What BMW guys think of 4G TL

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 10:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by markcincinnati
. . .I have decided, despite the fact that by my participation in this thread, I am giving it at least some "legitimacy," that I really don't care what another brand's owners think of my selection for a car.

In fact, I am concerned that even the raising this topic suggests that Acura and Acura owners may be relegating themselves to "first runner-up" status. By that I mean, "well, Acura was my second choice. . ." behind BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Volvo or Yugo or WHATEVER.

If you can make the lease payments on an Acura TL, there is no doubt you CAN elect to lease either a Bimmer 3 or 5 series of some configuration. The Acura owner who actually cares what a BMW owner thinks of his/her Acura is -- I think -- attempting to rationalize why they didn't go for the BMW (or other brand). Perhaps the fact that a TL Advance when compared with either a comparably equipped 3 or 5 series will find the Acura somewhere more than $5,000 less (at MSRP) needs -- in someone's mind -- to be "justified."

Again, this seems, to me, to be a "well, I COULD HAVE had a BMW, but they aren't worth what they charge for them" kind of rationalization.

Who cares?

If you care so much what a BMW owner thinks (and you're trying to convince them that you made the "better or smarter" choice in the Acura) just go ahead a get the damn Bimmer -- if you can pass the credit check for the Acura you can pass the credit check for the BMW; and the way BMW sub-vents its leases, there's a least some chance that the BMW will be less money (per month) than the Acura anyway.

My current dilemma, speaking of monthly payment, is that both an Infiniti M37X and an all optioned Audi A4 Prestige cost less per month than the Acura TL despite the fact that it has the lowest MSRP.

Whatever I end up with, I promise I won't be wondering what my BMW driving neighbor thinks of my new Acura, Audi or Infiniti. The moment I care about that (the BMW owner's thoughts on my choice), is the moment I will be regretting each and every monthly check I write to fill-in-the-blank Financial Services.

Currently, I am trying to determine why the Acura's cost more per month than their pricier rivals.
+1 Very good words & a great reason this thread should die.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:51 AM
I feel strongly both ways

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
[quote=markcincinnati;13081359
Currently, I am trying to determine why the Acura's cost more per month than their pricier rivals.[/quote]

I have never understood this. The Acura historically maintains its value better than anything else on the road so the residual figure should reflect this on a lease and should reduce the monthly payments. The only other factor is going to be the money factor. BMW now leases for an annual money factor rate of 2.1%. That's just incredible and it makes their leases ridiculously affordable. You can lease a 328xi nicely equipped for $379/month. IIRC the TL leases for about $525/month. That's just ridiculous as that can put you behind the wheel of a 528i. German cars (read: BMW/MB) are traditionally great leases while I've seen that Japanese products are huge lease rip-offs. So I guess the take-away is that if you want to lease, go BMW/MB (Audi's leases are pretty horrible). If you're looking to buy you can't do a lot better than the Acura. Having said that, I'm buying my 535xi (lol). I'll let you know how smart I feel about four years from now.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
markcincinnati and BEAR. Neither of you has been around here much recently. Based on my experience on this forum the better question to ask would be why BMW and Audi owners come here to preach to us about the supposed superiority of their cars (PsychDoc excepted)?

And if I were to start a thread titled "What Acura guys (or Audi or MB) think of BMW"; do you think that might spark some interest in BMW owners?
Old 07-11-2011, 11:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PsychDoc
I have never understood this. The Acura historically maintains its value better than anything else on the road so the residual figure should reflect this on a lease and should reduce the monthly payments. The only other factor is going to be the money factor. BMW now leases for an annual money factor rate of 2.1%. That's just incredible and it makes their leases ridiculously affordable. You can lease a 328xi nicely equipped for $379/month. IIRC the TL leases for about $525/month. That's just ridiculous as that can put you behind the wheel of a 528i. German cars (read: BMW/MB) are traditionally great leases while I've seen that Japanese products are huge lease rip-offs. So I guess the take-away is that if you want to lease, go BMW/MB (Audi's leases are pretty horrible). If you're looking to buy you can't do a lot better than the Acura. Having said that, I'm buying my 535xi (lol). I'll let you know how smart I feel about four years from now.
Could it be that the really smart people are BMW know that when a lease is over a huge percentage of people will lease again probably from the dealership that they turn the car in at? Mileage at the 3 year mark will probably be at about 36K which means they can sell the car with very little warranty time left and almost at the 50K obsolescence mark BMW is known for. That means they can then make a ton of money on parts and service.

While the really smart people at Honda build cars to last 150k plus (that's their whole cachet in the marketing place) so there are no financial advantages to leases?

Just thinking aloud. These people have thought of every monetization angle. They don't often make mistakes.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by Glashub
markcincinnati and BEAR. Neither of you has been around here much recently. Based on my experience on this forum the better question to ask would be why BMW and Audi owners come here to preach to us about the supposed superiority of their cars (PsychDoc excepted)?

And if I were to start a thread titled "What Acura guys (or Audi or MB) think of BMW"; do you think that might spark some interest in BMW owners?

I don't really think the thread would get the level of attention that this one has. As far as Audi,MB vs BMW I imagine it would be a classic Ford vs Chevy look alike

I must have missed the part where I was preaching about the superiority of the BMW. I clearly said I did not trade/sell the 330ci because it was a convertible & the 4 door because it was newer with less mileage then the 3G TL which I feel is a very nice car. For me a major reason for not getting a 4G is I do not care for its looks, just a personal choice on my part.

If you look at my post on the 3G forum you will see I have not posted there in recent months either because most of the threads like "what oil" have been recycled many times. That being said it was a logical choice to come back to AcuraZine to see about selling my 3G 6MT.

