocol. switching to an evo 4 and then an evo 3d fixed the problem. since I am strongly considering becoming an acura driver again at the end of my current lease this information youve posted is very disturbing. being 3.48am maybe someone can confirm that this system works with something other than an iphone or crackberry. if the issue is univeral its indeed a joke for acura to not have a remedy by now.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:15 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by OneOfOne
funny to read all the iphone users complaining about the transfer issue. when I had the misfortune of using the iphone in my infiniti 2010 ex35 the phone book would transfer immediately and then after 3 or so days turn into gibberish until I deleted and repaired the iphone. turns out that it was an apple issue with 'THEIR' implementation of bluetooth protocol. switching to an evo 4 and then an evo 3d fixed the problem. since I am strongly considering becoming an acura driver again at the end of my current lease this information youve posted is very disturbing. being 3.48am maybe someone can confirm that this system works with something other than an iphone or crackberry. if the issue is univeral its indeed a joke for acura to not have a remedy by now.
The issue of importing contacts/call history every time you access your phone is not limited to the iPhone. My Droid X and Droid Incredible both do the same thing. I expected some sort of update by now but this might be one of those things that never gets resolved.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:59 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My first post.....
Bought the 2012 TL w/tech package. My problem is that for some reason my sister Katie entry in the phone book of my droid x comes up as Cathy in the cars PB. Can't find a way to edit her name. Any ideas?
Old 10-30-2011, 09:39 PM
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
2012 TL Tech and Droid Incredible.

I am not having any luck with the HFL importing phonebooks from either my phone or my wife's (both are HTC Droid Incredible). With her phone it worked once but not again.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:36 PM
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
Update--called the HFL number at Acura and the guy told me to remove the batteries from the phones, wait a bit, then reinstall them. He said to make sure to look at the notification tab on the phone for the message to allow phonebook access once I try connecting to the HFL.

Well that worked like a charm for my wife's phone--call history and phonebook import just fine. BUT with my phone both call history and phonebook import forever but nothing ever happens. As far as I can see we have identical phones with identical firmware. I am not sure why her phone is no problem and my phone just hangs.

I can pair my phone fine and connect to the HFL but importing does not want to work. This is odd since I was able to get the call history from my phone to read once a couple of days ago.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:15 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Great news! There is now a software fix for this issue:
http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/SB/B11-016.pdf

You'll need to open this page first:
http://estore.honda.com/acura/access...L&modelName=TL
(open one of the documents from the link above before opening the TSB).
The following 4 users liked this post by macguitar:
awillc (01-04-2012), MikeElmendorf (01-08-2012), sarge_in (12-01-2011), TinyRK (12-01-2011)
Old 12-01-2011, 08:37 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by macguitar
Great news! There is now a software fix for this issue:
http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/SB/B11-016.pdf

You'll need to open this page first:
http://estore.honda.com/acura/access...L&modelName=TL
(open one of the documents from the link above before opening the TSB).
My computer must hate me because even following those instructions I get a linkdeny screen when trying to open the first link.

Quick Reply: Constant Phonebook "Importing" on 2012 TL