Why Do Salespeople Have To Be Such Insufferable Idiots? And The TL's Ride

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 04:33 PM
I feel strongly both ways

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Why Do Salespeople Have To Be Such Insufferable Idiots? And The TL's Ride

I test frove the TL SH-AWD today and I was very impressed with the power of the engine. I have to admit I was a bit put off by the ride. It rode quite firmly -- far more so than my current ES350. It was never jaring, but you could feel every road imperfection.

Comparing this to the G37 does anyone know which rides harder?

Now, on to my rant about salespeople. I HATE it when they treat me like I have no idea what I'm buying or like I don't know the facts that are out there. So I was asking what their bottom line price would be on the S-AWD with tech. And the first cretin tells me it's pretty close to MSRP "...because the car is such a hot seller and is in such short supply as a result." "Hottest thing on the market now" he says. I really wanted to tell him right then and there that he was full of shit and that the car isn't selling worth a damn and I knew he knew that...but I didn't. I did tell him I already had an offer of $40,500 + payment of my last month's lease ($664). I simply told him that if he couldn't beat that we had nothing to talk about. He looked perplexed and I simply walked out.

The next genius was sounding good at first, dealing with me like a real human being. As he started to try and nail down my business, however, things fell apart. Again, I got the "hottest selling car on the market" crap. He offered to buy out my last three lease payments but then offered me the car pretty much at sticker. He quoted me MSRP almost $1000 over the real MSRP. When I told him I knew the MSRP and that that wasn't it, he slyly said he must have made the mistake of writing down the price of the SH-AWD with the 19" rims with summer tires. Then I told him I could do better at another dealership, quoting him what I had been told (e.g. $40,500 with last month lease paid) and he did the old "I have to speak to my manager" silliness. he left me for over 5 minutes coming back saying he'd meet or beat anyone elses prices, "when I was ready to buy."

Why must these people be such slimy creeps? Why can't they simply tell you what their bottom line price is and leave it at that? Why do they have to blatently lie about how sales are going, how many are being made, how only they can be expected to get you the color you want, etc, etc, ad nauseum???

I HATE THIS PART OF BUYING A CAR!!!!!!
Old 02-16-2009, 04:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Where are you located and what color combo are you looking for?
Old 02-16-2009, 04:41 PM
I feel strongly both ways

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm in NYC and I'm looking for the bronze with umber leather.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:44 PM
TL 2012 SH-AWD TECH/UMBER

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree with you , being a salesman (not for car), you have to understand that the first that give the better price, won't make the sale. There is always someone that is going to be $50.00 cheaper. So you have to use some strategy to be sure to close the sale. It didn't work with you but it's working with 80% of people, so why they won't try those kind of speech ?
Old 02-16-2009, 04:48 PM
Suzuka Master

There is only one Mayan Bronze/Umber AWD Tech in the entire state of New York and and none on order and none in transit. Check at Ray Laks Acura (716)632-1111.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Doc, what's wrong with you? :-) You already posted the ride issue? I'm sorry your having issues, as buying a car is pretty exciting for me. Your right about the salespeople though, some of them are as about as sharp as a bowling ball. I found a good one in here in LA with no BS and pretty helpful. I hope your luck changes.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bmode
Doc, what's wrong with you?
I had the same question
Old 02-16-2009, 06:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by (Cj)
I had the same question
I think he wants to discuss why sales consultants are slime here, and ride quality there... I could be wrong, after all, I am an insufferable idiot.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by PsychDoc

Comparing this to the G37 does anyone know which rides harder?
I some what answered you this in another thread, but if I were ranking ride quality I woudl do it liek this

Softer to harder...

G37 Sedan
4G TL FWD
3G 07/08 FWD
3G 04-05

The previous 4 grouped very close togther and then the next 3 also somewhat close together.

G37 Sedan Sport
3G Type-S
4G TL AWD

BUT the 4G AWD soaks up the roughness better, the G37 Sport is more jolty on rougher roads and submits more into the cabin.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Now, on to my rant about salespeople. I HATE it when they treat me like I have no idea what I'm buying or like I don't know the facts that are out there. So I was asking what their bottom line price would be on the S-AWD with tech. And the first cretin tells me it's pretty close to MSRP "...because the car is such a hot seller and is in such short supply as a result." "Hottest thing on the market now" he says. I really wanted to tell him right then and there that he was full of shit and that the car isn't selling worth a damn and I knew he knew that...but I didn't. I did tell him I already had an offer of $40,500 + payment of my last month's lease ($664). I simply told him that if he couldn't beat that we had nothing to talk about. He looked perplexed and I simply walked out
The reality is depending on where in the US you are the AWD is a rae car and will command a higher than normal price. I would have killed to get $40,500 for my SH-AWD, down here they are more like $41,000 - $41-500 in all of GA they are less than a dozen SH cars. And I have not paid over invoice for a TL since except my 04. I got mine 250 miles away in TN. And with Acura cutting production there will not likely be any huge inventory of them for all of the 09 model year.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Colin, the fact that you participate and contribute here in the forums, redeems your stupidity. Your a genius now, I appreciate your input.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:07 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Now, on to my rant about salespeople. I HATE it when they treat me like I have no idea what I'm buying or like I don't know the facts that are out there.
This is the most annoying thing about some salesmen. Obviously, many people in and out of car sales have a tendency to do this. However, I think that a salesman that underestimates the knowledge of their customer is ultimately unsuccessful in their profession. A good salesman is informed about what they are selling and treat their customers with respect.

Why must these people be such slimy creeps? Why do they have to blatently lie
I'm not a car salesman and I have no real interest in defending the profession, but I do feel that this statement is a wholly unfair stereotype. I don't believe that there are more "slimy creeps" or "liars" in car sales than in the population as a whole. Maybe I'm being naive, but if I get a car salesman that displays any of the traits mentioned, I move on to the next dealership or ask for another salesman.

Last edited by DLeeWebb; 02-16-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Anything involving sales you get the stereo type of creeps or slime. The fact is people are trying to make money. Bottom line. However, I feel there is a certain way to sell without getting the negative connotation, in fact if they buy with me, they get more than the product, they get my service which is job one for customer satisfaction and guaranteed client returned business. Choose your sales persons carefully, and keep your hands clear of slime.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
We are not having another salesman bashing thread. OP- start a thread in Car Talk if you want. Thread closed.