Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Whining in the rear question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 11:27 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Angry Whining in the rear question?

See my vehicle specs below? When I accelerate and hold my speed passengers in the back of the car complain of a “whining” sound. It’s loud and I feel bad that my 2 year old has to hear it. I hear the whining sound from 10-100 mph. My cousin owns an auto shop and we went to dinner with me the other day and he noticed it but said it is not my wheel bearings because I would feel a shutter in my steering. He didn’t know what it was but also didn’t have time to look at it. Should I replace diff fluid or something? Thanks for the help in advance.

Does anyone one else have this issue?
  • FWD Advance Package
  • 53,000 miles
  • Change oil myself with Mobil 1 extended performance + Mobil 1 oil filter every 5,000 miles like clock work
  • Change tranny fluid (Acura DW1) myself every 15,000 miles
  • Changed the coolant with Honda blue smirf snot at 50,000
  • Changed the Michelin’s at 45,000 with Toyo tires
  • Original brakes
Old 10-23-2018, 05:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
is the noise RPM or speed related with it changing in sound? Check your rear brake pads, they might be worn and the change alert tab might be hitting the rotors.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:11 AM
Instructor

Thanks, will check that today.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 304 Likes on 212 Posts
It could be the rear wheel bearings. In other cars I've heard noises that range from snow-tire like sound to a high-pitched buzzing when a bearing is on its way out. FWD vehicles show that sort of sign when one of the rear bearings is on its way out....
The following users liked this post:
Georgiey22 (10-26-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 08:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
- You don't have a diff in the rear of a FWD car ... no fluid to change.
- A mechanic said you would feel a shutter in the steering if the rear bearing was failing. Hmmm.
- The most likely cause of a whining noise prominent in the rear is a bearing or a tire.
Rotate the tires and if the noise stays in the rear the bearing is suspect.
- Rear bearings are relatively easy to replace. They are a bolt on component and available at some non-dealer car part stores.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:09 PM
Instructor

Checked my brakes this weekend and they are good. Wish this was the issue.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:10 PM
Instructor

Thank you Reorge. I will rotate my tires on Tuesday if not, will get bearings. Do you have a link for how to complete the job?
Old 11-02-2018, 09:28 PM
Instructor

Today I had my scheduled visit to the dealership and all turned out ok. For the record, bought my car in March of 2013 and the car has 54,000 as of this morning. This means my car is still under the factory powertrain warranty.

I called the dealer parts department on Monday asking if they had 2 wheel bearing hub assemblies in stock. The reason, I pulled the wheels off in the rear, along with calipers to spin the hub freely to learn if they were bad, which they were (rear driver and passenger sides both had a bad grinding noise). They only had 1 in stock, I then proceeded to schedule a service to have this looked at.

On my drive into the dealer today I used an SPL meter app to understand how loud it was in the cabin while driving on the highway 65-80 mph. I was shocked it was 115db which is terrible for hearing loss. When I told this info to the advisor and showed him videos of my bad bearings, he knew they needed to fix the issue. Remember...they only had 1 hub in stock.

After 4 hours in the waiting room, the advisor comes out and says, we are all done, let’s go for a drive. I have him drive and I jump in the backseat to test the noise level with the SPL app and after the repair it was now 85db at the same speeds. Still a bit loud but dramatically quieter then before, still too loud however. I then asked, did you replace both, he said nope, only the passenger rear. I asked why. He said the other wasn’t bad and he immediately knew I was going to go back to the facts/video. He didn’t have a response and then I said to him...is this because you only had one unit in stock and he looked stunned that I knew this. He said, yes. I said then why didn’t you just say that instead of giving me the runaround? Long and short, they fixed one and I’m happier then before but need to schedule an appointment another day to fix the driver rear.

I also had them complete the tranny software update and WOW gears 1-3 are SO SMOOTH. It was a good day, found my problems and I wanted to say thanks to this crew! Looking forward to another 54,000 trouble free miles in our TL. For fun, I washed, waxed, and conditioned the leather in my car this afternoon.

Thanks,
George