Took a look in this forum & it was the same old same old Acura vs BMW, Audi, MB & G-37 so I thought I would make a comment, never expected it to garner this much attention.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 07-11-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:01 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by markcincinnati
. . .I have decided, despite the fact that by my participation in this thread, I am giving it at least some "legitimacy," that I really don't care what another brand's owners think of my selection for a car.

In fact, I am concerned that even the raising this topic suggests that Acura and Acura owners may be relegating themselves to "first runner-up" status. By that I mean, "well, Acura was my second choice. . ." behind BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Volvo or Yugo or WHATEVER.

If you can make the lease payments on an Acura TL, there is no doubt you CAN elect to lease either a Bimmer 3 or 5 series of some configuration. The Acura owner who actually cares what a BMW owner thinks of his/her Acura is -- I think -- attempting to rationalize why they didn't go for the BMW (or other brand). Perhaps the fact that a TL Advance when compared with either a comparably equipped 3 or 5 series will find the Acura somewhere more than $5,000 less (at MSRP) needs -- in someone's mind -- to be "justified."

Again, this seems, to me, to be a "well, I COULD HAVE had a BMW, but they aren't worth what they charge for them" kind of rationalization.

Who cares?

If you care so much what a BMW owner thinks (and you're trying to convince them that you made the "better or smarter" choice in the Acura) just go ahead a get the damn Bimmer -- if you can pass the credit check for the Acura you can pass the credit check for the BMW; and the way BMW sub-vents its leases, there's a least some chance that the BMW will be less money (per month) than the Acura anyway.

My current dilemma, speaking of monthly payment, is that both an Infiniti M37X and an all optioned Audi A4 Prestige cost less per month than the Acura TL despite the fact that it has the lowest MSRP.

Whatever I end up with, I promise I won't be wondering what my BMW driving neighbor thinks of my new Acura, Audi or Infiniti. The moment I care about that (the BMW owner's thoughts on my choice), is the moment I will be regretting each and every monthly check I write to fill-in-the-blank Financial Services.

Currently, I am trying to determine why the Acura's cost more per month than their pricier rivals.
Win thread! Thank you for your very rational input!
Old 07-11-2011, 12:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
I don't really think the thread would get the level of attention that this one has. As far as Audi,MB vs BMW I imagine it would be a classic Ford vs Chevy look alike

I must have missed the part where I was preaching about the superiority of the BMW. I clearly said I did not trade/sell the 330ci because it was a convertible & the 4 door because it was newer with less mileage then the 3G TL which I feel is a very nice car. For me a major reason for not getting a 4G is I do not care for its looks, just a personal choice on my part.

If you look at my post on the 3G forum you will see I have not posted there in recent months either because most of the threads like "what oil" have been recycled many times. That being said it was a logical choice to come back to AcuraZine to see about selling my 3G 6MT.

Took a look in this forum & it was the same old same old Acura vs BMW, Audi, MB & G-37 so I thought I would make a comment, never expected it to garner this much attention.
My dear man; I wasn't pointing fingers at you but at the ghosts of posters past.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:43 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
My dear man; I wasn't pointing fingers at you but at the ghosts of posters past.
I'm not sure if I'm considered a ghost, but I also never stated the BMW was a better car then Acura . I may not be a fan of the 4G body style, but that would be it.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Hamma Tyme you are not one of the ghosts of posters past I was thinking of. I think you really do like the idea of Acuras. Although we can all agree that they have dropped the ball every now and then; they do make bullet proof cars. I think of them as the Apple of cars...not the best...not the most advanced but durable and easy to use. Extremely focused on what they are known for.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:08 PM
Instructor

Hamma Tyme you are not one of the ghosts of posters past I was thinking of. I think you really do like the idea of Acuras. Although we can all agree that they have dropped the ball every now and then; they do make bullet proof cars. I think of them as the Apple of cars...not the best...not the most advanced but durable and easy to use. Extremely focused on what they are known for.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The navigation in TL is win win compared to BMW navigation, but the screen resolution in BMW is best compared to TL screen resolution.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by acura_TL2010
The navigation in TL is win win compared to BMW navigation, but the screen resolution in BMW is best compared to TL screen resolution.
From what I understand, the '12 TL's screen resolution is better than the 09-11....
Old 07-17-2011, 07:44 AM
Instructor

I will confirm the BMW Navigation screen and functionality are the best currently out there, but Acura's Nav has been the best overall for years. The challenge with BMW's Nav is the mapping company. In plain English, it SUCKS! To overcome these issues I go to Google Maps and email my route each day being I'm on the road 4 days a week and rely heavily on Nav. I experianced zero incorrect routes and destinations.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:01 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
r u serious, can some one confirm that the navigation screen resolution in 12 TL is better than 09-11 TL
Old 07-17-2011, 04:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by acura_TL2010
r u serious, can some one confirm that the navigation screen resolution in 12 TL is better than 09-11 TL
I could have sworn I read that someplace.. trying to find the link/info
Old 07-17-2011, 06:22 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I could have sworn I read that someplace.. trying to find the link/info
http://vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=965612

they may have switched from a LCD screen to a LED screen? should be much more vibrant, but i'm not sure how much brighter and vibrant the TL's menu/maps can get. They're not really detailed to begin with.

This should really help uploaded images though
Old 07-23-2011, 02:40 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Today at the car wash I had a guy come up to me and ask what kind of wax that I used on my 2012 TL. I told him that the car was new. He then stated that the car looked better than any Mercedes or Lexus. By the way he walked about 100ft to tell me this. This is what a BMW owner thought of my 2012 TL. On the way out he just waved and smiled.
Franco