Aftermarket headunit

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 03:51 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Aftermarket headunit

So my wife is looking at the 2012 TL and I don't want to purchase the Navigation package. So is there a possibility to replace the factory stereo? I've looked through ten pages on here so far, a pain while searching on my phone. So far I see nothing about swapping headunits just adding a cleansweep unit.

Has anybody changed out the headunit?
Old 04-24-2011, 04:05 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
not easily, unless a company comes out with a "fitting" kit, or you have to go custom on that bit

but another issue i see though, is what about the "set" temp readout for the HVAC controls.... it's on the same display, so you would also have to figure out how to display those too....

so the easiest way might be to just buy her a portable navigation unit and mount it on the windshield (or maybe even up in the pocket where the navi screen sits, if nothing is there on the non-navi cars)

Last edited by friesm2000; 04-24-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:53 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
The best best here is to just upgrade behind the stock head unit, add amp, better speakers, etc. Cars HU's are so integrated into the operation of the car now days, you are really risking screwing a lot of stuff up tearing one out.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:40 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
If you add an MS-8 and aftermarket amps, like a couple of us here have ... you'd be very pleasantly surprised with the results. You won't get DVD-A putput of course, but if you don't have a supply of those discs you won't get it anyway.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:44 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Six Shifter
If you add an MS-8 and aftermarket amps, like a couple of us here have ... you'd be very pleasantly surprised with the results. You won't get DVD-A putput of course, but if you don't have a supply of those discs you won't get it anyway.
Hey Six you mind sharing what amps and speakers you used?
Old 04-25-2011, 10:56 PM
Safety Car

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by wakattack
The best best here is to just upgrade behind the stock head unit, add amp, better speakers, etc. Cars HU's are so integrated into the operation of the car now days, you are really risking screwing a lot of stuff up tearing one out.
Some of the Audi's won't communicate through OBD2 port if you replace factory head unit and install other stereo.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:59 PM
The One

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
It's gonna take a little time for the aftermarket to catch up but they will sometime. Until then, you might have to sit tight.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:08 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the information guys!

At the moment my wife is deciding what she wants, the 2012 TL or the 2011 G37. Totally her choice as it's her car.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:06 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by islandlife
Hey Six you mind sharing what amps and speakers you used?
I haven't posted a thread about this yet ... spending too much time enjoying the improvement over the factory set-up. Factory HU feeding JBL MS-8, sending outputs into a pair of JL amps - a 900/5 and a 600/4. 900/5 handles the front tweeters from my Focal 165 KRX 2's, the center channel using the mid from the 165 KRX3, and the JBL 10W7 is my sub. The 600/4 is feeding the 165 KRX 2 mids up front and the 165 KR's on the rear shelf using the Focal crossover for the tweeters. My set-up is a bit different from Brews in as much as I've decided to not power the rear doors.

I'd never tried Focal speakers before - I used MB Quartz seperates in my M3 and I ran JL seperates in my CL - but these speakers are extremely clean ... so much so that I have yet to play with any EQ settings made available to me via the MS-8. Here's a pic from the web-site of the place who did the install:

The positioning of the MS-8 in front of the pass-thru allows me immediate access to the rear panel where the input for the binaural microphone headset is which is used in the calibration/setup process as I continue to play with this to get the desired imaging/positioning I'm looking for.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:56 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
^^^ Pretty impressive install.

2011 National AcuraZine Meet-Kansas City-June 12, 2011-Details Here!

Old 04-27-2011, 03:01 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Six Shifter
I haven't posted a thread about this yet ... spending too much time enjoying the improvement over the factory set-up. Factory HU feeding JBL MS-8, sending outputs into a pair of JL amps - a 900/5 and a 600/4. 900/5 handles the front tweeters from my Focal 165 KRX 2's, the center channel using the mid from the 165 KRX3, and the JBL 10W7 is my sub. The 600/4 is feeding the 165 KRX 2 mids up front and the 165 KR's on the rear shelf using the Focal crossover for the tweeters. My set-up is a bit different from Brews in as much as I've decided to not power the rear doors.

I'd never tried Focal speakers before - I used MB Quartz seperates in my M3 and I ran JL seperates in my CL - but these speakers are extremely clean ... so much so that I have yet to play with any EQ settings made available to me via the MS-8. Here's a pic from the web-site of the place who did the install:

The positioning of the MS-8 in front of the pass-thru allows me immediate access to the rear panel where the input for the binaural microphone headset is which is used in the calibration/setup process as I continue to play with this to get the desired imaging/positioning I'm looking for.
Thanks for info looks very clean i bet it sounds amazing
Old 04-27-2011, 06:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I also recommend keeping the original head unit. I changed the head unit out on my old 3G and though it sounded great, really hurt when it came to trade in/resale value. IMO, get the system you want up front, at least the tech such as nav. It costs more but you won't need to upgrade or use an aftermarket unit.

I am tempted to get my speakers swapped out like Brew360 and Six Shifter did but I REALLY like the DVD -A 5.1 sound. If I was to do it, I'd change all speakers, make the rear door speakers 2-way and larger. I need to go visit the custom stereo store here and see what they have in mind.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:48 AM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I know this will not answer your question, but I feel that it would be a negative to install an aftermarket head unit in a brand new luxury car.

I used to fabricate/install car audio systems, and many of the cars were old, used, or non-luxury models. I'm not saying there weren't luxury cars (mostly speaker replacement or sub addition like the one above), but they were more complicated and imo, unnecessary. I'm also pretty sure it will kill the resale, especially now that systems are more and more integrated.

Also, I would not have gotten then TL without the tech package. Other wise it's like you're driving a honda accord with hids.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:33 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
you can cheap out on a honda civic, even a accord, but man dont cheap out on a luxury car.. but i guess in a wife's perspective, you dont really need it.. but keep in mind.. your buying this car.

its like buying a ps3 without any controls, then buying wired controls for a discounted cheap price when you can purchase a ps3 bundle with 2 wireless controls.. it just makes your life easier.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:49 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
What you get with Tech package:
spoiler
push button start
keyless touch entry
Impressive Navi
In car phone book to link with phone.
back-up camera
side mirrors that tilt with reverse gear.
impressive ELS sound system

paying 35k+ for a car without these features is god darn stupid if you ask me.. pay for it its bang
Old 06-14-2011, 12:14 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OUCH!

I did not get the tech package in my 2010. I went back and forth about it.

I did get the SH AWD as I really liked driving it much better than the standard.
But I was not excited about the following:
1. push button start
2. keyless entry.
3. I have a Nuvi 3790 with lifetime maps and like it alot so had no desire to learn a new system. (With a neat install.)
4. I do not have any DVD music disc's
5. I do not like the spoiler.
6. There is a slightly different leather used on the interior but that was a push for me.
6. the hands free blue tooth phone came with the standard package. (Not sure if it has a phone book as I do not use it.

So I feel like the only thing I gave up are:
1. The ELS system which I liked.
2. The back up camera.
Both of which I can get aftermarket with the JBL M8 and aftermarket camera set up.

If they would have had these included in the color package I wanted I would have gone ahead and got it but the only 2010 I could find with black/ Umber at time of purchase was the one I bought.

I have thought about upgrading the speakers but otherwise I am pretty happy with the car as it is.